• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Gravijah

Freyjadour said:
When I think of Diablo and the DS I think of something more like Soma Bringer: 99.9% of the loot is shit or vendor trash and you spend more time managing inventory and storage to keep on top of all of it than anything else..

Someday I'll get an inventory management puzzle game. Someday.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
after reading Parish's Japanese version preview, I'm really bummed I won't be able to take advantage of the tag mode and get maps n' such. I'm not even sure I'll be able to connect my DS to the shitty wifi here and get Nintendo's weekly updates.

Can't help but feel the game is devalued : (

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Aeana said:
All right, superior version confirmed. Sandy/Stella speaks much more normally. She's a little blunt and rough, and certainly way more casual than most people in the game, but she is not annoying at all. I am so very pleased!
How was she in the Japanese version?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Aeana said:
Did anybody post EDGE's actual review text? http://www.next-gen.biz/features/review-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies

She speaks like a gal, which is difficult to explain if you don't understand Japanese. The closest analog I can come up with for English is a valley girl, but even that is way off base.
Ah, gotcha.

Rosa in Death Smiles US speaks slightly Valley Girl, I can't say it bothers me TOO much but then again, that's what, three screens of text in the entire game?

Is the character you create in the beginning actually the main character you use in the story or does he/she become Mr/Ms Irrelevant at the beginning of the game like White Knight Chronicles?

ACE 1991 said:
Hm, seems low given IGN's track record.

Yeah, it seems like the "traditional" battles and nameless main-characters without dialog didn't really do it for him. It's a weird thing to hold against a DQ, but ...yeah.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
slaughterking said:
Yeah, it seems like the "traditional" battles and nameless main-characters without dialog didn't really do it for him. It's a weird thing to hold against a DQ, but ...yeah.

I can understand the second qualm. DQVIII set a really high standard for the main cast of characters. And I guess he was really excited by an ARPG version of DQ or something?

However Eurogamer says it's the best story in the series and says it has "shades of chrono trigger"

BumRush

I've never played a dragon quest before (love RPGs though). For those who have played DQ9, how does it compare (gameplay- / story- / maturity-wise) to any of the games in the FF franchise?

Thanks in advance...

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
BumRush said:
I've never played a dragon quest before (love RPGs though). For those who have played DQ9, how does it compare (gameplay- / story- / maturity-wise) to any of the games in the FF franchise?

Thanks in advance...
Gameplay is simpler, less convoluted, more traditional but has strong foundation. IX has a job system and a quest system.

Story is simpler, less convoluted, not emo, mostly bite-sized, light-hearted adventures.

Maturity, what is this even supposed to mean?

Erdrick

My copy arrived yesterday at the store where I've paid for it and I basically just have to wait until 12pm on Sunday before I can go pick it up.

Soon... Soon... Then I will play nothing else all summer methinks.

Yaweee said:
IGN's average is ~68%, which is rough compared to the median source average.
That's also the industry JRPG review average. I tend to ignore most reviews these days, especially after the Nier fiasco.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aeana said:
tCIeu.jpg

Yay crappy camera.

Great, now I envision you as a Slime with purple hair.

Weird question: do the shoulder buttons get used much? My poor old DS Lite really needs the L & R buttons jammed down for them to register. It's actually made me play less DS in the last year or so.

Aeana

Duane Cunningham said:
Weird question: do the shoulder buttons get used much? My poor old DS Lite really needs the L & R buttons jammed down for them to register. It's actually made me play less DS in the last year or so.
No. Also, you can play the game entirely with the stylus if you'd like.

Boney

Banned
Duane Cunningham said:
Or you could use the secret technique of blowing and sucking on the buttons. It works 100% guaranteed. It's excess dust you got there.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Regulus Tera said:
waaaaaaaaat

EDIT: HOLY FUCK IT WORKS

:lol :lol :lol

Had a problem with my DSi like three months in with the R button. Did this and have not had a problem since.

Thought I stopped carrying it in my pocket without a case as well.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
lol @ the image of everyone blowing and sucking shoulder buttons and the happiness that follows. I knew about the techniche but fortunately never needed it.

Aeana

Status update time! Borrowed a camera from someone so it looks better this time.

gz7Bn.jpg

Trying to make the best of the crappy early equipment choices, but still super ugly. I really need to get rid of the scale shield ASAP! I can't wait until a little later when there are some cuter things available. :\

Some reviews are finally coming in!

I guess the game is more like Monster Hunter than a RPG. I don't mind if it's addicting. But what I do wonder is if it would've been more beneficial for the game if it stuck with the real-time combat as it was originally planned. Than it would've been like a loot-game but in the DQ world.

It changed because of Japanese DQ fans complaining about it. I understand that it's important to satisfy fans but it also depends on the type of game. Looks like DQIX isn't the traditional DQ game except for the straight-forward battle system.

I just really think the real-time combat would've been better for this game. The turn-base system looks like it'll slow the progression of the game down.

Still excited about it though...but maybe I'm secretly more excited about DQVI since it has a better narrative and character personalities.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Woah nice Aeana. They really did an outstanding job with the equipment modeling.

I really wish us gaffers could all live in the same town specifically for this game :lol

edit: +1 for R button working again. Holy fuck! No longer want to replace it with a DSi. :lol

Chairhome

Boney said:
Fuck seriously I'm going to trademark this. I've saved countless DS units.
I did this a few years ago. I always suggest it, but I don't think anyone listens to me :-(. Do not suck on it like you would a pacifier though, haha.

The easiest way to do it is to pinch the button and pull up, then blow into the gap.

Chairhome said:
I was just joking about puff puff, I doubt Nintendo would let them put that in.

Nah they had it in earlier versions, besides you never see nothing anyway, that's the whole joke.....

Aeana

The puff-puff was cut from the English version of DQ4 DS due to their desired ESRB rating. DQ9 is rated the same as DQ4, so infer from that. I don't actually know if there are any instances of puff-puff in the Japanese game (didn't notice any when I played, but they could still have been there), so I can't say for sure either way.

Boney

Banned
Chairhome said:
I did this a few years ago. I always suggest it, but I don't think anyone listens to me :-(. Do not suck on it like you would a pacifier though, haha.

The easiest way to do it is to pinch the button and pull up, then blow into the gap.
I'm sueing(sp?) you!

Also, puff puff?

Aeana said:
The puff-puff was cut from the English version of DQ4 DS due to their desired ESRB rating. DQ9 is rated the same as DQ4, so infer from that. I don't actually know if there are any instances of puff-puff in the Japanese game (didn't notice any when I played, but they could still have been there), so I can't say for sure either way.

Wow, did not know that.... but didn't they allow it in the gameboy color version of 3? That was rated t right? It was always just a black screen......? Cool though, thanks, that's good to know.

Top Bottom