• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Ricker

Ok so on my 560Ti,I finally got the game to run with almost none of the stuttering...I turned off Ambient Occlusion,it seems like a 2 year old card with 1024 of Vram really doesnt like AO,I lowered the resolution to 1600x900,lowered all the other settings on high,except one I forget who is on Very high,Post Processing at normal and added the bInitializeShadersOnDemand to TRUE,that last one really seemed to help...I get the little stutter when a door opens to a new area but it runs smoothly after...

MaLDo

I don't think it's that important at all really. In-fact, most PC games I play pause somewhat during loads or saves. For me it lasts like 1-2 seconds and occurs only every 15-20mins or more.

Most? Now I have 223 games installed and I can't remember one with those problems. Maybe Arkham City but less than Infinite.

Using 2700K @5ghz 32 gb ram and 680GTX sli.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Why am I not experiencing stuttering on my modest GPU?

My situation:

Ultra settings excepting high shadows and high SSAO
GTX 460 768MB
i5 3570
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit
HDD, not SSD
D3Doverrider for vsync/triple buffering, no external AA solution
1080p

Is it something about my setup?

Or is the stuttering there but I'm not "experiencing it" like some of you guys because I'm not expecting a perfect, consistent 60fps?

I get some frame drops, as I would expect playing between 30 and 60 most of the time, but it never freezes up for a whole second, as some are describing.

Is there something about high end hardware that causes this? Or is it that people with higher end hardware have higher expectations and are more sensitive to the issue, i.e., I'm oblivious?

Eyothrie

Some of you might not be sensitive to the "area loading" stuttering, but I'm willing to bet my house that it is happening on all systems.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
If the stuttering everyone is talking about is that the frame rate drops during area transitions then yeah I'm experiencing it but I'm also of the camp that doesn't really think it's that big of a deal.

Eyothrie

If the stuttering everyone is talking about is that the frame rate drops during area transitions then yeah I'm experiencing it but I'm also of the camp that doesn't really think it's that big of a deal.

Its a big deal to me. When I'm getting a solid 60fps and then boom, a sudden drop to 39-40fps, it kills the immersion.

Some of you might not be sensitive to the "area loading" stuttering, but I'm willing to bet my house that it is happening on all systems.

I get a dip in framerate when transitioning to a new area but it was happening for less than a second and happened very infrequently. I've definitely experienced much much worse in other games with similiar streaming. I have a feeling that the issue is more significant for some than for others.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I dont see how people could "miss" the stuttering most of us are talking about, just rotate 360 degrees and watch the game chug, not smooth at all (until I did the pool memory fix in this thread)

I think lots of people are having lots of different types of stuttering issues, not one single type. As my issue was fixed, yes when loading a new area there is a brief moment where the game isnt completely smooth, but that only happens when entering a new area, and it happens in almost all games I've played.

The other stuttering I mentioned above happens after a few minutes of being in the game, doesnt matter the area, its like the game overloads the vram and has to start swapping things out and cant keep up fast enough when you do something as simple as turn around. this was fixed by the pool side change and launcher option. Its also possible to see this temporarily fixed by going into the options, changeing your texture size, then changing it back *you'll see the whole game world like quickly refresh* and bam the game will be smooth again for like 2 minutes. Then it goes back to stuttering.

So one issue is texture memory management, we have a fix that works in this thread for that (without any side effects it seems). The other issue I think people are having is different then that.

I highly suggest people use fraps or some type of vid capture to show the issues they are having.

I dont see how people could "miss" the stuttering most of us are talking about, just rotate 360 degrees and watch the game chug, not smooth at all (until I did the pool memory fix in this thread)

I think lots of people are having lots of different types of stuttering issues, not one single type. As my issue was fixed, yes when loading a new area there is a brief moment where the game isnt completely smooth, but that only happens when entering a new area, and it happens in almost all games I've played.

The other stuttering I mentioned above happens after a few minutes of being in the game, doesnt matter the area, its like the game overloads the vram and has to start swapping things out and cant keep up fast enough when you do something as simple as turn around. this was fixed by the pool side change and launcher option. Its also possible to see this temporarily fixed by going into the options, changeing your texture size, then changing it back *you'll see the whole game world like quickly refresh* and bam the game will be smooth again for like 2 minutes. Then it goes back to stuttering.

