• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Man I've never had a game crash as often as this one. I've stopped GPU Overclocking as well. Sometimes its freezing (on loading screens), sometimes it crashes to desktop with the audio stuck in the background (I've disabled Steam overlay to see if it helps) and once my PC flat out shut off (stopped GPU Overclocking after that).

t-ramp

Man I've never had a game crash as often as this one. I've stopped GPU Overclocking as well. Sometimes its freezing (on loading screens), sometimes it crashes to desktop with the audio stuck in the background (I've disabled Steam overlay to see if it helps) and once my PC flat out shut off (stopped GPU Overclocking after that).
Hasn't crashed on me once. Actually I haven't had any glitches or technical difficulties at all, other than the game not starting properly once. I think that was either an issue with D3DOverrider or just Steam trying to load something over my spotty tethered connection.

Has anyone compared frame rates between a stock and overclocked CPU, Sandy Bridge specifically?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Nothing else. I tried using SweetFX to inject SMAA but was having the same problem... Game doesn't want to launch when I'm using external programs it seems.

make sure your not using anything like fraps, or even things like logitech setpoint. if you are using rivatunner make sure its turned off compatibility mode (as i found if i had that on the game would crash at launch)

AndyBNV

Nvidia
You shouldn't double up on post-process anti-aliasing techniques as it'll diminish IQ. You'll decrease texture fidelity, and increase temporal aliasing. You may even reduce the quality of line aliasing if the two techniques get in each other's way.

Hasn't crashed on me once. Actually I haven't had any glitches or technical difficulties at all, other than the game not starting properly once. I think that was either an issue with D3DOverrider or just Steam trying to load something over my spotty tethered connection.

Has anyone compared frame rates between a stock and overclocked CPU, Sandy Bridge specifically?
Are you using an AMD GPU by chance?

Just did a long session without a crash. Only new changes was disabling the Steam overlay.

JRW

So far Ive tried:

1. Enable Vsync in game with Vsync set @ Application control in Nvidia control panel.
2. Disable in-game with Nivida control panel set to Force Vsync on.
3. Disable in game with Adaptive Vsync set in Nvidia control panel.
4. Disable in game with Nvidia control panel set to Application control and used D3DOverrider to force Vsync & Triple buffering.

The D3DOverrider method so far is working the best for me, seems to maintain 60fps better and even when it does drop a little it doesn't feel choppy.

GTX 480 w/ 314.22 driver / i7 920 @ 3.36ghz / 12gb / Win 7

Current settings:
Zt7MP51.jpg

aCcfYnr.jpg

mileS

Disabling in game vsync sent my fps soaring. Thanks for the suggestion, mileS. I was expecting it to stay above 30 more often, but it was getting an average of 60-80 once disabled.

D3DOverrider and CCC vsync and triple buffering won't work (game crashes if they are enabled), but I've been pushing my settings up to try and keep the frame rate low enough that it doesn't tear. And that's a much better problem to have. AO on high, textures very high, everything else on ultra. Still managing 45-60, good enough for me.

Glad its running better for you! D3D has been a bit strange for me lately. Has never crashed my game though. I start it before I launch the game, sometimes it works, sometimes I need to alt tab and close it and open it again to get it to stick.

t-ramp

You shouldn't double up on post-process anti-aliasing techniques as it'll diminish IQ. You'll decrease texture fidelity, and increase temporal aliasing. You may even reduce the quality of line aliasing if the two techniques get in each other's way.
I must say FXAA in this game looks fine to me. No desire to play around with extra techniques, especially if I'd have to use another vsync method.

Are you using an AMD GPU by chance?

Just did a long session without a crash. Only new changes was disabling the Steam overlay.
Yeah, a 6870. I don't know why, but the Steam overlay seems to be off for me as well. Does it simply not load if I'm using D3DOverrider?

Red

make sure your not using anything like fraps, or even things like logitech setpoint. if you are using rivatunner make sure its turned off compatibility mode (as i found if i had that on the game would crash at launch)
I am running Logitech set point for my kb&m. You think that's it? Why would that be an issue?

People using AMD cards, I really suggest using RadeonPro for forcing triple buffered vsync instead of D3Doverrider. I find it is much less temperamental. Also the newest version of RadeonPro, 1.1.1.0 has some new vsync options, like dynamic vsync and double vsync and a framerate limiter, along with a ton of other tweaking options.

Nakayumi

Just wanna give a big thanks to everyone who've been posting suggestions on how to fix the stuttering in this thread. Second half of the game became so much more enjoyable because I managed to eliminate 99% of the stutter. It seriously ruined a few big moments early on in the game, to the point where I was not even sure if I was gonna continue or wait for a patch. Will play through the whole thing again to enjoy the opening sections stutter free. Man, what an experience it was.

Vitor711

OK, I've had this problem on a few games before (BLOPS 2 being the most recent), and it's driving me nuts.

If I activate V-sync on a few games (whether using the in-game options or overriding with the nvidia control panel, with or without trible buffering), I get hella micro-stutter.

My FPS counter will say its 60 but it looks super choppy despite this. It happens for a few seconds at a time pretty frequently and it's maddening. The game says everything's still smooth but it's clearly not.

I hate tearing but I prefer it over this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pagusas

Elden Member
OK, I've had this problem on a few games before (BLOPS 2 being the most recent), and it's driving me nuts.

If I activate V-sync on a few games (whether using the in-game options or overriding with the nvidia control panel, with or without trible buffering), I get hella micro-stutter.

My FPS counter will say its 60 but it looks super choppy despite this. It happens for a few seconds at a time pretty frequently and it's maddening. The game says everything's still smooth but it's clearly not.

I hate tearing but I prefer it over this. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried forcing a frame rate limit? I know it sounds silly but that helped a lot of my microstutter issues. I did it through Afterburner.

Ce-Lin

question, is a "poolsize" value of 1800 correct for a 3 GB VRAM card ?

the game runs silky smooth here with everything on Ultra @1080p, I'm seriously impressed, 660 Ti 3 GB (Factory OC), VRAM usage is 90% of the time well above 2 GB (2200-2400 MB) I heard and read that 1 GB extra on the 660 Ti was useless as the card would run out of "rendering juice" first, well that doesn't seem the case for Bioshock Infinite, my neighbor got a better card with the GTX 670 2 GB but he's struggling at the moment at Ultra settings with the stuttering issues, lowering texture quality and level of detail seems his best option to keep constant 60 fps (except for scripted loading areas).

Nibel

That's really weird.. game never crashed for me once..

epmode

The Nvidia control center is NOT the same thing as D3DOverrider. In fact, forcing triple buffering in the control center does nothing for most games. Try D3DOverrider. Vsync plus triple buffering.

JRW

The Nvidia control center is NOT the same thing as D3DOverrider. In fact, forcing triple buffering in the control center does nothing for most games. Try D3DOverrider. Vsync plus triple buffering.

I can vouch for this ... When Far Cry 3 first came out I was trying to force vsync & triple buffer through nvidia control panel but triple buffering just wasn't working, D3DOverider did the trick.

haikira

Is using Nvidia Inspector to limit my FPS to 60 a good idea, or should i be using something else?

I noticed the default profile for the game has it set to 60.

-PXG-

Is using Nvidia Inspector to limit my FPS to 60 a good idea, or should i be using something else?

Use these values in XEngine

bSmoothFrameRate=TRUE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=59
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=61

EDIT

With the latest drivers, alternate frame rendering is on by default.

scitek

Is it? Every time I've used Nvidia's framerate limiter it's been a stuttery mess. I'd turn it off and use Afterburner instead.

r3n4ud

Man, I'd love for d3doverrider to work for me. I double-click it, but won't open. It's running in task manager but not there in the system tray.

