• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BioShock Infinite PC Performance Thread

Red

Red

The new ones are more energy efficient but the 6870 is still a great card in it's price range. I'm not the biggest fan of buying used cards but you'd definitely get more fps for your money. Another good option could be the new HD7790, depending on where you live maybe you could even get one with Bioshock for free: http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/never-settle/Pages/nsreloaded.aspx#3

7790 would be nice, but he's trying to keep cost as low as possible. I'm aiming to find him something that can maintain 30fps at 1280x720 with pretty good settings.

Thanks for the help by the way. I haven't been keeping up with recent gpus. I start looking at benchmarks and drooling at the mouth... it does nothing but instill envy.

derExperte

If every Dollar is important maybe even a 7750 could be enough but I think that would be pushing it and a 7770 or used 6870 for around 100$ is a much better buy.

My brother has a 500w psu. I'm assuming that's plenty for a low-midrange card.

There are some terrible PSUs out there with exaggerated specs but yeah, these cards won't cause any problems.

Is there an .ini that you can change for the Texture Details themselves? I'm not sure if it is putting out High/Ultra level textures when I select it and want to be sure. Running a 460GTX 1GB.

Shaneus

Is there an .ini that you can change for the Texture Details themselves? I'm not sure if it is putting out High/Ultra level textures when I select it and want to be sure. Running a 460GTX 1GB.
That memory pool limit value restricts how much VRAM BI uses and scales it accordingly, from what I can gather. The higher the limit, the sharper the textures. But whether that prevents the game from loading high-res textures and downscaling vs. just loading low-res textures... I don't know.

See this post for more info. (It's also mentioned in the OP, nufty)

bro1

Banned
Playing on a gtx 670 and it seems fine but the tearing is awful even with adaptive vsynch. Also the particle effects make me think I am artifacing even though its just dust.

That memory pool limit value restricts how much VRAM BI uses and scales it accordingly, from what I can gather.

I've done all that, minimal skipping for me now but I was hoping there was a line in an ini file that shifts between Very Low/Low/Normal/High/Ultra for the Texture Detail setting but on further thought it is probably related to several of the tweaks I have already done. Just seems like a lot of what I have been seeing is lower quality than I expected, odd.

t-ramp

For some reason I was getting the failed save message upon every autosave earlier. It seems to have gone away, although I don't know if I did anything to fix it. Maybe it is a Steam cloud sync problem, since the setting in-game reset to "on" somehow while in Steam it is off...

Where am I supposed to put -ReadTexturePoolFromIni? I don't see any set launch options thing.
Open your Steam library, right-click BioShock Infinite, click Properties, click Set Launch Options, enter the parameter.

SLI GTX 670s. I'm hitting 120 FPS easily but its stuttering like a motherfucker
LLShC.gif

Ce-Lin

Playing on a gtx 670 and it seems fine but the tearing is awful even with adaptive vsynch. Also the particle effects make me think I am artifacing even though its just dust.

turn vsync off in the game and try adaptive-vsync in "half refresh rate" mode in the Nvidia control panel, does the tearing go away?

Ce-Lin

Yes but at 30 fps

lol !

well 120 Hz monitor here so using Adaptive Vsync at half refresh rate is the reason I get constant 60 fps with no tearing ? definitely this game needs a patch... do you happen to have an i7 CPU? read somewhere the game was buggy with those CPUs, I'm on some i5 3570K here + 660 Ti 3GB factory OC and as I said silky smooth 1080p everything Ultra 60 fps no tearing, only split-second fps drops a couple of times per level (loading spots).

Darkrider

So I have a strange setup, crossfire 5870s, 1gb each. I got the game running butter smooth with everything maxed @1900x1200.

I was having major stuttering issues where the game would pause for several seconds at a time. To fix this I had to do several things.

1 update driver
2 use the - read texture pool from .INI option, this was huge and solved most of my issues
3 disable my second monitor, i used win+p to disable my second monitor, this also helped greatly improve overall frame rate

I recommend trying these things, I set my pool size to 400, had no stuttering and very minimal pop in.

Ce-Lin

So I have a strange setup, crossfire 5870s, 1gb each. I got the game running butter smooth with everything maxed @1900x1200.

thanks for the tips and congrats on getting the game running fine, the hassle is worth a try since the game is so gorgeous, but reading the benchmark article linked above it says that, for Ultra texture settings @1080p or higher you need 2 GB of VRAM at the very least, how does it work for you with "just" 1 GB ? do you get pop-in ?