So one issue is texture memory management, we have a fix that works in this thread for that (without any side effects it seems). The other issue I think people are having is different then that.

Ok, that sounds more like what would have people upset and scrambling for a fix. The quick dip in framerate when transitioning to a new area seemed like too minor an issue for the reaction and not unheard of in other games.

d00d3n

I configured the game with the ini fixes from the OT. Resolution 2560x1440, w. everything maxed except dynamic shadows and post processing. Running an i5-3570k, 8 gig ram, geforce gtx 580 x 2 (sli), win7 64 bit, game installed on steam.

Anyone else getting offputtingly low quality textures on locked safes, retractable gratings separating areas, the point counter on the shotgun shooting game, and a couple of other objects, unless you are REALLY close? The objects return to their ugly forms immediately when you move away from them. Maybe some specific ini fix causing this? Or is the Unreal engine to blame?

iavi

If it wasn't for the stutter, I'd only notice the obvious loading between chapters, which is dope, cause the game has some really large hubs; must be the reason the Vram usage is so high. It'd all feel so seamless, were not for these annoying as stutters.

MaLDo

Again, not for me... I hate stutters, low frame rates, tearing etc... my expectations are very high.

I'm Sorry but I have more confidence in a cg joakim than someone without pauses in bioshock infinite: P

The problem is this (video with lowest settings)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY7wA5q1qeg

Game hitches in

00:48
01:02
01:36
01:50
01:59
02:30
02:47
02:49

and there is another one in the end of the video (02:56)

I get a dip in framerate when transitioning to a new area but it was happening for less than a second and happened very infrequently. I've definitely experienced much much worse in other games with similiar streaming. I have a feeling that the issue is more significant for some than for others.

If it wasn't for the stutter, I'd only notice the obvious loading between chapters, which is dope, cause the game has some really large hubs; must be the reason the Vram usage is so high. It'd all feel so seamless, were not for these annoying as stutters.

9 pauses in less than 3 minutes. Really?

So there are 9 chapters in 3 minutes. This game must have a new record.

Can someone tell me how I can use a free roam camera or no clipping in Infinite? I wanna make a video and sorta need some cool camera angles for it

Pagusas

Elden Member
I'm Sorry but I have more confidence in a cg joakim than someone without pauses in bioshock infinite: P

Game hitches in

And this completely confirmed my theory, people are talking about different types of stuttering. What I had (and what people were complaining about in the beginning) was MUCH worse then what was shown in that video. it happened when you just turned around in a 360. or just walking around in the same area back and forth.

iavi

You're misunderstanding me. I'm saying that if it wasn't for all the stutter that I'm experiencing, the large chapter hubs of Infinite would be impressive; no loading for areas that large is one of my main requests for the next-gen..

Never happened to me at all. Specifically for the first 3 hours I played with no pool changes either. The only "stuttering" I saw throughout the 16 hours of play time was the level loads which became minor after I did the pool changes (after that initial 3 hours I mentioned). I never saw any chugging when turning around at all. Smooth 60fps. I'm not saying it's not happening to people, but it never happened to me. I can understand folks being upset about it if that's what you're seeing. That would drive me nuts.

My system again:

i5 2500k @4.5
GTX 680
8GB of RAM

Everything Ultra except for shadows on Very High and SSAO which is on High.

I'm using D3DOverrider and Fraps while playing by the way.

j-wood

I'm thinking about upgrading my gtx 460 to the 660. Would that be a worthwhile upgrade? My processor is an i7 2600k, so there shouldn't be a bottleneck there

MaLDo

And this completely confirmed my theory, people are talking about different types of stuttering. What I had (and what people were complaining about in the beginning) was MUCH worse then what was shown in that video. it happened when you just turned around in a 360. or just walking around in the same area back and forth.

pc specs?

Pagusas

Elden Member
pc specs?

Asus P8z77 Pro
i7-2600k @ 3.7ghz
16gb DDR3-1600
M4 256 SSD
GTX 570 - Stock
Sound Blaster XFi

Playing at 1920x1080 on a 55" Screen with 360 controller.

With Pool size fix the game is smooth as butter except for occasion load stuttering (not overly prevalent, doesnt bother me)

Without pool size fix (but trying everything else) - smooth for the first 2 minutes, then insane sputtering all over the place.

