• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS Thread 3: Ridley's Believe It or Not!

I really couldn’t say, honestly. We’re past the point of there being any shoo-ins.

I’m not expecting most of the following characters, but at the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see any of them included:

Toad/Bowser Jr./Rosalina/Paper Mario
Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Ridley
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Chrom
Palutena
Takamaru (and pretty much any other retro first-party character)
Pac-Man

Anyone not on that list would come as a genuine surprise to me, including commonly discussed characters like Mii, Little Mac, Waluigi, Shulk, Isaac, and so on.
Gotcha. I'm kind of in a similar state. Like, I sat down one day and tried to think of what the roster could really be, but I just threw up my hands. Brawl's roster I got pretty close, but I can't even conceptualize what SSB4's final roster will be. We're just that far down the rabbit hole.

I was kind of thinking the E3 2013 reveal would have enlightened us a bit as to what kind of newcomers to expect, but I think it has almost left us more in the dark than before. I mean, Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer. Where the heck do you go from there?

His shtick?
Ridley? Ridley? Ridley. Ridley. Ridley. Ridley? Ridley. Ridley! Ridley. Ridley. etc.

doemaaan

I really couldn’t say, honestly. We’re past the point of there being any shoo-ins.

I’m not expecting most of the following characters, but at the same time I wouldn’t be shocked to see any of them included:

Toad/Bowser Jr./Rosalina/Paper Mario
Dixie Kong
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Ridley
Mewtwo
Zoroark
Chrom
Palutena
Takamaru (and pretty much any other retro first-party character)
Pac-Man

Anyone not on that list would come as a genuine surprise to me, including commonly discussed characters like Mii, Little Mac, Waluigi, Shulk, Isaac, and so on.

- Bowser jr could be an interesting character to design.
- I don't think Toad and Rosalina deserve to be characters. I'd prefer to see Daisy with a sports-like move set.
- Paper Mario is overdue.
- Right.. Instead of updating the Zelda characters already present (we'll see what happens with Zelda and Ganondorf) and giving Adult Link his SS look and Toon Link the LTTP2 look, along with some new respective moves, we need "more" Zelda characters in Smash. >_>
- Ridley is overdue.
- I'd rather see a new pokemon than Mewtwo or Lucario return. And a new pkm trainer would be pretty sweet too.
- I'd rather see new Fire Emblem characters return than Marth and whoever else again. Chrom and a female would be nice.
- and I still want Sora.

PsychBat!

Banned
- I'd rather see new Fire Emblem characters return than Marth and whoever else again. Chrom and a female would be nice.

Marth cannot be replaced. He will continue to be the face of the Fire Emblem franchise. Whether or not anyone wants him to return does not matter. He's too popular in the Fire Emblem series.

- and I still want Sora.

Doesn't deserve a spot. And I'm saying this as a guy who has played every game besides coded.

doemaaan

Well, cause I like him, he's got a slick move-set and he's been on enough Nintendo consoles to be allowed, no? I mean, why would people want G&W? R.O.B.? more clones like Wolf and Falco? I think Sora can justify his own unique move-set. I'm pretty sure he'd be a fun character to play as.

Marth cannot be replaced. He will continue to be the face of the Fire Emblem franchise. Whether or not anyone wants him to return does not matter. He's too popular in the Fire Emblem series.
Is he that special? I didn't know. Haven't played one FE game. So, he's basically the Mario of the series. Ok, then. Still wanna see more FE characters though, like Chrom. When Ike showed up in Brawl, I had a blast playing with him.

How would you guys feel about them adding a little more emphasis on elemental damage for balance's sake? Sort of like what Pokemon Trainer already does in-game, but expanded to cover a more broad territory. Not every move would possess an element - something neutral like Captain Falcon's jab would have pretty neutral damage, for example. The reason I'm asking, though, is that it could potentially breathe new life into some old characters - for example, Ganon's attacks belonging to a rarer shadow / "void" elemental property that could be effective against a large majority of the other elements. Captain Falcon would primary be flame-based, Samus could have some kind of "beam" category that would likewise extend to ROB, etc.

