• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The One That Got Away -- Video Game Bosses

Anteater

most of the hunts in ffxii in the last half of the game, just eventually got bored of it and wanted to finish the game. ffxiii too with the endgame stuff

John Dunbar

correct about everything
The last boss in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door. Just couldn't do it, it's an insane difficulty spike.

Great game, though.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not a boss, but I could never do the final Ryan's strength upgrade mini game in No More Heroes 2, freaking hated that guy. ¬_¬;

bagnirudra.jpg

Agni & rudra: on DMD.

Hodders

Neo Member
Fire Leo in Viewtiful Joe for me, every time I decide to go back and try again the boss rush beforehand just puts me off

zoukka

I'll call him a boss for the sake of this: the regenerator near the end of Dead Space 2.

Once I saw him I only tried once to get as far as I could from him before saying "not doing this shit again" and shutting off the game for good.

That section isn't actually hard at all, it's just the thought of an enemy you cannot kill that makes it unbearable for some people. Too scary, like nemesis in RE3.

Mike Tyson: The Thread

yOJDFEI.jpg

My brother and I got Punch Out as a gift when I was 8 years old or so. Loved the game but never beat Iron Mike. Played through Super Punchout for SNES and even Punch Out on the Wii.

Over the years I've re bought the original Punch Out every time Nintendo has put it up for sale. Wii Vc, Wii U VC, 3DS, etc. It's one of my favorite series.

And I STILL haven't beat Mike Tyson.

robotrock

Banned
I'm about to reach the final boss of Persona 4, I think. I have no idea what to expect but I haven't played a JRPG in a very long time and I'm starting to feel anxious about it. It would suck if I put 70 hours into this game and then couldn't finish it.

gaugebozo

Got to Bowser on Super Mario Bros. with a ton of lives, but never beat him. I couldn't figure out a strategy.

I went through a bunch of replays of my old favorites when the virtual console came versions came out on the Wii. I beat Castlevania I, II and Super Castlevania for the first times. You'll notice Castlevania III is missing. I got to Dracula, got him down to one health bar, then jumped right into the lasers. Continue starts you all the way at the beginning of the level, and that last level is like impossible. I have no idea how I got to Dracula in the first place. I've tried restarting so I could use Alucard's flying, but am finding the bosses super hard without Sypha.

Watevaman

That section isn't actually hard at all, it's just the thought of an enemy you cannot kill that makes it unbearable for some people. Too scary, like nemesis in RE3.

except i "killed" nemesis when i was 10. I was 21/22 and gave up to this bitch

Matriox

Last boss in Torchlight 1... I had a pretty bad build I guess for him and I kited him for like 20 minutes before dying, was around 1/4 health left and I said nope and abandoned the game. No clue what happened, I was facerolling up until that boss and he decided to take absolutely no damage from me.

Atlas157

Demi-Fiend in Digital Devil Saga. Self-explanatory.

Elizabeth from Persona 3. I attempted her once and never again after I found out her rules and her instant kill Megidolaon.

Kiwi Kraze and a lot of the Mega Man games had bosses that made me give up on the game because I couldn't beat them when I was younger. I should try them again now.

I played Viewtiful Joe on Adult difficulty and when I got to the boss rush, I just can't bring myself to finish the shark boss. I didn't put enough into increasing health like a dumbass, so I only had 8-10 hearts. When the shark guy starts zig-zagging around, it got so nerve-wracking that I just couldn't bear it.

It was hard, but that wasn't what kept me from completing it. Something about the concept of a flying, health-regenerating shark man chasing me around is too much to deal with.

I killed everything in Dark Souls except those cut in half T-rex things

LD4bZ.jpg

I didn't even try, now i wonder if i should have?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
SpoorpP.jpg

The only one I've ever come close to leaving behind. It took me several dozen attempts over the various encounters with her. I didn't have a problem with much else in that game, but fuck Piastol.

I'm also ashamed to admit I never beat Ruby or Emerald Weapons in FFVII.

I never defeated Ruby Weapon, i've read you need Knights of the Roundtable for that and to get them you needed a golden chocobo... i don't know why but i failed at creating this damn chocobo. So no Knights for me and i gave up on trying to beat Ruby Weapon.

War Eagle

zelda-bongo-bongo.jpeg

Never finished Ocarina of Time because of the Shadow Boss temple.

Not that he was infuriating hard but having to go back there each time was a pain the ass and I had to buy potions so I had to search for rupees and I didn't have patience for that so I gave up.

Potions? Ferries in bottles all day bro.

For me it was Bower in SMG.

I never did beat the real final boss of Cave Story. I don't know why either, he was hard but he wasn't ridiculous or anything. I just had a mental block with him and couldn't do it.

For me, it's annoying that there are no saves, AND I have to face that mini boss without missiles. I'll get to him someday though

I was never able to beat Sigma in Mega Man X. I just could not grock the fight. And it didn't help that he had 2 or 3 forms, too!

Love that game, though.

Sigma in Mega Man X1. Couldn't beat him when I was a kid and still can't beat him. I can get up to his final form but can't hack it.

Ultratech

Barbatos in ToD: Remake had me stumped for the longest time.
I got there one day, and found out you couldn't change your team before the boss.
So I tried forever and ever to beat him, but I'd always get my ass kicked.

I pretty much quit playing for about a year before I went back to one New Year's Day and just spent a good two hours going back through the Bonus Dungeon and made a better team to kick his ass.

Some others:
-Yiazmat: Yeah, I never seriously attempted it. I beat Omega, but beating Yiazmat in the original game takes forever. Wasn't worth the time to me.

-Sephiroth in KH1: I forgot if I even went back and beat it. I couldn't beat him for the longest time because he was by and far probably the hardest boss in that game.

-Mike Tyson: Self-explanatory.

-Monster Arena bosses in FFX: I did a few of 'em, but I never beat them all. They were just on a whole other level, and I didn't feel like grinding out the Sphere Grid to attempt beating them.

I've never beaten Mike Tyson, or
Captain Blue
in Viewtiful Joe on Ultra V-Rated.

Never beat the last boss in Metroid Prime 2. Played it once, couldn't damage it, and just couldn't be arsed to go back and figure it out. That game was more exhausting than fun, especially the awful fetch quest at the end.

Pachinko

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga for the gameboy advance. I've been stuck at the end of that game for over 10 years now I guess. Nintendo lost a fair bit of money from me because of that, had I been able to finish that game I might have picked up the countless sequels but instead I abandoned the entire series thanks to bowletta.

The problem was that the final boss in that game had 2 forms, the first form was pretty easy, just dodge a few attacks and hammer out some damage for 5-6 turns. Afterwards though you get eaten and have to defend yourself for 2 turns with only 1 HP, if you mistime a dodge during this sequence it will result in the either mario or luigi getting KO'd. Mistime 2 attacks and they both die. The game , to my knowledge does not have a revive upon death item or equipment and after so many failed attempts I never did get good at dodging those first few attacks. Every couple of years I go back and give it another whirl only to lose once again. Pity too, the rest of the game was so much fun.

I've heard quite a few of the mario RPG games suffer from the same final boss cheapness so at least I know I'm not the only one with that issue.

Most fighting game bosses. I can usually beat them through sheer persistence but I'll normally stop trying when it comes to playing through with other characters. It just feels cheap to the point where I actively start hating the game. Assholes like Jinpachi from Tekken 5 actually made me lose interest in any future games too.

Just not cut out for that nonsense.

That one boss in Crackdown 1 on the last Island. Bastard just stood inside of his uinpenetrable Pyramid building taunting you.

Serrato

Sigma in X1? pFf,, piss easy compared to Sigma in MegaMan X4. That thing.

Never beaten it and i'm sure I've killed harder boss in all my gamer career.

Calibus

This inspired me to go back to Kalameet in NG+2 and see if I could best him.

Nope, lol. He's still a haxing scaly bastard.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
This thread inspired me to go back and beat a boss I hadn't made it past: Apollo in Final Fantasy Legend 2. For whatever reason, when I was younger I was under the impression that I couldn't make it back to any shops (this wasn't the case), and since your weapons have limited uses, I thought I was shit out of luck since most of mine ran out, and I didn't care enough to restart the whole thing. All I did was buy some heal staffs and outlasted him :/ At least I can finally beat the game at some point now, as I think he was one of the last bosses lol

Top Bottom