• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote play is the most next gen feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Last night had a bit of a get together at my place maybe 20ish people. I had just gotten my ps4 so a few people asked questions about it/XB1.

Someone asked about remote play/vita, so I busted it out showed people.

Noone really gave a fuck about the graphics beyond "whoa looks nice", but remote play? Blew peoples fucking minds. "You mean when my gf is watching singing show crap I can keep playing my games on this thing? holy shit". "So I can play madden on this while the game is on TV?!?" "So I can play this at work during downtime instead of crappy phone games". The only thing that got even a fraction of this response was audio coming from the controller. "So I won't have to play on mute or risk waking up the kid?!" etc.

Fuck the camera gimmicks of both companies.
Fuck games that run sub 1080p/su
Fuck Titanfall and other games that are cross platform
Fuck plugging in my cable box to a game console to get shitty overlays/side bars

These are all guys and girls in their early/mid 20's who haven't owned a portable system since pokemon blue/red. People who buy basically one shooter/one sports game/one random game a year. COD/Madden/GTA or Halo/NBA2k/Assassins creed etc.

Sony needs to release that ps4/vita bundle ASAP, and get cracking on a vita revision that is stripped down/better ergonomics and built around just remote play, fuck it even if it can't play vita games.

Remote play can be how Sony steals the middle ground console buyers that are much more common than people are willing to admit.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yeah we've been doing it on Wii U for a year. Welcome to Earth.
We've been doing it on the PS3 for 7 years. Welcome to Mars.

Yes I know the WiiU implementation is much better but let's not kid ourselves. Sony were always going to expand upon Remote Play regardless of what Nintendo did.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing the story, I guess it's different to the Wii U in that Remote Play is useful for the games that 'casual gamers' like.

Can't wait to try mine out!

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
God damn, Brian Altano. This is Next-Gen we're talking about, b.

image.php

Derrick01

Banned
It's fairly pointless for me since I have total control over my TV, plus my connection kind of sucks. I tried it with Knack and it didn't hold a stable connection for long and even when it did there was noticeable delay in actions.

It can be done with next gen games now though.

Anustart

I had a form of remote play going back in the ps2 games, pick up your game people.

Okay, mine's cheating, but I'd hook my ps2 up to my car stereo / 7" display and play metal gear solid 2 in my car on my lunch break.

Skyzard

Banned
I think so too. But I doubt most people will be willing to consider it until excitement for the actual consoles themselves dies down a bit - which is completely fair given how awesome new consoles usually are and how long we wait/how much we pay etc.

Once hype for the consoles dies down a bit I hope Sony really start pushing the Vita to keep people interested in gaming. Convenience makes it more likely people will play and carry on buying games.

They need to inform people MUCH BETTER than that damn graph of the optimal ways to set it up though. PS4 connected to your router via cable. Powerline adapters if that isn't possible. Poor setups will kill this. People will basically only get this once they see it for themselves, word of mouth needs to be good. See it to believe/get it sort of thing. Otherwise you just think, err I have a TV not spending more.

An official grip for it so it's more comfortable at home (and they can actually advertise it) wouldn't hurt either. Analogue triggers mod please.

It probably looks better on Vita than TV for some people as well due to OLED.

And we are done.

Unless you care about games other than Nintendo first party, then it's pretty much just getting started. I know multiplatform games have been doing a nice job on WiiU so far, but the next-gen powerful consoles are here and multiplatform titles will start to differentiate more (and will be the focus).

daviyoung

Banned
"You mean when my gf is watching singing show crap I can keep playing my games on this thing? holy shit". "So I can play madden on this while the game is on TV?!?" "So I can play this at work during downtime instead of crappy phone games". The only thing that got even a fraction of this response was audio coming from the controller. "So I won't have to play on mute or risk waking up the kid?!" etc.

Do you live in an advert, OP?

LuchaShaq

Banned

WiiU has a range of 20 feet and doesn't go through most walls.

Vita works 2 stories up 20 feet over at my place, and works 45 minutes away at work.

PS4 will actually have more than 5 games worth playing this decade.

It's not even close to the same thing.

Brrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaap Brap

Vita works 2 stories up 20 feet over at my place, and works 45 minutes away at work.

Owned.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This absolutely blows away the WiiU pad. It works flawlessly and anywhere in the world with a decent connection.

It really is all that and you have proper next gen games on the Vita compared to the first posts comparison which isn't even worth acknowledging.

I beat half of Contrast on the Vita and have played almost every game on it. It's great.

greg400

Banned

Vita and PS4 cost twice the amount of Wii U ($600 to $300 minus included games) and meanwhile the Vita has a worse response time and requires a connection to a router.

Brap brap.

Chesskid1

Banned
i have no clue why people want the record the last 15 minutes of gameplay thing.

a complete waste of consoles' resources IMO, and i bet that takes quite a bit of processing power.

beast786

Maybe you can show me ,how I can play wiiu off-tv at work even when my wiiu is at home?

Two big problem that made wiiu useless for me is it's extremely limited range and games with asymmetric interplay like zombie u didn't have off tv function

Edit: don't get me wrong, even it's useless at my home setting, I still think its awesome

We've been doing it on the PS3 for 7 years. Welcome to Mars.

Yes I know the WiiU implementation is much better but let's not kid ourselves. Sony were always going to expand upon Remote Play regardless of what Nintendo did.

welcome to connectivity

On Topic off tv play is really great. If you can have access to it regardless of what platform you will see the added value.

I play most of my Wii U games at least 50 % Off TV.

LiquidMetal14

i have no clue why people want the record the last 15 minutes of gameplay thing.

a complete waste of consoles' resources IMO, and i bet that takes quite a bit of processing power.

It's actually done in the BG by a separate processor.

Damn. I should've checked the next gen rules.

It's cool to be able to leave my PS4 in it's place and access it anywhere in the world. Not that taking your console with you is wrong.

dyergram

I agree it was a major swing in my decision to go with the ps4 hopefully it works better for me than wiiu which can be a bit finicky in my experience.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Vita and PS4 cost twice the amount of Wii U ($600 to $300 minus included games) and meanwhile the Vita has a worse response time and requires a connection to a router.

Brap brap.

When you do it from home my vita is as fast or faster than my tv and does not require connection to the router.

Only needs wifi when you're doing it far away like driving away away.

Also tons of wiiU games aren't supported, and all ps4 non camera required games use remote play.

It's like comparing apples and mold covered apple flavored mcD's pies.

Blades64

Banned

So much wrong with this post...

When you do it from home my vita is as fast or faster than my tv and does not require connection to the router.

Only needs wifi when you're doing it far away like driving away away.

i wouldnt do it over wifi. i dont think it will be without lag. however at home yeah it should be good if you have all the devices for it.

I happen to own a vita and I will get PS4 someday so I will definately do it. at the moment I am enjoying the hell out of Off tv play.

I know its all subjective but WiiU already has more than 5 games worth playing

Raist

Banned

well... some of them seemed to be excited to play the new Madden so... yeah.

Brap brap.

Worse response time? You've measured?
And no, it doesn't require a router. Direct connection (just like the WiiU pad) is possible too on top of local network via a router and via internet.

rpmurphy

You know it's a next-gen console war when people fight over which system does a feature slightly better, who did it first, and other such mundane points where various owners of each respective system are enjoying use of the feature for their own use case.

Abounder

Banned
Remote play is great but unfortunately sounds like it won't be appreciated enough if the Wii U and Nvidia Shield are of any indication. Convincing people to shell out $100+ for a non-phone/tablet handheld device like the Vita is going to be a challenge

Hoo-doo

Banned
when sony does it, it's awesome. but if nintendo does it, it's crap. lol

Well, in case of the Wii-U it comes at the expense of powerful hardware, and it's pretty much the only notable feature about the entire device.

On the PS4, it's just a bonus. Don't want to use it? You don't have to, whatevs. Device is still awesome without it and it comes as no added cost to the consumer if you're not interested in the feature.

lol51

when sony does it, it's awesome. but if nintendo does it, it's crap. lol

Huh? Not all games do remote play on WiiU. All PS4 game are remote play (unless they use accessories skylanders/move/camera). Also the range on WiiU in my apartment is like 6-7 feet of open air. There was a video of a guy playing resogun on a mobile hotspot 10 miles away from his PS4.

LiquidMetal14

You know it's a next-gen console war when people fight over which system does a feature slightly better, who did it first, and other such mundane points where various owners of each respective system are enjoying use of the feature for their own use case.

Blame the first post for that. A post which has been both lauded and critiqued.

I know how remote play works first hand and it's the real deal.

Huh? Not all games do remote play on WiiU. All PS4 game are remote play (unless they use accessories skylanders/move/camera). Also the range on WiiU in my apartment is like 6-7 feet of open air.

I was told Skylanders works as long as you have that USB thing plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom