• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote play is the most next gen feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

greg400

Banned
When you do it from home my vita is as fast or faster than my tv and does not require connection to the router.

Only needs wifi when you're doing it far away like driving away away.

Also tons of wiiU games aren't supported, and all ps4 non camera required games use remote play.

It's like comparing apples and mold covered apple flavored mcD's pies.
Guess that's why Diablo 3 isn't supported? They probably really needed that camera functionality amirite guys

Well considering you're paying almost more than twice the price for a similar feature I hope that analogy would hold some ground but it doesn't.

Yanikun

Banned
Not convinced at all. This is a neat addition, a temporary wow factor and a long-term convenience, but that's as far as it goes. The GamePad does much more than just remote play, so that convinced me, but just remote play is not enough to warrant a next gen.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Guess that's why Diablo 3 isn't supported? They probably really needed that camera functionality amirite guys

Well considering you're paying almost more than twice the price for a similar feature I hope that analogy would hold some ground but it doesn't.

Diablo 3 is supported.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Spoken like the truly uninformed. Not only will every game practically work but it takes about a day 1 code it in going by almost every bit of info we've had on the dev front.

And yes, Diablo 3 will support remote play on Playstation 4.

I love the feature! The bundle is needed! I was talking toy husband last night and told him that if the Persona announcement this morning (whatever it is) is say Persona 5, they need to implement this feature. I want to play it on the TV because this way, he can also watch the story with me because he won't play the game. But also, if he wants to play another system, I don't have to shut it off. Fans all know how addictive Persona is.

Yeah we've been doing it on Wii U for a year. Welcome to Earth.
Last week on the way back home from the bar, I tethered my Vita to my phone's connection and played Assassin's Creed 4 on the way home in the cab.
The Wii U is incapable of doing this from that distance, or on the move. Shit, it's barely capable of keeping a connection 10 feet away. Nice try though.

Is it really a "feature" if you need to buy a separate $200 device to do it, though?
I would argue that it's not for most people.

Maybe you can show me ,how I can play wiiu off-tv at work even when my wiiu is at home?

Two big problem that made wiiu useless for me is it's extremely limited range and games with asymmetric interplay like zombie u didn't have off tv function

Edit: don't get me wrong, even it's useless at my home setting, I still think its awesome

I believe you have a Wii-U as much as I believe Sirhan Sirhan killed RFK on his own.

When you do it from home my vita is as fast or faster than my tv and does not require connection to the router.

Only needs wifi when you're doing it far away like driving away away.

Also tons of wiiU games aren't supported, and all ps4 non camera required games use remote play.

It's like comparing apples and mold covered apple flavored mcD's pies.

what are those tons of wiiu games. out of the important wiiu releases lego city and zombi u
are the only ones i can think of.

you dont have to shit on the other console that does the same thing to make yours look better.

off tv play is a good thing on PS4 or WiiU thats a fact, end of story

jgmo870

Banned

20131112_diablo_3_vita_remote_play.jpg

But seriously, your arguments are inane.

Absolutely, it is THE next gen feature. Its mind blowing how awesome it is and will only get better. Once they get suspend working with standby oh boy !

greg400

Banned
Spoken like the truly uninformed. Not only will every game practically work but it takes about a day 1 code it in going by almost every bit of info we've had on the dev front.

And yes, Diablo 3 will support remote play on Playstation 4.
You're right, they changed their stance. But enjoy using l2 and r2 on the touchpad. I'm sure it's a great experience bro. Or clicking those sticks in.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Diablo 3 will work with remote play, it's just that blizzard isn't making a custom control scheme for it and it will just use the default ps4 to vita swap.

You should read follow up articles that state when previous shit was wrong if you are going to read click hungry sites.

Skyzard

Banned
We don't need to really go into depth comparing the differences between Wii U off-tv play and remote play with a PS4 and Vita any more do we? Not even about the feature itself, just the games that would be available...night and day guys, come on. I've never slagged WiiU off-tv play, the opposite in fact.

