• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The One That Got Away -- Video Game Bosses

SkylineRKR

Emerald Weapon is a very fun boss. Most people initially failed because they were loaded with Materia and Airetam Storm would decimate them. But you can lure him into lucky 7 if you stock 2 materia and keep a char's health at 9999 with X-Potions or elixirs. It was fun to not rely on KOTR W-summon crap but on Counter mimes with limit breaks and lucky 7's.

Ruby was easier for me, that is, if you went in alone you would win guaranteed with ribbon, mystile KOTR+ HP absorb mime lameness. But I couldn't beat him 'properly'.

Carnby

Ninja Gaiden (NES). Once, and only once, I made it to the final boss' second form. I gave up after that. I'm glad I did, because years later I found out there was a third form. Forget that!

Mort

Banned
0.jpg

My experience went exactly like the Angry Video Game Nerd's. I struggled through the stage. Beat the previous boss easily. I was already really roughed up by the time I reached Jaquio , and lost to the guy before really getting a chance to fight him. Then I realized I had to start aaaaalll the way back at the beginning of the stage. I don't remember how long I stared at the TV screen. After I finally processed everything I just turned the game off and never went back.

Ninja Gaiden (NES). Once, and only once, I made it to the final boss' second form. I gave up after that. I'm glad I did, because years later I found out there was a third form. Forget that!

Pfff. Didn't even see this before I posted.

Cyrus_Saren

There are two that come to mind for me. Kurt Zisa from Kingdom Hearts and Phoenix from Final Fantasy XII.

Kurt Zisa is odd for me since I beat the other optional bosses. Hoping to correct this in Kingdom Hearts 1.5.

For Phoenix, the reason is that I got burned out on playing Final Fantasy XII as I was going through the tower (Pharos, I think it was called?) to fight Phoenix and just never went back and finished.

Carnby

0.jpg

My experience went exactly like the Angry Video Game Nerd's. I struggled through the stage. Beat the previous boss easily. I was already really roughed up by the time I reached Jaquio , and lost to the guy before really getting a chance to fight him. Then I realized I had to start aaaaalll the way back at the beginning of the stage. I don't remember how long I stared at the TV screen. After I finally processed everything I just turned the game off and never went back.

Pfff. Didn't even see this before I posted.

I bolded exactly how I felt about it. lol. I couldn't agree more.

GooeyHeat

Does anyone know if the DS version of DKR made him easier? I beat him pretty easily when I played that version, but it could be that I was just older and wiser. :)
I hope it doesn't hurt your ego to say that everything in Diddy Kong Racing DS was truckloads easier than the original. I beat everything in the DS version, but the octupus in the original still brings back war flashbacks.
The first Wizpig race, though... that is just on a whole other level. Even the second race where you're in the plane is easier because his rocket isn't quite as fast and you have more room to work with. In the first one, you basically have to run it perfectly with a character with high speed like Banjo, which means it's much harder to turn.

Alternatively, you could just use the acceleration glitch, break the game, and laugh, but that's no fun.

xPhinehas

bagnirudra.jpg

Agni & rudra: on DMD.

One of my favorite boss fights! Having to watch both of them at once, SO EXCITING! Other favorite from that game is anytime you fight Vergil.

For me I'm still stuck on the Four Kings in Dark Souls. Although I have only tried them about 3 times...they so scary!

DKx0rhY.jpg

Wiegraf in Final Fantasy Tactics. Fucking asshole. :(

+1

I've never been able to beat him. I've had to quit the game twice because of this asshole.

In some alternate universe, Ramza wins easily with only his fists

Sigma in Mega Man X1. Couldn't beat him when I was a kid and still can't beat him. I can get up to his final form but can't hack it.

This was my problem back then. I didn't even know his weak spot in that form. I fixed that after MMX4 though lol.

Sigma in X1? pFf,, piss easy compared to Sigma in MegaMan X4. That thing.

Never beaten it and i'm sure I've killed harder boss in all my gamer career.

Did you play X4 as Zero? Because I did and I had the hardest time with Sigma. My cousin/brother were doing an X playthrough and apparently won it after a couple lives.

zainetor

Banned
Haha, good to see Wizpig mentioned in here!

Does anyone know if the DS version of DKR made him easier? I beat him pretty easily when I played that version, but it could be that I was just older and wiser. :)

I gave up on Ninja Gaiden (Xbox) at the maybe the third boss. It's the blobby tentacle monster that I seem to remember eats the busty lady before you fight it.

!
that's literally the easiest boss in the game. You have to die on purpose to be killed by that thing.

Kirlia

Banned
The final boss in Rogue Galaxy. There was a 2 phase boss fight prior and then an 8 phase fight using each of your teammates with the final phase being that your stats are maxed and you have this powerful sword, but the final part has a shit ton of health so its tedious as hell. Then I didn't quite dodge his giant laser and game over. It had started me over from before that boss fight prior and I had spent at least an hour on it

Yeah, that final boss was a major pain in the ass. I spammed the hell out of healing items; anyone who doesn't know about the boss's attacks before taking it on are very, very likely to die during the fight, regardless of character level. I did beat it on my first try, but only because I had a guide and was VERY cautious.

A few people mentioned Ozma from FFIX. God, that is one hellish abomination. Beating it felt more like luck than anything else. Took me around a dozen times, I believe.

As for bosses I never beat, I never did finish off the final boss of The Minish Cap. I was borrowing the game from someone, though. But of the Zelda games I've played, that was the hardest final boss for me. Damn that bastard...

Remembered another one - Vergil from DMC3.

I was playing only on keyboard, and not able to touch him, basically. DMC3 is a great game, don't get me wrong, he's just too strong and I have stupidfingers.

Azsori

I actually managed to get past that portion of the game with an underleveled team once. Took me about two days, though. People are not joking when they say its one of the hardest fights in FF history.

Lol, same. First time I played through, I never even thought to go back and level my characters. I also thought by keeping Ramza a Knight, it would have an effect on the story...I was a stupid stupid child then. Somehow I beat him, and I think I capped off the game as lvl 48...so brutal...

SegaShack

I truly, sincerely, cannot comprehend this post. You have the last boss of Wonder Boy in Monster World in that list, who is indeed very very difficult and requires extreme skills and I can certainly understand giving up on him.

But Sephiroth? Really? You need absolutely zero grinding in FF7 and the game is still supremely easy (other than Ruby/Emerald obviously). I think I died like twice during my entire first playthrough, and it wasn't against Sephiroth. He's a total pushover and I never once grinded (I hate grinding) except on a different save slot to try to beat Ruby and Emerald. How does anyone struggle against Sephiroth? Can anyone explain? How do you people play your RPGs? I wasn't a big RPG expert either, I had played a few before that one but not that many. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious as to how someone can struggle against Sephiroth unless they ran from every battle and don't equip themselves properly or whatever.

With Wonderboy it's really a mix of both skills and luck, you just have to hope for the best and keep trying. The way the blades inconsistently change directions is really annoying. What's funny though is that after taking a hiatus I wanted to show a friend how impossible that boss is, and that happens to be when I beat it.

I got through the rest of the entire game without grinding, Sephiroth I fought many times and did not get far at all. All of my friends and many guides on the internet talk about needing to grind to beat Sephiroth. Keep in mind I didn't do much side quests at all so that could be part of it. I did fight all the enemies I encountered though, unless I was just needing a save point and was low on health. The game was somewhat challenging for me and didn't feel extremely easy (definitely not hard though), so maybe I didn't have the best gear or something, but I always got better weapons when I had the opportunity to.

Frologic

Donkey Kong in the Donkey Kong Arcade game located in Donkey Kong 64 frantic factory. I consider him a boss and it was damn well near impossible to get that gold banana

VariantX

Ozma in FF9, because...fuck you.
It simply kills you at a whim.

Whether on the first turn, or twenty turns in. Its all the same to him.

Alrus

Donkey Kong in the Donkey Kong Arcade game located in Donkey Kong 64 frantic factory. I consider him a boss and it was damn well near impossible to get that gold banana

Yep, I quit at that point and just decided to watch my older brother finish the game, it was just way too hard for younger me.

vvise

Metal Sonic from Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
Made probably a dozen attempts on him as a child, but never managed a win.
I remember getting to the last stage as a kid with like 20 lives and half dozen continues and going through all of them and losing :( you get the hang of it eventually, it helps he always does the same moves in the same order.
Also, this douche from Devil May Cry.
I'll always remember him as the fucker who made me switch to easy mode[oh the shame!]
i died A LOT but never gave up.

It's been more than a decade now. I still could not complete Devil May Cry because I could not beat him and I am told you get to fight him multiple times even.
devil-may-cry-nelo-angelo.jpg
awe this one wasn't that bad.

ornstein-smough-large.jpg

Still salty about it, too.
i summoned help :( to make it even stranger a huge guy in onion armor fought ornstien, while a really small fast guy distracted smough. it was like a strange reverse mirror match.

5635.VALUS.jpg

Got tired of struggling with the controls.
hm, i think some of the other colossi were harder but i do remember trouble saving stamina on that guy.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
I don't think I've given up yet, but Liberation Maiden's Yatagarasu on Hard.

The true final boss of Silhouette Mirage. I'm not sure I'll ever go back to that one.

weDm6CP.jpg

Nefarian

Never personally went back, and never put goldbrickers on your raid team. You can friend them, you can guild them, just don't ever go in an instance with them. Even a couple can ruin you.

hqdefault.jpg

Utterly annihilated me in two turns no matter what I did. Ragequitted and haven't looked back.

LUC/AGL

Frologic

i summoned help :( to make it even stranger a huge guy in onion armor fought ornstien, while a really small fast guy distracted smough. it was like a strange reverse mirror match.

The thing that sucks for me is that I have to play offline because of issues with GFWL account connections. No summons for me and this is currently where I'm stuck. 10 attempts and the battle usually lasts only a few minutes and it's mostly just me running

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The_Fiery_Gates.jpg

Hell's Gate in The Last Remnant. I've never even come close to killing this thing. The games completely illogical leveling system means you can't even really grind to get through it either. You either played the game properly up to that point and have a team that can take him or you're fucked.

robotrock

Banned
I'm about to reach the final boss of Persona 4, I think. I have no idea what to expect but I haven't played a JRPG in a very long time and I'm starting to feel anxious about it. It would suck if I put 70 hours into this game and then couldn't finish it.

Status update: I have attempted the final boss and yeah I can't do this :(

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The hell is this game?

It's Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Oddly enough, the actual name of this boss is "Adolf Hitler," and its actually Hitler, but they changed it in the re-release and gave him sunglasses because newer Japanese licensing standards wouldn't allow them to call the boss Hitler anymore.

Top Bottom