• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: 35 million Wiis in US by 2012

test_account

XP-39C²
Ok, i was under the impression that you had to be very active with the controller :) Like in Zelda:TP you had to "slice" the controller everytime you wanted to hit etc. Maybe just a small movment is required. But i have hardly tried Wii so i cant say much about how it is to play.

test_account said:
Ok, i was under the impression that you had to be very active with the controller :) Like in Zelda:TP you had to "slice" the controller everytime you wanted to hit etc. Maybe just a small movment is required. But i have hardly tried Wii so i cant say much about it.

Then stop talking.

btw nice stealth edit.

All this 'omg you'll have to move so much' FUD died in November 2006.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
AdmiralViscen said:
Then stop talking.

btw nice stealth edit.

All this 'omg you'll have to move so much' FUD died in November 2006.
Exactly, playing dumb to justify trolling never works.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
koam said:
Irrelevant, DS sells on a per person basis not households.

I wouldn't mind if Nintendo did revisions of the Wii every so often instead of releasing a Wii 2, or Wii 3 or whatever. They can do this apple style too.

Rev 1: Wii with DVD playback, optical out and 2GB internal storage
Rev 2: Wii with 8GB of space, Wireless N, Media Center Channel
Rev 3: Wii with built-in 720P scaller, 20GB of space, HDMI

Current Wii owners would always be able to play future wii games

The GCN got some revisions too if you count the Panasonic Q and the Q DVR. Makes you wonder about a Wii DVR or if Nintendo might consider hardware licensing...could be very lucrative.

If they do revisions, an important thing to consider would be the transferring of data from one Wii to another...SD would thus, have to be opened up. WiFi/USB transfer is doable too, but SD would be most conveiniant. Openning up SD would have to be done in a "check in, check out" method to prevent copying...in other words, a strait transfer.

Wii DVD is on the horizon and would require optical out to fit with premium DVD players...it should come sooner so as to be more of a relevant revision. Adding things like a 720p scaler or more flash memory is certainly doable (there's space on the Wii's motherboard without any changes to the casing needed), but should they be in a 2ND or 3RD revision, or just in the WiiDVD revision? To me Wii DVD should have full-out DVD playback with the Wiimote to navigate, DVD-ROM features, 720p scaler (wouldn't do much since most HDTV's have them already, but could make 480p look better on higher-res TV's and maybe some future Wii games could have "N64 expansion pack" like results?), optical audio out, come packed in with component cables and an 8GB SD card...then you have a nice package and Nintendo could easily angle it as more "media friendly" by openning up a media channel or better SD support...all for cheaper still than X360 or PS3.

Of all the system's Nintendo has created they've always had an EXP port...the Wii would've made the most sense to add such for expansion, but there is none...so odd.

test_account

XP-39C²
I was under the impresson yes. So where do i say you have to move alot? What i recall i asked questions, i never made a statement that you had to move alot. Show me where i said that if so.

AdmiralViscen said:
Because you just admitted you have no clue what you're talking about.

Why do you think i asked questions? If i already knew the answers, why would i ask?

So, has anyone really figured out the "control a free-look 3rd person camera without the second analog" thing on Wii yet? It was one of the biggest reasons I elected to get the GCN version of Twilight Princess.

Tab0203

All the ads and trailers display exaggerated movements to show the casuals and uninformed what's different about this controller. I can see why many people are confused. Compare the Elebits ad to the actual movements in the game:
Elebits Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aY2ROgvshU&mode=related&search=

This shows how you play it at home, relaxed with your hand on your leg or on your couch and the nunchuk next to (or on) your leg or even behind your head (to stretch a little during gaming), if you wish:
Elebits/Eledees controls and vacuum laser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZWM2aWdR7s
Elebits/Eledees controls 2 (pushbox and turningspeed)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_gqv5XA2Mo

test_account said:
I was under the impresson yes. So where do i say you have to move alot? What i recall i asked questions, i never made a statement that you had to move alot. Show me where i said that if so.

We're really splitting hairs here.

Where did I say you said you have to move a lot? I said the FUD died a long time ago, I never said you said anything.

test_account

XP-39C²
AdmiralViscen said:
We're really splitting hairs here.

Where did I say you said you have to move a lot? I said the FUD died a long time ago, I never said you said anything.

Well.. you did quote me and said "you'll have to move much FUD died in November 2006", making a pretty strong indication that i was one of those guys that said "you'll have to move so much". If that wasnt what you ment, ok, but i didnt understand it any other way atleast.

