• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD - Newly arranged music

Dream options:

* Original music
* Remastered music
* Orchestral arrangements

I'm not going to be rude here, but I'm just going to say that there is no reason to want "Remastered music" as an option.

It's OK though. HD remakes being called "remastered" has completely confused people as to what mastering actually is for audio or video.

zeopower6

Newly arranged music? Is this something lost in translation or are they moving bits of the music into a different order or so it plays a different area? I'm assuming they're just redoing the original music with higher quality.

"Arrangement" usually refers to the instruments or a reworking of the 'original' version with different instruments and such that are chosen for a song. So say if they did an electro arrange version of To Zanarkand, they would use the same base composition but do it with synths or whatever.

"Original music with higher quality" would be remastering, but they seem to be planning on rearranging tracks with new adaptations. This could be really good or really bad.

Goli

I really hope the battle theme is part of the newly arranged music, I really hate it. Probably the battle theme I hate the most in a FF game.

I would really like them to add the main Final Fantasy theme music into the closing credits--since they're going to be longer than they originally were anyway. it's silly, but I remember missing it back in the day when I beat the game (wasn't it in the credits for every FF since like...4 or 5? Definitely from 6 on at least).

_woLf

I did not know that cover of Suteki Da Ne existed.

If it's in the game I'm going to throw my vita out the window. Why does she say suteki da ne when the rest of it is translated.

Why.

That is terrible.

Ganondorfo

How was final fantasy x recieved among you hardcore final fantasy fans? Was it the final fantasy 13 of the ps2 generation?

Atlantis

No remaster could ever fix this God-Awful track

Crazy Chocobo has nothing on that piece of shit...

Erm, this is kinda...um...

tumblr_lk2nbfL21N1qfvifd.gif

Aurizen

I was really hoping for what that beta had which was shown in 2000. the full 3d with the moving camera screen. and the detail clothing where the clothes move as the character moved.

These features would be ideal in this remaster!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
"Have mercy," indeed. Have mercy on anyone who plays FFX with an interest in trophies.

Don't care about trophies at all? Intend to play FFX more or less the same way you did back in 2001? You'll be fine. Enjoy.
Relax, I've 100%'d the game on PS2 before - I was mostly joking :3

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yesterday was painful... Ever since this collection was announced (God knows when), I've ignored watching videos or listening to the music of this game. I've seriously managed to keep myself media blackout for a long time... until yesterday.

When I shower, I turn on my Final Fantasy radio app on my phone... it shuffles between the billion FF songs (including the movies and other gimmick/spinoff-games). I had never encountered a FFX song to this date..., but as I was taking a shower, I had just put shampoo on my entire face and suddenly - the boss theme of FFX from the speakers!

I panic and I try to shower it off my eyes so I can reach the phone and turn the music off. My eyes are burning at this point and as I'm stretching myself as far as I can (I didn't want water outside of the showers), I slip and fall on my elbow :( As I'm on the ground, I'm laughing hysterically at what just happened - while listening to the entire song. I have failed you, Hamauzu :(!

Final Fantasy X is serious business. Serious, fucking, business :lol

Yoshichan

I really hope the battle theme is part of the newly arranged music, I really hate it. Probably the battle theme I hate the most in a FF game.
It has it's up and down... I don't really love the start of the song but the middle and especially final parts of it is godtier in my opinion.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The FFX battle theme always sounded Latino to me. Add some castanets and it would make for good bullfighting music.

Yoshichan

Pretty much how I feel too. The problem is that the most battles are short and the good parts are barely heard.
Yeah. Even though I really like almost every battle/boss song from the mainline Final Fantasy, I love listening to the ones that start with a somewhat "relaxing" tune. Some examples:

The "good" starts
FFXIII: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfu0XBf8kmk

FFVIII: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WL4SGO85Uk

The "not so good" starts:
FFVII: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcsEfkNeRm0

FFIX: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50bTK49Gzc

All of the above songs are amazing though. For the boss tunes however, I love the aggressive songs. FFX has the best boss theme out there in my opinion. I hope they don't arrange that song at all :(

Thoraxes

I wonder if I'm among the few that actually liked FFX's normal battle theme...

I was kinda middle of the road on it. The synth-lead sounds near the middle really didn't mesh well with the rest of the patches, and I always thought it was just a liiiiiiitle too slow. It was the more forgettable of battle themes in terms of oomph, as far as my ears as a listener go.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

I don't hate it... but it's a bit whimsical for my tastes.

My heart will always belong to the FFVIII battle theme. How progressively epic and strange for FF it seemed at the time..... memories (sorry wrong thread for that!)

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Why do they need to arrange it? I guess they should also add the original in 5.1 or w/e.

I don't hate it... but it's a bit whimsical for my tastes.

My heart will always belong to the FFVIII battle theme. How progressively epic and strange for FF it seemed at the time..... memories (sorry wrong thread for that!)
I always really liked 7's, 8's had a few moments that were a bit off, I felt.

Thoraxes

Why do they need to arrange it? I guess they should also add the original in 5.1 or w/e.

We don't really know how they're being arranged yet.

Could just be actual orchestrations of the earlier stuff but with live performers this time for all we know.

I'm personally hoping for the some of the Vielen Dank and X Piano Collection arrangement to show up in game, especially things like the Jenseits der Finsternis piano quintet.

Been too long since I played X, it's my 2nd favourite Final Fantasy game just behind VII and just in front of XIII, yet I just played through the once (played through VII 3 times)

I'm struggling to remember names of enemies, aeons, locations, music etc, but reading through this thread so much is coming back.
The only Dark Aeon I defeated was Yuna's, I remember trying to get Ribbons.

One of my fondest memories though was Blitzball, I loved going around recruiting new players.

I've Platinumed XIII and XIII-2, so bring on X and X-2.

Need to find my original guide book, think it was Piggyback.

Yoshichan

Need to find my original guide book, think it was Piggyback.
Speaking of guide books, weirdly enough, GAME where I live have actually got the Piggyback FFX and X-2 guides and it's still in plastic. I don't remember them having the guides before, so they must've bought them in or something for this collection o_O?

Dynedom

A trophy for All Celstial Weapons fully unlocked will finally force me to dodge 200 bolts. I have never done it. Ever.

Beat Dark Aeons? Yup
Beat Dark Magus Sisters without Zanmato? Yup
Beat Penance? Yup
Dodge 200 bolts? Fuck no

neoism

you should get something special in game for having a 100% FFX save on your ps3.... this is really the only thing I'm excited for ps3 wise this year.....Think I will skip KHs remake... its been 10 years since I touched this game though....
FFX<3

Yazuka

After seeing the old and new menu side by side, I think I actually prefer the new menu. It looks really great.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Menu looks alright, nice and clean, not sure what to think about any music rearrangements as some of the music in the game is fantastic. As for the trophies, I'd like to think I would platinum it, but dodging those 200 lightning bolts again is just bringing back bad memories, lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Tiamant said:
What are the differences between vanilla X-2 and International? I know about the extra dresspheres and Last Mission but are there any tweaks in the gameplay like FFXII Zodiac?

The are a few tweaks and changes mainly so catnip+iron duke isn't totally game-breaking (puts you in berzerk mode if I remember right) and similar small changes. As you mentioned there are new special dress-spheres and some new garment grids (very cool ones), but the big change is the whole monster rancher sub-game.

Essentially you place "traps" via the world map on the airship and capture and breed monsters and NPC's in an arena. Combat between monsters is pretty simple, you simply have a sort of throttle-system where you can push your character towards a more defensive or aggressive style of fighting. Kind of like Chocobo racing.

If I remember right you also have some straight battles between your party and created monsters in the arena, because there are definitely some unique monsters that cannot be found anywhere else.

The big change though is any monster or NPC (pretty much every major NPC in the game from Baralai to Trema is capturable) you "own" can actually be added to the normal party during gameplay. Most are pretty basic, but some have special attacks that may be unique to them.

My memory is kind of fuzzy because its a long time ago when I played it, not to mention I played it in Japanese with an extremely limited understanding of the language!

I do vividly remember the monster capture thing took me 40 hours to complete by itself! So its a pretty substantial addition by any standards.

EDIT: There's a comprehensive FAQ of changes at Gamefaqs, just had a quick look and holy crap... there are a LOT of changes/tweaks/additions.

Holmes

"Have mercy," indeed. Have mercy on anyone who plays FFX with an interest in trophies.

Don't care about trophies at all? Intend to play FFX more or less the same way you did back in 2001? You'll be fine. Enjoy.
I'm going for all the trophies because I want to do everything anyway, and I'm looking forward to it.

squall211

How was final fantasy x recieved among you hardcore final fantasy fans? Was it the final fantasy 13 of the ps2 generation?

I absolutely love it. I'm not going to rank all of the FF games, but it's probably tied with V for my second favorite mainline entry.

Yoshichan

I'm going for all the trophies because I want to do everything anyway, and I'm looking forward to it.
It'll feel more satisfying with a plat!

Shahed

There's no way I'm getting plat on this. The amount of grinding it would take to catch every monster and max stats would kill me. I could finish several other games based on the grinding time alone

While I like it, as other people have said, it starts off slow. Middle to end is pretty good though

A trophy for All Celstial Weapons fully unlocked will finally force me to dodge 200 bolts. I have never done it. Ever.

Beat Dark Aeons? Yup
Beat Dark Magus Sisters without Zanmato? Yup
Beat Penance? Yup
Dodge 200 bolts? Fuck no

How about we swap? I'll do the Lightning Bolts for you and you do those for me? I'll even throw in the Butterfly Catching and Chocobo Baloons as well!

Lexxon

NO NO NO

I cringe every time someone mentions the 200 bolts. I attempted that many many times, and was CONVINCED I had it--mentally counting 197...198..199...200! Better get a couple extra just in ca--FUUUU

...turns out I was one off. I had 199.

I have not played FFX since that day, over 10 years ago. I will probably pick up this collection at some point though, although I may wait until I get a Vita.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I don't find FFX's soundtrack to be cohesive, and that's generally because I felt that Nakano and Hamauzu's work completely topped Uematsu's work on it. Lots of throwaway themes, too. Battle theme isn't too my liking either.

Glad Hamauzu's doing some arrangements, though. He's awesome.

I'm personally hoping for the some of the Vielen Dank and X Piano Collection arrangement to show up in game, especially things like the Jenseits der Finsternis piano quintet.
This man knows the business.

Platinum seekers just might want to prepare themselves to face 200 lightning bolts, just in case.
Bahahahahaha, not getting the plat then.

There's no way I'm getting plat on this. The amount of grinding it would take to catch every monster and max stats would kill me. I could finish several other games based on the grinding time alone

While I like it, as other people have said, it starts off slow. Middle to end is pretty good though

How about we swap? I'll do the Lightning Bolts for you and you do those for me? I'll even throw in the Butterfly Catching and Chocobo Baloons as well!

The worst part of maxing out your stats is easily the bazillion battles with Earth Eater to get enough Fortune Spheres to actually fill in all the Luck+4 nodes with all 7 characters. Goddamn.

How many composers worked on X's soundtrack ? And is Hamauzu the only one who's rearranging it ? If yes, then maybe the soundtrack will be more cohesive. It might actually be a good thing. We'll see.

Seda

I don't find FFX's soundtrack to be cohesive, and that's generally because I felt that Nakano and Hamauzu's work completely topped Uematsu's work on it. Lots of throwaway themes, too. Battle theme isn't too my liking either.

Heh, one reason why I like the FFX soundtrack is because it is varied.

Top Bottom