• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
...possibly. If they'd gone that route, we might have gotten something other than the coloring book of wrestling matches. Biggest takeaway though is that it's apparent that the two top guys in the company just didn't care to tell the story in the ring at one of the Big 4.

Kinda shows the shape the company is in, creative wise.

Tanahashi and Nakamura they ain't.

I will say, I enjoyed Orton saying stuff like "YOU SHOULDNT BE CHANTING FOR HIM (Bryan) YOU SHOULD BE CHANTING FOR ME". They could have done something with that, but whatever.

Anth0ny

Randomly on the root folder of my external hard drive was the January 31, 2000 edition of Raw. Pure coincidence that it was almost exactly 14 years ago today. It was also in Pittsburgh. the fuck.

I click play, and the first people to come out... WWF Tag Team Champions, the New Age Outlaws.

Too good.

HOLY SHIT. THEY TURNED DOWN THE CROWD MICS FOR DANIEL.

God damn, it literally sounds like John got a louder "Entrance" pop than Daniel. Fucking WWE.

image.php

UberTag

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87QI3QVjqAI

More happy fan footage!!!

EDIT: Holy christ everyone is so gutted at everything, it's actually quite fascinating.
It's all good. D.Brine's in the Elimination Chamber match for the title at the next pay-per-view. He's going to win the title and face Batista at WrestleMania XXX. It's going to be spectacular. He's finally going to get his opport-

<cackles maniacally> I can't even type that bullshit with a straight face.

strobogo

Banned
What do you guys think Vince had rewritten 2 hours before the show started? Probably the opening and ending segments right?

Sting vs Undertaker being set up, Bork winning the title, Punk and Kane in a HIAC, HHH and Stephanie live love making jubilation.

Call me stubborn or entitled, but having Bryan winning the title in any place that isn't Mania just feels so hollow to me. Seriously, every person in the building was awaiting the road to not just Wrestlemania, but the road for Daniel Bryan's true payoff of finally achieving his dreams and many others who wanna see it (barring some people here who disagree but that's neither here nor there) It was the closest they have ever been to the beginning of that angle and to have it snatched away is completely insulting.

So Bryan winning the title Chamber just seems so hollow. Like giving the dog a bone but the company still gets its way and believes you'll like anything. But we don't.

I really wanna know the morale in the locker room. Probably the same, probably even worse, we don't know.

Don't nobody care bout D-Bry
7eeP28l.jpg

It's because they want him to TAKE IT at Mania.

"LOL Nope" - Vince or whoever we all hate collectively. I choose Rey.

What do you guys think Vince had rewritten 2 hours before the show started? Probably the opening and ending segments right?

I think he was putting the finishing touches on his state-of-the-art sound altering machine that let's him do for live broadcasts what was previously only possible on tape delayed shows.

He never has to worry about negative crowd reactions anymore, according to some of the most reputable, level-headed posters in this thread.

jWILL253

Banned
So, according to the Wrestle Wrestle link you guys posted a few pages ago, John Cena and Randy Orton fought AGAIN... and apparently the lead-up to the match was Orton punching Cena's dad so hard, he put him in the hospital. Cena responded by treating the match as if it were just another general Cena PPV match, instead of Cena going all Stone-Cold-in-the-supermarket on Orton.

Was that match as big as a misfire as this guy made it sound?

Hey guys, here's something to wash the bad taste of RAW away. There's FOUR iPPVs from Japan in the first two weeks of next month, some awesome looking matches here;

NJPW, "ROAD TO NEW BEGINNING", 2014.02.02
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $15

18:30 JST | 10:30 EU | 09:30 UK | 04:30 EST | 01:30 PST

01. Yohei Komatsu & Sho Tanaka vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi)
02. Jushin 'Thunder' Liger, Tiger Mask & BUSHI vs CHAOS (Yujiro Takahashi, YOSHI-HASHI & Jado)
03. Tomoaki Honma & Captain New Japan vs CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka)
04. TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima) & El Desperado vs Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi & Kota Ibushi
05. Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
06. Ryusuke Taguchi Return Match: Togi Makabe, Time Splitters (Alex Shelley, KUSHIDA) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale & The Young Bucks)
07. Special 6-Man Tag: Hiroyoshi Tanahashi, Hirooki Goto & Tetsuya Naito vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada, Shinsuke Nakamura & Tomohiro Ishii)

Dragon Gate, "TRUTH GATE", 2014.02.06
Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

www.ustream.tv/DragonGate - $15

18:30 JST | 10:30 EU | 09:30 UK | 04:30 EST | 01:30 PST

1. Jimmyz (Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!! & Jimmy Kagetora) vs. CIMA & U-T
2. Oretachi Veteran-gun (Don Fujii & Kenichiro Arai) vs. Shachihoko BOY & Chihiro Tominaga
3. Lumberjack Whip Match: Yosuke&#9825;Santa Maria vs. Gamma
4. Kotoka & Ryotsu Shimizu vs. Mad Blankey (Mondai Ryu & Kzy)
5. Oretachi Veteran-gun (K-ness, Dragon Kid & Super Shisa) vs. Monster Express (Akira Tozawa, Shingo Takagi & Uhaa Nation)
6. Masato Yoshino & Masaaki Mochizuki vs. T-Hawk & X
7. JIMMYZ vs MAD BLANKEY Oedo Elimination Match: Jimmy Susumu, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Kanda & Mr. Quu Quu Tanizaki Naoki Toyonaka Dolphin vs. YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Naruki Doi & Cyber Kong

Rules for the elimination match;

Both teams will be placed at separate locations up in the stands. After a countdown, both sides will send one competitor to the ring in 90 second intervals. The match will be done under battle royal elimination rules until all 8 participants have entered. At that point, over the top rope eliminations will be removed, and will be changed to pin or submission only.

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN HIROSHIMA", 2014.02.09
Sun Plaza Hall, Hiroshima

www.ustream.tv/njpw - $25

15:00 JST | 07:00 EU | 06:00 UK | 01:00 EST | 22:00 PST

01. Kota Ibushi & BUSHI vs Jushin 'Thunder' Liger & El Desperado
02. Minoru Suzuki vs Tama Tonga
03. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs CHAOS (Toru Yano & Takashi Iizuka)
04. Special Singles Match: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Michael Tarver
05. NWA World Heavyweight Title: Satoshi Kojima © vs Big Daddy Yum Yum
06. Special Tag Match: Tetsuya Naito & Tomoaki Honma vs CHAOS (Yujiro Takahashi & Tomohiro Ishii)
07. Special Eight Man Tag Match: Togi Makabe, Time Splitters (Alex Shelley, KUSHIDA) & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt, Bad Luck Fale & The Young Bucks)
08. Special Tag Match: Hirooki Goto Katsuyori Shibata vs CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada & YOSHI-HASHI)
09. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Hiroshi Tanahashi © vs Shinsuke Nakamura

NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2014.02.11
BODYMAKER Colossem, Osaka

17:00 JST | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 03:00 EST | 00:00 PST

01. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
02. Katsuyori Shibata vs YOSHI-HASHI
03. Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale)
04. Special Six-Man Tag Match: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
05. NWA World Tag Team Title Contendership: TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs Michael Tarver & Big Daddy Yum Yum
06. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
07. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Yujiro Takahashi)
08. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs El Desperado
09. NEVER Openweight Title: Tetsuya Naito © vs Tomohiro Ishii
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Hirooki Goto

If you had to order only one of these next month, I'd definitely go for the New Beginning in Osaka - the Road to New Beginning show looks like it could be fun and I'm betting that main event will prove to be great, but there's nothing terribly exciting on paper. The Dragon Gate show looks...odd, but I'll probably end up ordering it anyway, they're usually worth the asking price. New Beginning in Hiroshima is a total one match show and I'm betting Tanahashi & Nakamura better their Wrestle Kingdom match-up. Elsewhere, the Shibata vs Okada interations should be fun in the semi-main event and Tama Tonga's gonna die at the hands of Suzuki, but Tenzan vs Tarver and Kojima vs whatever the fuck Big Daddy Yum Yum is both sound really, really bad. New Beginning in Osaka is pretty stacked in the second half, all four title matches should prove to be excellent. Not looking forward to more Gracies nonsense, though. Also, YOSHI-HASHI will get murdered by Shibata.

Predictions for the title matches, hmmm, Kojima & Tanahashi to retain, Bucks to retain, Ibushi to retain, Ishii wins the NEVER belt, Goto wins the IWGP Heavyweight belt. That's more with my heart than my head, though. I want Goto to finally get his shot, even if it's only a transitional title reign. Also, Ishii needs gold, the NEVER title's a good start, but it's dead weight for a guy like Naito who needs to be rebuilt for bigger, better things.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Call me stubborn or entitled, but having Bryan winning the title in any place that isn't Mania just feels so hollow to me. Seriously, every person in the building was awaiting the road to not just Wrestlemania, but the road for Daniel Bryan's true payoff of finally achieving his dreams and many others who wanna see it (barring some people here who disagree but that's neither here nor there) It was the closest they have ever been to the beginning of that angle and to have it snatched away is completely insulting.

So Bryan winning the title Chamber just seems so hollow. Like giving the dog a bone but the company still gets its way and believes you'll like anything. But we don't.

I agree. And hell, even if Bryan wins at mania now, to me, the momentum is gone. I can't bring myself to care. Hell, I can't even enjoy his match with Wyatt from last night anymore.

tumblr_inline_n03b1homu81qg52fu.jpg

So, according to the Wrestle Wrestle link you guys posted a few pages ago, John Cena and Randy Orton fought AGAIN... and apparently the lead-up to the match was Orton punching Cena's dad so hard, he put him in the hospital. Cena responded by treating the match as if it were just another general Cena PPV match, instead of Cena going all Stone-Cold-in-the-supermarket on Orton.

Was that match as big as a misfire as this guy made it sound?

You HAVE to watch the match for yourself. This is one of those things you have to see to believe. Misfire doesn't even come close to describing it.

These are the two "faces" of the company, and the crowd basically killed the match before it even started. If that wasn't bad enough, like you said, it was just a standard run of the mill singles match. The crowd went from cheering for Daniel Bryan to just plain yelling "You both suck" at Cena and Orton.

And if you thought that sounded bad, you should have seen the rumble. By the time the show ended, anyone not named Daniel Bryan was a heel in the eyes of the audience. And even then, it was less heel heat and more "Fuck this Company" heat.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
:(

Just trying to peddle a quality wrasslin' product to the dissatisfied masses, friend bean.

Any chance of an OT for New Beginning boots? The WK8 thread did fairly well. Plus with how dissatisfied a lot of people were about the Rumble, next month could be the start of a new beginning (har har) for Wrasslegaf.

Next week is going to be the true test of shitty crowds, Omaha Nebraska.
oh lord. when was the last time they had a RAW there? when was the last time they had anything there?
I assume Sandow is getting repackaged soon. His promo before the Rumble, his quick elimination and reaction, and then not being on or mentioned on Raw makes me think he's probably going to be taken off TV for a while and given a tweaked gimmick. Probably more vicious or something. I wouldn't be surprised to not see him until after Mania.
ugh, wrestler with a MEAN STREAK. Our heels have too much personality, time to take it ALL away!
NJPW, "NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 2014.02.11
BODYMAKER Colossem, Osaka

17:00 JST | 09:00 EU | 08:00 UK | 03:00 EST | 00:00 PST

01. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Time Splitters (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
02. Katsuyori Shibata vs YOSHI-HASHI
03. Special Tag Match: Togi Makabe & Ryusuke Taguchi vs Bullet Club (Prince Devitt & Bad Luck Fale)
04. Special Six-Man Tag Match: Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows & Tama Tonga) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr)
05. NWA World Tag Team Title Contendership: TenKoji (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Satoshi Kojima) vs Michael Tarver & Big Daddy Yum Yum
06. Special Tag Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
07. Special Tag Match: Hiroshi Tanahashi & Jushin 'Thunder' Liger vs CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura & Yujiro Takahashi)
08. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Kota Ibushi © vs El Desperado
09. NEVER Openweight Title: Tetsuya Naito © vs Tomohiro Ishii
10. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Hirooki Goto
what the shit is "big daddy yum yum"

Young Bucks vs. Time Splitters could be fun as hell though. and where the hell are my Ricky Morton NWA Jr Title defenses

Zertez

I think it was smart to limit the time Batista had tonight. After the boos last night, the last thing they need is more fans hating him when they wanted him as a face at least till WM. They let Lesnar do most of the work and had the crowd hating him even more.

As much as Im looking forward to see the Shield break up to watch Reigns solo matches, Im just as excited to see Seth Rollins without the Shield. I know many hardcore wrestling fans appreciate his in ring work, but he is very under rated by most. His mic work isnt the best, but his in ring work is great at times. He is able to hit spots that most of the roster cant. One good thing to come out of the Daniel Bryan/Punk vs the Shield is the trust they have for Seth Rollins. If given the time and spotlight, I think Bryan and Rollins have the ability to have some classic matches.

Just watching Yuji Nagata beat the living piss out of KENTA;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7weWzBzWtQ

Basically, KENTA took liberties with Taguchi and kept hitting him really hard, only to find that he couldn't pull the same shit with Nagata. Look out for that shoot headbutt 20 seconds in that busts KENTA open, followed by a vicious slap that sends KENTA all glassy eyed. KENTA seems to think the way to get Nagata to sell for him is to keep hitting him harder, while Akiyama just watches on with a "you got yourself into this mess..." look on his face.

Any chance of an OT for New Beginning boots? The WK8 thread did fairly well. Plus with how dissatisfied a lot of people were about the Rumble, next month could be the start of a new beginning (har har) for Wrasslegaf.

I hadn't thought about doing one, but I guess I could put an OT together if there's interest - what say you, New Japan GAF?

Serpentine said:
what the shit is "big daddy yum yum"

This is, apparently;

xAG6f1I.jpg

See, this is the trouble with the NWA. Not only are they bringing in gaijins the Japanese fans have never heard of, the majority of the international fans have never heard of them either - at least if New Japan were working with ROH there'd be SOME name recognition among the internet fans, rather than confusion at a ridiculously named wrestler no one outside of Texas has heard of and some WWE cast-off who was on TV for all of five minutes.

Hasney

Just watching Raw now. When Lesnar came down, I think that was the closest to orgasm Michael Cole has ever been saying "Ohhhhhhh Myyyyy".

EDIT: ROFL at the watchwrestling parts. Paul Heyman with the mic: "My client BROCK" (end of video 1, play video 2) "LESNARRRRR".

EDIT2: Oh shit, I have a reason to watch Smackdown.

Vestal

Gold Member

I really wanna know the morale in the locker room. Probably the same, probably even worse, we don't know.

It's because they want him to TAKE IT at Mania.

"LOL Nope" - Vince or whoever we all hate collectively. I choose Rey.

simple fix

Bork Orton Brian final 3. Shenanigans. Title frozen or Orton keeps. Authority forces 4 man tourney at wm for title.

everyone fucking wins.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Hey guys. Am I the only one that thinks that wrestling was bad last night and the nigh before and the week before and the week before that?
Like and subscribe if you agree!

Taker needs to retire, no doubt, but as old as he is, Sting is SIX YEARS older. And as far as most people are aware, he hasn't wrestled in 13 years. He doesn't even have a finisher that he can use in WWE!

He might get a Hall of Fame spot and maybe a match with Dean Ambrose, but they're not going to put him against Taker at Wrestlemania. It would have no heat since it's obvious that he'd lose, it wouldn't draw since nobody fucking cares about Sting except marks in their mid to late 20s, and last of all the match would suck because he can't fucking go.

The only thing Sting has going for him right now is that there's a new Robocop movie coming out.

yet probably in better shape than Taker
I just watched his last match and HAHAHHA, no.

FyreWulff

Next week is going to be the true test of shitty crowds, Omaha Nebraska.

Omaha is a wrestling town. The crowd was raucus and did smarky ass shit. It's hard to tell when Vince can mute you on the TV, though.

oh lord. when was the last time they had a RAW there? when was the last time they had anything there?

RAW was here a couple of years ago, on Memorial Day, I went to it. We also host the College World Series, the Olympic swim trials, have the nations #1 Zoo, the nation's largest private bank, and Warren Buffet owns half the city.

Well, ummm... they had the Nebraska State Fair back in August of last year. This shit looks plenty exciting. They had piglet races, tractor pulls and chicks wearing grapes. What's not to love?

CtG3F.jpg

Omaha has around a million people living in it's metropolitan area. Nobody goes to the state fair.

Omaha is also the hometown of Sting.

UberTag

Omaha has around a million people living in it's metropolitan area. Nobody goes to the state fair.
Nobody goes to the state fair? Awwww. I was excited about it. That website made it look like lots of fun.
They race riding lawnmowers. There's a demolition derby. You can ride camels. And there's Bucky the Clown. C'mon FyreWulff... Bucky the Clown!

Sweet Lupita Nyong'o avatar, btw. You have excellent taste, my friend.

Hasney

Piglet races sounds amazing. It's on the same level of wrestling in terms of class of entertainment.

Unless it's all a work and the pre-determine which piglet will win.

Ithil

The entire opening segment, for starters. I imagine it was originally opening with Batista and Orton with no major Bryan segment.

Top Bottom