Kyzon

So what Waifu Emblem: Awakening character does everyone want to see? It could be anyone regardless of popularity. Just someone you personally want to have in. Beyond Lucinia of course

650px-Marc.jpg

Morgan is one of my favorites and has IMO some of the best lines. It also could be viable as an "avatar" character replacement.

Tharja or Tiki. Morgan would be cool if you're able to import your model from the games.

PsychBat!

Banned
Is he that special? I didn't know. Haven't played one FE game. So, he's basically the Mario of the series. Ok, then. Still wanna see more FE characters though, like Chrom. When Ike showed up in Brawl, I had a blast playing with him.

Decided not to reply to the reason why you want Sora in, I'd just explode on you and get myself banned.

I'm just gonna say that I recommend Awakening. The first Fire Emblem game I played and it is fantastic.

Keep it that way. You'll be glad you didn't

I'm a huge fan of the series and I've watched gameplay videos and cutscenes. I know what I'm expecting with coded. It adds nothing significant to the overall story.

At this point, I'm 100% confident that rumor is BS. You can hold me to that (this must be the third time I've said that). I don't think the leaker was intentionally lying, but he was definitely confused or misled.
What makes you think that, out of curiosity? There's nothing that actively discredits that post as far as I know, and guessing WFT still feels comparable to somebody guessing Mr. G&W before Melee came out. It just feels way too out there, and even Mega Man and Villager (whom Sakurai had flat out stated in Brawl's Iwata Asks wasn't appropriate for Smash) weren't necessarily safe choices to make a guess on. If he was being misled (like that Startropics U guy probably was, going by his really weird rants after he was banned), it's weird then he'd be given a half legit list of characters.

Unless I'm missing something the original post just states those six would be in the game and not necessarily at E3, and even if it did the way they've split up character reveals into separate character trailers on the official youtube channel suggests they may have been mixing and matching who to reveal right up until a couple weeks before E3.

I also know your stance on Little Mac, but I still personally think after Mewtwo he's the closest thing SSB4 has to a shoe-in. I mean, I'd put him vastly ahead of Takamaru as a retro-rep (if he even counts as one if you consider PO!! on the SNES and Wii) and the only thing remotely discrediting him is Sakurai potentially spoiling his home stage heaps early. Playable Mii's could also be a part of the customization aspect Sakurai's been super hush hush about so far.

Jaeger

I do not want to see any more Mario characters. Or Kirby. Or The Legend of Zelda (unless it's another villian). I would like to see;

Ridley
Dark Samus from Corruption (I'll accept a palette swap)
Mewtwo is a MUST (fuck Mega Evolutions btw)

Btw, what Pokemon do you wanna see in the Pokeballs? I havnt played a Pokemon since maybe the Game Boy Advance era, so I don't know much about the last several hundred, but I always enjoy seeing Legendaries new and old. And Snorlax :)

Village

I don't know anything about Lightning but I bet she's better than Sora.

No.

Yes I know sora is a useless protagonist because Riku has solved so many issues in that series he has basically impromptu main character at this point. However, no go no jesus go no.

Ryce

What makes you think that, out of curiosity? There's nothing that actively discredits that post as far as I know, and guessing WFT still feels comparable to somebody guessing Mr. G&W before Melee came out. It just feels way too out there, and even Mega Man and Villager (whom Sakurai had flat out stated in Brawl's Iwata Asks wasn't appropriate for Smash) weren't necessarily safe choices to make a guess on. If he was being misled (like that Startropics U guy probably was, going by his really weird rants after he was banned), it's weird then he'd be given a half legit list of characters.

Unless I'm missing something the original post just states those six would be in the game and not necessarily at E3, and even if it did the way they've split up character reveals into separate character trailers on the official youtube channel suggests they may have been mixing and matching who to reveal right up until a couple weeks before E3.

I also know your stance on Little Mac, but I still personally think after Mewtwo he's the closest thing SSB4 has to a shoe-in. I mean, I'd put him vastly ahead of Takamaru as a retro-rep (if he even counts as one if you consider PO!! on the SNES and Wii) and the only thing remotely discrediting him is Sakurai potentially spoiling his home stage heaps early. Playable Mii's could also be a part of the customization aspect Sakurai's been super hush hush about so far.
A few of us from other forums contacted Gematsu after E3, and I can say that the original leaker's credentials check out. He’s in an industry media position — that much I’m sure of. My concern is that the leaker never actually saw those characters firsthand. He was just relaying what he heard to Gematsu, and there are half a dozen scenarios where he could have either been given misinformation or confused what he actually saw/heard with something else. The rumor also specifically stated that all six characters would be announced at E3, which obviously didn’t happen.