Tab0203 said:

That looks more relaxing indeed. Tnx for the links :)

test_account said:
Well.. you did quote me and said "you'll have to move much FUD was November 2006", making a pretty strong indication that i was one of those guys that said "you'll have to move so much". If that wasnt what you ment, ok, but i didnt understand it any other way atleast.

Just as your "innocent" questions gave a pretty strong indication that you were trying to make a certain point without actually saying it.

test_account said:
But to be honest, i did mean that i have my doubts that Wii will be so popular like it is today in about 1-2 years. When the controller becomes like a common thing to people then its all upto the games to settle it. I can be damn wrong tho, but as said, we'll see ;)

That about sums it up.

test_account

XP-39C²
AdmiralViscen said:
Just as your "innocent" questions gave a pretty strong indication that you were trying to make a certain point without actually saying it.

I thought my question were pretty straight forward. Where did you feel i made an indication that i said the Wii controller sucked? Please show me and i will explain what i ment.

test_account

XP-39C²
AdmiralViscen said:
You had a bad start with the implication that Wii sales will decline when it has to depend on games instead of on novelty.

That was my predictions about the sale yes. And i do think that there is a small chance that people wont be so "must get the Wii" in 2-3 years because the factor might wear of. As said, i can be damn wrong, but its just my predictions. Then the discussion around the controller started and i asked some question how it really was since i havnt used it much. I can understand that it might have looked like that, but now you know that it was just questions :)

test_account said:
Ok, i was under the impression that you had to be very active with the controller Like in Zelda:TP you had to "slice" the controller everytime you wanted to hit etc. Maybe just a small movment is required. But i have hardly tried Wii so i cant say much about how it is to play.
Zelda does take a waggle for the basic sword movement, but one soon becomes accustomed to it*. It took a while to figure out the sweet spot for force: active enough for it to register, inactive enough for it to not quickly become tiring; but for the other 90% of the game it was no problem.

*Militant left-handers may disagree.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Zelda does take a waggle for the basic sword movement, but one soon becomes accustomed to it*. It took a while to figure out the sweet spot for force: active enough for it to register, inactive enough for it to not quickly become tiring; but for the other 90% of the game it was no problem.

*Militant left-handers may disagree.

So it depends on how many inches you move the controller or on how hard to swing it?

test_account said:
So it depends on how many inches you move the controller or on how hard to swing it?
It's about acceleration rather than distance; move it too slowly and five feet wouldn't do a thing. Basically a quick flick.

chase

I dunno. I find it hard to believe Nintendo is back in heaven again. It seems too soon. It seems like something is going to break. I guess that means I'm considering the "fad" possibility, though not with the vehement anger with which most people invoke that phrase around here.

StevieP

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
So, has anyone really figured out the "control a free-look 3rd person camera without the second analog" thing on Wii yet? It was one of the biggest reasons I elected to get the GCN version of Twilight Princess.

Go rent the Godfather Wii port.

andthebeatgoeson

milanbaros said:
The prediction is perhaps a little premature but its so difficult to know where the wii is going to end up because as of yet we have no idea of its potential monthly sales due to lack of supply.

Side note - Just had a look at Nintendo's forcast for this year. It predicts it will ship 14m Wiis this financial year which sounds reasonable but the software preiction is very low.

LTD it expects its software tie ratio to fall from 4.94 to 4.23 whereas the GCN went from 3.78 to 6.34. Its annual tie-ratio for the year is expected to only be 3.93 whereas the GCN's was 8.03.

Why such low predictions on the software front? Are Nintendo predicting that the new demographic it has supposedly sold to will make fewer purchases. They think they will only ship 55m games this year but if the Wii followed similar rules as the GCN it should ship nearer a 100m.

Edit - wow, my bolding looks retarded.
They are just underpredicting. I can't see how they were so supply constrained and are upping production to only 1.1 million units to get 14 million over a year for HW. In the same breadth, SW was underpredicted and profits were underpredicted. They just want to look stellar when they have to raise their forcast 4 times this year.

Unless he knows about the increase in production, I think he is now throwing around silly numbers. It is possible, but after all the promises Nintendo has made, I think it is a little naive to think that cockily.

They would have to start manufacturing like 2 million a month, thats 24million per anum, by 3 years thats 72 million. I think the Wii would be better front loaded than like the longevity of the PS2. Because of the lack of HD. Who knows I could be entirely wrong though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
womfalcs3 said:
35 million is not good for a cheap product.

The PS2 was more expensive at launch, and it has more than that in the US.
indeed. 38 million is not good for the PS2. Houses are much more expensive, yet the PS2 couldn't even sell half as much as houses sold in the US.

cedric69

felipeko said:
Ergonomics? the one controle that let your hands free?!

You fail.

Im not saying they need to put waggle in any game. Wiimote even without motion would be better than normal controllers.
Wow! I fail? You too kewl dudez, what with all the right GAF memes and everything. You rock, no really! :lol

Wiimote without motion would not be better than normal controllers (admitting it is better, btw), exactly because of ergonomics. And for certain games I don't think waggle is the right answer at all.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Sho_Nuff82 said:

I don't recall ever having an issue with TP camera (ala mario sunshine)

I think nintendo just figured it out by making a good camera system that has no control. (something I'm all for in games, I hate manual camera)

felipeko

cedric69 said:
Wow! I fail? You too kewl dudez, what with all the right GAF memes and everything. You rock, no really! :lol

Wiimote without motion would not be better than normal controllers (admitting it is better, btw), exactly because of ergonomics. And for certain games I don't think waggle is the right answer at all.
I asked why should normal controller stay, you said ergonomics...

Just check:
cedric69 said:
felipeko said:
But look at Wiimote, he is superior in almost every way, you just need to be creative and the game will be much better with the use of Wiimote. So why should the outdated "normal" hand controller stay?
Ergonomics? The fact that for some games waggle can do close to nothing without being extremely gimmicky? The fact that playing for extended time with waggle movements can become tiring?

And again, im not talking about waggle.. Almost every game can work on Wiimote+Nunchuck waggle-less, you just need to be creative. But most games will be better waggled.

Edit: i read misread your answer.. Wiimote IMO have better ergonomics (the fact i have my hands free plus wiimote and nunchuck fits my hands almost perfectly).

cedric69

felipeko said:
And again, im not talking about waggle.. Almost every game can work on Wiimote+Nunchuck waggle-less, you just need to be creative. But most games will be better waggled.

Edit: i read misread your answer.. Wiimote IMO have better ergonomics (the fact i have my hands free plus wiimote and nunchuck fits my hands almost perfectly).
I beg to differ on at least sports and fighting games. But we're way off topic at this point... and I honestly don't have an opinion on the 35 millions target. It's doable? Yes. Will they reach it? I don't know. I wonder, as many others, how they will fare once other consoles will start to reach affordable prices.

cedric69 said:
I beg to differ on at least sports and fighting games. But we're way off topic at this point... and I honestly don't have an opinion on the 35 millions target. It's doable? Yes. Will they reach it? I don't know. I wonder, as many others, how they will fare once other consoles will start to reach affordable prices.
Other consoles don't have the waggle association with the Wii and don't have Wii Sports or any competent copies. Then they have to overcome perception built up over the years before entering the $250 mass consumer sweet spot, like the challenges faced by Nintendo with the Gamecube-kiddy association of last gen.

Eteric Rice

cedric69 said:

The Wii will then be super affordable. When the 360 is $199, the Wii will be $99.

And if it has games from the period when it was dominating (speculation), people will buy it in droves. So while the 360 and PS3 reach a highly affordable price, the Wii will be affordable enough for anyone and their mom to own.

I suspect they'll then announce Wii2, which will probably have HD games (much like current games) and an upscaler for Wii games (like the PS3 for PS1 and PS2 games).

It'll be interesting.

Shiggy

Eteric Rice said:
The Wii will then be super affordable. When the 360 is $199, the Wii will be $99.

I doubt, if the Wii is still sold out, then there won't be a price-cut. Just look to Europe, the X360 Core was sold for 199 Euro, but still it sold worse than Wii. (the Premium was 299.99)

Shiggy said:
I doubt, if the Wii is still sold out, then there won't be a price-cut. Just look to Europe, the X360 Core was sold for 199 Euro, but still it sold worse than Wii. (the Premium was 299.99)

That would depend on whether the X360 price cut had a negative impact on Wii sales.

cedric69 said:

And on the opposite side of the spectrum, I wonder how the 360 and PS3 are going to stop Wii when the 360 has sold mediocre worldwide to this point and the PS3 is all but stillborn.

Eteric Rice

Pureauthor said:
That would depend on whether the X360 price cut had a negative impact on Wii sales.

I wish they'd hurry the hell up. I'd like one, but $400 is a nice chunk of money. Not to mention the insane failure rate that it has right now.

*sigh* I want to play Blue Dragon. :(

Top Bottom