Other people in this thread have had issue with the 570 also, maybe its just its odd memory size that is causing the game problems, thus why telling the game the exact poolsize to set seems to fix it.

MaLDo

Asus P8z77 Pro
i7-2600k @ 3.7ghz
16gb DDR3-1600
M4 256 SSD
GTX 570 - Stock
Sound Blaster XFi

Playing at 1920x1080 on a 55" Screen with 360 controller.

With Pool size fix the game is smooth as butter except for occasion load stuttering (not overly prevalent, doesnt bother me)

Without pool size fix (but trying everything else) - smooth for the first 2 minutes, then insane sputtering all over the place.

Other people in this thread have had issue with the 570 also, maybe its just its odd memory size that is causing the game problems, thus why telling the game the exact poolsize to set seems to fix it.

So I'm right, there is a memory leak in some situations (only some users) but this can be fixed. The real problem is the loading stutter (disruptive pauses) that can't be fixed editing files and affects everyone.

A game like Bioshock Infinite deserves be played optimally. Without pauses.

Currently my list of pending games before bioshock is huge, but if Irrational not fix this problem, I will never play bioshock infinite.

antitrop

Is anybody using Geforce Experience? I tried it and got great performance, though it suggested leaving antialising off I decided to have it on and it was fine. I played around with it in other games as well and so far I think it's pretty awesome.

It's good for people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing when it comes to PC game tweaking.

For anyone else it's almost entirely worthless. The only thing I have ever used it for was to reset DmC's resolution back to default after I tried to downsample from a resolution that caused the game to crash.

Game hitches in

Yep, I get exactly this. The hitch where you turn right in that garden area at the start is clearly where the game is loading that beautiful outside area beyond the door. I'd love to see a video of someone turning that corner at 60fps. I say it can't be done!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Yep, I get exactly this. The hitch where you turn right in that garden area at the start is clearly where the game is loading that beautiful outside area beyond the door. I'd love to see a video of someone turning that corner at 60fps. I say it can't be done!

is it done on the consoles? As I can tell you the ps3 version skips from loading at certain points, specifically in the opening.

Game hitches in

Exactly what happens to me. Although I also get drops when looking in certain directions or objects. Like anytime I look at the shoe polishing thing my fps drops to 30.

Shaneus

Game hitches in

Yes, this is exactly the same with me! I didn't watch the whole vid, but the one at :48 is the first major one I noticed (I think there were a few at the lighthouse, but I thought that may have been due to effects or something).

The only thing I can pin it down to is something to do with CPU interrupts. Even if I knock the resolution down to 720p, VRAM doesn't come close to filling up, the GPU doesn't break a sweat but the frame render time in Afterburner skyrockets.

I also had the same problem in Sleeping Dogs when entering an area that has a lot of new textures (or geometry or shadows or something, I guess). Everything graphics card-wise was fine, but the CPU was going nuts.

I've noticed that it's really only one CPU core that does any work at all with Infinite. Maybe it's just not designed to make the most of multiple CPU cores?

Red

If it makes any difference, I haven't had any stuttering issues. Not in several hours of play, beyond a random temporary freeze when it loads a new area or saves the game.

I had rare stutters but they weren't nearly as bad as it sounds from the thread. There were like trigger lines that set it off, but they occurred like once every hour or so. Nothing significant.

Just watched the video quoted above. My game was not like that. I never had my fps drop to the 20s unless vsync was enabled, or I was running alternate PP.

I just played through that section. It doesn't maintain 60fps but the stutter is not as severe or as long as in the video. It's like a drop from 60 to 40. It's there but it's no worse than what I would expect from standard loading.

is it done on the consoles? As I can tell you the ps3 version skips from loading at certain points, specifically in the opening.
I wouldn't be surprised, but it'll be less obvious if the performance is generally 30fps or below. I'd like to see some footage though.

Yup, that makes a lot more sense now.

Personally the loading stutters don't bother me too much. They're annoying, but fairly infrequent as long as you don't intentionally run through the same loading zone multiple times.

Aren't a lot of UE3 games locked to 30fps? It almost seems like something with the loading is set to target 30fps for the consoles, and was kept that way for the PC version.

Shaneus

Yup, that makes a lot more sense now.

Personally the loading stutters don't bother me too much. They're annoying, but fairly infrequent as long as you don't intentionally run through the same loading zone multiple times.

Aren't a lot of UE3 games locked to 30fps? It almost seems like something with the loading is set to target 30fps for the consoles, and was kept that way for the PC version.
The only reason they bother me is because there's nothing straining on my PC that warrants the slowdown. If I was maxing out any particular resources on my PC or graphics card then it's understandable, but it's only using one CPU core and that seems to be the bottleneck, which is why I'm not as happy to accept it as some others. I'm pretty sure there isn't a PC that doesn't get those read-ahead slowdowns if they're trying to run at 60fps (2500K @ 4.9GHz here).

I see what people are talking about now. When I hear stuttering, I think of the game actually coming to a halt periodically. I've seen it do that a few times (most notably, right when you go through the gate at the carnival and the twins have you flip a coin). I've even had it give me a brief "LOADING" message once.

But this just seems to be demonstrating an inexplicable drop in framerate. I suppose that happens to me, too. I guess I'm probably just not as sensitive to it as some of the people here.

Does anyone else get lower than average performance in
Battleship Bay?
I've done my best to stay at 60 FPS and minimal stuttering, but that level was constantly <30 FPS and had stuttering at a high frequency. Maybe it's inherently demanding since there's a lot of NPCs and detailed environments as opposed to earlier levels that are smaller and spread out.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz
Radeon 6850 900/1100
4GB DDR3 RAM

Graphics settings:
Mostly Ultra with Normal PP, High Shadows, AO Off (like I said, 60FPS most of the time)
Pool settings at 600, the only tweak that affects stuttering

Vitor711

Does anyone else get lower than average performance in
Battleship Bay?
I've done my best to stay at 60 FPS and minimal stuttering, but that level was constantly <30 FPS and had stuttering at a high frequency. Maybe it's inherently demanding since there's a lot of NPCs and detailed environments as opposed to earlier levels that are smaller and spread out.

Hardware:
Intel Core i3 2100 3.1GHz
Radeon 6850 900/1100
4GB DDR3 RAM

Graphics settings:
Mostly Ultra with Normal PP, High Shadows, AO Off (like I said, 60FPS most of the time)
Pool settings at 600, the only tweak that affects stuttering

I didn't experience a single drop there - that's really weird. Running the same settings but with AO on normal instead and on a mobile card (680m) and that area is no more demanding than any others.

The only place that gave me performance issues was the fight against
the first zeppilin
and I imagined hat was due to the constant barrage of particle effects.

hlhbk

Game hitches in

This is exactly what I am seeing. Specs:

Intel 2600k
8 GB RAM
GTX570

Shaneus

But this just seems to be demonstrating an inexplicable drop in framerate. I suppose that happens to me, too. I guess I'm probably just not as sensitive to it as some of the people here.
I think it's expicable... from what I can see, game uses one CPU core, gets bogged down when having to load textures into the GPUs memory while it's already doing other stuff, game stops doing "other stuff" to load textures. Happens to me in a few games, but it's more obvious here and probably fixable if they can spread the workload amongst CPU cores (which is probably what a patch would do).

Oh, FWIW my specs (have the same slowdown):
2500K @ 4.9GHz
16GB RAM
5850+5970 CFX
2x 240GB RAID0 SSDs

t-ramp

The only place that gave me performance issues was the fight against
the first zeppilin
and I imagined hat was due to the constant barrage of particle effects.
Same here. I couldn't figure out how to board the damn thing for at least twenty minutes, so I was getting paranoid that my performance had just tanked for good.

beastmode

This. Ruining some parts of the game for me.

1920x1080
Medium settings
5970 (two-in-one card with 2GB ram)
4GB ram
3.2 GHz six-core AMD
Latest vid card drivers

Shaneus

This. Ruining some parts of the game for me.

1920x1080
Medium settings
5970 (two-in-one card with 2GB ram)
4GB ram
3.2 GHz six-core AMD
Latest vid card drivers
You haven't done that memory ini modification for a 2GB card, have you? The 5970 may have 2GB, but it's 2GB *total*, because it has 1GB per GPU (and only 1GB is theoretically useable). I know, because I have that plus a 5850 so even though Afterburner shows 3GB VRAM, everything uses 3x as much because it has to have the same thing across all GPUs (of which you have two, I have three).

That might be the cause of some of your issues, I'm not sure.