Upon researching the issue, I restarted web browser and changed compatibility, but still nothing. Any clues? Using Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Man, I'd love for d3doverrider to work for me. I double-click it, but won't open. It's running in task manager but not there in the system tray.

Upon researching the issue, I restarted web browser and changed compatibility, but still nothing. Any clues? Using Windows 7 64 bit if that helps.

I can tell you it shouldn't be a Windows 7 64-bit issue; I've got it running fine.

Is it version 2.0.1?

Bog

Junior Ace
In the benchmark I'm in the 100s, but in certain scenes I get huge dips. The first noticeable one was when I walked into the first area and looked at the holy water. Solid 60 looking at anything else. 20s looking at the water dish.

2500k/670/16GB

Anyone else?

This game is so pretty! My 7850 can basically handle almost everything on high or ultra with no frame issues, really pleasant surprise for a card I bought about a year ago (I guess only playing LoL never gave me a great idea of what it could do).

masterkajo

After having played the game for about 2 hours now (had very busy week) using both D3DOverrider and RadeonPro to force Vsync, I prefere RadeonPro now. While there is no screen tearing with D3DOverrider, I feel very small micro stuttering when quickly turning with a mouse (fine for controller).

RadeonPro allows for vsync with dynamic framerate control which occasionally gives some small tearing (when FPS <60) but at the same time there is hardly any mouse lag when turning around quickly. On the plus side, the Steam Overlay and Achievement Popups seem to work with RadeonPro (did not with D3DOverrider).

Vitor711

Thanks! Will try this along with setting an FPS limit with MSI. Hopefully I can replay the game with no more image tearing with this.

It's such a shame too as the game looks incredible. I have to limit AO to Normal and Shadows to Very High along with Normal Post Processing in order to keep a steady 60FPS on my machine but, man, even with things turned down a tiny bit at 1920x1080, the game still takes my breath away.

Not technically as impressive as Crysis 3 but still every bit as enjoyable to admire, if not more so.

EDIT: Turns out I already had my FPS limit set to 60 afterall, didn't help. Tracking down D3DOverrider now to see if that works.

After having played the game for about 2 hours now (had very busy week) using both D3DOverrider and RadeonPro to force Vsync, I prefere RadeonPro now. While there is no screen tearing with D3DOverrider, I feel very small micro stuttering when quickly turning with a mouse (fine for controller).

RadeonPro allows for vsync with dynamic framerate control which occasionally gives some small tearing (when FPS <60) but at the same time there is hardly any mouse lag when turning around quickly. On the plus side, the Steam Overlay and Achievement Popups seem to work with RadeonPro (did not with D3DOverrider).

Yeah, the dynamic vysnc disables vysnc when the fps drops below 60 fps and seems to be implemented differently when above 60 fps. It's the only form of vsync I can get working in Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, oddly enough. You can also use normal triple buffered vysnc if you want to eliminate all tearing.

Red

I am getting a near-constant 45+ with all settings on ultra, except for very high shadows, now that I've disabled v sync. The lowest I've seen it dip is 38, in a single room that featured a lot of shadows.

So I'm getting some tearing. Fuck it. I want to enjoy the game, not tinker with it endlessly. And it looks fantastic all-around.

This is more how I expected it to perform. Good stuff.

It's been said a million times, but the artists at Irrational did a great job bringing Columbia to life.

Vitor711

THE STUTTERING IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M SO HAPPY! Thank you so much for the D3DOverrider suggestion.

Now if only I could get my copy of Windows 7 to stop asking me for permission every time I want to open that and MSI so that they could auto-launch on startup.... Nothing a quick Google-ing shouldn't fix :)

Yeah, a 6870. I don't know why, but the Steam overlay seems to be off for me as well. Does it simply not load if I'm using D3DOverrider?

I get the same thing. I'm going to give RadeonPro a shot and see if it can do triple buffering without disrupting the Steam overlay.

I can't launch the game because I messed with skipping the intro logos. All I see is the Irrational logo and then a blank screen, but I can access Steam Community. This is what my XEngine looks like:

Code:
[FullScreenMovie]
bForceNoMovies=FALSE
SkippableMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
SkippableMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
SkippableMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
SkippableAfterFiveSecondsMovies=BioshockInfinite_Credits
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=2KLogoSweep720p2997
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=IrrationalLogoTest
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=BSI_AnimatedLogo_720p2997
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=BSI_AttractMovie
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=BioshockInfinite_Credits
StartupMovies=LoopingMovieUntilStartupFinishes
SkippableMovies=AMDLogo720p
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=AMDLogo720p

masterkajo

I can't launch the game because I messed with skipping the intro logos. All I see is the Irrational logo and then a blank screen, but I can access Steam Community. This is what my XEngine looks like:

Looks the same here as far as I can tell. But you can always delete the XEngine.ini file in the My documents folder and restart the game. It will create the default one again and you can choose to edit it from anew.

Code:
[FullScreenMovie]
bForceNoMovies=FALSE
SkippableMovies=2KLogoSweep720p2997
SkippableMovies=IrrationalLogoTest
SkippableMovies=UE3AnimatedLogo_ProRes
SkippableAfterFiveSecondsMovies=BioshockInfinite_Credits
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=2KLogoSweep720p2997
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=IrrationalLogoTest
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=BSI_AnimatedLogo_720p2997
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=BSI_AttractMovie
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=BioshockInfinite_Credits
StartupMovies=LoopingMovieUntilStartupFinishes
SkippableMovies=AMDLogo720p
MoviesThatDisableBackgroundAudio=AMDLogo720p
Try restarting. mines do that occasionally.

Also is this a problem with the game??Standing here the door of this ship looks dark.

Moving just a few inches closer causes the lighting to be normal I guess.

Ken Levine &#8207;@IGLevine 14m

RT @korkyplunger: Those experiencing "stuttering" on BioShock Infinite PC, changing bInitializeShadersOnDemand to TRUE in INIs might help.

@korkyplunger

Technical Director at Irrational Games in Boston, working on BioShock Infinite. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own, not those of my employer.

Pagusas

Elden Member

RT @korkyplunger: Those experiencing "stuttering" on BioShock Infinite PC, changing bInitializeShadersOnDemand to TRUE in INIs might help.

@korkyplunger

Technical Director at Irrational Games in Boston, working on BioShock Infinite. The opinions expressed here are strictly my own, not those of my employer.

trying it now

Reporting back: Nope, disable the Pool tweak we all did and just did this "fix" and did not help at all, stuttering came back after about 5 minutes of play.

I can get the game running pretty much stutter free with sweetfx, but I can't find a way to get screen tearing mitigated because using D3Doverrider crashes with Sweetfx.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Stuttering gone on my end, all the way, even the hiccups when loading.

glad its helping you. It looked like it may have helped at first, but as with how the stuttering always happened, after a few minutes of moving around a large area it kicked up for me so when ever i even did a 360 there would be a stutter. Like the memory was maxed out and be unloaded and new area loaded up, just all the time.

Going back to the pool tweak and back to complete smoothness.

gsx302

Hi guys! I am new to PC gaming and have a question. I have my pc hooked up to my tv. The text during the subtitles and when you pick up items is painfully small. Is there anything I can do to make both bigger? Thanks!

Hi guys! I am new to PC gaming and have a question. I have my pc hooked up to my tv. The text during the subtitles and when you pick up items is painfully small. Is there anything I can do to make both bigger? Thanks!

Scale HUD: Navigate to (My) Documents\my games\BioShock Infinite\XGame\Config and open XUI.ini. Find the MaxResolutionUpScale cvar and adjust it according to your resolution (e.g. 0.5 works well for 2560x1600). (Credit to epmode.)

This sounds like what you're looking for but it will effect the whole UI, I presume.

@korkyplunger

Quoting for new page. Really helped on my end.

Top Bottom