• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Redx508

I have the same GPU and the same settings except I am using in game v-sync and not forcing it through RadeonPro. I am also using borderless windowed mode instead of fullscreen. I get infrequent stuttering when it's probably streaming in new data, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to complain about it. A solid 60fps 90% of the time. Are you saying that once it hits 30fps it stays there? Because I had the same problem with Far Cry 3 until I switched to borderless windowed mode there. Also try changing "flip queue size" in RadeonPro to 1, this fixed stuttering in The Witcher 2 for me and I'm pretty sure I have it set to that for Infinite, too.

it will go back up to 60

joesmokey

Digging through this thread fixed my screen tearing issues, thanks guys.

I was trying to use Adaptive Vsync from nVidia's Control Panel with in-game vsync turned on and I could not control the screen tearing at all. Only way I could get it to work was by using Adaptive Vsync (Half frame rate), which of course limited me to 30fps.

Using D3DOverRider though has solved my screen tearing problems and allowed me to mainly stay at 60fps (with only slight dips here and there in the 40s).

I think I'm going to switch to playing this title at 2560x1440 rather than playing in surround at 5760x1200. It's just not an impressive title at all in surround.

Ce-Lin

I would say the opposite, actually, as it would stand out like a sore thumb against the rest of the game, which has its own unique, otherworldly aesthetic.

this, it looks pretty good already... better animated and rendered than non-Tress FX Lara's hair actually, also I don't fancy a 60% decrease in performance for just a single character' hair rendering in the 600 series Nvidia cards... very powerful and power efficient series for rendering but (intentionally?) crippled for computing :'( and yes I know you're working for Nvidia, hope in the future Nvidia counter Tress FX with a similar CUDA solution more suitable for said cards... I've got a feeling compute features are gonna be the next big thing in next-gen games...

Jedi2016

What kind of stuttering does the OP's notes fix? Because I noticed two different types.

I noticed the "entering a new area" stuttering immediately, and figured out that it goes away on its own after a few seconds. I can just stop moving and wait for the fps counter to peg back at 60, and off I go. Easy to do at the beginning before all hell breaks loose.

But then, after about an hour, maybe a little more, it got where it was stuttering all the time, and a LOT worse than the "new area" stutters. The fps counter reads between 50-60fps, but it's not a steady framerate.. it's almost like the game is pausing for about 1/8th of a second and then keeps going. The "loading" stuttering is still happening in addition to this as well.

GTX-680 @ 1080p, max everything. When the game's behaving itself, it's rock steady at 60fps, so I don't think this is strictly a problem with the card being overtaxed (it's not running that hot, either).

Does the pool size tweak fix both of those, or only the first?

Given the dev comments about how to fix it, this is something they're definitely aware of. I imagine the chances are high that this will be patched at some point.

Ahh I've just found that D3DOverrider works for me if I don't use SweetFX. And it does mask the stuttering caused by loading somewhat, but it still hitches.

hlhbk

I am experencing some mini frame rate drops in what appears to be background loading of the next areas. I never experience stuttering in the audio or gameplay. Is there anyway to fix this without breaking something in the game?

Vitor711

What kind of stuttering does the OP's notes fix? Because I noticed two different types.

I noticed the "entering a new area" stuttering immediately, and figured out that it goes away on its own after a few seconds. I can just stop moving and wait for the fps counter to peg back at 60, and off I go. Easy to do at the beginning before all hell breaks loose.

But then, after about an hour, maybe a little more, it got where it was stuttering all the time, and a LOT worse than the "new area" stutters. The fps counter reads between 50-60fps, but it's not a steady framerate.. it's almost like the game is pausing for about 1/8th of a second and then keeps going. The "loading" stuttering is still happening in addition to this as well.

GTX-680 @ 1080p, max everything. When the game's behaving itself, it's rock steady at 60fps, so I don't think this is strictly a problem with the card being overtaxed (it's not running that hot, either).

Given the dev comments about how to fix it, this is something they're definitely aware of. I imagine the chances are high that this will be patched at some point.

I found that forcing triple buffering through D3DOverrider fixed the micro-stutters for me.

