• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Arrested Development GAF Pilgrimage: Recharging your chi one episode at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the show was airing, this almost made me cry:
Michael: It's just hard to accept that it's really come to begging.
George: Sometimes, it's the only way to stay in the game.
Narrator: Please tell your friends about this show!

I fucking cracked up at that part. I saw it on DVD though.

So I'm building the Season 4 "savor the flavor" thread in the same vein as this one, but I wanted to know if you guys had any good ideas for the thread title/subtitle. Something snappy but gets the point of the thread across, "The Arrested Development Season 4 Endurance Run |OT| of Savoring the Flavoring", etc...

TUSR

Banned
So I'm building the Season 4 "savor the flavor" thread in the same vein as this one, but I wanted to know if you guys had any good ideas for the thread title/subtitle. Something snappy but gets the point of the thread across, "The Arrested Development Season 4 Endurance Run |OT| of Savoring the Flavoring", etc...

taste the happy

Dunno how I missed this.

K-ON! is a slice of life anime series. Nothing supernatural or crazy, but just fantastic humor and very good music, so yes.

We also have a great OT thread too! Stop by anytime. :)

'Who quoted you' is down, you're forgiven.

TUSR

Banned
It's funny, In the K-ON!! OT Thread, I've gotten at least two people there interested in watching Arrested Development because of my avatar change, so it's appropriate I recruit someone back. :)

Also, edited my above post for the awesome Pure Pure Heart

this is the one where they are in a band right or meet through a band at high school?

I swear I watched one episode around the same time Haruhi Season 1 was airing.

this is the one where they are in a band right or meet through a band at high school?

I swear I watched one episode around the same time Haruhi Season 1 was airing.

Yep. The faces they make are crazy. They have a gif for everything there just like we do for AD. It's a very fun show and they ladies are lovely.

tumblr_m0ar8rzS9Z1ro0urxo1_400.gif

TUSR

Banned
Yep. The faces they make are crazy. They have a gif for everything there just like we do for AD. It's a very fun show and they ladies are lovely.

Not sure why I never watched more than the first episode, I think I was phasing out watching anime... Unemployed next week so free time will sky rocket.

Not sure why I never watched more than the first episode, I think I was phasing out watching anime... Unemployed next week so free time will sky rocket.

Bummer on the Unemployed part, but Free time is precious. Be sure to stop by the OT and let us know what you think! If you need more Moe, talk to Chet in that thread. lol.

TUSR

Banned
Bummer on the Unemployed part, but Free time is precious. Be sure to stop by the OT and let us know what you think! If you need more Moe, talk to Chet in that thread. lol.

I quit though :lol, im going back to school and need a vacation. More Moe?

One last random question for you folks, I don't suppose there's anyway to align text to the center of a page on a post eh? None of the bbcodes I've found have worked

Today's episodes: "Fakin' It" & "Family Ties"

Fakin' It
Mb8Q9oq.png

Synopsis - Judge Reinhold presides over George's mock trial, and Michael worries about a surprise witness. Meanwhile, a coma keeps Buster from testifying.

Family Ties
mJWKBfy.png

Synopsis - When Michael hires a woman who may be his sister, her services might be just what the company needs. Meanwhile, Buster's coma attracts the attention of a politician.

Love these episodes, tons of meta humor. "Judge, my name is."

Toa TAK

Banned
Fuck these last episodes are really hitting home when its less than a week we get a new Arrested Development season.

Michael: Hello. Hey, so what’s going on with the fund-raiser?

George, Sr.:
Well, I don’t think the Home Builders Organization is going to be supporting us.

Michael:
Yeah, the HBO’s not going to want us. What do we do now?

George, Sr.:
Well, I think it’s show time. I think we have to have a show during dinner.​
I remember that bit. So good, but so sad at the same time. Best part of that episode for sure.

Franklin: My name is Judge.
Gob: Whose name is Judge?
Franklin: My name is.
Michael: Okay.
Gob: That's a silly name.
Michael: That's enough.
Franklin: Judge, my name.
Gob: Yes, I am judging your name. It am silly.
Franklin: Is.
Michael: Please stop.
Gob: Oh, now, you're correcting my grammar.

