• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Glad to know the game is beatable with that formula--I'm generally pretty terrible at these games.

So what's the deal with this game's online mode? I just unlocked it, but the game doesn't do a very good job of explaining the point. Should I bother?
I never messed with online either so I couldn't tell you if it's worth it or not. I can tell you that it's not necessary in beating the game.

Your lineup sounds cool. I could have probably ripped through the game if I had three warriors and a priest. Warriors have ridiculous defense and power. Mage keeps running out of magic especially early on, while the rest of your party can keep going for a little longer. Also, there are no enemies or boss fights that require the use of magic. Some spells can hit all targets at once, so that's pretty much the only benefit I got from the mage. Once he runs out of MP he's dead weight and a waste of a fourth slot. In most games, martial artist or monk can do double attack in one turn and is pretty strong. I'm not sure about this game, but that is an attractive option if that's the case. Surprisingly, my priest was a decent attacker with a staff for a lot of the game.

It has been quite a while, but I'm not sure what exactly a Minstrel is good for.
I kept my main character a minstel because I wanted a secondary healer who could also deal a good amount of damage. Towards the end of the game though, his healing abilities became less useful but were still welcome on long grind sessions and tough bosses.

Oxx

Well, as far as I remember, the online stuff is just unlocking the extra quests, the daily shop, and the inn visitors.

Probably worth it to go online just once to get the quests.

If y'all are saying Mages aren't terribly useful then I might not bother. Maybe I'll just go with warrior, warrior, martial artist, priest? Can warriors use boomerangs? I feel like that would solve my lack of AOE.

If y'all are saying Mages aren't terribly useful then I might not bother. Maybe I'll just go with warrior, warrior, martial artist, priest? Can warriors use boomerangs? I feel like that would solve my lack of AOE.
I'm thinking about going WWWP when I return to the game to do the post game stuff to see what kind of damage I can cause to the world. Hell, if my Priest retains her magic abilities after changing, I may make her a warrior too. And you can always change your vocation soon after starting the game at Alltrades Abbey I believe, so you aren't stuck with that setup if you don't like it.

Dunbar

I finished the game with the Minstrel/Martial Artist/Priest/Mage combo the game gives you at the beginning with no trouble. Never changed classes once and did almost no quests. A few attackers, a healer and some buffs. Played it just like a classic DQ game. Beat it around 50 hours with very little grinding.

It's almost like the game is designed to let you do that if you want, to get the classic "Take a party through the story" DQ experience, or to let you dive into the quests/alchemy/multi/downloadable stuff if that suits your fancy. Two different experiences, just do what you think is the most fun.

Oxx

It's going to be a long time until we get the DQVII remake in the west (if at all).

Might as well put another 600 hours into DQIX.

I'm currently using a Minstrel, Martial Artist, Warrior, and a Priest. The game has been pretty easy so far (i'm not far, however), and I'm beginning to feel a little disappointed I didn't bring a Mage along too. From everything I've heard Mages aren't terribly useful, but the variety would be nice.

edit: @ghibli99--Excellent idea! I'll just continue bumping the thread until people take notice. ;)

ghibli99

edit: @ghibli99--Excellent idea! I'll just continue bumping the thread until people take notice. ;)
It's been a while, but you're still in the main quest, right? Folks were at all sorts of various points in the game, but when we were all in the postgame, that's when the conversations, advice, etc. got really good!

I mean, even I was late to the party, but there were enough people around that the thread was a great resource for pointing me in the right direction. Because of that, DQ9 became my most played game during the latter half of 2010. It got so bad that I brought my DS everywhere trying to canvass for guests, and hopping on public wi-fi hotspots on my way to work to check the DQVC store for special items. I was pretty addicted. LOL

It's been a while, but you're still in the main quest, right? Folks were at all sorts of various points in the game, but when we were all in the postgame, that's when the conversations, advice, etc. got really good!

I mean, even I was late to the party, but there were enough people around that the thread was a great resource for pointing me in the right direction. Because of that, DQ9 became my most played game during the latter half of 2010. It got so bad that I brought my DS everywhere trying to canvass for guests, and hopping on public wi-fi hotspots on my way to work to check the DQVC store for special items. I was pretty addicted. LOL

I only just made it to Alltrades Abbey, so yeah. This game is already becoming a problem--for whatever reason, alchemy is really fucking addicting.