Was having a similar issue - game said it was still at a constant 60FPS but it sure as hell didn't feel like it. I tried forcing triple buffering through the Nvidia control panel but that did nothing. D3D fixed it for me though.

If not, there's extra code you can put into the xEngine config that lets you set a max and minimum smoothed FPS. Should help with the drops. It's one of the links on the OP.

Zarx

this, it looks pretty good already... better animated and rendered than non-Tress FX Lara's hair actually, also I don't fancy a 60% decrease in performance for just a single character' hair rendering in the 600 series Nvidia cards... very powerful and power efficient series for rendering but (intentionally?) crippled for computing :'( and yes I know you're working for Nvidia, hope in the future Nvidia counter Tress FX with a similar CUDA solution more suitable for said cards... I've got a feeling compute features are gonna be the next big thing in next-gen games...

Nvidia have had some amazing hair tech for years it's just no one implemented it yet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECnvJeXXE8

hlhbk

I found that forcing triple buffering through D3DOverrider fixed the micro-stutters for me.

Was having a similar issue - game said it was still at a constant 60FPS but it sure as hell didn't feel like it. I tried forcing triple buffering through the Nvidia control panel but that did nothing. D3D fixed it for me though.

If not, there's extra code you can put into the xEngine config that lets you set a max and minimum smoothed FPS. Should help with the drops. It's one of the links on the OP.

I have tried the code, and I have d3doverrider on triple buffering.

Eyothrie

There seems to be two different issues people are lumping together as "stuttering" in this thread. Its quite confusing. One is the jerky look when panning the camera around while still maintaining 60fps (what I traditionally call "stuttering"), and the other is the "area loading" issue where FPS drops significantly for a small amount of time when entering new areas before climbing back up to 60fps.

I can't speak about the first issue as I've never experienced it. But I do have the "area loading" stuttering. I have a 680 and play at 1080p as well. Nothing in the OP helped at all. I've tried everything in this entire thread. At this point, I'm waiting for a patch from Irrational.

Jedi2016

Upping the pool size and setting the min/max smoothed framerates helped. I can tell I'm fighting it, though.. mouse latency goes up now and again, but the framerate's a lot smoother.

Eyothrie, I'm still getting the area loading as well, but the during-normal-gameplay stuttering is gone.

But my god, this game is gorgeous. I think it was someone in the screenshot thread said it best.. every frame is a work of art and worthy of screencapping.

scitek

Just an anecdotal FYI, but this morning I changed back to Normal PP instead of Alternate and the stuttering improved dramatically.

Jedi2016

Yeah, PP is the one setting I have turned "down" to Normal. I like the look of Alternate in that it gives a more realistic depth-of-field look, but it comes down to intent. If the artists made the game with Normal in mind, I'm not even sure why they bothered adding a different setting if it changes the look so much.

So far so good. I set my pool size to 1800 (3GB 7970) and enabled bInitializeShadersOnDemand and I've had a smooth experience so far with only minor quick drops when entering a new large area. I've played for an hour or so made my way through the starting area. Should my performance remain consistent? Basically, if I'm experiencing any stutter now should I be good for the rest of the game?

Jedi2016

I've played for an hour or so made my way through the starting area. Should my performance remain consistent? Basically, if I'm experiencing any stutter now should I be good for the rest of the game?
I got the impression from the way it was behaving, and past experience with this general type of problem, that it was more to do with how long I had been playing that session, rather than where I was at that particular moment. That if I had exited and restarted the game, the problem would have been cleared for another hour or so.

My last stretch was about the same length (about an hour and a half), and no trouble at all the second time. And it was a lot smoother when I zoned in the second time, even though it had been choppy in that same area previously.

hlhbk

I got the impression from the way it was behaving, and past experience with this general type of problem, that it was more to do with how long I had been playing that session, rather than where I was at that particular moment. That if I had exited and restarted the game, the problem would have been cleared for another hour or so.

My last stretch was about the same length (about an hour and a half), and no trouble at all the second time. And it was a lot smoother when I zoned in the second time, even though it had been choppy in that same area previously.

In my case once I got to Columbia and started walking around on the first street if I went from the building on the right (to avoid spoilers) and walked all the way over to the entrance of the street across from it about 3/4th of the way over my FPS dip from a solid 60 FPS to the mid 30's and movement becomes jerky for about a second and goes back to normal.

This is how it always acts when it stutters. I won't be playing the game either till the community finds a fix or they release a patch to fix this.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Is there anyway to lock the framerate at 30?

zDk89ak.png

I'm assuming your monitor is 60hz.

Open Nvidia Inspector, Select the wrench and screw driver icon, then select the Bioshock infinite profile at the top. Set VSync to 1/2 refresh rate. Apply, and it should lock at 30 fps.

big_z

i have no stutter issues anymore. everything is maxed out with FXAA off (i use mirhaandi smaa injector). the only other changes made are:

post processing: normal
dynamic shadows: very high
bInitializeShadersOnDemand in XEngine.ini set to TRUE. (changing in game settings seems to set this back to false so do this last)
frame lock is off
vsync is set to on in the nvidia driver
playing with an xbox controller as even slow smooth mouse movements seem hitchy for some reason. movement is incredibly smooth with the controller.

I do not use d3doverrider as i noticed when messing around in dead space 3 that it causes stuttering(very apparent when using a controller and rotating the camera). Setting vsync to half refresh in nvidias drivers also causes stuttering.

EDIT: hmm seems fine for a while and then starts stuttering around areas the game is loading in stuff(doorways). maybe it's not unloading stuff correctly or due to the higher quality assests on pc the load points dont have enough time to stream in smoothly so it buckles trying to catch up. i've actually gotten it to freeze the game followed by a loading icon to pop up going through doors. how this gets through testing blows my mind. also curious how reviewers didnt notice. maybe they played with the automatic presets.

So all these folks with 2gb and 3gb VRAM cards are saying that the game is almost maxing out the VRAM. Playing on 1GB 6950, I see VRAM getting up in the mid 900mb range (per radeonpro). Does this mean that I'm seeing textures that are not as high res as folks with better cards? If anyone knows, I'd love hear exactly what that extra VRAM gets you...

nomis

BioShock Infinite may not have the highest resolution textures, or the best models, or GPU-accelerated hair, but it looks "better" than almost every game this generation, especially when you crank up the res to 4K.

Can't wait for the inevitable sequel that will surely have all that technical whizz-bang included.

Not sure why "better" needed quotation marks.

It looks better. The lighting isn't ray-traced to perfect photorealism, it's just the best lit game I've ever seen.

Danj

I had the same problems with this that I had with Tomb Raider :( my poor Mobility Radeon 5850 can't cope with modern games any more, I need a new gaming laptop. Had to turn it down to 720p/Medium to get decent frame rates.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
So all these folks with 2gb and 3gb VRAM cards are saying that the game is almost maxing out the VRAM. Playing on 1GB 6950, I see VRAM getting up in the mid 900mb range (per radeonpro). Does this mean that I'm seeing textures that are not as high res as folks with better cards? If anyone knows, I'd love hear exactly what that extra VRAM gets you...

What textures you see depends on what texture setting you choose in the options. VRAM allocation does not necessarily equal VRAM requirement, but larger amounts should help with performance (esp. at higher resolutions), pop-in/loading etc...

itxaka

Defeatist
ugh, the stuttering is horrible when using the rails to get in and out of figthings, and Im running it from my ssd. Argh.

Irrational replied to me on Twitter. At least they're looking into it:

Irrational Games ‏@IrrationalGames 22h
@SteffanTJ We're still investigating those that say they have stuttering. Check our website for details.

Shaneus

Irrational replied to me on Twitter. At least they're looking into it:

Irrational Games ‏@IrrationalGames 22h
@SteffanTJ We're still investigating those that say they have stuttering. Check our website for details.
I don't know if that means "check for further details" or "check in case we post details". Because I can't see anything on their site about it, nor their forums (though I didn't check THAT thoroughly).

thuway

Don't hate me for this GAF, but I am really close to the end, and wanted to max out all my abilities with a cheat- is there one out there?

MaLDo

If it makes any difference, I haven't had any stuttering issues. Not in several hours of play,

beyond a random temporary freeze when it loads a new area or saves the game.

But this is exactly the problem that affects everyone and MUST be fixed by Irrational. This problem can produce sound or frame stuttering when happens but the problem is very important itself. It can be the streaming thread is running in the same core than renderer thread. I've tested installing the game into RAM and the pauses are exactly the same. I think is not texture related so changing pool size can't fix the problem. Maybe less second level stutter because the game maybe has some other memory leak problems. So the real problem, pauses everywhere, affect everyone. Irrational talking about "those" persons is april fools joke for me.

big_z

But this is exactly the problem that affects everyone and MUST be fixed by Irrational. This problem can produce sound or frame stuttering when happens but the problem is very important itself. It can be the streaming thread is running in the same core than renderer thread. I've tested installing the game into RAM and the pauses are exactly the same. I think is not texture related so changing pool size can't fix the problem. Maybe less second level stutter because the game maybe has some other memory leak problems. So the real problem, pauses everywhere, affect everyone. Irrational talking about "those" persons is april fools joke for me.

This is kind of what I mentioned above. Has anyone set the graphics to low to immitate the consoles and checked to see if it stutters?

On pc the game is trying to load far more data in the same span as the consoles. Either irrational didn't account for this or the engine can't handle it and therefore the game struggles to keep up.

nib95

Banned

I don't think it's that important at all really. In-fact, most PC games I play pause somewhat during loads or saves. For me it lasts like 1-2 seconds and occurs only every 15-20mins or more.

The game always freezes for me at the loading screen right after the fireman and I have to CTL ALT DEL because Bioshock Infinite has stopped working.

I have

680GTX SLI
16GB of RAM
i7-3770K
Asus P8Z77-V
850W Power Supply

I keep reading about shuttering issues, has anyone fixed freezing issues?

I have done driver updating and memtest to make sure my RAM is working properly.

EDIT: I guess I am suppose to wait for a patch.

I have the same exact issue. Although its not just Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider and Battlefield are also giving me issues! Same exact problem.

I don't think it's that important at all really. In-fact, most PC games I play pause somewhat during loads or saves. For me it lasts like 1-2 seconds and occurs only every 15-20mins or more.
I think it's happening far more frequently for many people.

Scrabble

Is anybody using Geforce Experience? I tried it and got great performance, though it suggested leaving antialising off I decided to have it on and it was fine. I played around with it in other games as well and so far I think it's pretty awesome.

Anyone notice the game looks bright white when outside sometime and when you go inside the colors get warmer and its not a white out? I don't think I have the brightness turned up too high.

Is the overclock on my Titan causing the game to crash? Does it about every hour or so it seems no pattern.

dogstar

Banned

I only get a slight judder when 'Saving Profile' - other than that I get no stutters, so its not a problem that affects everyone at all... the game is always very smooth.

Running max settings apart from dynamic shadows on V-High and 'Alternate' Post Processing... no ini tweaks

2500k 4.4 - GTX670 (314.22) - 8GB RAM - Win7 64.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Pazuzu9 said:
I think it's happening far more frequently for many people
It is - area-tresholds are often <30seconds apart(they can be pinpointed easily, and they occur on any level-of detail) when you're actually exploring, and there's a few cases where you keep crossing them during combat as well. They seem to be fairly invariant of I/O speed too - I am getting them on an SSD.

It's not gamebreaking, but it's definitely degrading the experience.

big_z

Anyone notice the game looks bright white when outside sometime and when you go inside the colors get warmer and its not a white out? I don't think I have the brightness turned up too high.

Is the overclock on my Titan causing the game to crash? Does it about every hour or so it seems no pattern.

The game changes the color overlay effect depending on your environment. Sometimes it's very apparent. There's also a brightness setting that tells you how to set it correctly in the game. Follow that and you should be good to go.

As for the crashing run a temp monitoring program and check the next time it crashes. I've noticed windows has turned to ugly mode sometimes when exiting or alt tabbing out which sometimes also crashes. Windows says its detected a performance problem so I'm guessing the current nvidia drivers might be buggy or there's a memory leak in the game.

Top Bottom