Pachinko

I too have crossfire 5870's and it runs mostly okay - 1920X1080 everything maxed out. It either runs at 60 or I get the odd loading hitch. I've played what I can only guess is most of the game so far and thanks to the .ini file tweaks the hitching has been kept to a minimum.

Something is slightly funky with my drivers though because many games think I have 2 GB of vram on each card but I really don't. sysinfo reveals the correct total though.

I can see how some may be sensitive to some of the hitching but it doesn't really bother me because 90% of the game runs very solid and it still looks leagues beyond the console versions so I'm not going to complain to much.

Shaneus

I did get some pop in but it wasn't that noticeable.... Maybe I'm just not that sensitive to it.
Are you getting the jarring halt at certain points as well? I have a setup similar to yours (5850+5970 CFX) and the majority of the game will run fine, but there are these points were it drops to around half the framerate, give or take. I think I used the texture pool value of around 400, if that was the one that roughly equalled 1GB. I've also tried lower and higher, but they all have the same result :/

Darkrider

Are you sure you have the readtexturepoolfrominini set correctly in the shortcut? I was having that exact problem and setting that fixed the long pauses I was experiencing.

Darkrider

Oh, and this is going to sound dumb but I also defragged my HD with hopes that it would help. Can't hurt to give that a shot too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I was having major stuttering issues where the game would pause for several seconds at a time. To fix this I had to do several things.

1 update driver
2 use the - read texture pool from .INI option, this was huge and solved most of my issues
3 disable my second monitor, i used win+p to disable my second monitor, this also helped greatly improve overall frame rate

I recommend trying these things, I set my pool size to 400, had no stuttering and very minimal pop in.

With 1GB cards you can bump it up to 600.

Darkrider

So I initially had it set to 600 but found that I still experienced some hitching. I think it's a trade off between pop in and stuttering.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, I'd imagine the additional stuttering and pop-in introduced by setting the pool size value at 600 would be because you're running the game at max settings. 1GB of addressable VRAM simply isn't enough for Ultra textures, especially at 1920x1200.

Shaneus

Are you sure you have the readtexturepoolfrominini set correctly in the shortcut? I was having that exact problem and setting that fixed the long pauses I was experiencing.
Yup, 100%. It was definitely reading the value because when I reduced it, VRAM usage dropped as well (it actually flatlined at a certain amount below total VRAM. So it's like a self-imposed limit). But still, those pauses remained :/
Whilst I think changing that value will fix it for some people whose VRAM is misinterpreted, if what's happening at those stalling locations is swapping of textures, there should be another value where, say, it streams those textures from system RAM into VRAM rather than from disk. I'm going to have a play with FancyCache in this regard, maybe that'll make a difference.

Oh, and this is going to sound dumb but I also defragged my HD with hopes that it would help. Can't hurt to give that a shot too.
RAID-0 SSDs ;P

MaLDo

Videos I linked before are running the game into RAM and there are pauses. Again, main hitches are no related with poolsize or hdd speed. It's a game bug and nvidia users and amd users have the problem. If someone says he don't have pauses, he can show it recording a video with fraps in the same part of the game.

MaLDo

Texture streaming has no effect over loading pauses.

I did 2 videos at 60 fps comparing hitching with bUseBackgroundStreaming False and True. Both configs have problems with assets dissapearing. When background streaming is disabled, the assets that appear not cause pauses. When background streaming is enabled, there is a pause everytime the character walks trough a loading trigger. The problem is that disabling backgroundstreaming we lose a lot of things, in this video, the couple of people at the end.

Config: Ultra + Alternative PP at 1920x1200.
Both videos are recorded at 60 fps. For better results, don't use internet browser, use Download button (located up/right) and then VLC free player.

LevelStreaming = False
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1o2gzuobmtdmzyw/BackgroundLevelStreaming_False.mp4

LevelStreaming = True
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o19usvrn3hk7rj4/BackgroundLevelStreaming_True.mp4

Yesterday I posted this same message in BI 2K forums (two times) but message doesn't exist and only I can see was a message saying 'a moderator have to supervise your message'. My previous posts appeared instantly. What's going on?

