• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

This "fix" should no longer be perpetuated, it breaks the game entirely.

From what i've read and what i've experienced it breaks the game for some and not for others. I've played through section where there have been reports of missing people and scripted sequences... and they played fine for me. I've hit no point where i am unable to progress. On Guru3D there are people reporting issues... there are also people like me reporting no issues.

Perhaps i'm going to hit a brick wall soon, but until then i think it should be noted that this "fix" "breaks the game entirely for some." It certainly eliminates the stuttering.

Truant

From what i've read and what i've experienced it breaks the game for some and not for others. I've played through section where there have been reports of missing people and scripted sequences... and they played fine for me. I've hit no point where i am unable to progress. On Guru3D there are people reporting issues... there are also people like me reporting no issues.

Perhaps i'm going to hit a brick wall soon, but until then i think it should be noted that this "fix" "breaks the game entirely for some." It certainly eliminates the stuttering.

For me it happened after you got the Posession ability. The Luteces never showed up, and the entire ball sequence was missing. I thought it was some form of NG+, but then big chunks of the level failed to load as well.

antitrop

Have you tried exiting Chen's gunshop with it set to false? I got a never-ending loading screen doing that. Thankfully it was instantly solved by reverting the value to true and I didn't have to replay any parts of the game or anything.

Have you tried exiting Chen's gunshop with it set to false? I got a never-ending loading screen doing that. Thankfully it was instantly solved by reverting the value to true and I didn't have to replay any parts of the game or anything.

I've not gotten to, or exited Chen's gunshop yet, though i have played through the section Truant mentioned (in the post above yours) without issue.

I am nervous continuing into the game with the variable set to FALSE, but the stuttering is SO annoying with it set to TRUE.

I've read that when some people get to a point where the game was broken, they were unable to change back to TRUE and continue on... instead they had to start over entirely. You seem to indicate at the gunshop you were able to change the setting and continue on without restarting.... please confirm.

t-ramp

I played a couple hours last night. Changed the PoolSize and MemoryPools before I started, as well as the mouse settings, and played mostly without any hiccups. I wasn't using FRAPS, but it seems like the in-game vsync, if it really was on when I thought I had it on, creates tearing. Using D3DOverrider seems to eliminate that.

Great game thus far.

I just read on Guru that setting Ambient Occulsion to Ultra eliminates the stuttering... has anyone tired this (i am currently unable to test).

scitek

The stuttering is getting really annoying and the poolsize tweak doesn't do shit. This and Tomb Raider are prime examples as to why PC gaming isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

For people that don't know what they're doing, I suppose. Once you get a routine of things to try going, though, it gets easier.

I just read on Guru that setting Ambient Occulsion to Ultra eliminates the stuttering... has anyone tired this (i am currently unable to test).

Doesn't make a difference at all. I am convinced the stuttering is just a patchable issue and not something you can solve completely with fiddling with settings.

scitek

So did you fix the stuttering? No offense, but I doubt that you did.

I honestly don't even know what stuttering you're referring to, so take that for what it's worth. The only stuttering I experience is when the game loads new areas, but that's a UE3 issue. Alice, Bulletstorm, Arkham City all suffer from it.

antitrop

Doesn't make a difference at all. I am convinced the stuttering is just a patchable issue and not something you can solve completely with fiddling with settings.
After following this thread since page 1, I completely agree.

This shit can't be tweaked. It must be patched and hopefully as quickly as possible.

I honestly don't even know what stuttering you're referring to, so take that for what it's worth. The only stuttering I experience is when the game loads new areas, but that's a UE3 issue. Alice, Bulletstorm, Arkham City all suffer from it.

hmm. ive never had this issue before with other games, but the stuttering i'm experiencing in Infintie is quite obvious whenever i make quick movements or move into new large environments. My rig: i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, MSI N670 @ 1300, 16 GB Ram, SSD, etc.

After following this thread since page 1, I completely agree.

This shit can't be tweaked. It must be patched and hopefully as quickly as possible.

Honestly, how is something like this not resolved prior to release. Play testers and developers must have experiencing the same issues while designing the game. I can't think of the last modern PC release that wasn't at least semi botched. It's a shame.

Sullichin

I'm surprised people are using SweetFX for this, at least at this point. The game just came out, why not experience the visuals/color balance as intended? Although I suppose you could use it for more AA.

Glad to say the game is running incredibly smoothly for me on an HD7870 with everything on Ultra except I think I toned down AO to normal and shadows to very high. I can't even notice the difference and I think it helped with small frame drops. Of course I get the small stutter when it's loading new data, but the same thing happens in Dishonored and Batman AC for me so I don't think it's anything I can solve. It's not like Witcher 2 where I was getting constant stuttering, is that what some people are referring to or just when new data is being streamed in?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh thank you based computer genius. No, seriously thank you from someone who doesn't know shit about PC gaming. Downloading the 13.3 vs. beta drivers did the trick. Only complaint, and this is minor (though slightly annoying), but the link you directed me to installed about four different programs on my PC.

That's odd. I'm on Team Green and download via Guru3D regularly but have encountered no odd behaviour (as far as Nvidia drivers are concerned, Guru3D uses the official UK link). I'd recommend a virus/malware scan (e.g. MS Security Essentials and Malware Bytes) to be on the safe side.

scitek

hmm. ive never had this issue before with other game, but the stuttering i'm experiencing in Infintie is quite obvious with my i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, MSI N670 @ 1300, 16 GB Ram, SSD, etc.

Describe it, is it like microstutter, where it looks like it's running at 30fps even though it says 60? Or is it like every few steps it hitches a little? Because the latter is remedied by turning BackgroundLevelStreaming to False, and isn't really fixable.

Eyothrie

Yes, that is the stuttering everyone has been talking about in this thread. After insinuating that some of us don't know what we're doing because we're upset at this (and other recent unfixable PC game launch bugs), I was hoping you had a fix for us.

antitrop

Honestly, how is something like this not resolved prior to release. Play testers and developers must have experiencing the same issues while designing the game. I can't think of the last modern PC release that wasn't at least semi botched. It's a shame.

Honestly, this is a pretty decent port. It's a bit disingenuous to expect every PC port to be perfect the first week it launches.

I usually give them the benefit of the doubt until the the first patch is released. If it doesn't fix the major problems people are having at launch, THAT'S when I get upset.

Describe it, is it like microstutter, where it looks like it's running at 30fps even though it says 60? Or is it like every few steps it hitches a little? Because the latter is remedied by turning BackgroundLevelStreaming to False, and isn't really fixable.

It is fixable... by not using unreal garbage 3, or allowing the entire level to just preload into ram. (you know, like the good old times when games didn't constantly stutter)

I'll take a 15 second loading screen every 15 minutes over having to deal with gamebreaking stutter all day every day.
This unreal engine 'patented streaming technology' has been nothing but a curse on gaming.

Updated my post prior to your response to describe the "stutter". The game stutters when i make quick movements with the mouse (side to side, up & down) and when i enter new enviroments (ie, turn a corner, see a new vista). It's odd. Average FPS is between 80 and 100. But there are large inconsistencies. second by second my fps might be 89, 82, 95, 88, 97, 15, 86, 94, 101, 88, 92, 96, 82, 21, 106, 94, and so on. And i experience that in corridors just as much as i do in areas with huge vistas. It appears to be "hitching" for no reason (my GPU can handle this game).

scitek

Yes, that is the stuttering everyone has been talking about in this thread. After insinuating that some of us don't know what they're doing because we're upset at this (and other unfixable PC game launch bugs), I was hoping you had a fix for us.

Well knowing when something's messed up and when something is just annoying and has to unfortunately be put up with is no different. Turning BackgroundLevelStreaming to False alleviates the issue by forcing the entire level to load at once, but unfortunately most games require it to be on so the next major part of the game can be streamed in. Arkham City hitches like crazy when flying around the city, and will crash with BackgroundLevelStreaming on False after only moving a couple hundred yards. Bulletstorm, on the other hand, I believe works fine.

I can post what all I'm using if you want, so you can see if it helps at all, but that particular issue likely isn't going away.

Honestly, this is a pretty decent port. It's a bit disingenuous to expect every PC port to be perfect the first week it launches.

I usually give them the benefit of the doubt until the the first patch is released. If it doesn't fix the major problems people are having at launch, THAT'S when I get upset.

^^ This. This port could have been MUCH worse, and the fact they bothered with the high res textures at all is testament to Irrationals dedication to the PC market. Them and Valve seem to be the only ones who give a shit anymore.

I'm surprised people are using SweetFX for this, at least at this point. The game just came out, why not experience the visuals/color balance as intended? Although I suppose you could use it for more AA.

Glad to say the game is running incredibly smoothly for me on an HD7870 with everything on Ultra except I think I toned down AO to normal and shadows to very high. I can't even notice the difference and I think it helped with small frame drops. Of course I get the small stutter when it's loading new data, but the same thing happens in Dishonored and Batman AC for me so I don't think it's anything I can solve. It's not like Witcher 2 where I was getting constant stuttering, is that what some people are referring to or just when new data is being streamed in?

The need for SweetFX is ridiculously overstated. This game is fucking gorgeous. Some people just can't be satisfied, it seems.

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm running on a 660Ti, Ultra, and only a few issues. I've had the game get minimized from big picture mode a couple times, but it didn't crash (...?) and I do have some stuttering, but not enough to complain. Though I'm so thrilled to be playing this game it's hard to be critical.

rac

Banned
this game

is a great game

It really is apart from the stuttering which I think I've finally gotten rid of
for the most part
. And I was using the default FOV for about an hour because I edited the wrong ini, that was horrible.