I don’t mean to ramble, but I suppose what I’m trying to say is that people shouldn’t take the rumor at face value just because half of it turned out to be true. It’s not so bad at GAF, but at other forums there are people who are acting like Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii have practically been confirmed. It’s way too early for that kind of confidence.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Japan vs. Little Mac

Poor Mac, he is always the underdog.

Disney lets anything be in anything as long as they make money.

Have you seen disney in the past decade,

Its nintendo that is the problem

Ah yes, that pesky "must have originated from a video game" rule.

EDIT:
Not that Sora doesn't qualify. I just think that Disney might want to push their other assets.

Kjellson

No.

Yes I know sora is a useless protagonist because Riku has solved so many issues in that series he has basically impromptu main character at this point. However, no go no jesus go no.
Well, I only played the first KH game and it was a long time ago and I didn't get past the Riku boss in that Beauty and the Beast level that wasn't really like Beauty and the Beast at all. So is Riku still in and did he turn into a good guy now?

Village

Ah yes, that pesky "must have originated from a video game" rule.

EDIT:
Not that Sora doesn't qualify. I just think that Disney might want to push their other assets.

Disney might not even care.
They got that block buster and Disney infinity money. Disney chilled the frack out the last decade.

Well, I only played the first KH game and it was a long time ago and I didn't get past the Riku boss in that Beauty and the Beast level that wasn't really like Beauty and the Beast at all. So is Riku still in and did he turn into a good guy now?

From the end of KH1 to .. well now riku is the fix the story guy, every time the plot needs solving, riku. They acknowledge it in DDD. And in BBS you find out that
Riku was supposed to the keyblade master and sora got the keyblade basically on accident
That's when riku being more reliable than sora in the keyblade department makes a heck of a lot more sense. But whatever sora's talent is, we will find out in KH3

A few of us from other forums contacted Gematsu after E3, and I can say that the original leaker's credentials check out. He’s in an industry media position — that much I’m sure of. My concern is that the leaker never actually saw those characters firsthand. He was just relaying what he heard to Gematsu, and there are half a dozen scenarios where he could have either been given misinformation or confused what he actually saw/heard with something else. The rumor also specifically stated that all six characters would be announced at E3, which obviously didn’t happen.

I don’t mean to ramble, but I suppose what I’m trying to say is that people shouldn’t take the rumor at face value just because half of it turned out to be true. It’s not so bad at GAF, but at other forums there are people who are acting like Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Mii have practically been confirmed. It’s way too early for that kind of confidence.

Oh just say Smashboards, we all know that's who you're talking about.

Ah right, wasn't aware of that part. Still, I think given how the character trailers have been handled and how WFT's reveal was completely separate from Villagers/Mega's, while Mega Man's reveal is cut into his own trailer on the youtube page could possibly mean they were juggling which characters to reveal at E3 and which ones to hold off for a later date.

Agreed that it shouldn't be taken as gospel since it was half wrong, but besides maybe Mii (more because I just find them boring than anything else), I personally wouldn't bet against Mac or Pac-Man. Especially given Sakurai's response to the latter in that IGN interview.

I vaguely remember one of the few legit Brawl leakers who talked about Wolf/Falco around Novermber '07 seemed surprised when it turned out the final character count was 35/39 and no Mewtwo, so there's always scenarios where even if they've got legit sources they're still only getting a partial pictures of things.

How would you guys feel about them adding a little more emphasis on elemental damage for balance's sake? Sort of like what Pokemon Trainer already does in-game, but expanded to cover a more broad territory. Not every move would possess an element - something neutral like Captain Falcon's jab would have pretty neutral damage, for example. The reason I'm asking, though, is that it could potentially breathe new life into some old characters - for example, Ganon's attacks belonging to a rarer shadow / "void" elemental property that could be effective against a large majority of the other elements. Captain Falcon would primary be flame-based, Samus could have some kind of "beam" category that would likewise extend to ROB, etc.

Would make the game even harder to balance and just add an extra layer of dumb busy work for people to learn. Not a good meaningful change at all.

If you want to "breathe new life" into old characters, give them better move sets. Give them a move that actually does something new rather than just doing more damage against a character.

Someone want to point me to or explain this leaker stuff?

Long story short: Somebody stated that 6 newcomers would be revealed during E3 - Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Mii and Little Mac.
Since the first 3 actually had been revealed, and most of us thought that it couldn't be just coincidence to be spot on with Villager and WFT, it's been pretty universally accepted to be true, even though the other 3 didn't get revealed at E3 (the explanation being that the leaker might've heard of those 6 but Nintendo changed their reveal schedule or something).

Okay, since we're talking about potential characters and how they'd play, I'm going to geek out and post one of my fan ideas:

GANONDORF
(As in, a new character. They can make Black Shadow the heavyweight Captain Falcon clone...)

alS5K6B.png

The gameplay theme is still, appropriately enough, power. Thus, Ganondorf is primarily a slow, heavyweight powerhouse. However, these sorts of characters tend to ultimately not be viable. This design is an attempt to make this gameplay style enjoyable but competitive.

Ganondorf has his trusty heavy sword, but it does not define his play style like it would, say, Ike. Thinking of Ganondorf as a "dark wizard" opens the door for some unique attacks and mechanics to make his play style viable. A few of his normals or strings involve a sword slash, but others might include clouds of darkness, aura bursts, etc. However, the sword moves are important to note because of the first of his specials.

Up Special: Lightning Strike

Ganondorf raises his sword and after a short warmup a Thunder-esque bolt of lightning will charge it. The next normal Gandondorf performs with his sword will be super-charged, dealing extra damage and knock-back. It will even send out a skyward strike-esque ranged blast.

Again, this emphasizes devastating, singular attacks.

"But that's such a waste since he'll never land those hits anyway!"

Then check out these next two specials.

Down Special: Curse

Ganondorf charges a ball of dark energy and fires it towards the ground. When it hits, it expands across the floor at a radius proportional to the amount of time spent charging the attack. Enemies that are standing within its field are cursed and cannot block. Perfect for setting up powerful strikes and smashes! (Although it will dissipate after a while...)

NOTE: This could use a better reference to the source material. Gameplay came first, and then I just looked for the closest Zelda-related representation. Technically speaking, in the games this debuff prevents Link from attacking, not blocking. (Although, would it be too powerful to have this field prevent attacks as well...?)

Side Special: Dead Man's Volley

Ganondorf's classic attack. He throws an energy ball forward that will deal damage and, more importantly, stun the player for a very short duration several times over the course of the debuff. Use these openings to your advantage and hit your opponent with your best shot!

(Of course, opponents can attack the ball and send it back towards Ganondorf, so be on your toes...!)

And for the final move:

Neutral Special: Twilight Vortex

Ganondorf summons a portal to the Twilight Realm that will suck in nearby players. (This includes Ganondorf himself...!) Opponents that touch the center of the vortex will be dealt sustained damage for as long as they remain there. Ganondorf can also charge the move to increase the vortex's gravitational strength and radius, and he can alter its summoned position with the control stick while he charges.

This is what cements Gandondorf's moveset. Move players into your Curse fields to follow up with smash attacks and Lightning Strikes. Use it to force your opponents to run out of its radius (and thus moving instead of blocking). Have it yank back more mobile targets that would otherwise escape your grasp. Use it to screw up your enemies' recoveries. Change the timing and pace of battle by manipulating spatial movement in unexpected ways. Increase Ganondorf's own mobility and use it as a gap closer.

Note, this is also Ganondorf's third jump. (Thought I missed that with Lightning Strike, eh?) Create a vortex just above or ahead of Ganondorf to shoot him in that direction.

Anyway, that's it. Sorry, gotta vent that hype somewhere...

qq more

So what Waifu Emblem: Awakening character does everyone want to see? It could be anyone regardless of popularity. Just someone you personally want to have in. Beyond Lucinia of course

650px-Marc.jpg

Morgan is one of my favorites and has IMO some of the best lines. It also could be viable as an "avatar" character replacement.
none because waifu emblem is the dumbest name

Okay, since we're talking about potential characters and how they'd play, I'm going to geek out and post one of my fan ideas:

GANONDORF
(As in, a new character. They can make Black Shadow the heavyweight Captain Falcon clone...)