Red

My little brother picked up Infinite for his PC. He's still running on a Radeon 4850. Even with all settings on low the game was basically unplayable, averaging frame rates in the teens. I installed an old gtx240 I had lying around, and I know that's a less powerful card but at least it's still getting driver updates. I ran the benchmark and saw it raised performance a good amount, averaging 30-40 fps on low settings (low preset, so a couple of things on medium... The 4850 was choking with everything on low, everything)... But the game won't launch now. The benchmark runs fine but the game itself crashes at some point between the intro videos and the initial loading screen, every time we try to boot it up. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes we get through to select continue, but it always crashes before the game actually loads.

You guys have any ideas? Maybe suggestions for relatively cheap cards that can run it on medium/low? He doesn't have much to work with, but maybe something in the $150 range. I'm looking at a 460 maybe, not sure. He's only running at 1280x720.

Talon

My little brother picked up Infinite for his PC. He's still running on a Radeon 4850. Even with all settings on low the game was basically unplayable, averaging frame rates in the teens. I installed an old gtx240 I had lying around, and I know that's a less powerful card but at least it's still getting driver updates. I ran the benchmark and saw it raised performance a good amount, averaging 30-40 fps on low settings (low preset, so a couple of things on medium... The 4850 was choking with everything on low, everything)... But the game won't launch now. The benchmark runs fine but the game itself crashes at some point between the intro videos and the initial loading screen, every time we try to boot it up. Sometimes it's right away, sometimes we get through to select continue, but it always crashes before the game actually loads.

You guys have any ideas? Maybe suggestions for relatively cheap cards that can run it on medium/low? He doesn't have much to work with, but maybe something in the $150 range. I'm looking at a 460 maybe, not sure. He's only running at 1280x720.
What processor is he using?

I ran this at 720p with medium settings across the board on a Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of ram and a 9600 GT (512 MB), just as a point of comparison.

Eyothrie

Game hitches in

Yep. dem hitches. I set everything to low settings like you for shits and giggles (gtx 680, 3820 @ 4.1, 16GB ddr3 RAM), and it still hitches/stutters at these invisible lines I cross when walking around in town. Its happening every 50 meters in game. Which is every 15-20 seconds.

Red

What processor is he using?

I ran this at 720p with medium settings across the board on a Core 2 Duo with 2 gigs of ram and a 9600 GT (512 MB), just as a point of comparison.
Some tri-core AMD card. I built his PC a while back, but I don't remember what CPU it is.

I'm trying to sell off my 360 + games and accessories to invest a little into my PC... I'd like to upgrade my own gpu and maybe donate my current one to him, but that's not high on the priority list. It's more a "nice to have." I feel pretty bad that I suggested he go for the PC version and now he can't play it. It's not like he's free to just toss $50 to the wind.

Ce-Lin

that's just the game engine loading new textures... not even some fast SSD drive is faster than pulling textures from VRAM so you're going to notice these 0.5 - 1 second hiccups from time to time, the game could have been designed as Uncharted / Tomb Raider with the character slowly passing through whatever door / crank / hallway while textures load in the background and players wouldn't notice the stutter but I guess that wasn't going to work with Infinite. The problem would be stuttering with textures already loaded in VRAM... something that can be fixed adjusting the graphics quality settings or the "poolsize" variables.

Yep. dem hitches. I set everything to low settings like you for shits and giggles (gtx 680, 3820 @ 4.1, 16GB ddr3 RAM), and it still hitches/stutters at these invisible lines I cross when walking around in town. Its happening every 50 meters in game. Which is every 15-20 seconds.

now this shouldn't be happening, your 680 with (at least) 2 GB of VRAM should be plenty to handle almost the entire area of a chapter with only a couple of loading spots, I have a modest 660 Ti 3 GB and it uses 2200-2400 MB VRAM in Infinite, only stutters a bit while loading for a split second in a couple of pre-defined places throughout the chapters, rest being silky smooth... so that about stuttering happening every 50 meters is definitely something wrong in your end not the game itself, delete XEngine.ini and let the game create a default one, tweak again the poolsize value for your VRAM.

Reclaimer

I'm not understanding the pool size stuff. Help please! :)

There is Texture pool (400 default) and 2 other Memory pool lines (512 default).

Do I change all 3?

I have a GTX 295... What should my pool size be?

Top Bottom