• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orioto art thread - New VG wall every thursday!

How about first time encountering the Elusive Man in ME2?

latest

I'm not sure if this would be considered iconic and memorable compared to other moments (not the biggest fan like some of you ITT), but it would look pretty :p

NateDog

There is a lot of gorgeous scenery in Mass Effect. A few things come to mind that may work.

The scene on Eden Prime when Shepard is interacting with the beacon.

The scene on Eden Prime with Sovereign taking off.

The Normandy flying towards Omega.

A view of the Citadel from the perspective of one of the wards as the Normandy is flying in may work.

The part on Ilos where the mako is fighting through Geth Armatures to get to the conduit.

The attack on the Citadel by Sovereign and the Geth.
Shit how did I forget about Ilos? Amazing mission.

Also yeah you should try ME Ori, even with me not loving ME3 I still went back to 1 and 2 a good few times and played both 6 and 5 times respectively. The only other games I've ever done that with are MGS and AC1 and 2.

Adryuu

Orioto you must play ME, DD and HLD. How do you intend to depict ME while not having played it? You would surely not have to ask for scene advice, you'd probably just choose a Garrus scene, or a Scientific Salarian singing scene, or a drunk Tali scene, and we wouldn't have to say a thing and all would be good and right!

But I'd second either Citadel, Ilos (forgot to mention in my post but was thinking of it!), the beginning of 2 inside the Normandy (spoiler!), Eden Prime with the Sovereign taking off, or some random planet fight against geth. Geth are nice. Mordin singing in the ship would be ace too, love that fucker.

Hyper Light is a quick game to play through and, even if you're not very good or have little time to play, you can visit almost all zones right from the start and get a feel of the scenery and atmosphere, that alone would be more than enough to get your artistry steaming I bet. It's very inspiring and quite retro in many aspects, you'd like it for sure.

Dragon's Dogma, if you haven't played it, takes more time and can be annoying but it has a unique imagery combining Japanese artists with western mythology inspiration and it just works. Chimera fight with a sunset in the plains or woods is just goat.

orioto

Good Art™
Orioto you must play ME
Also yeah you should try ME Ori

Wow you really like me guys :p

I'll play those yeah someday, not a lot of time to play... Indy games i always have doubt about making art with them cause those are small devs and they'll take it the wrong way if i make some money out of it.

For Majora i will do the first scene, in the forest, when Epona is distracted by fairies with the mask boy waiting in the shadow. I like the mood here. I just need to find an interesting composition.

SugarDave

Discovered this thread through the Mass Effect community topic. This is some beautiful art, dude. Really amazing work. I've got a few Mass Effect scenes I've picked out that would make for a nice piece, hopefully they give you a better idea of what you'd like to tackle.

To start, it's hard to go wrong with the Citadel. This is the SSV Normandy approaching the station for the first time.

View from within the Citadel looking out onto the Wards.

One of my favourite uncharted worlds from the first game. The squad and Mako vehicle are what will distinguish this as being uniquely Mass Effect. This would be a good way to draw Shepard too, as he/she would need to be wearing a helmet.

The stasis pod chamber on Ilos. You could perhaps add the Mako driving down the middle so it has a little more going on.

The Illusive Man's office plus Miranda.

The Normandy SR2 approaching Omega.

Illium skyline.

The Shadow Broker's ship.

I love the design of the Reapers. Here they are invading Earth.

Normandy SR2's combat information center. The CIC looks different in each game but I prefer the darkened, military submarine look it has in ME3.

Palaven's moon, Menae, has one of my favourite skyboxes in the whole trilogy. Every playthrough, I stop to ogle the Reapers, the destruction and immerse myself in the fantastic audio.

Another cool shot of Palaven and Menae because I love it that much.

The Reapers attack Thessia.

Allied Fleet passing through a Mass Relay. Like the Citadel, any art involving a relay will probably look great, you could do one with just the Normandy approaching one too possibly.

Space battle.

You could always go with a straight up drawing of the Normandy SR2 above any iconic scenes though, it's the real star of the games after all. Maybe something with it during FTL travel.

I'll leave it at that. Sorry that the quality for many of those isn't great and if you consider that reference overload but I'm looking forward to seeing what you cook up if you go through with it. Keep up the awesome work, man!

EDIT: Not sure why some of them have shrank. :/

mabec

Two (silly, but not really) questions:

Have you ever made a "Skelettor" drawing? And have you ever considering making a lenticular, physical drawing?

Your art is really awesome, i could see my walls with it.

orioto

Good Art™
Two (silly, but not really) questions:

Have you ever made a "Skelettor" drawing? And have you ever considering making a lenticular, physical drawing?

Your art is really awesome, i could see my walls with it.

What is a Skelettor ?? I did 3d art at some point for 3ds but i stopped. Too much trouble now.

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys, i have to admit it feels great that i can make some money out of my past work. That's more sustainable for me.

Really ? Hmm, that sounds easy, but it would be kinda plagiarizing their own poster if i do that...

Anyway horrible week, too hyped for the ps vr, did nothing almost -_- i'm absolutely late for the Majora art, and i'm receiving it today or tomorrow so it won't get better

It's a concept art... and it became one of the most iconic scenery of ME trilogy because of how it's used repeatedly through ME2 and 3.

Maybe you can twist it your way ? Maybe you won't find it challenging or you don't want to work to close to something already/done official, and I can understand that...

Maybe Rez on VR can inspire you for something ... trippy :)

Big Nikus

Honestly I don't see how Orioto could do something interesting and new with this scene. And to be honest I've seen it so much that I'm getting tired of it (especially because it reminds me how the character was wasted in the sequel :( ). So, yeah, my 2 cents, the official artwork is cool enough, and eveybody's seen it enough.

kubus

Honestly I don't see how Orioto could do something interesting and new with this scene. And to be honest I've seen it so much that I'm getting tired of it (especially because it reminds me how the character was wasted in the sequel :( ). So, yeah, my 2 cents, the official artwork is cool enough, and eveybody's seen it enough.
Exactly my feelings too

Ceravic

Thx guys, i have to admit it feels great that i can make some money out of my past work. That's more sustainable for me.

No problem, that piece is spectacular! Also, as I don't know if FFT is popular enough to ever get voted on on your FB page, but if you ever get the random inspiration to sell Tietra's Fall I know both my best friend and I would both buy one as we're massive FFT fans.

ShivUK

I just wanted to post here briefly to say thanks to you, orioto.

I really love all of the stuff that you do; there seems to be a really strong overlap in our experiences and taste in games and you capture the feel and atmosphere of them so well. I especially love how you seem to be able to extract a much richer representation of older games that required you to use your imagination to fill in bits of the world.

I've had the Link to the Past "Through the Night" piece as my desktop wallpaper for something like 6 years now, if not longer. It's one of my favourite games of all time and I never get tired of looking at it. I often find myself wishing that many of my favourite games could be re-made in the orioto art style; please keep us posted about any game projects you are involved in!

I recently found this thread and that you sell things via Red Bubble; I used them to buy a metal print of "Through the Night" for my sister's 30th birthday and she absolutely loves it. I will have a good long think about what I buy next; I want a combination of things for myself but also to decorate my newborn daughter's bedroom.

Thanks again and keep up the truly amazing work.

orioto

Good Art™
No problem, that piece is spectacular! Also, as I don't know if FFT is popular enough to ever get voted on on your FB page, but if you ever get the random inspiration to sell Tietra's Fall I know both my best friend and I would both buy one as we're massive FFT fans.

It never had a vote for now.... That will be a problem for less popular art indeed.

I just wanted to post here briefly to say thanks to you, orioto.

I really love all of the stuff that you do; there seems to be a really strong overlap in our experiences and taste in games and you capture the feel and atmosphere of them so well. I especially love how you seem to be able to extract a much richer representation of older games that required you to use your imagination to fill in bits of the world.

I've had the Link to the Past "Through the Night" piece as my desktop wallpaper for something like 6 years now, if not longer. It's one of my favourite games of all time and I never get tired of looking at it. I often find myself wishing that many of my favourite games could be re-made in the orioto art style; please keep us posted about any game projects you are involved in!

I recently found this thread and that you sell things via Red Bubble; I used them to buy a metal print of "Through the Night" for my sister's 30th birthday and she absolutely loves it. I will have a good long think about what I buy next; I want a combination of things for myself but also to decorate my newborn daughter's bedroom.

Thanks again and keep up the truly amazing work.

Thx a lot, that's really nice to hear :)

About the game i'm trying to work on with 2 gaffers who offered to help some months ago.

It's a post apocalyptic .. horizontal shootervania where the world is ruled by mutant insects and humans try to survive (Think Madmax meets Nausicaa). The audacious bet here is to have it be presented like a real horizontal shooter ala R-type/gradius but with a castlevania progression, + rpg mechanics for weapon upgrade and such, backtracking, leveling...

DFStanding02.gif

Bee01.gif

By the way guys so last week was just the reprinted FFVII and FFVI, cause PSVR testing :p This week majora, next week Mass Effect

Shizza

Majoro wip, still some work to do on the mood

Wip01.jpg

I keep saying it, but I really enjoy seeing your work in progress pictures. I know it's not final yet, but this looks very very good! I think you've done a great job capturing the mood with the lighting and the characters' placement, and I'm eagerly awaiting the final picture!

orioto

Good Art™
I keep saying it, but I really enjoy seeing your work in progress pictures. I know it's not final yet, but this looks very very good! I think you've done a great job capturing the mood with the lighting and the characters' placement, and I'm eagerly awaiting the final picture!

Thx, i hope it'll be even better then :)

Tarsul

I've been watching this thread since a year or two and I gotta say your work in the last few months has been one or two level higher than before. You really improved imo. Whereas old pictures had some parts that were a little "bland" (for a lack of a better word), all your newer pictures are simply awe-inspiring from every angle. Sorry, I'm not an art critic, can't describe it better.

Keep it up. I really enjoy it :)

orioto

Good Art™
Thx guys!

I've been watching this thread since a year or two and I gotta say your work in the last few months has been one or two level higher than before. You really improved imo. Whereas old pictures had some parts that were a little "bland" (for a lack of a better word), all your newer pictures are simply awe-inspiring from every angle. Sorry, I'm not an art critic, can't describe it better.

Keep it up. I really enjoy it :)

Thx a lot :)

Last 9 weeks!

CpG9pYeWgAA2iPP.jpg:large
CvYl76xXEAAp3nw.jpg:large
CuMCjV3WEAACoSv.jpg:large

tumblr_odvs9eYuDE1qdq8qno1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ocwescP4TZ1qdq8qno1_1280.jpg
CshwlnRXEAAfZk-.jpg:large

CtFIRgDXEAAuKJf.jpg:large
tumblr_obtgw041gT1qdq8qno2_1280.jpg
tumblr_oc6p0rb1VO1qdq8qno1_540.jpg

You know where to find all that! Wallpapers and posters! There is also a zip with my 42 ones from 2015, HERE!

NateDog

This and the Halo one in particular have been phenomenal Ori, I have no idea what I'm going to do since I can't afford anything now and you're doing Mass Effect next but I can't miss out on them all.

orioto

Good Art™
This and the Halo one in particular have been phenomenal Ori, I have no idea what I'm going to do since I can't afford anything now and you're doing Mass Effect next but I can't miss out on them all.

Don't go broke man! They should be there for some months i guess. I don't know how christmas sales will be. I hope people buy my posters as presents!

TheMoon

MESketch01.jpg

Here we go. Is this ok if there are 3 people here ? I saw one died at the beginning.

You said Mass Effect, right? I played all three games and I don't recognize this - or remember who supposedly would have died. :D

edit: ah, I found the source inspiration on the previous page now

you're always in a party of three anyway. don't sweat it.

orioto

Good Art™
You said Mass Effect, right? I played all three games and I don't recognize this - or remember who supposedly would have died. :D

edit: ah, I found the source inspiration on the previous page now

you're always in a party of three anyway. don't sweat it.

Yeah that's the beginning of the game! The Sovereign first appearance!

Top Bottom