• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |OT5| If we die in this thread, we die in real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Actually I wonder why shesshy always travels alone and never with the rest of the dog demons, its implied that the dog demons made fun of inyuasha when he was a kid so they're obviously around but they never play a part in the plot

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Bleach - 309 - Fierce Fighting Finale! Release, Final Getsuga Tenshou!
12:30 - Naruto - 36 - Clone vs. Clone: Mine are Better than Yours!
1:00 - One Piece - 218 - Full-Blast Slow-Slow Onslaught Vs. Invulnerable Luffy!
1:30 - Soul Eater - 24 - The Battle of the Gods – Death City on the Verge of Collapse?
2:00 - Sword Art Online - 2 - Beater
2:30 - IGPX - 15 - Feeling Lost
3:00 - Eureka seveN - 49 - Shout to the Top!
3:30 - Big O - 15 - Negotiation with the Dead
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 38 - Conflict at Baschool
4:30 - Cowboy Bebop - 15 - My Funny Valentine
5:00 - Inuyasha - 77 - The Panther Tribe and the Two Swords of the Fang
5:30 - Inuyasha - 78 - Only You, Sango

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzREOw9UaOHowgm

zlCfzREO2nUDclkXD2
zlCfzREO9I40bK4Ac-

zlCfzREPCI8lV3qA8H
zlCfzREPM1cMTJTfno

zlCfzREPYZMI-bdKpc
zlCfzREPcqoUPegoNG

zlCfzREPgKQVScaOJD
tumblr_mqn1cdNigu1s9kej6o1_400.png

zlCfzREP72EVz42SxV
zlCfzREP_GcedOMFRw

zlCfzREQCGE5eoPqDJ

LATER.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Been waiting to Draw that Afro Luffy! The Dorothy Pic messed up with net problems on Miiverse, so that's actually a photo of it up there... now a GAF
(and Tumblr...)
Exclusive, lol.

I have a feeling this weeks sketch dump will be glorious

I hope it lives up to your expectations! ;)

Nice!

Later

Thanks! Yout First Toonami with us? Hope you had fun! And we'll see ya again next week! (and the next.. and the NEXT...)

XD I'm surprised Gulliver didn't drop like a dead weight, too. Lucky Dominic!
I always wished DVD Alternative Angles would allow easter egg alt scenes...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning Toonami GAF.

Afro Luffy! Funimation did an amazing job with the dubbing here. So funky!
That nightmare face at the end of Soul Eater? It's the page image for Soul Eater's Nightmare Fuel page on TVTropes. Yeah.

So... Sword Art Online. Kind of boring and raises faaar too many questions. We'll see where it goes. Hopefully it does well enough ratings wise to allow more dub premieres on Toonami.

Good morning Toonami GAF.

Afro Luffy! Funimation did an amazing job with the dubbing here. So funky!
That nightmare face at the end of Soul Eater? It's the page image for Soul Eater's Nightmare Fuel page on TVTropes. Yeah.

So... Sword Art Online. Kind of boring and raises faaar too many questions. We'll see where it goes. Hopefully it does well enough ratings wise to allow more dub premieres on Toonami.

Don't worry Sao will be a hilarious awesome ride

If the writing doesn't start improving fast I'm not sure I'll be able to take it. The entire first half where he teaches that guy how to play was wasted. They could have cut most of it and it would have made no difference.

Now that would be awesome.

Gintamalaugh.gif

This is going to be so good

Serious note episode 2 is probably one of the best episodes of the show everyone should be happy after assuming the dub isn't bad

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gintamalaugh.gif

This is going to be so good

Serious note episode 2 is probably one of the best episodes of the show everyone should be happy after assuming the dub isn't bad

Are the mechanics of how to play really going to be that important? They better be considering the first real part of the show was almost pure exposition about them.

Are the mechanics of how to play really going to be that important? They better be considering the first real part of the show was almost pure exposition about them.

Let's put it this way, this series will frequently talk about the mechanics and features of Sao throughout the series.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Let's put it this way, this series will frequently talk about the mechanics and features of Sao throughout the series.

To what end? Is it just to take up time or are they actually important? If we're going to have to deal with filler just to pad episode times I dunno if I can handle it.

I mean a minute or two here or there in off-hand comments is just fine and can help with the world/character building, but if it's going to be a 15 minute exposition fest every time...

When the author originally wrote Sao it was a short story for a contest that basically covered the first 2 episodes and then skipped ahead to cover the last few episodes of the series. Later the author wrote more material on their website to tell of kirito's adventures during the massive time skip the original novel had. This added content is the context of episode 3 on towards the ending of Sao and is designed to expand upon the world of Sao. Episodes include dynamics such as guilds, beta testers, the skill and level up systems, the familiar system, the player killing systems, etc. These side stories focus on how the systems relate to a traditional mmo and how they translate to Sao the world the players find themselves trapped in.

I don't feel like I'm spoiling much with this if others disagree let me know and ill tag it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'll be honest, even if the first two episodes are supposed to be a short story I don't see the first half of last night's episode ever coming into play. At least not to the degree it would have to in order to justify the length of that scene.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Thanks for the Sketch Dump Comments guys, always appreciated! Gonna have so much fun drawing Dorothy...

I like the way Attack on Titan explains some of its world concepts.

It's quick Eye-catch segments? They blaze by so fast, almost like "buy the DVD to be able to pause!" Bait, ha.

----

SAO's explanation phase didn't bother me much, because it reminded me so much of trying to explain things to game noobs in Ragnarok Online / Final Fantasy XI... It takes forever to get the simpliest things across.

If the show's way of providing budget-saving filler is not to spend it on entire episodes of filler, but to spread it to 5 or 10 min segments of MMO-Dryness every few episodes, I think I can live with that. As long as the rest is of decent quality... because that's what MMO's always felt like to me anywho!

For any who played Ragnarok... I was sure someone was going to pop a "Dead Branch" in the middle of the first "OMG, We can die in the game?!?" scene, lol.

The overall setup excites me, for the simple fact that it's a novel way to force a swords-and-sorcery (minus the sorcery? :( ) world, while still keeping modern personalities and ideals in mind, rather than shoe-horning modern slang and tech into an otherwise authentic medieval time. That alone was enough to make me want to come back for Episode 2... lets see how it goes from there!

I'll be honest, even if the first two episodes are supposed to be a short story I don't see the first half of last night's episode ever coming into play. At least not to the degree it would have to in order to justify the length of that scene.

I mean in the simplest terms the combat mechanics will come into play for every battle in the series lol. Also I think it's supposed to establish the rules for later when shenanigans happen later in the series

yeah. it was basically there to say "hey, look, they're REALLY IN A GAME" and it really didn't need to. if they could've presented it in an interesting way, maybe, but they weren't able to and i've got my money on it being pretty pointless in the end, too, or at least it will be totally unable to justify taking up half the episode.

i'm personally just pretty shocked at how inept the appearance of the game's creator was. it should be ominous or creepy or SOMETHING. it was just there. if these are supposedly the best parts of the series, we're gonna have some serious problems.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I mean in the simplest terms the combat mechanics will come into play for every battle in the series lol. Also I think it's supposed to establish the rules for later when shenanigans happen later in the series

Well obviously, but it could have just been done in an internal monologue real fast during a fight instead of teaching that guy. You know, have him in a fight, struggle a little and go "doh, I forgot I'm supposed to do this". It was just incredibly slow for a first episode. I mean would it have been so much to ask to have a little bit of ominous build up to the big "no one can log off reveal"? I mean cut between the game and some cops dealing with the beginnings of what's going on outside or something. Gimme a little build up for crying out loud. I mean even the first episode of GPX wasn't this devoid of drama.

yeah. it was basically there to say "hey, look, they're REALLY IN A GAME" and it really didn't need to. if they could've presented it in an interesting way, maybe, but they weren't able to and i've got my money on it being pretty pointless in the end, too, or at least it will be totally unable to justify taking up half the episode.

i'm personally just pretty shocked at how inept the appearance of the game's creator was. it should be ominous or creepy or SOMETHING. it was just there. if these are supposedly the best parts of the series, we're gonna have some serious problems.

This is exactly what I am talking about! Given an hour we could have done a better job on the script.

Well obviously, but it could have just been done in an internal monologue real fast during a fight instead of teaching that guy. You know, have him in a fight, struggle a little and go "doh, I forgot I'm supposed to do this". It was just incredibly slow for a first episode. I mean would it have been so much to ask to have a little bit of ominous build up to the big "no one can log off reveal"? I mean cut between the game and some cops dealing with the beginnings of what's going on outside or something. Gimme a little build up for crying out loud. I mean even the first episode of GPX wasn't this devoid of drama.

The story is supposed to follow kirito's perspective it's really rare for him not to be in a scene. And yes I admit the series isn't good and if people are already groaning it's only going to get better/worse.

Also I think the dub did the villain a disservice, he was much creepier sounding in the original Japanese version. This guy sounded too much like pre hypnotism Aizen, warm and inviting people to his world.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The story is supposed to follow kirito's perspective it's really rare for him not to be in a scene. And yes I admit the series isn't good and if people are already groaning it's only going to get better/worse.

Also I think the dub did the villain a disservice, he was much creepier sounding in the original Japanese version. This guy sounded too much like pre hypnotism Aizen, warm and inviting people to his world.

No I get that, but the game mechanics could have been explained by Kirito in an internal monologue during a fight.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't want to spoil episode two, but establishing Kirito as someone who would help another player will be important.

There are still better ways to do that, he could have saved the guy or something. I just can't get over that they actually went with what they did over all the other, much better, options available to them. And that it lasted 15 minutes. 15 goddamn minutes!

Moaradin

I thought he sounded creepier in Japanese

I don't want to get into his character too much because that would be spoiler territory obviously, but he never came across as a mustache twirling villain to me.

And yea episode 1 is slow. It's gonna get better the next few episodes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Awesome. Love everything. My favorites are the SE nightmare fuel, E7, and the Naruto because that explains a lot. Great job.

Thanks :) I think the Naruto one was easily inspired by me seeing so much Dragon's Crown stuff lately too, lol.

I actually enjoyed how oddly sudden the "no one can log off" reveal was. It felt like a jarring interruption in the middle of "business as usual", which felt a lot more unique than the usual "hint to the big reveal with snippets of seemingly un-related events unfolding" method.

If anything, I was more offput by how easily Kirito got out of the initial group, and into his own private thing. All that panic, and he was able to escape, formulate a plan, invite his first friend, and kill off a random enemy with no issues from anyone else?

I can see myself judging this series primarily on how well they work in the game-related angles, and how authentic to MMOs it ends up being. Mixed in with some exploring of "what would desperate gamers do if trapped in an alt world with real life death as a possibility?"

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
In former Toonami shows news: the manga version of Deadman Wonderland has come to an end.
If you wish to read the series legally, Viz has announced that they licensed it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I actually enjoyed how oddly sudden the "no one can log off" reveal was. It felt like a jarring interruption in the middle of "business as usual", which felt a lot more unique than the usual "hint to the big reveal with snippets of seemingly un-related events unfolding" method.

I can dig that, it's just for me the reveal wasn't nearly strong enough to justify doing it that way. For example a recent chapter of Attack on Titan had a reveal like that and it was a very strong one, it happened and everything just went to hell almost instantly as a result. Here sure they're stuck in there, but they aren't in any immediate danger. If you're gonna do that kind of reveal I feel like you either have to go all in or not even bother.

Not sure what to say about SAO just yet, except that it was kinda just eh for now given how much I've heard it either sucking, being awesome (for the first X episodes) , etc. Right now the story just raises a lot of questions that all I can do I guess is turn my suspension of disbelief up a notch about. One disappointment (though I saw it coming due to the use of a certain gif a lot) was the mirror thing, as I think someone said last night, it would have been interesting to see what people do stuck in a world as a persona different from their offline one, but I guess that's been done (and probably wouldn't have been executed all too well anyways) . Either way I'll wait and see how it goes.

I can dig that, it's just for me the reveal wasn't nearly strong enough to justify doing it that way. For example a recent chapter of Attack on Titan had a reveal like that and it was a very strong one, it happened and everything just went to hell almost instantly as a result. Here sure they're stuck in there, but they aren't in any immediate danger. If you're gonna do that kind of reveal I feel like you either have to go all in or not even bother.

if you're gonna try to hook me on a series (which anime in general does a poor job of doing from the first episode, it seems to me), don't put it text that says a bunch of people died. SHOW SOMEBODY DIE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom