• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The One That Got Away -- Video Game Bosses

shiptoncraig

Neo Member
I'd have to say the boss rush at the end of Viewtiful Joe. I hate compulsory boss rushes and especially so if I can barely get through most of the bosses alone anyway.

Kru

The final boss of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Haven't tried it since I was 13 or so.

WARNING WARNING, PRESS CROUCH TO BLOCK

My most annoying boss ever... was Idol at the end of Killer Instinct for the Snes, he would just brutalise me with combos if i ever decided to attack.

Wasp

Rayman 3 final boss. I originally had the game on PS2 and I gave up on the final boss. Then I bought the game again on PS3 and this time I was determined to beat the final boss. I gave up again. The problem is it's an epic 20 minute 5 (five!) phase battle and if you die you have to start again from phase 1. In fact it's worse than that, if you die you have to start again from the bottom of a lengthy spiral staircase and then watch an unskippable cutscene.

More recently I gave up on the Outland final boss, The Sisters. In fact every boss fight in this game had me tearing my hair out, especially the Winged Serpent. I almost gave up on the game at that point but managed to do it eventually but then ended up calling it a day on the final boss which is arguably an easier boss. I hate how you have to fight the boss which is over a bottomless chasm and you only have tiny ledges to stand on which are constantly rotating round. Fuck that shit.

I also gave up on the final boss fights in both R&C1 and R&C3. They seemed insanely hard at the time, but when I played the HD Collection on PS3 they were a piece of cake to beat, did them both first attempt. Little me was an idiot, I'm pretty sure I tried fighting the last phase of the R&C3 boss on foot with my guns not knowing there was a pilotable spaceship nearby.

Likewise I gave up on the Dragon Maleficent boss in Kingdom Hearts 1 back in the day, totally got my ass whooped, but when I got to this point in the HD collection I found it insanely easy. I never knew the Tinkerbell summon was so awesome in KH1 and repeatedly casting Aeroga helps a ton. I even found the following Riku battle to be a cinch too due to these tactics.

NukeLaser

Star Ocean: The Last Hope - Ethereal Queen

I never even got to her. When I looked up what you had to do to unlock the last bonus dungeon, I said fuck it. I had suffered through enough just from finishing the main game.

HeatherGod.PNG

I had played pretty recklessly, as Silent Hill 3 was my first time playing a Silent Hill title. I had no ammo or health going into this fight and only 1 save that led directly to the boss encounter.

I couldn't beat God no matter how many things I tried, so I gave up. I later watched the ending on Youtube when I was older, and went on to play/complete Silent Hill 1 and 2, Homecoming and Downpour. I have Silent Hill The Room, but haven't given it an honest attempt yet, but I plan to one day.

Majukun

the last bowser in super mario bros.,when i was a child a couldn't beat him no matter what..never tried again though..isn't nintendo going to gift a copy of mario bros for 3ds for everyone who subscribed to the miiverse?if that's the case,it's time to settle the score.

Wasp

This motherfucker from Kingdom Hearts
kh-kurt-zisa.jpg
This was actually by far the easiest optional boss in Kingdom Hearts. Managed to beat this one second attempt, once I realised you have to use magic to get rid of his barrier.

But the Phantom at Neverland and the Ice Titan in the Colosseum destroyed me. Likewise I lasted about 15 seconds against Sephiroth.

SegaShack

Wonder Boy for Genesis the last boss

3ePTf.png

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga Last Boss

maxresdefault.jpg

Twinmold Zelda Majora's Mask

3515650822_56da58cba3.jpg

Turtle Rock Boss, A Link To The Past

trinexx_battle.gif

Sephiroth FF7

Sephiroth.jpg

Diddy Kong Racing Dragon
dragon10.jpg

Marble Garden Boss, Sonic 3 (When Playing as Tails)
07.PNG

Wario, Mario Land 2 (mainly for the level you have to play to get to him)
mario_land_2_thumb.jpg

These are the stand out ones that I can think of. However, the good news is that besides Sephiroth I did eventually beat all of these bosses. With the Zelda games mentioned I did not know about any upgrades to magic meter, sword, or defense so that is most likely why it took me forever to beat them (and I spent months away from them in frustration). With FF7 I did not want to spend 5 hours grinding so I could beat that boss, when the rest of the game's pacing was fine.

Someone had to beat the Dragon for me in DKR recently, I had been stuck on it for 10+ years. For the Sonic Boss I was a kid and it took me a long time to be able to beat the boss. Tails was my favorite and I didn't even consider trying other characters to get to that point. It is much easier with Sonic or Knuckles since you just jump off of tails to hit him.

The end boss/cult leader in RE 4 and the two centaurs in Tomb Raider Anniversary. I ended up watching the end of RE 4 on youtube. My brother told me how to beat the centaurs recently but idk if I'll ever reinstall the game

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've never beaten Smough and Ornstein solo. The first time I faced them was when I first tested out going human and summoned in Solaire and we iced them.

I'm actually doing an aggression mod run on Dark Souls now and I'm currently stuck on S&O and it's wicked fun and frustrating! The run back is such a torture.

Sephiroth from the KH games - I'ma just going to respect the fact you can kick my ass, and back away slowly. I rationalise by telling myself that only Butt can truly beat Sephiroth. It helps.

Shit. I forgot about the optional KH bosses. -_-
I never beat any of them. Oddly enough, I was able to beat Sephiroth in KH2, but not in KH.

Sephiroth is wicked easier in KHII. Reflega pretty much breaks it. I was able to run through like 2 of his health bars at a time using Reflega.

I don't know of playing so much Kingdom Hearts 2 had an effect on it, but after beating Sephiroth in 2, I beat him in KHI on about my third try.

Hypron

This inspired me to go back to Kalameet in NG+2 and see if I could best him.

Nope, lol. He's still a haxing scaly bastard.

I find that using a great shield plus a katana is a good way of taking him down. It's what I've been using on my main character and it's been working well, even on NG+5.

4lejandro

I never did beat the real final boss of Cave Story. I don't know why either, he was hard but he wasn't ridiculous or anything. I just had a mental block with him and couldn't do it.

I beat (final stage spoiler)
hell
on my psp on the passenger seat while my then girlfriend drove her car, I couldn't explain the sense of accomplishment and bad assery that overwhelmed me. Such a kickass game.

SkylineRKR

I beat Phantom at a lower level than Kurt Zisa. And Ice Titan before them because I used Diamond Dust against Phantom. Sephiroth at level 75 ish. He was difficult though.

I basically never beat Gabriel Celesta and the Iseria Queen in Tri Ace games. Because I never had the will to even reach them. And I never got to beat Penance for the same reason, which is too bad because I handily destroyed the likes of Emerald, Omega and Ozma. But I had much more time back then...

wizpig_02.png

This piece of fuck. His ground race was impossible for me as a child--each attempt ended with me throwing my N64 controller and screaming at the screen. When I looked up online how to beat him, I learned that I'd have to race him again in aircraft (my worst vehicle), at which point I just decided that it wasn't worth my piss.

Yes! I posted him on another thread (the one about gaming moments that require exact precision/no mistakes)

I could never beat him that second time :( And I'd invested SO many hours into that game....

ohkay

DKx0rhY.jpg

Wiegraf in Final Fantasy Tactics. Fucking asshole. :(
This. I had to walk away from the game for two months before deciding to come back and beat him. I unfortunately didn't have a save before that castle, so I couldn't train Ramza with auto potion. Fuck Wiegraf and fuck Velius. (Tactics is still one of my favorite games ever)

bigace33

DKx0rhY.jpg

Wiegraf in Final Fantasy Tactics. Fucking asshole. :(

Lol this fight can be so easy or terribly hard depending on if you knew it was coming. The first time I played the game I had to start completely over because I had not properly leveled or had the right abilities to beat him. If you have your Squire+ monk skills this can be one of the easiest fights in the game. I just spammed my squire speed+ ability and strength up ability. Hit him with a few earth strike monk abilities until he transforms into his true form. By that time my strength and speed/turn ability is off the charts and I literally beat him in two hits.

Serra

Last time I quit playing for a extended time because of a boss was Oni. The final boss (can't remember his name) beat the shit out of me for ~2 hours. Came back like 2 years later and whooped his ass in 30minutes (took a while to readjust to the game but he was easy)

Clefargle

Shadow_Queen.JPG

Shadow Queen from Paper Mario TTYD. I failed the first time and sold the game, then bought it again only to fail miserably the second time. I really want to finish it. It's on my GC top 5. She's just such a bitch!

LakeEarth

Second phase of Guacamelee's last boss.

There's a really simple pattern with tells. If he made a growling noise, dash away and jump. Did he suddenly step back? Roll away and duck. Did his mouth change color? Start dodging 3 sets of rapid fireballs. Raise his hand? Fire is about to come down in either an X or a | | pattern.

You don't have to worry about throwing the rocks. Just walk up to him, break his shield, and triple punch dodge (press dodge without a direction on the third hit of the 3 hit combo, which immediately cancels the recovery but keeps Juan in place), roll away once he fliches and react accordingly to his tells. Or you can just throw the rocks.

My secret shame? Perfect Dark. I kept dying on the boss cause I didn't know what I was supposed to do. And you had to go through the whole stage again (20min +) just to try to get to him and try again. I found out how later but by then I'd long since stopped caring.

Hmm, I found Kalameet much much much easier than Astorias or Manus: you learn the moves easily when you have to spend like 30 hours trying to get that tail drop, heh. It's just a really long fight because there are only couple of attacks that are feasible for counter attacks.

Last boss of RE:CV. Turns out you can get to the end of the game with the worst weapons and little to no ammo because there's no indication it's coming.

this reminds me of one of my favorite gaming memories. i played through CV with a friend of mine. we werent able to get the magnum towards the end (if i remember correctly we left the fire extinguisher in the metal detector or something like that) and so had pretty limited ammo. we managed to beat the final boss with our last remaining bullet.

+1

I've never been able to beat him. I've had to quit the game twice because of this asshole.

the first time is understandable since you dont know what you are getting into. the second time, if you have speed up and attack up (or whatever they are called, the squire abilities) you can cheese him easily. then even after the transformation you can win easily since the buffs carry over.

i guess for me its the final boss in henry hatsworth and the puzzling adventure. i liked the game but the difficulty spikes in the last few worlds, and the level design becomes more and more bullshit. i beat the second to last boss after a few tries and was just exasperated by the time i got to the actual final boss. maybe i should give that another try. i should still have the save.

The first boss in Lost Odyssey proved to be an impenetrable wall for me. I must have tried a dozen times before finally giving up, not because I was getting beaten but because the fight was just so one sided.

That being said I've never been much of a jrpg fan so it might not have been all that challenging to someone more familiar with the genre.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I couldn't beat Sturm in Advance Wars until I consulted a walkthrough, the kind that explained exactly what moves to make each turn.

I honestly can't think of any boss. I remember having problems with Sephiroth in the first Kingdom Hearts but after a friend beat him on my save I had to step up my game. Kurt Zisa I beat through pure power of will though. Played a bit of KHFM on a friends save recently and fought the Ice Titan, he was way under leveled though so I got my ass beat pretty quick.

Ruby Weapon is only hard if you don't have a good strategy. A friend thought me a good one (which I can't remember at the moment, but it wasn't at all like the usual ones that are floating around) before that he kicked my ass pretty good though. But I got lucky facing Emerald Weapon when I beat him, I didn't have master summon so my Knights of the round had just run out and I was about to get decimated since my other attacks didn't do that much damage. At that point I got the first and only lucky seven I ever gotten i FF7 and proceeded to kick his ass.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
The first boss of the game and I couldn't get past it till years later when I bought the box set with all 3.

wtZsIh5.jpg

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
hqdefault.jpg

I don't remember if I ever beat Omega weapon in FF5, but I don't think I did... think I just said screw it and moved on.

241272-14690_14_2.jpg

Dracula, Circle of the Moon. I was underpowered, and no card combination helped, didn't want to grind or farm for cards, so I gave up. Game was really hard overall but I always managed. This just did it for me, I saw no way to survive and couldn't be arsed.

9121-550x-Metroid%20ZM%20-%20Stealth.jpg

Not really a boss, but the pseudo-stealth section of Metroid: Zero Mission infuriated me too much, I gave up because it was not fun and I couldn't get past the space pirates. Completely unnecessary section too. :(

hqdefault.jpg

I couldn't do the "mash square" QTE quickly enough, for some reason, so I couldn't beat him at all. Made me hate QTEs (and God of War games) for good forever. I gave the controller to my boyfriend just for that stupid-ass part.

These are the stand out ones that I can think of. However, the good news is that besides Sephiroth I did eventually beat all of these bosses. [...] With FF7 I did not want to spend 5 hours grinding so I could beat that boss, when the rest of the game's pacing was fine.
I truly, sincerely, cannot comprehend this post. You have the last boss of Wonder Boy in Monster World in that list, who is indeed very very difficult and requires extreme skills and I can certainly understand giving up on him.

But Sephiroth? Really? You need absolutely zero grinding in FF7 and the game is still supremely easy (other than Ruby/Emerald obviously). I think I died like twice during my entire first playthrough, and it wasn't against Sephiroth. He's a total pushover and I never once grinded (I hate grinding) except on a different save slot to try to beat Ruby and Emerald. How does anyone struggle against Sephiroth? Can anyone explain? How do you people play your RPGs? I wasn't a big RPG expert either, I had played a few before that one but not that many. Not trying to be an ass, I'm genuinely curious as to how someone can struggle against Sephiroth unless they ran from every battle and don't equip themselves properly or whatever.

Mentok

Banned
I killed everything in Dark Souls except those cut in half T-rex things

I didn't even try, now i wonder if i should have?

Meh, I did it once and found it rather disappointing. First of all, you have to run up to them in the lava (which hurt my eyes after a while), and each demon gives about 2000 souls (once only, they do not respawn). You were fine to skip them.

For me, I'd have to say "Through the Fire and Flames" on expert difficulty for Guitar Hero 3. What made it more depressing was that I was getting my ass handed to me while listening to an awesome song.

Griss

Pretty much the final boss of any Final Fantasy I've played, and most JRPGs. I get to that point where I'm just desperate to see the end of the story as I'm tired of the overlong, overwrought plot, but then the game throws a massive difficulty spike / grinding check at me that I don't have the patience or interest to pass.

I think 7 and 13 were the only ones I beat fully. 12 is the one that got away. Loved that game, but had no interest in going and grinding to beat the final boss.

goldenpp72

Wizpig to some extent, though I played it about when it came out, I actually ended up playing the game through again and beat the shit out of the entire game in 2 moderate sittings. Come to find the only reason I wasn't winning was not knowing the boost trick for the ground boosters, still pretty hard though but he held a special place in my heart as the one that survive until now :p

confuziz

Banned
Last boss in Donkey Kong 64 (K. Rool). You had to fight him with every kong in this boxing arena. Couldn't do it with the last kong. After a few million times I gave up and never returned.

Son Of D

KH2FM - Lingering Will

I can't man, I just can't.

This for me. Also Night Terror in Soul Calibur 3. Doesn't help that for Night Terror you need to go on a specific path (which differs with each character) and (If I remember correctly) you can't lose on a single battle either before fighting NT.

This evil bitch! Ultimecia from FFVIII

Ultimecia_Final_FFVIII_Color_Art.jpg

Despite having tried countless times over a number of playthroughs and not once have I even came close. One day I will get to actually see the ending cutscene.

Lettuce

This fucker from Rygar on the NES......

Rygar_NES_boss_ligar.png

The bastard never even moved and was stationary and i STILL could beat him..........just last year i found out that there was a bug in the PAL version of the game and he couldn't actually be beaten.

THANKS TECMO!!!, my 8 year old self wants all those hours back i wasted on this guy!!!

snip
I refuse to summon.
You can do it! They were definitely among the hardest bosses in the game though, that's for sure. I used the Black Knight Battle Axe and high strength, took Ornstien out first, then focused on big Smough. With any luck and some pattern memorization, victory should be yours.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Vanquish.

Playing God Hard and it went pretty smoothly up until I got to those 2 metal bosses you have to fight at once. I got within a few shots left and died, and never went back. Too much rage.

Hypron

Vanquish.

Playing God Hard and it went pretty smoothly up until I got to those 2 metal bosses you have to fight at once. I got within a few shots left and died, and never went back. Too much rage.

You didn't even get to the hardest parts of the game (the drill Romanov/sniper ambush and the final boss) :p Those are even more rage inducing.

Wookieomg

When I was very young, I played Demon's Crest on SNES. Could NEVER beat the final boss. Always got my ass handed to me. One day I'll go back and claim victory...

tmarques

Golgo 13. I remember shooting that giant brain for an eternity and nothing happened. I never knew you had to shoot these tiny spots around the screen before shooting the brain until the Game Center CX episode.

Top Bottom