The gameplay theme is still, appropriately enough, power. Thus, Ganondorf is primarily a slow, heavyweight powerhouse. However, these sorts of characters tend to ultimately not be viable. This design is an attempt to make this gameplay style enjoyable but competitive.

Ganondorf has his trusty heavy sword, but it does not define his play style like it would, say, Ike. Thinking of Ganondorf as a "dark wizard" opens the door for some unique attacks and mechanics to make his play style viable. A few of his normals or strings involve a sword slash, but others might include clouds of darkness, aura bursts, and the like. However, the sword moves are important to note because of the first of his specials.

Up Special: Lightning Strike

Ganondorf raises his sword and after a short warmup a Thunder-esque bolt of lightning will charge it. The next normal Gandondorf performs with his sword will be super-charged, dealing extra damage and knock-back. It will even send out a skyward strike-esque ranged blast.

Again, this emphasizes devastating, singular attacks.

"But that's such a waste since he'll never land those hits anyway!"

Then check out these next two specials.

Down Special: Curse

Ganondorf charges a ball of dark energy and fires it towards the ground. When it hits, it expands across the floor at a radius proportional to the amount of time spent charging the attack. Enemies that are standing within its field are cursed and cannot block. Perfect for setting up powerful strikes and smashes! (Although it will dissipate after a while...)

NOTE: This could use a better reference to the source material. Gameplay came first, and then I just looked for the closest Zelda-related representation. Technically speaking, in the games this debuff prevents Link from attacking, not blocking. (Although, would it be too much to have this field prevent attacks as well...?)

Side Special: Dead Man's Volley

Ganondorf's classic attack. He throws an energy ball forward that will deal damage and, more importantly, stun the player for a very short duration several times over the course of the debuff. Use these openings to your advantage and hit your opponent with your best shot!

(Of course, opponents can attack the ball and send it back towards Ganondorf, so be on your toes...!)

And for the final move:

Neutral Special: Twilight Vortex

Ganondorf summons a portal to the Twilight Realm that will suck in nearby players. (This includes Ganondorf himself...!) Opponents that touch the center of the vortex will be dealt sustained damage for as long as they remain there. Ganondorf can also charge the move to increase the vortex's gravitational strength and radius, and he can alter its summoned position with the control stick while he charges.

This is what cements Gandondorf's moveset. Move players into your Curse fields to follow up with smash attacks and Lightning Strikes. Use it to force your opponents to move out of its radius (and thus not block). Have it yank back more mobile targets that would otherwise escape your grasp. Use it to screw up your enemies' recoveries. Change the timing and pace of battle by manipulating spatial movement in unexpected ways. Increase Ganondorf's own mobility and use it as a gap closer.

Note, this is also Ganondorf's third jump. (Thought I missed that with Lightning Strike, eh?) Create a vortex just above or ahead of Ganondorf to shoot him in that direction.

Anyway, that's it. Sorry, gotta vent that hype somewhere...
I like the idea for his down and side specials, but his choke-holder move Brawl introduced should definitely stay and I think the twilight vortex is a bit of an obscure thing to reference for him. Wasn't most of that kinda stuff more Zant's doing in TP anyway? It just doesn't seem very indicative of Ganondorf overall.

Also playing more Project M with him, I think for his normal's you could pretty effectively change a lot of Ganondorf's moves to be him using his huge sword while still having the same exact stats and hitboxes. Stuff like him raising his boot for a few seconds and then dropping it could easily just be him raising his sword and doing the same thing. Could be a good compromise between keeping fans of his Melee incarnation happy while also appeasing people who want him to better represent his games.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Ephraim or Sigurd and Hector would fill out the weapons triangle nicely.

The triangle being completed in Smash would be neat.

Ephraim or Sigurd? Ephraim all the way. I just based that choice off of hair color alone. We don't need anymore blue hairs. Plus, Sacred Stones is fun.

Top Bottom