• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters '98 UM Final Edition |OT| There are no Ducks here, only Geese

OmegaDL50

ZZLaHCn.jpg

Developer: SNK Playmore (Ported by Code Mystics using the XBLA version KOF98UM as a base)
Platform: PC (Steam)
Release Date: 12/16/2014
Price: $14.99
Genre: Fighting

Ie3znIQ.png

As like other main KOF entries, this game is still about classic 3 on 3 team based fighting. Much like KOF98 revisions previously the game uses both the Advanced Mode and Extra Mode gauge mechanics and a new hybrid called Ultimate mode that was added in Ultimate Match.

Advanced Mode

• Health Gauge - Green in Advanced Mode
  • Power Gauge - Uses Power Stocks. You can build up to 3 stocks. Super Moves (Desperation Moves) use 1 Power Stock, Super Desperation Moves use all three stocks outside of MAX Mode. You gain meter by connecting with normal and command normals both on hit or block, Using special moves (both launching and connecting), and receiving damage (excludes normal throws)
  • Forward Run - double tap forward and hold the direction to run, in KOF98 you will stop at a certain distance. Dashing can be canceled by attacking or jumping, but not by crouching or blocking. Running animations can also be used as a buffer, such as Goro's HCF command grab while moving forward.
  • Rolling - Pressing LP+LK simultaneously will roll the character forward, Pressing Back plus LP+LK will do a roll backwards. Rolls have some frame invincibility at start up which allows them to be used as a wake up reversal. Rolls are vulnerable during the end of their animation and can't ignore throws.
  • Emergency Roll - Pressing LP+LK while blocking an attack acts like an option select that allows you to immediately roll during block animation. It's useful for getting out of the corner to avoid additional chip damage. An Emergency Roll uses up 1 stock of your power gauge, even in MAX mode.
  • MAX Mode Activation - Pressing LP+LK+SP simultaneously will activate MAX mode. This uses one Power Stock. During MAX mode attacks get a damage bonus of 25% and have more pushback on hit. Desperation Moves used during MAX mode will become Super Desperation Moves.
Extra Mode

• Health Gauge – Yellow in Extra Mode, At critical health (Flashing yellow and red), you can freely perform Desperation Moves. After using a Desperation Move your health will stop flashing with a cooldown period before it starts flashing again signifying you can use another Desperation Move
  • Extra Gauge – Gauge needs to be charged manually by pressing and holding LP+LK+SP while on the ground. Extra Gauge also charges slightly for receiving damage or blocking attacks, excludes throw damage. Maxing your gauge does not make you go automatically into MAX Mode like in the original KOF '98. With a full meter you can perform any action that uses stock such as a Desperation Move. At Critical Health and in MAX Mode you can perform a Super Desperation Move.
  • Front Step – double tapping forward will cause a character to quickly move forward, double tapping back will do a Back Step. Step Dashes can be canceled by some aerial specials as an offensive tool.
  • Dodge – Pressing LP+LK will cause the character to side step into the background with temporary invincibility frames excluding throws. During an Evasion by pressing P or K will cancel the evade into an unique attack which can be canceled into some special moves or Desperation Moves
  • Quick MAX – With a full Extra Gauge pressing LP+LK+SP during a normal or special will reduce recovery of that move while simultaneously entering MAX Mode. This allows for interesting combo opportunities that aren't normally possible due to the reduced recovery frames.
Ultimate Mode

• Ultimate Mode allows you mix and match features of Advanced or Extra Mode as follows
  • Forward Run or Front Step
  • Roll or Dodge
  • Advanced or Extra Gauge
  • Defeated characters transfer remaining stock to next team member regardless of meter selection
Picking an options such as Forward Run, Roll, and Advanced is no different than picking Advanced as those are the default options in Advanced Mode. The same applies to Front Step, Dodge, and Extra Gauge for the default options of Extra Mode.

So5LDZm.png

Hero Team________________________________Fatal Fury Team
7TjxB80.png
ad6lxPG.png

_____Kyo*________Benimaru______Daimon_________Terry*________Andy*__________Joe*

Art of Fighting Team________________________Ikari Team
R7yutV8.png
qcsS3en.png

_____Ryo*_________Robert*________Yuri*_________Leona*________Ralf__________Clark

Psycho Soldier Team_______________________Women's Team
C9QrFU0.png
SrkwMU8.png

____Athena_______Kensou__________Chin_________Chizuru________Mai*__________King*

Kim Team________________________________Orochi Team
pGGQWEC.png
43qzdgG.png

_____Kim_________Chang__________Choi_________Yashiro*______Shermie*________Chris*

‘97 Special Team__________________________Yagami Team
b9NZKaG.png
hBeBPfU.png

__Yamazaki*________Mary__________Billy*__________Iori*__________Mature________Vice

Masters Team_____________________________ USA Team
MSw87Wk.png
Av2PJTv.png

____Heidern_______Takuma________Saisyu_______Heavy D!________Lucky _________Brian

Edit Team________________________________‘96 Boss Team
u19ChoP.png
6pnvqjX.png

______Eiji_________Kasumi________Shingo________Geese*_______Krauser________Mr. Big

Bosses
QSGJpMJ.png

____Orochi________Rugal*________Goenitz

EX / Alternate Characters can be picked by holding the select / back button on a specific character, the portrait of the character will change to their EX version. Characters denoted with an asterisk (*) next to their names have EX versions.

wMh1WXV.png

Netplay based on frame delay instead of rollback :(
System changes:
- recovery after charging in Extra mode has been standardized across the cast
- can no longer recovery roll after being guard crushed in mid-air
Character Balance changes: Click here for information

AAU4pmv.png

Contains an original Neo-Geo AES port of King of Fighters '98
The Challenge mode comprised of 30 individual challenges

9IgLSRs.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQnK47qo5FA - Steam Announcement Trailer

OmegaDL50

Sorry for the underscores separating some of the text. I couldn't figure out to add many spaces on a single line in the characters section.

A big thanks to Tizoc for his help in suggestions in the thread.

I did an okay job for my first OT...I think.

Tizoc

Put the images in Quote tags since they're too big ;)
Alt. rehost them on abload.de, which offer thumbnails for the images.

Other than that, good job on the OT, and I am soooooooooo hype to play this game!

Guilty Gear Xrd, Omega USF4, KOF 98 UM all back to backk I am in FG bliss XoX

OmegaDL50

Well I got the game as a Birthday gift, so I really have no complaints, but I would be really disappointed if they did botch the netcode.

Then the delay happened on the 12th pushing the release day to today, ironic really because if it was any other Birthday gift, I wouldn't get until today anyways.

My favorite KOF easily. Being able to play the Ultimate Match version with revised balance changes without loading up my PS2 or resorting to emulation is kind of nice.

Well it's go time in 30 minutes, folks!

Well I got the game as a Birthday gift, so I really have no complaints, but I would be really disappointed if they did botch the netcode.

Then the delay happened on the 12th pushing the release day to today, ironic really because if it was any other Birthday gift, I wouldn't get until today anyways.

My favorite KOF easily. Being able to play the Ultimate Match version with revised balance changes without loading up my PS2 or resorting to emulation is kind of nice.

Well it's go time in 30 minutes, folks!
Yeah most of my playing of 98 comes from the original, I actually never played any of 98UM. I think I'll check this thread on and off though to see if the netcode is decent. I have money set aside for it anyway.

OmegaDL50

I wonder if the game is going to be reviewed? I should probably add a Review section and if the Netcode just happens to be something half way decent, maybe links if a match making thread is made.

Well, I'll wait and see. This release doesn't seem to be released with much fanfare. I suppose the lack of GGPO mentioned is probably the main detracting point.

Haven't played this in ages. Will probably pick it up tonight but don't know when I'll be able to get any games in with GGXRD also hitting today.

I was just about to ask if there is always a fued between KoF 98 and 2002 as to which one is better, then I remembered that 2002 wasn't good, at least to me and most people I know, until 2002UM came out. Meanwhile 98 was just always good.

Ninja Dom

Subscribing, nice OT.

Such a shame I don't have a gaming PC. But I wanna read how you're all getting along with this game. I'm a master at standard 98. I've never played this before.

OmegaDL50

To some, KOF2k2UM is the better game.

I still prefer 98 though. Well it won't matter much by mid January anyways because both 98UMFE and 2k2UM will be on Steam so the best of both worlds.

The only thing that could make it even better is if they could somehow re-release KOFXI on Steam with all of the bonus chars from NGBC throw in like the PS2 version. Although a matter of balance is questionable.

Still more KOF is always good right?

if XI and NGBC make it to Steam, DAS IT MANE!

anyways great OT. I'm definitely down to get games in with KOFGAF.

Steam: selfReg

To some, KOF2k2UM is the better game.

I still prefer 98 though. Well it won't matter much by mid January anyways because both 98UMFE and 2k2UM will be on Steam so the best of both worlds.

The only thing that could make it even better is if they could somehow re-release KOFXI on Steam with all of the bonus chars from NGBC throw in like the PS2 version. Although a matter of balance is questionable.

Still more KOF is always good right?
I like both of them really. I would like 11 as I never got to play it. More KoF is always good.

IronLich

Good fucking lord, between this and Omega Mode and Xrd, it's the finest Holiday Season for any fighting game fan.

R.I.P. 98 GGPO. You've been a fun deviation, and I can't wait to come crawling back to you once the netcode is confirmed to be refried ass.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
please have good net code please have good net code please have good net code

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Subscribing, nice OT.

Such a shame I don't have a gaming PC. But I wanna read how you're all getting along with this game. I'm a master at standard 98. I've never played this before.

You don't need a gaming PC to play this, lol.

Look at the specs:

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.8GHz dual core
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: Onboard graphics chipset with 256MB video RAM
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 1 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectSound

This will run perfectly on pretty much anything. If it's a good port, I'm going to be installing this on all three of my PCs and playing it like crazy.

ScOULaris

If the netcode ends up being miraculously decent, I'll bite. I've been wanting a proper KOF98 with netplay for so long, GGPO notwithstanding.

OmegaDL50

Checks Steam Store page

Coming soon
This item is not yet available.

After delaying it for 4 days? Seriously. Code Mystics, why do you do this?

Why did my laptop have to break

Why

I was just about to ask if there is always a fued between KoF 98 and 2002 as to which one is better, then I remembered that 2002 wasn't good, at least to me and most people I know, until 2002UM came out. Meanwhile 98 was just always good.

I'm not sure I'd call it a feud, but I'm 100% sure that there's alwats been a very, very large amount of people prefering 02 to 98 since way before the UMs existed

Exr

Rad OT, love the title. My fucking computer packed it in last night but im curious about the netcode. Already bought it but any impressions you guys have are appreciated...I just want to see how my Yashiro, Geese and Clark do.

I'm not sure I'd call it a feud, but I'm 100% sure that there's alwats been a very, very large amount of people prefering 02 to 98 since way before the UMs existed
Ah didn't know. I mean I know people play vanilla 02 on GGPO but it seemed kinda jank to me, vanilla 02 that is.

Also it's unavailable? Welp.

Honestly I think it's more of a regional thing. At the very least Mexico has been 2002 land ever since it came out.

2k2 is the most played in South America as a whole because of its widespread availability due to bootlegging, from what I remember reading.

also FUCK. C'MON.

I'm 100% sure that there's always been a very, very large amount of people prefering 02 to 98 since way before the UMs existed

Pretty much, the original 2k2 is superior to 2k2UM and any of the 98's.

2k2 was made by Eolith, 2k2UM wasn't. It's simply more balanced and doesn't suffer from ugly upscaled sprites, awful saturated backgrounds and is a better game overall. 2k2UM did a few things better but none of them where gameplay upgrades. I consider 2k2UM a downgrade.

KOF13 is a wreck too. Marvelized comeback mechanic put a lot of ppl off the game and the broken DLC characters didn't help.

IronLich

'98 to me just has everything. The music, the characters, the gameplay variation (Advanced and Extra), there's no overcomplicated HSDM inputs... it's just the perfect honest mainline KOF, and the quintessential entry in the KOF line

Not that I hate 2k2, but 2k2 is not '98.

Ninja Dom

'98 to me just has everything. The music, the characters, the gameplay variation (Advanced and Extra), there's no overcomplicated HSDM inputs... it's just the perfect honest mainline KOF, and the quintessential entry in the KOF line

Not that I hate 2k2, but 2k2 is not '98.

I feel the same way, brother. 2k2 is very good though. But it's not 98.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Why was this delayed from Friday last week?

Top Bottom