Gob: Check this out! You’ll say, “Who’s this little friend?” And I’ll say “Well he’s not really feeling that well.” And you’ll say, “Oh, what’s wrong with the little guy?” And he’ll say...
Franklin: Patient presented with gastric bacterial infection.
Gob: Wow... Sounds like you could use some “tricyclene.”
Franklin: Tetracycline should not be administered due to allergies.
Michael: Your lips are still moving, and... you stole the doctor’s tape recorder?
Gob: Just the tape.​

Plasmid

Just finished episode 4 of season 2 for the probably 6th time. Gonna hopefully marathon the episodes before Saturday.

Oozer3993

The 'Nichael Bluth" birth certificate is confusing. It lists the baby's gender as Female:

UEGsg2k.jpg

And lists the mother as "Jessica Tamarisk"

uYE8zgY.jpg

On a lighter note, apparently the "Red Prawn" restaurant is right across the street from the hospital:

Omy9qvj.jpg

Iceman

The 'Nichael Bluth" birth certificate is confusing. It lists the baby's gender as Female:

UEGsg2k.jpg

It shows two X's "XX" over "Male" (although its blurry). It could have been one of the ways that that part of the birth certificate form was intended to be marked (e.g. circled, checkmark, X), rather a gender (MALE or FEMALE) typed in.

However, in your defense, XX = female.

I like this moment:
George Bluth Sr.: [Michael gets the witness list for the deposition] Who's on the list? Any blabbers?
Michael Bluth: Just one, but he wont be talking unless there's a hand inside of them.
Tobias Fünke: Oh please, even then, I wouldn't say anything.
Michael Bluth: [stunned] That's reassuring. I was talking about Franklin, actually.

I love that subtle Veronica Mars reference (off-network high school private eye drama censored by FOX.) And Nellie had some funny moments:
Nellie Bluth: [Michael finishes a long-winded boring, story] Wow, what a great story.
Narrator: It wasn't great. Nellie was just a good listener. All prostitutes are.

Narrator: And Nellie had a list of wonts.
Nellie Bluth: Please refrain from any (bleep) or (bleep) -ing or (bleep) -esting or (bleep) -eing or finger (bleep) or (bleep) or even (bleep) . And please use a (bleep) when you (bleep) me. And if any of this winds up on the internet, I will (bleep) you in the (bleep) .
Tom: Our computers don't work on the internet.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I like this moment:
George Bluth Sr.: [Michael gets the witness list for the deposition] Who's on the list? Any blabbers?
Michael Bluth: Just one, but he wont be talking unless there's a hand inside of them.
Tobias Fünke: Oh please, even then, I wouldn't say anything.
Michael Bluth: [stunned] That's reassuring. I was talking about Franklin, actually.

I love that subtle Veronica Mars reference (off-network high school private eye drama censored by FOX.) And Nellie had some funny moments:
Nellie Bluth: [Michael finishes a long-winded boring, story] Wow, what a great story.
Narrator: It wasn't great. Nellie was just a good listener. All prostitutes are.

Narrator: And Nellie had a list of wonts.
Nellie Bluth: Please refrain from any (bleep) or (bleep) -ing or (bleep) -esting or (bleep) -eing or finger (bleep) or (bleep) or even (bleep) . And please use a (bleep) when you (bleep) me. And if any of this winds up on the internet, I will (bleep) you in the (bleep) .
Tom: Our computers don't work on the internet.
Is that scene uncensored on the DVDs?

Today's episode: "Exit Strategy"

2ewDeB5.png

Synopsis - The Bluth boys find a web of mass deception in Iraq when Michael and Buster rescue G.O.B., who was imprisoned while on a USO tour. Meanwhile, George Michael plans a Sweet 16 surprise party for Maeby.

TUSR

Banned
cant believe it tomorrow at midnight. holy crap.

GOB's comment about not having enough RAM still gets me everytime.

Iceman

Today's episode: "Exit Strategy"

Started watching this one late last night and wasn't able to keep myself from watching the season finale (I love the recurring, Michael waking up to random people in his bed scenes).

G.O.B. (roughly): "It makes me want to eat an ice cream cone."
Buster: "Oh, it does me me hungry for an ice cream cone."

Tony Hale's delivery is amazing.

Followed by,

"You'll have plenty of time for ice cream.. in prison. Ice cream sandwiches that is."

As if we're now to assume that prisons are synonymous with ice cream sandwiches (and they're right.)

I don't care for this episode that much but there are some great moments in it.
Michael: And you finished off the whole bottle?
Lindsay Funke: I had to, it's vodka. It goes bad once it's opened.
Michael: I think that's another of mom's fibs, like "I'll sacrifice anything for my children".