1999 mode was kicking my ass in the beginning but now I'm starting to enjoy it a lot more. Maybe its the gear that I've picked up through the game so far.

antitrop

Whoa the mouse sensitivity is crrrrrazy. Had to switch to using my 360 controller :(

Open XUserOptions.ini in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Change:

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.100000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=0.700000

You can further tweak those to your liking.

Eyothrie

I can post what all I'm using if you want, so you can see if it helps at all, but that particular issue likely isn't going away.

I'll definitely try out what you've done. I've got nothing to lose at this point, haha. The issue is really annoying the crap out of me. I don't mind the FPS drops happening every now and then, but they're happening every 30-45 seconds when I approach a new area.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Okay now this is starting to piss me off.

Everytime I try to start a new game, the game freezes at the loading screen and crashes. I've tried lowering the quality, re-installing the game, restarting the PC, verifying the integrity of the files, rolling back to the 13.2 drivers (AMD) and un-ticking Steam cloud.

Can anybody help me out with this? This is beyond frustrating now.

I'm having the same problem, although I haven't re-installed the game. Hoping to find a fix before that. Let me know if you figure something out, if I re-install and it's still crashing on the first in-game load screen, I'll probably lose my mind and do something awful like play it on console.

Having this exact issue, anyone find a solution?

Red

Got it running again. Knocked shadows to low and AO to very high, everything else is topped. Still looks good despite the shadows. Would like to have them a little sharper but I need the performance. Didn't want to make a sacrifice in AO... Looks too good in this game. Huge difference from high to very high.

JaseC

Open XUserOptions.ini in C:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config

Change:

MinMouseLookSensitivity=0.100000
MaxMouseLookSensitivity=0.700000

You can further tweak those to your liking.

Cheers, I'll throw this in the OP.

JaseC

The default value for "minimum" is literally 4x that by default. Completely unacceptable for any modern mouse with a 4-digit DPI value.

Are you sure? I haven't touched that section of the file and it also reads 0.100000.

Manac0r

It was mentioned earlier about mouse controls being 'off', can confirm there is a 'non smooth' issue. Haven't tweaked sensivitivy but have used a Mamba, Sensei, R.A.T 7, G700 and MX performance (with acceleration on/off) and noticed something off. Using a 360 controller for now. By the by it is a very subtle issue and I can imagine lot of people not noticing it unless they were sensitive to the issue.

1999 aint no joke. I am getting wrecked. Its forcing me to use my powers perfectly though.
So satisfying.

Whats the easiest way to disable to HUD and Gun from the screen for shots?

t-ramp

It was mentioned earlier about mouse controls being 'off', can confirm there is a 'non smooth' issue. Haven't tweaked sensivitivy but have used a Mamba, Sensei, R.A.T 7, G700 and MX performance (with acceleration on/off) and noticed something off. Using a 360 controller for now. By the by it is a very subtle issue and I can imagine lot of people not noticing it unless they were sensitive to the issue.
I don't do a whole lot of gaming, but mouse controls almost always feel off to me. I'm never sure whether I like acceleration or not, or whether I'm imagining input lag, or what have you. I ended up playing last night with acceleration off and the sensitivity at maybe .5 (not sure, it was near maxed out on my modified sensitivity scale). Works okay, doesn't feel perfect, but serviceable enough. I'm using a MX518 on the medium default hardware sensitivity, by the way.

Also didn't notice stuttering other than the infrequent occurrences probably due to typical texture or area loading.

neoism

it looks alot better but it will make the game a little harder... don't know your ammo count, or and text for going in another area lol I pressed A on a door and thought my game froze but I just have to press A twice lol.... definitely looks better.. shame for no ui hud slider...smh game is amazing but this PC post is a 6/10 at best really disappointed in IR Games..... still get the shuttering no matter what I do :/

mileS

Im confused after reading that FoV patch coming on polygon.

If we set the slider all the way up without editing the .ini files or w/e. What number is the FoV set to?

2.5 hours in...Bioshock Infinite runs great for me 97% of the time. I'm only getting slight stuttering/hitching/freezing once every 5 minutes or so and it only lasts about half a second. It occurs when I approach a new "major" area so it's probably related to asset loading. The issue is very similar to what I experienced in Dishonored when that game first came out...it went away for me after one of the patches. Nowhere near as bad as what many folks were experiencing in Deus Ex: HR. Still...hopefully Irrational will address this in a patch soon.

The only XEngine.ini tweaks I made were in the [MemoryPools] section, mentioned earlier in this thread:

[MemoryPools]
FLightPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize=512
FModShadowPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize=512

I changed both values to 1024. I left the "PoolSize" and "bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming" settings alone at their defaults.

I also turned off the in-game VSync since it doesn't seem that the game has triple buffering. I forced vsync and triple buffering thru D3DOverrider.

Getting 60 FPS almost all of the time on a HD 7850 2GB (factory OC), at 1080p with most settings on ultra. Shadows turned down to High, ambient occlusion turned down a notch, and post processing set to Normal.

Top Bottom