Shaneus

Yesterday I posted this same message in BI 2K forums (two times) but message doesn't exist and only I can see was a message saying 'a moderator have to supervise your message'. My previous posts appeared instantly. What's going on?
Shiftyyyy. Are there any threads that are active on their forums which try to discuss the issue?

That memory pool limit value restricts how much VRAM BI uses and scales it accordingly, from what I can gather. The higher the limit, the sharper the textures. But whether that prevents the game from loading high-res textures and downscaling vs. just loading low-res textures... I don't know.

See this post for more info. (It's also mentioned in the OP, nufty)

Ended up fixing my texture detail level issue by bumping up the pool values in the default .ini as detailed here.

I left it that high despite incurring a slight framerate skip when moving into the loading areas that has been discussed in this thread but the trade off for the much higher quality textures makes it more than acceptable. I don't think it is to the same level as you guys as I only hit it rarely.

Might be time to upgrade the GPU soon I think.

:)

Shaneus

Well, we're probably at the same level. I may have 3x (-ATI crappy Crossfire tax) the processing, but it's the same amount of VRAM.

I hate that my current setup has enough power to last me for at least another year or two, but VRAM is letting me down :/

Darkrider

Videos I linked before are running the game into RAM and there are pauses. Again, main hitches are no related with poolsize or hdd speed. It's a game bug and nvidia users and amd users have the problem. If someone says he don't have pauses, he can show it recording a video with fraps in the same part of the game.

I still get those loading pauses in elevators and transition points where the game is pulling in a new part of the level. The frame rate drops to approximately 30 or so fps. I had been having game breaking hitching, where the game would literally freeze for seconds at a time making combat impossible.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Ce-Lin said:
Bioshock Infinite doesn't sport thin openings or long empty-looking hallways so running past a "texture loading" point is very noticeable in form of stuttering framerate. Can they fix this ?
The hitching remains whether using an SSD (or multiple SSDs) or a standard HDD, this isn't an issue of I/O bottlenecks, it's CPU stalls.
Which doesn't say they can or cannot be fixed, but fundamentally this is not a limitation of disk-read speeds(many PCs could stream the entire game worth of assets multiple times over during that 2minute video), it's something about how their asynchronous asset-loading works.

Darkrider

The hitching remains whether using an SSD (or multiple SSDs) or a standard HDD, this isn't an issue of I/O bottlenecks, it's CPU stalls.
Which doesn't say they can or cannot be fixed, but fundamentally this is not a limitation of disk-read speeds(many PCs could stream the entire game worth of assets multiple times over during that 2minute video), it's something about how their asynchronous asset-loading works.

I completely agree, the small stutter when the game is loading assets could be due to a thread prioritization issue.

Shaneus

Oh good, so I'm not alone in my deduction. The only thing I could see after about an hour of fucking around was that CPU interrupts were the only thing that skyrocketed during those segments (along with the time to generate the frame, obviously). It's a clear issue of the game (for some bizarre reason) only using a single core to do anything, so everything bottlenecks up.

Is that a UE3 thing? Are there other games on the same engine that do or don't display the same issue?

Arkham City exhibited stuttering on my system, but in a slightly different way.

Dishonored, which is probably closer to Infinite's structure than Arkham had no stuttering whatsoever.

scitek

I turned off AO this morning for shits and the stutter was hugely improved. There's a Bioshock Infinite AO profile for Nvidia users, too, but I can't get it working.

hlhbk

So apparently Irrational is unable to recreate the stuttering issue on their test PC's per Chris Kline from Irrational. I had tried all the fixes he posted, but nothing fixes the issue.

Sethos

Banned
So apparently Irrational is unable to recreate the stuttering issue on their test PC's per Chris Kline from Irrational. I had tried all the fixes he posted, but nothing fixes the issue.

Developers never seem able to recreate anything on their test PCs.

I can't stand it when dev studios say this. I refuse to believe they can't recreate it, particularly as they will know exactly where the triggers are across the entire level map. It sounds like they are either buying time or denying there is problem.

Does he mean they can't replicate the stuttering at all or just the chronic stuttering affecting some people? Even I get a tiny bit of stuttering moving between sub-zones of a map, other than that it's fine.

Top Bottom