Absolutely, it is THE next gen feature. Its mind blowing how awesome it is and will only get better. Once they get suspend working with standby oh boy !

This needs to happen asap. Painful that it's not there at launch.

GYNGA

Long range
Almost all games supported
Vita has its own native games
Better screen (at least OLED one)

How come it doesn't hold the ground? Wii U gamepad is awesome but you get what you pay for.

LiquidMetal14

You're right, they changed their stance. But enjoy using l2 and r2 on the touchpad. I'm sure it's a great experience bro.

That's the counter argument? I have used the L3/R3/L2/R2 and it works. Of course having actual triggers would be ideal but I definitely get by AND most devs remap buttons specifically for remote play.

Case in point, Need for Speed Rivals. When playing with the DS4, L2/R2 is throttle/break. On Vita it automatically switches to L1/R1. It's not just simple remapping when devs have the tools there to cater to Vita via remote play. BF4 even has Vita options in the menu.

So there goes your point.

Tobor

Diablo 3 is supported. Nice try.

Dukey

Banned
My 55 inch TV was purchased for a reason. For portable gaming I'll play the guaranteed lag free, no online-required, games of the 3DSXL.

So much wrong with this post...

Agreed. This is quickly turning into a console war rally call subject.

The main fact some people may be ignoring is that the Wii U system revolves around remote play. The PS4 does not. It doesn't matter what is said on here because the casuals will simply see Nintendo's offering to remote play a much more affordable and realistic offering than Sony. Also saying the Wii U only had 5 games to this point worth buying is absolutely ridiculous. I've bought five games in the past two months alone for the system. And just for the record, I've used the gamepad 40ft away from the TV before. It just depends the home.

The fanboy cynicism aside, the PS4 does a great job with the Vita remote play as well. I still think that it will be an underused feature for the console as it's just too expensive to warrant that. I feel like VitaTV will be a much better thing to sell as it's cheaper and remotely plays to other TVs around the home (possibly computer monitors too?).

To me, I'm way more interested in what Gaikai can bring to the table but I'm glad Sony owners can see how awesome off-screen play really is.

The remote play hype will die in a few months, this is coming from a Wii U owner.

It's nice to have such a cool feature, but I don't remember the last time I played MH3U through Off TV Play. The novelty wears off really quick.

I want my console gaming on a big ass 1080p screen.

It really is a great feature. Told my non gaf gaming nerd colleagues about remote play.

Ten minutes later they've told there missus they want one for Christmas

LiquidMetal14

My 55 inch TV was purchased for a reason. For portable gaming I'll play the guaranteed lag free, no online-required, games of the 3DSXL.

I don't think this has anything to do with the TC. Enjoy your 3DSXL though.

The remote play hype will die in a few months, this is coming from a Wii U owner.

It's nice to have such a cool feature, but I don't remember the last time I played MH3U through Off TV Play. The novelty wears off really quick.

I want my console gaming on a big ass 1080p screen.

The biggest difference is the convenience afforded by being able to play just about every game from not just your home but anywhere in the world. That convenience afforded on top of the other benefits on PS4 kind of speak for themselves.

Petrie

Banned
It's serviceable, but the 4 missing buttons leave me disappointed. Also games not mentioning the remap, for instance Warframe doesn't seem to let you know it remaps the triggers and sword swipe.

Hopefully it's popular enough that developers support it better.

rouken

Well, in case of the Wii-U it comes at the expense of powerful hardware, and it's pretty much the only notable feature about the entire device.

On the PS4, it's just a bonus. Don't want to use it? You don't have to, whatevs. Device is still awesome without it and it comes as no added cost to the consumer if you're not interested in the feature.

But why not have the appreciation for both? I agree that remote play is awesome and I applaud both Nintendo and Sony for making strives in making it a worthwhile feature.

What I don't get is people praising Sony for it and ignoring Nintendo's effort to make it a huge feature of a gaming console one year ago.

Skyzard

Banned
I still think the sharing function is the best. Live streaming is soooo next gen.

