• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#PS4NoDRM #XboxOneNoDRM || Now do you "Believe?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The console definitely works offline, forever. Definitely. Take that to the bank.

If there is used game DRM it will be an offline tech.

this Just in!!! the weak little boy inside Knux-Future: just found him a justification he can use against his morals.

Voice: "hey bro...it sucks that you can't rent games any more and selling them is harder...let alone lending...but hey...AT LEAST IT ISN'T ALWAYS ON YO!!!"

Me: yaaaaaay...I can buy it now"

;_;

Woorloog

Banned
termi_xbone_ava2.png

EDIT: oops.

termi_xbone_ava2.png

Lol, thanks

Woorloog

Banned
Haha, that picture is what is in my brain right now.

termi_xbone_ava2.png

Yeah, it is a great pic despite being accidental. It is... very fitting.

Chose this avatar from when some Kotaku article explained Kinect's "modes", and the illustration had "Terminated" with this.
Chose it because it was fun pic, but crunching an Xbox... well, it is how i feel.

Stuart444

If the Xbox One violates EU trade laws, then would an e-mail to the BBC or other European outlets do any good? Maybe get the EU to act before the console has a chance to come out since you know if it comes out, and the EU decides to go after MS, MS will fight it and stall as long as possible for years until the Xbox One has sold 'millions'

Woorloog

Banned
If the Xbox One violates EU trade laws, then would an e-mail to the BBC or other European outlets do any good? Maybe get the EU to act before the console has a chance to come out since you know if it comes out, and the EU decides to go after MS, MS will fight it and stall as long as possible for years until the Xbox One has sold 'millions'

Making this even more public can have only positive effects, or no change.
Any negative effects would be a reason to even more outcry.

So, let's go for it.

Freki

I would hope sony is being coy until ms has had their presser, then they can respond.

I'm really worried - I hope they don't think a slightly better system is enough. I don't want to be restricted to PC Gaming only... options are great :-(

Just posting this in here, but in Giant Bomb's reaction video they mention that the three ringleaders pushing for DRM were Activision, EA and UBI.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Then we start the biggest shitstorm about consumer rights that there's ever been, and won't stop until everyone bends to our will!

forget console gaming as you know it.....

lending games,taking your console camping and playing games.nothing will be the same. the publishers don't realize that the differences with PC made consoles a bigger market than pc. and now they are bringing the negatives of pc on console.
smartphones and tablets from now on.
thats why probably some say that consoles wont exist anymore.because they wont function as consoles anyway.

Shaneus

Asking this here because it's a slower thread but does anyone think this scenario will happen:

Someone buys an Xbox One game, finishes it and puts it up on ebay to sell without knowing about the restrictions (due to being a casual non-forum/news browsing consumer).

Someone buys said game and finds out they can't play it and thus gives the previous owner on ebay negative feedback.

I foresee this happening in the first month at least.
There are certain things that eBay just won't let you sell (modded consoles, for example). I imagine the same could well be for this.

nib95

Banned
Just posting this in here, but in Giant Bomb's reaction video they mention that the three ringleaders pushing for DRM were Activision, EA and UBI.

Makes sense that the most profitable and largest publishers would be the ones to push for it. There's no trickle down here people, these guys will just further monopolise and further profit.

There's nothing we can say to publishers. They don't make the rules. They can deflect our protests until the end of time. This is why they want a system wide DRM in place. Because if they wanted to... they could have DRM this gen just by forcing users online to sign into an account to play a game. But they didn't... because then the shitstorm would be on them. With the consoles making the DRM mandatory no blame can be put on them.

That's why, from the start, it's been about convincing Sony and Microsoft to be on our side. Publishers were pulling them one way, we were pulling the other. MS chose the publishers. Let's see what Sony decides.

But you can judge by the complete silence or just weird non-answers from guys like one of swords that publishers don't give a shit if we turn our attention towards them... because they aren't doing anything outside the rules that the console manufacturers are creating - even if behind the scenes they are actually the reason these rules exist.

I'm all for joining one last push with #PS4NoDRM before Monday. Maybe it will do even better than it has before since the the news is finally official on the Xbox One side. I don't know. All I know is that I have a bad feeling, and I don't like the road this is going down.

Well, it should be easy to avoid games from them then.

MogCakes

Could it be considered collusion or coercion for Acti/EA/Ubi to be doing that and forcing it on MS and Sony?

I stand by famousmortimer's view that Sony and MS stand to gain the most benefits from implementing DRM. Man...what a follow-up to the conclusion of the campaign. Regardless, we've done what we can and I'm no less proud of having been a part of this.

I'm all for joining one last push with #PS4NoDRM before Monday. Maybe it will do even better than it has before since the the news is finally official on the Xbox One side. I don't know. All I know is that I have a bad feeling, and I don't like the road this is going down.

Well, it should be easy to avoid games from them then.

The vast majority of people who play games would disagree with you

The vast majority of people who play games would disagree with you
I should have been more clearer, I apologize. I meant for me it would be easy to avoid games from them. I have only played, and enjoyed, only a handful of games from EA and Ubisoft, so I wouldn't be missing out on much. Anyone else could do what they want.

Woorloog

Banned
I will probably still get BF though(getting bf4).. .FORGIVE ME

and all I bought from these three are 6 games in total this gen

I'm going to avoid all EA games for sure (its not like they're releasing games i care about anymore anyway).
Ubi? No problem. Don't care about their games usually, Blood Dragon being a rare exception.
Activision... well, i can avoid nearly all, Destiny is the only exception i know for sure. OTOH, it is MMO anyway, so it is kind of an exception already.

I'm really sad about not being able to get excited about Xbox One games now. I'll just sit and watch that conference and curse when exclusives get announced and try to make things catch on fire with my mind.

I don't wanna be all hateful and cynical about E3. :(

the dictating what customers can and can't do with physical media that really aggravates.
This is the part that gets me really.

I don't buy used, and I understand the for and against - a lot of this is of the making of big retail chains biting the hand, imo - but it's the consumers who are paying for it.

The repeated use of the phrase "can enable you" in that PR as if they're doing people a favour? Eugh.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Made this from the Xbone thread

edit suggestions?

drm4yjrw.png

I remember the day Xbox 360 launched and hearing all the exciting gamers on XBox Live in PDZ (didn't realize so many people played the same games) =/. Now I cringe thinking of the supporters and Sony bashers with the one-a-day-Xbox. I never really complained like I have before. I feel like this console limits low income families. Like those people who have to go to their library or college to use the internet. I think the people about a mile away might think that's a little harsh.

You can't play used games without a credit card?

Guymelef

Publishers can't blackmail Sony/MS/Nintendo if the don't want.
Ubi: put DRM in your console.
MS: No
Ubi: Ok... i don't going to lose millions of AC sales for our discrepancies.

weevles

Not that I don't share the frustration, but they're still going to do it no matter how much we raise a stink. In the end the final sales number will let them know if it was the right thing to do on their part. I wasn't even thinking about buying an X1 on launch, and probably won't even think about it for the next 3-5 years anyways...

Shaneus

The repeated use of the phrase "can enable you" in that PR as if they're doing people a favour? Eugh.
That's what's getting to me as well (amongst other things). As if they had a choice with earlier platforms, they wouldn't have "enabled" us at all? Give me a fucking break.

EA/Ubi/Acti can all die in a fire. Oh, and MS as well.

Throw Kuchera on there as well while we're at it.

Salaadin

I dont like this. We tweeted and tweeted and they told us they were listening and then they pull this bull shit.
Sonys my last hope but its hard to think positively after seeing todays news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom