• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

epmode

I've had mixed results trying to move in a battle. Sometimes it just doesn't work if I've already engaged an enemy. :(

Once you're in melee range with a single enemy, you can't move.

By the way, is there a way to move once you've already engaged an enemy WITHOUT killing the enemy first? I know there's an air spell that pushes an enemy back but they just move back into range as soon as your turn is over, blocking you from moving the next turn.

edit:

Sleep is your friend in those cases. Works wonders to tranq melee attackers so that I can move and deal with the ranged buggers upclose and personal. Bugs out at times though.

Sleep allows you to move even if they're in melee range? Can that spell get any more useful? I love it. Saved my ass against blackguards several times.

AzureSky

I've had mixed results trying to move in a battle. Sometimes it just doesn't work if I've already engaged an enemy. :(

it only works if no enemy is directly beside you and noone from your party used up this turn to do something. You should always be able to move if there is a free space around you.

vocab

I completely obliterated the jail area and the dark shard boss. I don't even get hit anymore. Really silly stuff.

garath

Once you're in melee range with a single enemy, you can't move.

By the way, is there a way to move once you've already engaged an enemy WITHOUT killing the enemy first? I know there's an air spell that pushes an enemy back but they just move back into range as soon as your turn is over, blocking you from moving the next turn.

edit:

Sleep allows you to move even if they're in melee range? Can that spell get any more useful? I love it. Saved my ass against blackguards several times.

it only works if no enemy is directly beside you and noone from your party used up this turn to do something. You should always be able to move if there is a free space around you.

Ok. Expected behavior. Good to know. It's the ambushes that get me. Melee guys pop up on 2 sides and ranged on another. Owie. I pull through though! Yay Might and Magic.

Arkeus

is there any protection against feeble minded? Any blackfang I meet is an instaloss since they use it a 100% on my healer. :X

The Crag sells rings/Amulet of clarity regularly (100% protection against feebleminded). Maybe Karthal too, not certain.

birdchili

there's an earth spell that prevents an enemy from moving on the next turn. air pushback, earth stay-put, move somewhere.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I crossed the 40 hour mark and I'm just after getting to the Crag. Definitely getting my money's worth.

The Dream Shard dungeon that came with the deluxe edition, is that available yet? The bonus content from that version seems kind of mysterious in how to access it.

Jag

I think I have a serious bug. I'm in the Prison to rescue the guy, but I don't have a free hireling spot because one is a quest guy that I can't fire (and gives 10% xp) and the other is the horse and I have 2 full bags of stuff. The whole thing is greyed out and I can't even hit escape.

I may have to reload to an earlier save and get rid of the horse maybe?

vocab

I think I have a serious bug. I'm in the Prison to rescue the guy, but I don't have a free hireling spot because one is a quest guy that I can't fire (and gives 10% xp) and the other is the horse and I have 2 full bags of stuff. The whole thing is greyed out and I can't even hit escape.

I may have to reload to an earlier save and get rid of the horse maybe?

Probably gonna have to manually dismiss the horse before the dialogue. I fired my alchemy lady during that dialog and that reminds me to recruit the healer or the defender hireling next time I boot it up.

Jag

Probably gonna have to manually dismiss the horse before the dialogue. I fired my alchemy lady during that dialog and that reminds me to recruit the healer or the defender hireling next time I boot it up.

He literally has a full inventory of stuff. I guess I don't really need the gold anymore.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

_DrMario_

Wow i just killed the cyclops that's in the cave at the beginning and I'm glad I didn't waste too much time on him... only 40 exp and crap loot.

On the other hand fighting him made me realize my Defender is pretty much unstoppable.

Raggie

Sorry for getting a little off-topic again, but I wrote a list of recommended gridder RPGs somewhere else, and thought I'd repost it since it might be of some use for you too. This is by no means a comprehensive list. It includes games I've either played myself, or have been praised a lot by others.

PSP (Vita compatible)

-Elminage: Original. The reviews were very poor because the localization was terrible. The problems were fixed in a later patch, so feel free to ignore the review scores. E:O is actually a terrific Wizardry clone.

-Class of Heroes 2. This game suffered from the bad reputation of the first game in the series, but everyone seems to agree the second game is heaps better than the first one, and quite a good Wizardry-like.

Vita

-Demon Gaze. It's not out yet, but it's very popular in Japan, and importers like it a lot.

DS/3DS

-Etrian Odyssey series. The general consensus is that you can skip the first game. The series is mainly known for the very high difficulty level, but the newer ones are more newbie-friendly.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. I can't say much about this one since I haven't played it, except that it's gotten good reviews and it has a futuristic setting.

-Orcs & Elves. Unlike all the games above, this is not a Wizardry-like. It's much more streamlined, and it doesn't have random encounters (you can see the monsters in the dungeon). It's not very pretty or long, but it's a fun little snack.

iPhone/iPod

-Doom 2 RPG. Made by the same guys as the previous game on the list, so it's very similar. Surprisingly very good.

-Undercroft. Fairly similar to the two games above. Very good, and completely FREE!

PC

-The Legend of Grimrock. Not a Wizardry-like but a Dungeon Master-like, which means it has less emphasis on character building and more on puzzles. Real-time combat. If you like these things, this game is highly recommended.

-Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos. Like the game above, it's a Dungeon Master clone. An oldie, but still pretty and very easy to get into. Perfect for newbies as well. You can buy this from www.gog.com.

-Might and Magic 3-5. Turn-based combat, no random encounters, open sandbox world. The puzzles come in the form of riddles, not environmental puzzles like in Dungeon Master clones. The emphasis is on exploration. These are very old games, but they have aged surprisingly well and are some of the finest gridders available. Definitely recommended. You can buy the Might and Magic 6-pack, which includes these games, from www.gog.com.

vocab

Vita

-Demon Gaze. It's not out yet, but it's very popular in Japan, and importers like it a lot.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. I can't say much about this one since I haven't played it, except that it's gotten good reviews and it has a futuristic setting.

Thanks I'll check out demon gaze. Also the smt series is fantastic, and strange journey is a great game.

I wish i could recommend wizardry to people, but they are rough. Wizardry 8 is the closest thing to recommend, but it has a learning curve and a very overwhelming character creation system.

Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land (PS2) and Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (PS3 via PSN) are both great. I prefer both to Elminage Original and SMT: Strange Journey.

Thanks for the list! I'll look up Undercroft and Orcs & Elves.

Edit: I discovered an iPhone port of Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls last week but I don't know if it's any good.

KePoW

Banned
Is Uplay down for anyone right now? I launch from Steam but it pops up the Uplay login window and says it's down and won't let me play...

Holy shit, this game is grid based again?! Why do I only know about this awesome feature now?!

I haven't played a Might & Magic game since MM4 and 5 (two RPGs I play through basically every year at least once)... Never was interested in any of the games bayond that and the Heroes games just weren't my type of genre.

Is this game easily moddable? I have no experience in modding whatsoever but if this is not that hard to mod I'd buy this game just to make a Xeen mod with it. And then play through that multiple times.

Raggie

Nice list.

i know whats listed here is not all blobbers but this thread that StoppedInTracks made a couple years ago is a great resource for 1st person dungeon crawlers. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469298 Although the thread has died off and its not exactly orderly due to the additions it is pretty definitive.

Thanks for the link. The list actually included one gridder I didn't know about, Yendorian Tales 3: Tyrants of Thaine. It looks interesting, a lot like Might and Magic 3-5.

Moff

Wow i just killed the cyclops that's in the cave at the beginning and I'm glad I didn't waste too much time on him... only 40 exp and crap loot.

On the other hand fighting him made me realize my Defender is pretty much unstoppable.

are you sure?
isnt there a chest with a relic in there?
dont know which one though.

Knurek

Thanks for the link. The list actually included one gridder I didn't know about, Yendorian Tales 3: Tyrants of Thaine. It looks interesting, a lot like Might and Magic 3-5.

Since the original poster for that thread was Polish (you can see that in the paper maps he posted somewhere there), it's no wonder he heard about the game. It was pimped a lot in one of our main gaming mags, Gambler.

I haven't played this game but I have played the Etrian Odyssey games and all the old school Might and Magic games (1 through 7) and I have to say that the two play quite different. EO is based on combat and map-making while M&M is generally more focused on exploration and adventure. Combat was never something you really had to min/max in M&M where in EO if you don't min/max you're screwed. EO is more like the old-school Wizardry games (1-5). i.e. it's essentially a mapping game with combat in it.

Raggie

Since the original poster for that thread was Polish (you can see that in the paper maps he posted somewhere there), it's no wonder he heard about the game. It was pimped a lot in one of our main gaming mags, Gambler.

I gave it a quick try, and actually it seems like a good game. I think I'm going to give it a full playthrough. Definitely a MM clone, but there's nothing wrong with that.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Diving into this tonight...I've never played any games in this series and don't know much about it. Anything I should know in order to make my learning and transition smooth and less painless?

Moff

Diving into this tonight...I've never played any games in this series and don't know much about it. Anything I should know in order to make my learning and transition smooth and less painless?

are you aware that you are moving on squares?
I definitely dont know how people like this when havent been used to it in the past

Raggie

I haven't played a Might & Magic game since MM4 and 5 (two RPGs I play through basically every year at least once)... Never was interested in any of the games bayond that and the Heroes games just weren't my type of genre.

Is this game easily moddable? I have no experience in modding whatsoever but if this is not that hard to mod I'd buy this game just to make a Xeen mod with it. And then play through that multiple times.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the level editor is coming up with a future update.

If you play Xeen every year, that's probably reason enough to buy MMX. :) And if you want a gridder level editor, you can get one with Grimrock. I hear some people are/were doing Eye of the Beholder on it...

garath

Woot. Just entered Act III last night. Decided I'm going to find that sword relic. Enjoying surviving the encounters that I had troubles with before.

Starting to really need those class promos though. My runepriest is ready for GM fire, my bladedancer is ready for GM sword and GM dual wield. My Freemage has 11 skill points she's just sitting on because I want to see which school spells I want the most. But still needs an air Master trainer.

I guess I need to make it to Karthal to get the next step up in spells? My spellcasters are pretty much just buffers now so my bladedancer can kill everything.

I wish I could scroll the damn map. I keep making notes on where I find those oddball GM trainers on the map but can't see it unless I'm close lol.

Moff

Holy shit, this game is grid based again?! Why do I only know about this awesome feature now?!

I would pay full price for a world of xeen MMX "mod"

Nice list.

i know whats listed here is not all blobbers but this thread that StoppedInTracks made a couple years ago is a great resource for 1st person dungeon crawlers. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=469298 Although the thread has died off and its not exactly orderly due to the additions it is pretty definitive.

Heyooooooooo. It is very nice that someone remembers that thread o mine :)

It is a 100% clone of M&M3-5. Like every single gameplay/ engine thing is 100% the same except for monsters, maps, spells and weapons which are new.

It is an amazing little game. I hate replaying games because I remember all the maps and encounters and the plot etc. so finding out Yendorian Tales 3 was a God send. So good that it is the only game in my 25+ years gaming history that I've replayed more than once. Five times to be exact.

You could rename YT3 as M&M7: M&M3-5 Edition and treat it like a M&M game.

So worth it.

BTW did you know there is a semi-official M&M6 game based on the M&M5 engine? It is called M&M6: Swords of Xeen. It uses the same engine and the same graphics but it is a totally original M&M title - new overworld, new dungeons etc. Definitely worth it for M&M fanatics like me.

http://mightandmagic.wikia.com/wiki/Might_and_Magic:_Swords_of_Xeen

Here's the final dungeon part in YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40ziPiMUcGQ

I don't remember reading a single thing about this game in Gambler/ Secret Service/ Świat Gier Komputerowych/ Top Secret etc. I've learned about it from Russian abandonware scene.

Jag

Woot. Just entered Act III last night. Decided I'm going to find that sword relic. Enjoying surviving the encounters that I had troubles with before.

Starting to really need those class promos though. My runepriest is ready for GM fire, my bladedancer is ready for GM sword and GM dual wield. My Freemage has 11 skill points she's just sitting on because I want to see which school spells I want the most. But still needs an air Master trainer.

I guess I need to make it to Karthal to get the next step up in spells? My spellcasters are pretty much just buffers now so my bladedancer can kill everything.

I wish I could scroll the damn map. I keep making notes on where I find those oddball GM trainers on the map but can't see it unless I'm close lol.

I have the same issue except it's not really slowing me down much.

I have put some many hours into this game already. It scratched a gaming itch I didn't even know I had. I'm enjoying the journey so much, I don't want it to end!

eXistor

Yeah, this is by far my favorite game of the year so far. Kinda came out of left field for me too; I knew it was coming and I even had it pre-ordered, but I wasn't really following the game's development or anything. The year is still young of course, but I'm definitely reserving a place in my top 10 come goty awards.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but I think the level editor is coming up with a future update.

If you play Xeen every year, that's probably reason enough to buy MMX. :) And if you want a gridder level editor, you can get one with Grimrock. I hear some people are/were doing Eye of the Beholder on it...

Sounds good to me! I don't like the party limitation to 4 characters, though. Seriously one of the reasons I never bothered with MM6 onwards.

I would pay full price for a world of xeen MMX "mod"
Me too, man. Me too.

Woah, Polish gaming mags had awesome names.

Is MM3 worth paying alongside World of Xeen? Never tried it back in the day.

I just played the original again. I don't have the slightest clue how spells work anymore. :p I revert to ignorance that way with spells in Ultima games too. Fucking regeants.

Actually...I find MM3 a bit confusing and hard, but that's because I started with MM4 and 5. Playing MM3 afterwards felt like a HUGE step backwards, which it essentially is. The Xeen games updated the gameplay significantly and I never wanted to go back. Or forward for that matter :p

Actually...I find MM3 a bit confusing and hard, but that's because I started with MM4 and 5. Playing MM3 afterwards felt like a HUGE step backwards, which it essentially is. The Xeen games updated the gameplay significantly and I never wanted to go back. Or forward for that matter :p

Was MM3 really a step backward from Xeen? I thought it did some things better.

Xeen doesn't have hirelings, and it also dumbed down/abandoned the old item mod style. You couldn't find "leather robes of arrows," it was only modifier + item. Or in the case of weapons, some very few suffixes like Monster Masher, 3X damage on monster-type enemies.

Top Bottom