Tobias Fünke: And I am off to buy the perfect present for Maeby. Maybe she'd like a suit like this.
Narrator: That is her suit.
Tobias Fünke: They probably don't make it in a woman's.
Narrator: They only make it in a woman's.

It also had the Soup Nazi, that little Alias reference and the Notapusy callback "When I miss your lips, I’ll put a fig in my mouth and think of you" which is the only redeemable thing about the Nurse Adelaide character.

Iceman

It also had the Soup Nazi, that little Alias reference and the Notapusy callback "When I miss your lips, I’ll put a fig in my mouth and think of you" which is the only redeemable thing about the Nurse Adelaide character.

How about the "she was wrong about that one. It was love that made him take that step," bit?

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
As I said a few days ago this is one of my least favorite episodes, the main reason being the family's legal problems were fixed too easily. Using Gob to find a house that could easily be located in the desert didn't make sense. The CIA agent threatening to kill the Bluth brothers off seemed like an incredibly extreme reaction to a government mistake.

It left me feeling like the message of not only the episode but for entire series is the US government is incompetent: two branches of the CIA unaware what the other is doing, evidence still available to be shredded years after the initial charges, mixed use of the Patriot Act (humor aside, Tobias' scrapbooking class is out of sorts with earlier actions of privacy intrusion).

It's a weird episode if you look at it from the larger plot of the series.

Iceman

As I said a few days ago this is one of my least favorite episodes, the main reason being the family's legal problems were fixed too easily. Using Gob to find a house that could easily be located in the desert didn't make sense. The CIA agent threatening to kill the Bluth brothers off seemed like an incredibly extreme reaction to a government mistake.

It left me feeling like the message of not only the episode but for entire series is the US government is incompetent: two branches of the CIA unaware what the other is doing, evidence still available to be shredded years after the initial charges, mixed use of the Patriot Act (humor aside, Tobias' scrapbooking class is out of sorts with earlier actions of privacy intrusion).

It's a weird episode if you look at it from the larger plot of the series.

They did need Michael to discover the bombshell.. and they did use that to lampoon the notorious lack of communication between distinct departments all working in the same location. It clicked together in place okay.. but the whole episode was like the whole second half of season 3 - it felt like they were all hastily pieced together with duct tape while a sword of Damocles hung over the entire production.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
They did need Michael to discover the bombshell.. and they did use that to lampoon the notorious lack of communication between distinct departments all working in the same location. It clicked together in place okay.. but the whole episode was like the whole second half of season 3 - it felt like they were all hastily pieced together with duct tape while a sword of Damocles hung over the entire production.
Why did they need him to discover the bombshell? To convict him? If they knew it was there ahead of time you assume they'd have made sure it was a real bombshell first. Just more government incompetence.

Dawn of the final day: 22 hours remain

The last episode! "Development Arrested"

wfAEvFl.png

Synopsis - "Development Arrested" is the thirteenth episode of Arrested Development's third season, and the series finale. Lucille throws a yacht party to celebrate the family's recent success, but the Bluths learn the sailing is still far from smooth.

49 days ago I made a vow to start this thread and watch one episode (ish) per day until the family got back together again, and today it looks like I finally succeeded (and not without the help of a generous many thread contributors)

And a quick reminder, starting at 12:00AM Pacific/3:00AM Eastern tomorrow morning the season 4 endurance run begins right here!

I've loved every episode equally and now I'm not sad that this was the end of the original Arrested Development because the new ones are just hours away. I hope Lindsay gets to do more things in the new season as she was barely used in this one.
The following scenes of the finale are hilarious:

xNAh0Ug.png

Tobias Fünke: I booked a wonderful spot for the party - the Queen Mary. Perhaps I should call the hot cops and tell them to come up with a more nautical theme. Hot sailors. Better yet... Hot sea...
Michael: [quickly interrupting] I like hot sailors.
Tobias Fünke: Me too.

Lucille: [flashback] Dinner's ready. We're having Lindsay chops. What? I just wanted to be ready in case some bully at school was as clever as I am.
Narrator: No bully ever would be.

Lucille: We loved her just as much as any of you normal kids. More than GOB!

Oozer3993

I was watching the deleted scenes from disc 3 for Season 2 and discovered something: there were several cut references to Mrs. Featherbottom as "Mrs. F."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom