• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Has there been FFX HD impressions yet?

I like it when musicians re-arrange, re-record or remix classic songs. It puts a new spin on tracks and makes you view songs from a different angel, so I'm going into the new soundtrack with optimism.

With that said, it'd be neat if the option for the old soundtrack is an unlockable or something.

Alucrid

Banned
I was actually really excited to get back and play this again. Then I heard the new Besaid theme.

zeY6Blt.png

dc89

From the FFX remaster music thread:

The site itself with the samples: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/FFXHD/

Some legitimately great songs have been fucked up.

All of those rearrangements sound really good, there's nothing "fucked up" about them (as in, that they'd sound completely horrible in a Resident Evil Dualshock Edition kind of way). The Besaid Island song is a beautiful one, even if a little bit different from the original.

Besaid Island is one of my favourite tracks from the original OST. This rearrangement isn't terrible, but I think the original has a certain charm to it.

Yeah, it looks a bit subnative res for Vita, but not Ys MoC bad.

And LOL at no cutscene skipping. Is it really that hard to do for square? What about FFX-2? Did they remove skipping?

Resilient

OMG, A week ago I'm here telling Kagari that SE have started building some decent momentum and then they go and do something ass backwards like this. Wtf?

Remix of the OST? That's fine and actually more than other devs would add - neat. But no option for the original OST?! Why?

The Tidus and Yuna models? What happened?

No cutscene skipping? Seriously? What is this, Kingdom Hearts?

It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back with SE. Coming off the 1.5 HD remix...just damn.

Also, sub native on Vita will be really disappointing.

I doubt they did, but remember that cutscene skipping was only available from the second playthrough onwards...

I don't think that's correct. I recall being able to skip cutscenes right from the get go. You could hurt your completion % if you did tho iirc.

Arcayne

Just listened to the new Besaid Theme.. damn. It's different in a really good way and.. wow, its really bringing me back. X really was a good FF entry, and the OST is as memorable and relaxing as I imagined it.

Just listened to the new Besaid Theme.. damn. It's different in a really good way and.. wow, its really bringing me back. X really was a good FF entry, and the OST is as memorable and relaxing as I imagined it.

Yeah, listening to the re-arranged theme for Besaid was kinda like (sorry for the cheese-factor here) seeing an old friend again for the first time after years of being away. They've changed and grown, but still totally familiar. I hope all the new versions of the tracks are as effective.

Opinions, man.

Exactly. It's fine that some people hate it, but it's also fine that some people like it. Neither is right, and neither is wrong.

As for where I stand, although I enjoyed the soundtrack I never got attached enough to the music to cancel my preorder over a supposedly worse theme or two.

This is why Square Enix will never remake Final Fantasy VII properly.

I doubt SE cares about the backlash. They've pulled numerous legitimately worse stunts than putting a seemingly neat, new spin on an OST. I can't imagine upsetting their fans is what's keeping them from remaking VII.

I wouldn't define it as "fucking up" but rather people being incredibly picky.

That's the problem with nostalgia.
I didn't want a new OST. I was perfectly fine with the previous OST. Not letting you use the original OST as an option is pretty dumb. At least make it a DLC.

The new OST is fine. They should still have had the option for original to please everyone but the newer sounding music is really good.

The soundtrack is now more modern sounding and the funny thing is its likely a lot more authentic with how the composers originally wanted it to sound like anyway. I approve.

It's like saying if you had a choice of either having the NES 8 bit Zelda theme in your next Zelda for the Overworld or a orchestral brand new version of it.

Its just the limits of the technology. Same with PS2.

anaron

I wouldn't define it as "fucking up" but rather people being incredibly picky.

That's the problem with nostalgia.
Lol, don't summate my or other people's feelings being blinded by nostalgia.

We know which superior version we prefer.

Mr.Fresh

I don't give a FUCK if they changed the music as long as I'm getting the same great game with more content and HD I'm fine.

Nerokis

I usually agree, but in this specific case, I think nostalgia plays an outsized role. You're comparing versions of tracks you heard in a very special context against versions of tracks you've only heard on YouTube. It's pretty unsurprising for the latter to seem jarring.

For the most part, I've enjoyed the remixed tracks, and I'm very excited to experience the game again with the new OST in the background. Perhaps even moreso than the remastered graphics, I think the music will be absolutely key to FFX HD feeling really fresh.

Shinta

Banned

Nostalgia is really the kind way to disagree with someone who says they prefer a version with massively inferior audio quality. The alternative is wondering if they're basically ignorant of how recording works or sounds.

And that's fine if people want to base their opinion on nostalgia. At least its honest. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, and get attached to the little quirks of the older versions because they heard it first.

A few of the tracks are full on remixes though that have different parts. It's fine to prefer one of those more than the other. But neither one of them are even bad. There's so much insane exaggeration going on here.

I don't give a FUCK if they changed the music as long as I'm getting the same great game with more content and HD I'm fine.
Ding, ding, ding. Sure I can see why some people are understandably disappointed that they didn't enable things like skippable cutacenes etc. But if its the sane game with a new lick of paint I'm satisfied with that.

Thorgal

I have some bad news for you.

It still like both .
Each song is great . some more then others but in no way would i call one " Horrible or an Abomination .
Also to those who are saying they ruined Hamauzu's work Just know that he is also doing the Arrangements of these songs , Including The Besaid island theme that get's so much hate here.

Nerokis

Nostalgia is really the kind way to disagree with someone who says they prefer a version with massively inferior audio quality. The alternative is wondering if they're basically ignorant of how recording works or sounds.

And that's fine if people want to base their opinion on nostalgia. At least its honest. I'm sure a lot of people feel that way, and get attached to the little quirks of the older versions because they heard it first.

A few of the tracks are full on remixes though that have different parts. It's fine to prefer one of those more than the other. But neither one of them are even bad. There's so much insane exaggeration going on here.

I underlined an example of the bolded. ;)

DCharlie

Banned
i only booted up the game and got to the very first section (vita) - didn't really notice anything bad graphically - infact, it looked pretty nice.

I'll give it a whirl again tonight

anaron

Well defining the remixes as objectively bad when it's just your preference doesn't leave much room for a healthy debate either.

I didn't claim they were all objectively bad. I think they're bad within the context of serving a remastered game. This isn't a remake or sequel, it's a graphically and audio updated version of X to be played on HD televisions and Vita that also includes previous unreleased NA content.

I do believe remixes have no business being in this if they're going to replace the originals. If you're going to pull that crap, *at least* give the fans the option to have the original OST so that it's no longer an issue.

Falk

that puzzling face
Honestly, the only thing I can find objectively wrong with the soundtrack in-context of the HD remaster is the difference in quality going from _____ to the battle theme and victory fanfare back to _____. It literally sounds a console generation apart - the new battle theme, while fine on its own, is extremely jarring in how its washed in unnecessary reverb with questionable (for 2013) sample libraries for half the instruments. If the entire soundtrack had been done that way in a pseudo-MOD-esque format it would have totally been fine, but as it is it does detract from my experience when it repeatedly transitions to/from the refurbished area themes.

Besaid was one of my favorite tracks in the original game especially considering where it's placed in the experience and how it helped set expectations for the game/console generation, but it's not like the new version completely ruins the game. If anything it does evoke a much more tranquil mood, reminiscent of Wakka's abhorrence for dem makinas.

If you're cancelling your preorder over a couple of tracks, I really don't know what to tell you. Your loss. It's not like the original OST ceases to exist. The original composers (sans Uematsu) were back to update their own works. I loved the old ones, and I continue to subjectively enjoy their craft, so I'm not going to be a jackass and let what -I- think suits a game best override what they think suits a game best.

edit: all that being said I'll reiterate that not having the original OST in there as an option is a really bizarre choice. I mean everything from Cave Story to Half Minute Hero have that option.

I didn't claim they were all objectively bad. I think they're bad within the context of serving a remastered game. This isn't a remake or sequel, it's a graphically and audio updated version of X to be played on HD televisions and Vita that also includes previous unreleased NA content.

I do believe remixes have no business being in this if they're going to replace the originals. If you're going to pull that crap, *at least* give the fans the option to have the original OST so that it's no longer an issue.
That's fine that you feel that way. It's also fine to be perfectly OK with what Square has done. FFX is my favorite of the series but none of the changes bother me, although the bags under tidus' eyes are extremely odd... :p

anaron

That's fine that you feel that way. It's also fine to be perfectly OK with what Square has done. FFX is my favorite of the series but none of the changes bother me, although the bags under tidus' eyes are extremely odd... :p
Of course it's fine to be ok with the changes. I'm just someone who's not. :p

killatopak

Gold Member
Hey guys, if you're fine with the new soundtrack then it's okay. That's like, your opinion man.

But when we like the original soundtrack, it doesn't automatically mean that we are only liking it for nostalgia. There are tons of old songs that are remakes like We Are The World or Smooth Criminal. It doesn't automatically make it better just because it's newer.

SE really should have put the option of using the original OST. I get it some of you may like the new OST but some of us don't. I don't agree with cancelling the order just because of the OST though.

In the Vita's case, I could forgive it if it's a space issue but on the PS3? Hell no. The least they could do is make it a DLC but I hope to god that there's nothing monetary attached to it.

Best case scenario would be that they would allow us to replace each song separately. The best of both worlds I must say.

AmanoBuff

Quoting myself from the Vita thread:

Very detailed impressions (with screenshots) of various aspects of the Vita version of FFX.

I'm sure it's thread-worthy but I'm on mobile and it 5am here and I'm about to collapse.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/game...-hd-remaster-vita-out-now-impressio-31005418/

Overall, the port is solid, looks great and runs at 30fps for the most part. It also makes some clever (and minimal) use of the touchscreen. SE has also done some work specific to the Vita version (like larger text for example to make sure everything is more readable/playable.

Honestly I'm a pleasantly surprised SE didn't just take the cheap/easy road with the Vita version.

Nope. But for someone like me who did not play the original games, that's not a problem at all ^^;

Fuck

Thinking about that
Yunalesca
fight. Damn, that was like a 20 minute cutscene. I sort of remember what to do so I don't anticipate it being an issue but seriously, this is scummy as hell. Enough time to incorporate a new OST but not enough time to introduce a such a basic feature.

Hasney

At this point, I think I'll be waiting for a pretty substantial sale before I jump on this. Possibly single £ figures.

urfe

I was really looking forward to buy this, and now I'm not sure if I will.

The non-native resolution thing I just don't get.

Would a person not on the know like myself notice this?

Hasney

I was really looking forward to buy this, and now I'm not sure if I will.

The non-native resolution thing I just don't get.

Would a person not on the know like myself notice this?

Go to your laptop or PC hooked up to a flat screen monitor. Now change the resolution to something below the Windows "recommended".

You see that? That's your PC not running at your monitors native resolution and it's very similar to what you'll see playing this.

KurtAngle2

Neo Member
Spira Unplugged original version is undoubtedly better than the remastered version, just listen to both the Remastered and it and you'll understand why

Top Bottom