It's great too, for sure, close second for me but I'd get so much use out of remote play. Love playing in bed and portable gaming.

Standby is a very awesome feature too, needs to come quick.

Rocky

Banned
Is it really a "feature" if you need to buy a separate $200 device to do it, though?
I would argue that it's not for most people.

Vita sold about 1.5mil or so in NA so far. I'd bet that a good chunk of the million + PS4 buyers already owned a Vita. I know I've had my Vita since it launched and have enjoyed many great games on it. So yeah, it is a feature. And let's not forget, that it has its own library of games and its own features, unlike the gamepad.

LiquidMetal14

Yeah, and none of the games on PS4 support that feature unless you spend an extra $200 on a Vita...

I don't think anyone will argue with this point but it's optional and many of us already own a VIta.

That does little to discredit how great the feature is. My friends 500 dollar iphone is also used as a companion so most expensive accessory ever?

But why not have the appreciation for both?

You're in a thread about the remote play feature on PS4 which works with just about every game. If this was a catch all thread then I think the TC would have stated that.

To be fair, remote play is pretty shit if you don't have the PS4 connected via Ethernet. At least in my experience.

Maybe I need to do some more tweaking because I haven't had much luck.

Direct connection is definitely recommended.

To be fair, remote play is pretty shit if you don't have the PS4 connected via Ethernet. At least in my experience.

Maybe I need to do some more tweaking because I haven't had much luck.

GameSeeker

Remote play is an excellent feature and adds significantly to the next-gen consoles.

Both the PS4 and Wii U are winners here.

The more interesting thing is that the Xbone doesn't have the feature, instead deciding to go the TV IN and Kinect route. Time will tell if Microsoft made a bad or good decision.

Hoo-doo

Banned
But why not have the appreciation for both? I agree that remote play is awesome and I applaud both Nintendo and Sony for making strives in making it a worthwhile feature.

What I don't get is people praising Sony for it and ignoring Nintendo's effort to make it a huge feature of a gaming console one year ago.

Oh come on, both features are great and have their own pros and cons. Nobody is "ignoring" Nintendo's efforts, but it's clearly a lot more limited in scope, even though perhaps still a superior experience overall.

Mr. Altano quickly turned this thread into a big ol' bickerfest though.

It took me a bit getting remote play to work, but now that it does, it's pretty amazing. I had Assassins Creed: Black Flag running at work, there was little or no lag.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Agreed. This is quickly turning into a console war rally call subject.

The main fact some people may be ignoring is that the Wii U system revolves around remote play. The PS4 does not. .

This is patently insane considering the range of the tablet/vita when using direct connect, and the fact that the wiiU doesn't do wifi remote play.

That's like saying the PS4 is based around cds since it is going to maybe get an audio cd patch/update.

Thorgi

i have no clue why people want the record the last 15 minutes of gameplay thing.

a complete waste of consoles' resources IMO, and i bet that takes quite a bit of processing power.

They have a dedicated processor for the recording feature.

greg400

Banned
Long range
Almost all games supported
Vita has its own native games
Better screen (at least OLED one)

How come it doesn't hold the ground? Wii U gamepad is awesome but you get what you pay for.
Lower latency
Comes with the system (greater likelihood of asymmetric gameplay integration)
Doesn't cost $200 extra on top of a $400 console
Doesn't require a router or connection
Has all buttons necessary available.

How about moving those goalposts a little more further down the road.
Might save you on a few salty replies.
Who's moving goalposts? That Diablo comment was only one part of my post.

That's the counter argument? I have used the L3/R3/L2/R2 and it works. Of course having actual triggers would be ideal but I definitely get by AND most devs remap buttons specifically for remote play.

Case in point, Need for Speed Rivals. When playing with the DS4, L2/R2 is throttle/break. On Vita it automatically switches to L1/R1. It's not just simple remapping when devs have the tools there to cater to Vita via remote play. BF4 even has Vita options in the menu.

So there goes your point.
Welp lets just hope that no game ever needs to use these buttons together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom