• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote play is the most next gen feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skyzard

Banned
What's the point if I can put the funds into a Maxwell next year instead? Or why can't I just put the money into the Shield right now to go with my 770 instead since the shield is more capable than a Vita? Not that I would do it since I have a 3DS already because it has actual good games I can't get on the home console space or on Vita for way cheaper. How's remote play even something to brag about? lol

Shield is very limited with what it works with at the moment. Only problem really apart from size [and needing a compatible PC/router].

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny because most people wrote off the Wii U for doing almost the same thing... In any case I agree it's awesome, wish they all had the same capabilities for it.

Petrie

Banned
It's funny because most people wrote off the Wii U for doing almost the same thing... In any case I agree it's awesome, wish they all had the same capabilities for it.

They really aren't the same though. I'll never use my Vita for remote play in my house, so the WiiU feature is useless to me.

Skyzard

Banned

They likely wrote off the wii u for other reasons. A bonus feature like off-tv just wasn't enough to convince them I think, people express it in different ways.

also as mentioned above my post

At all? Seriously?
Does the Wii U gamepad connect to the Wii U over a local WiFi network, allowing play from anywhere in the home? Does the Wii U gamepad connect to the Wii U over an internet connection, allowing play away from home? Does the Wii U gamepad allow off-screen play on all Wii U titles?

These features are the context of my comment. The poster who said "Wii U does it better" didn't give any context or qualification and you didn't take issue with him, why is that?

The vita sucks in comparison to the Gamepad as for controls and screen size, that is all I am going to say, I don't care if I can play in Tokyo Japan with the Vita and the PS4 in USA, I don't like its controls.

Lol, all of a sudden off tv is the greatest thing on earth.

jonno394

Its a shame that vita will probably get even less games now due to remote play "why bother with a Vita version, they can just stream it from their PS4"

dahuman

Neo Member
Shield is very limited with what it works with at the moment. Only problem really apart from size.

Sure works with hell of a lot more games than the Vita or via Remote Play :p

They even have a bundle with stores right now so you can get it for 100 USD cheaper with 3 games bundled with 770-Titan class cards. http://www.geforce.com/get-the-ultimate-bundle

I pretty much just don't get why remote play makes the PS4 a truly revolutionary system like it's actually a big deal per the OP, and reading some of the back and fourth arguing of the Wii U and PS4 is like what?

Also, compatible PC, you mean like you need a PS4 and Vita just like you need a 650+ card with Shield, come on now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Nvidia did it before Sony too! :p

LIaTol6.jpg

Does the Wii U gamepad connect to the Wii U over a local WiFi network, allowing play from anywhere in the home? Does the Wii U gamepad connect to the Wii U over an internet connection, allowing play away from home? Does the Wii U gamepad allow off-screen play on all Wii U titles?

These features are the context of my comment. The poster who said "Wii U does it better" didn't give any context or qualification and you didn't take issue with him, why is that?

Wii U's solution has less latency and all necessary inputs.

I still don't see the direct comparison when relating it to on the go remote play/ off TV functionality.

I don't have to carry my PS4 to work to use it's remote play feature. Where as with the WiiU last time I checked you have to basically be within eye sight of it and have no walls/barriers in its way.

Both are great uses of the off TV feature but I feel like remote play via the Vita is more practical for taking your console games with you out of the house/room.

I completely agree with everything you said there. Well put. I think the PS4 remote play is superior in that regard.

For me personally, I haven't owned a handheld since the original GBA way back when and have no intention of gaming outside of my home anymore. Gaikai and what Sony is doing is great for the Vita because this will undoubtedly sell some units which they have struggling to do as of late.

I'm personally rooting for the VitaTV to come Stateside so I can stream to another TV as I just can't justify the purchase of a Vita in my circumstance.

Sony has had wireless Remote Play since the PSP. Nintendo was still flirting with link cables at the time.

Also, I believe Nintendo themselves refers to our more as "off-screen play" than actual "remote play". The difference is that with a PSP/Vita, you can actually control and operate the console wirelessly without having to play a game. In addition to that, you don't even have to be in the same building to be able to use Remote Play. Once again, it goes back to the "remote" emphasis. Nintendo only offers off-screen play, and only through direct connection. So no, the WiiU and PS4/Vita are not equals.

Correct. Wii U is off-screen and PS4 is remote play. I also never said they were equals. This whole idea is about having the ability to take console gameplay off the TV and onto another device.

Explain the first post, and everything else after it.

First post is what first posts on NeoGAF usually are, puns or jokes. Everything else are people stating that the first post was funny, followed by Nintendo shouldn't even be spoken about in this topic, to the stereotypical childish console wars commonly found on GameFAQs. My post only said that it is fair for Nintendo to be included in this conversation as both systems have similar awesome features.

You salty as hell, bro.

At the end of the day, it's irrelevant which console did it first; it's all about expanding on feature sets, and Remote Play for Vita does that, which makes it much better than the WiiU solution...

Salty? Seriously, this new "umad" thing is tiring. Try to be civil please.

I agree that the Vita is a better solution for those going out of the home. I never said otherwise. I'm simply pointing out the Nintendo is included in this conversation and is not shitting up anything. How hard is that for anyone to understand?

Shield is very limited with what it works with at the moment. Only problem really apart from size [and needing a compatible PC].

Really? I was considering picking one up next month to stream to my TV. I guess I can move my PC but I'd rather not... Blegh.

The vita sucks in comparison to the Gamepad as for controls and screen size, that is all I am going to say, I don't care if I can play in Tokyo Japan with the Vita and the PS4 in USA, I don't like its controls.

Lol, all of a sudden off tv is the greatest thing on earth.

Off TV was always great, it's only the Wii U and the gamepad had a lot of shortcomings.

The Wii U gamepad has bad pixel density, a resistive touchscreen, horrible range and most games don't even support off TV.

The only advantage the gamepad has over the Vita is the it's much more comfortable to hold and even then you can buy grips for the Vita to help with that.

Skyzard

Banned
Sure works with hell of a lot more games than the Vita or via Remote Play :p

They even have a bundle with stores right now so you can get it for 100 USD cheaper with 3 games bundled with 770-Titan class cards. http://www.geforce.com/get-the-ultimate-bundle

I pretty much just don't get why remote play makes the PS4 a truly revolutionary system like it's actually a big deal per the OP, and reading some of the back and fourth arguing of the Wii U and PS4 is like what?

Also, compatible PC, you mean like you need a PS4 and Vita just like you need a 650+ card with Shield, come on now.

Chances are PS4 games will increase faster than shield compatibility rate...right? If it was universal it would a totally different story, for me anyway.

OP downplays some of the other features of next-gen to try and get the point across but the convenience is huge for me and others who really enjoy what their vita does for them. And you know people are more comfortable with consoles then PC on the whole.

Plus playing PS4 games while going out for donuts sounds pretty good to me.

Really? I was considering picking one up next month to stream to my TV. I guess I can move my PC but I'd rather not... Blegh.

This has their compatibility list:

http://shield.nvidia.com/play-pc-games/

It has good ones for sure but it's not like everything just works like it will with ps4 games (outside of camera games). Let's see how nvidia support it too...

Shai-Tan

Banned
I wanted to love remote play based on the Wii U but I'm finding Nintendo's implementation to be mostly better. PS4 may give you longer range but it's also less stable. Both can go through walls but I never have errors pooping up on the Wii U suggesting a connection problem and then the video stutters or shows extreme compression artifacts. Also the Wii U ruins at twice the frame rate and doesn't sacrifice controls.

I'm pretty sure Wii U is 5ghz which is not as prone to signal problems because those channels are more clear (there are more of them) but it in turn has a shorter distance than 2.4ghz. It's possible to troubleshoot if you live in a house or other location which doesn't have many surrounding access points but you're screwed in apartments with 2.4ghz.

Just FYI about PS4 remote play, your router needs to be upnp compatible for it to work over the internet. Been doing some research on this cause I've been meaning to get a vita, but apple's airport routers don't do upnp so I'm shit out of luck with doing over the internet remote play :(

Indiscipline

Neo Member
It's a bandwidth limitation, remote play in it's current form has a bitrate between 2000kbits and 100000kbits (200kb to 1 MB/s) to allow 60fps would almost double the bit rate (which most ISPs are incapable of providing)

That just goes to show that it's not all that great.

Off TV was always great, it's only the Wii U and the gamepad had a lot of shortcomings.

The Wii U gamepad has bad pixel density, a resistive touchscreen, horrible range and most games don't even support off TV.

The only advantage the gamepad has over the Vita is the it's much more comfortable to hold and even then you can buy grips for the Vita to help with that.

I know the gamepad gets knocked in here but lol, people expect Nintendo to put high tech and don't even want to shell $300 for the current one.

The gamepad looks good enough for me and it does what it was set to do for the price of this thing. It is very very comfortable.

Umm I have the wiiu and ps4/vita.

It works terribly with wiiu. Can't even go to my bedroom. But with remote play I was playing from my bedroom,playing from my dad's house accross town, and playing from work.

To compare the 2 as similar is fucking ridiculous.

I have wiiu and ps4/vita as well. It's hilarious how people don't understand the difference between the two. There's really no comparison. Vita remote play is incredible.

onipex

Why are people fighting over this? They are different. The Wii U gamepad has better controls and can actually stand in place of a TV screen as Wii and Wii U games can be played on it with Wiimotes and pro controllers. The PS4Vita setup has more connection options for long distance remote play. Both can be used a separate screen for multiplayer and co-op gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom