• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD - Newly arranged music

Vashetti

Banned
Anyone know if the remaster is native 720p or 1080p?

I'm sure the KH1.5 remaster could run at 720p with 4xAA, whilst running at a higher resolution (not sure if it was 1080p) you'd get less AA.

Edit: Here we go, found this in another thread:

Found from a debug PS3:

KH1.5HD
1440x810 @30fps + 2x MSAA / 1280 x 720 @30fps + 4x MSAA

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Anyone know if the remaster is native 720p or 1080p?

I'm sure the KH1.5 remaster could run at 720p with 4xAA, whilst running at a higher resolution (not sure if it was 1080p) you'd get less AA.

Gameplay seems to be 720p while the FMVs are 1080p.

Andrefpvs

I wonder if I'm among the few that actually liked FFX's normal battle theme...

Nope, I really love it. It's from Uematsu, right?

Also, just to show how much I like it, I can't play any instruments at all but I learned how to play part of this song by hear on a keyboard
IJECJ.gif

Reveirg

"Arrangement" usually refers to the instruments or a reworking of the 'original' version with different instruments and such that are chosen for a song. So say if they did an electro arrange version of To Zanarkand, they would use the same base composition but do it with synths or whatever.

"Original music with higher quality" would be remastering, but they seem to be planning on rearranging tracks with new adaptations. This could be really good or really bad.

A different terminology is most often used for video games music though. Arrangement is often simply referring to the synth work. The same instruments will be used and a soundset switch will be made. This could be referred to "original music with higher quality" too since, well that's what it is.

Changing the "real arrangement" will be referred as a remix.

I took a look at the original FFX soundtrack and out of the 86 track, 19 of them were originally recorded with live instruments.

If 60 tracks are being reworked by Hamauzu, it's safe to say they're rearranging almost all of the original PS2-chip synth-based tracks.

Now I can't wait to see to what extent... simple soundset switch,
or live recording as with KH HD?

A little taste of what we could get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESjOVUWQTU

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Biker19

Banned
I really hate it when game music is rearranged for things like this and you don't get an option for the original music. It's like that in Zero no Kiseki Evolution. Most of the arrangements are inferior to the originals. I love Hamauzu, I really do, but some of the music is great the way it was. Especially Wandering Flame omg.

Oh yes, Wandering Flame. One of my most favorite songs from FFX.

Beautiful & makes you want to cry when in a bad situation.

zeopower6

A different terminology is most often used for video games music though. Arrangement is often simply referring to the synth work. The same instruments will be used and a soundset switch will be made. This could be referred to "original music with higher quality" too since, well that's what it is.

Changing the "real arrangement" will be referred as a remix.

I took a look at the original FFX soundtrack and out of the 86 track, 19 of them were originally recorded with live instruments.

If 60 tracks are being reworked by Hamauzu, it's safe to say they're rearranging almost all of the original PS2-chip synth-based tracks.

Now I can't wait to see to what extent... simple soundset switch,
or live recording as with KH HD?

A little taste of what we could get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mESjOVUWQTU

Interesting... I thought it was the same for all music. (mainly in Japan since they tend to use the words/music/arrangement credits often... same in China, just in Chinese obviously as opposed to just "produced by" in Korea or the West) Maybe it's more common now that a lot of games don't really rely on synths that much.

Though I feel like 'remix' isn't as widely used unless the new version is VASTLY different and is a really big departure from the original compared to a 'rearrangement' which is essentially the same melody/composition with a different set of instruments used.

This is what the old menu really looks like when it's not blurred to death btw:

3p2uzz.png

It still looks bad. :( If they were going for a stylized brushstroke-y theme with the menus, I wonder why they didn't go all the way with it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Menus, despite not being blurry looks bad.

linko9

I hope this is an option. X is the only mainline FF game (other than XI, which I must never allow myself to play) that I haven't played yet. Right when I was about to start playing the PS2 copy I've owned for years, the HD announcement was made, so I decided to just wait for that. But more and more it's looking like maybe I should just play the PS2 version, not necessarily because the changes they're making are bad, but because I want to experience the game in as close a form as possible to the original experience.... but in a higher resolution. Guess emulation's the way to go, but I'll wait till this HD version comes out and see what the verdict is.

So am I the only one that finds 12 OST to be a little generic?

To me it just felt like the soundtrack to an over-ambitious movie as opposed to an FF. The songs fit the setting and tone, but none of them made an emotional connection or left anything close to a lasting impact like previous tracks from FF games. Just aggressively forgettable and bland. I really, really want them to remake 12 but fix all of its glaring issues. Somewhere in there, there are the makings of a great game, but it's such a freaking half-baked, aborted mess.

On the other hand, I can't wait to hear the redone tracks for X. The soundtrack was already amazing, but I'm staying cautiously optimistic when it comes to the new versions.

I like variation. It's just that FFX's soundtrack lacks consistency and cohesion.

I agree, but I feel like the high-points more than made up for its less impressive aspects.

kvn

This is what the old menu really looks like when it's not blurred to death btw:

3p2uzz.png

Didn't like the old menus. Looked photoshop-amateurish, like someone found some neat photoshop "brushstrolke" brushes on deviantart and the worst color combination possible (i like purple though). New ones look ok.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Not at all. I've heard that a lot.

But I disagree. :)

I love this OST. I tend to think that it's strength is lost on people who want "catchiness" like the SNES/PS1 tracks of old. From where I stand, it's highly unique, and paints a tone that is incredibly beautiful and one of a kind. One of my top FF soundtracks, and I have been a fan for decades.

Xux

Looking forward to these. Shame it sounds like they're keeping the tracks Nakano did. I'd love to hear an existent boss battle theme from either Uematsu or Hamauzu. Oh well, maybe Hamauzu can pull a miracle and make them sound good.

Yoshichan

I have never played FFX before so i will buy Vita version
But i am afraid that it will be digital download only
Have we heard anything about that?

Goli

Didn't like the old menus. Looked photoshop-amateurish, like someone found some neat photoshop "brushstrolke" brushes on deviantart and the worst color combination possible (i like purple though). New ones look ok.

That is exactly why I wish they kept them. The menus were so bad they were good. They have that late 90's kitschy appeal to me.

Myriadis

I'm currently playing the original version on the PS2.
What I personally hope for is that they make every cutscene and all battle animations skippable. Seriously, the battle animations in this game make the battles feel like an eternity, especially if they have low HP, where they slooooowly get back on their feet again before doing their attacks. And oh god, the Cloister puzzles. Every time you put in or remove some stone, you have to watch a slow cutscene.

Plus if they give the AP at the end of the battle, every Member should get that instead of just the ones used in the battle. Switching to every member just to let them get defensive to get the AP is such an idiotic thing to do which makes every battle even much longer.

I also hope that they redo the Calm Lands. The biggest failure of an "open field" I ever seen. Absolutely bland and boring, almost completely flat, no vegetation or animals (except a few chocobos) roaming around. Leads to about 4 places, two of them that don't feature much exploration either and one for the main quest path. Tbh, I was disappointed excepting a more open approach after 25 hours of linear corridor areas. In the HD version they have at least the chance to make that field much prettier.

I have faith in Hamauzu that he will rearrange it wonderfully. Playing the game recently, I think that there are several tracks where the low synth-quality really hurts the track.

jaxword

I also hope that they redo the Calm Lands. The biggest failure of an "open field" I ever seen. Absolutely bland and boring, almost completely flat, no vegetation or animals (except a few chocobos) roaming around. Leads to about 4 places, two of them that don't feature much exploration either and one for the main quest path. Tbh, I was disappointed excepting a more open approach after 25 hours of linear corridor areas. In the HD version they have at least the chance to make that field much prettier.

It's an HD remake, not a gameplay remake...they won't be changing around maps like that.

SirNinja

Have we heard anything about that?
We still haven't heard anything more about the Vita versions at all. Square has been unusually quiet about them...hope everything's all right.

Plus if they give the AP at the end of the battle, every Member should get that instead of just the ones used in the battle. Switching to every member just to let them get defensive to get the AP is such an idiotic thing to do which makes every battle even much longer.
If they make any gameplay change at all, I really hope it's this. They probably won't, though.

I also hope that they redo the Calm Lands. The biggest failure of an "open field" I ever seen. Absolutely bland and boring, almost completely flat, no vegetation or animals (except a few chocobos) roaming around. Leads to about 4 places, two of them that don't feature much exploration either and one for the main quest path. Tbh, I was disappointed excepting a more open approach after 25 hours of linear corridor areas.
I wonder how well they end up handling that, actually. The Calm Lands is probably the one area of FFX that looks worse in 1080p than at 512x416. Doesn't help that a lot of people are going to compare it to the Archylte Steppe from XIII.

I used to think that too, until I listened to it outside the game. Sakimoto's compositions are very nuanced; there's a lot going on in nearly every piece. They aren't as melodic or hummable as most of Uematsu's stuff, but they suit the game's world and characters extremely well.

XII had some good tracks that really fit the mood of the area...I thought for example that the Necrohol had some great mysterious music as well as the land surrounding it. It doesn't jump out at you but I think it gets better once you listen to it a few times.

Fou-Lu

I agree, I can't stand the old menus honestly and it was basically my most wanted change and I got it, so... yay!

There was a song I really liked in the game when you got to Lake Macalania. I was never able to find it in the OST though, which sucks because it sounded great.

There was a song I really liked in the game when you got to Lake Macalania. I was never able to find it in the OST though, which sucks because it sounded great.

This reminds me: what was up with the scene where your party fell into the lake but everyone was chilling and talking as if not being submerged into water ? I always found that scene weird and incomprehensible. And then everyone wakes up in the desert. I always thought the guys behind the game simply had no ideas how to bridge the two scenes and cut corners.

Yoshichan

Macalania... So good! I really can't wait for a release date, Sqaureeeeeee!

Sean*O

I'm sure they won't, but if they somehow manage to fuck up To Zanarkand, shit will hit the fan.

Yeah, that would be too bad. I heard some black mages for the first time the other night and the track started out with a nice rendition of zanarkand on piano that sounded really close to the original. Then it changed to a forgettable metal riff and some male opera singer was doing the melody and it was just not working for me. Now I am worried I wont be able to get that voice out of my head whenever i hear the original track.

Very few games seem bound to the soundtrack like a FF game is. Square had better be careful here.

SirNinja

This reminds me: what was up with the scene where your party fell into the lake but everyone was chilling and talking as if not being submerged into water ? I always found that scene weird and incomprehensible. And then everyone wakes up in the desert. I always thought the guys behind the game simply had no ideas how to bridge the two scenes and cut corners.

The game didn't explain/present this well at all, but here's what happened:

Look at this render of Sin from the game files.

See those buildings on its head?

Now check out this video around 30 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42JzPJgluYo

Look familiar?

Yep. They landed right on top of Sin. The game does a terrible job of explaining this to you (the only other hint is Auron remarking "The ground!" before the CG scene of Sin plays.)

The party passes out because he starts dreaming; I guess that's when he releases his "toxin". He then takes them to Bikanel, where they all wake up. Why does he take them there? The best theory is that Jecht is still in a little control (remember before Braska's Final Aeon, where he says soon he'll "become Sin completely"?), so he takes Tidus and co. to where Yuna is being held so they can reunite. (Unfortunately Home is attacked by the Guado before they can reach her, and the story continues from there.)

As for the water level: it isn't right below the ice. It's right there where the party is, far below the temple. (If the water went right up to the ice, Macalania Temple would also be underwater.)

Ixion

Look familiar?

Yep. They landed right on top of Sin. The game does a terrible job of explaining this to you (the only other hint is Auron remarking "The ground!" before the CG scene of Sin plays.)

The party passes out because he starts dreaming; I guess that's when he releases his "toxin". He then takes them to Bikanel, where they all wake up. Why does he take them there? The best theory is that Jecht is still in a little control (remember before Braska's Final Aeon, where he says soon he'll "become Sin completely"?), so he takes Tidus and co. to where Yuna is being held so they can reunite. (Unfortunately Home is attacked by the Guado before they can reach her, and the story continues from there.)

As for the water level: it isn't right below the ice. It's right there where the party is, far below the temple. (If the water went right up to the ice, Macalania Temple would also be underwater.)

Holy shit.

I've played through FFX over a dozen times and I never realized that. lol

Squire

Banned
Holy shit.

I've played through FFX over a dozen times and I never realized that. lol

I have as well, but I'm not sure if that slipped me entirely. I might've got it and just forgot after so many years.

Sin is the most grotesque creature though, Christ.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I wouldn't say generic, but I would say that any given theme have been put somewhere else in the game, and fit in just as well. The music, while generally quite good, doesn't feel like it was made for a specific place. Look at the Thunder Plains theme for FFX, or the music for Besaid Island, or the theme in the Zanarkand Ruins. Those songs just belong there. Like most things in FFX, it all feels like there was a cohesive vision whereas FFXII was a matter of just throwing as much shit together into one game as possible and hoping it works.

To be clear, though, I really like FFXII.

Look familiar?

Yeah, I knew they landed on Sin, but I was still perplexed as to the water or lack thereof. If the water is below Sin, then why is there ice hundreds of meters above ?

edit: and they could have explained just why they all ended up in a desert hundreds of miles away, all at a different place. Jecht helping them is a long shot, and even if true, they should have hinted at it.

Yoshichan

Spoileeeeers :_:

Top Bottom