Was crafting in VIII as awful as I remember it? Come to think of it, is VIII generally regarded as a pretty poor entry in the series?

I think VIII is loved by the DQ community. I only played a little bit of it and then lost my PS2, but what I did get to play I liked a lot.

I really liked IX as well, and I actually never finished it either. Seeing this thread get bumped makes me want to pick it up again. I'll join in the conversation with ya! I'm a little bit further in the story, though. I think the last thing I did was switch a character's class and was trying to level him up all over again.

Aeana

I only just made it to Alltrades Abbey, so yeah. This game is already becoming a problem--for whatever reason, alchemy is really fucking addicting.

Was crafting in VIII as awful as I remember it? Come to think of it, is VIII generally regarded as a pretty poor entry in the series?

Dragon Quest fans are not like Final Fantasy fans. Most of them like every game, just some more than others.

ghibli99

Yeah, DQ9 improved upon DQ8's alchemy in almost every way. I don't know why, but DQ8 often was vague about what ingredients were necessary for each recipe, and the "cooking time" was not based on time elapsed, but on how many steps you took. So dumb. I ended up having to put a rubber band on my DualShock2 to make my guy run endlessly into a wall above the monster arena to cook up my various items. Still took forever. :( DQ9's is so much more streamlined by comparison.

There is still a random element about the highest level of alchemy recipes in DQ9, but you can get around them by exploiting the RNG. But that's for later. :)

Any tips on martial artists? Are they viable as a "warrior" class for damage? I'm leveling one up now with a gladiator, mage and priest, that are all around lvl 28. My martial artist is 17. Currently using a fan because he already had the points in that from minstrel.

Cheerilee

Any tips on martial artists? Are they viable as a "warrior" class for damage?
About as good as any other, IMO.

I'm leveling one up now with a gladiator, mage and priest, that are all around lvl 28. My martial artist is 17. Currently using a fan because he already had the points in that from minstrel.
IMO, the most effective thing you can do after you're allowed to change classes is to change classes as much as possible. Mix them up. Give everyone some time with every class. Just make a trip to Alltrades after every dungeon or grind session.

When you catch up from a low level, the levels come quick, and quick skill points come with quick levels. Get 200 skill points for each character and power up their shield points as well as each character's "signature" weapon (like how you're using fans with your Minster/Martial Artist), at which point the powered-up weapon/shield become "omnivocational" and become permanently available to that character regardless of what class they're in.

Basically just take your highest-level characters and put them into any old low-level class. And try not to mess up your party balance too badly. Like if you feel you need a healer or a mage, make sure that (after your job shuffle) somebody can always be the healer or mage.

After you've powered up your shield and signature weapon, you can spend skill points in each job's job-specific ability tree. For example, every one of your characters should definitely spend 16 skill points in the Martial Artist's skill tree to get "Psyche Up", a skill that raises tension and is really effective on powerful enemies. Ten points spent in the thief's skill tree earns the steal command (called Half Inch). Not to mention the various permanent stat boosts.

Don't spend skill points on weapon skills for a weapon you don't really intend to keep using (not until much later in the game, at least).

And remember, you can earn skill points in one job, and hang onto them without spending them, and then spend them all at once (or however you please) in a different job after a class change.

I need some advice on class changes and a general upgrade path. Here's what I'm currently using:

Minstrel, 22 (Sword)
Martial Artist, 21 (Staves)
Priest, 21 (Been focusing on Faith)
Warrior, 21 (Spears)

Now, what's a good path for my Minstrel? I feel like I'm wasting time with it--I'd have changed earlier but I couldn't decide what would be ideal to switch to. I'd switch my Minstrel to a Paladin but I wouldn't be able to continue upgrading swords. What about my Warrior?

Cheerilee

I need some advice on class changes and a general upgrade path. Here's what I'm currently using:

Minstrel, 22 (Sword)
Martial Artist, 21 (Staves)
Priest, 21 (Been focusing on Faith)
Warrior, 21 (Spears)

Now, what's a good path for my Minstrel? I feel like I'm wasting time with it--I'd have changed earlier but I couldn't decide what would be ideal to switch to. I'd switch my Minstrel to a Paladin but I wouldn't be able to continue upgrading swords. What about my Warrior?

A Priest can use Staves or Spears, so your Martial Artist or Warrior could easily become your new Priest.

If you have access to Paladin, they can use Spears, so you could turn your Warrior into a Paladin and select the Martial Artist to become your Priest.

A Warrior can use a Sword, so you can turn your Minstrel into a Warrior and then keep working on Sword.

That just leaves your current Priest. If you changed them to a Minstrel, they'd have access to the Heal spell (I remember Minstrels being pretty good "backup" healers, especially if you've powered up their healing ability), and then they could start learning Whip or Fan. But really, you could go anywhere with that character.

Edit for clarity:
Minstrel > Warrior (Sword)
Martial Artist > Priest (Staves)
Priest > Minstrel?
Warrior > Paladin (Spears)

Interesting--I hadn't considered changing their roles entirely. I was thinking I'd just keep them going on a certain "path" so as to keep their distinct roles.

Edit: at least in terms of the Priest and Martial Artist.

edit 2: Or should I just make my Minstrel a Gladiator (whenever I unlock it)

Cheerilee

Interesting--I hadn't considered changing their roles entirely. I was thinking I'd just keep them going on a certain "path" so as to keep their distinct roles.

Edit: at least in terms of the Priest and Martial Artist.

edit 2: Or should I just make my Minstrel a Gladiator (whenever I unlock it)

It's fine to step out of your "main role" while you're basically "training" (assuming you can get some other character to temporarily cover for your essential duties in the party, like healing). Switching the Priest and Martial Artist is basically just weapons training. If you change your #3 character to a Mage, you can do some MP training.

Gladiator is fine if you need to equip swords, and haven't made them omnivocational yet. I like mastering weapons, because then you've got more options.

Gladiator is a good class for powering up HP and Strength.
Warrior powers up Strength and Resiliance.
Martial Artist powers up Agility.

After you free up your weapons for use in any class, you're basically going to want to take a tour of all of the physical classes with all of your physical characters. After that, it's easier to decide which classes you liked most.

Ah, so the stat boosts are permanent? I thought they only applied when you were using the class. Neato.

Can I still go toward mastering swords if I switch to a Gladiator? Thanks for the continued advice, by the way--this is the point in RPGs where I usually get overwhelmed with choice and quit, which I don't want to happen. I've been absolutely loving this game so far.

Cheerilee

Ah, so the stat boosts are permanent? I thought they only applied when you were using the class. Neato.
Stat boosts that you spend points on, in the class-specific tree, are permanent.

Stat boosts gained by spending points in a weapon's skill tree only apply while you have that specific type of weapon equipped.

Regular stats and spells/skills earned normally, by earning levels, only apply while you're using that specific class.

The class-specific trees are ones like the Faith skill tree for your Priest. There's one unique tree per-class, and it's always #5 on your list of things to spend points on, listed after the various weapons and shields. Anything you spend in that fifth class-specific tree earns you a permanent stat boost or a permanent new ability, across all jobs.

Can I still go toward mastering swords if I switch to a Gladiator?
Yes. If you've spent, let's say... 13 points on Sword while your #1 character was a Minstrel, and you earned Dragon Slash, Atk +10 (while Sword is equipped), and Metal Slash, then you can switch to any class capable of equipping Swords, like Gladiator, and you'll still be able to spend points in the Sword skill tree, and the 13 (or however many) points you already spent on Swords and all of the upgrades you earned will still be there waiting for you.

If you spend 100 points in the Sword tree, that character will always be able to equip swords, and any time they're equipped, they'll benefit from those upgrades.

Thanks for the continued advice, by the way--this is the point in RPGs where I usually get overwhelmed with choice and quit, which I don't want to happen. I've been absolutely loving this game so far.
I'm happy to participate. It is a great game.

My advice is to focus on those weapon skills while they still limit the direction of your class changes. After that, just try to keep your party somewhat balanced while you give everyone a turn in some assorted jobs, and spend points to power up places where you'd like to create strengths/negate weaknesses.

Dragon Quest fans are not like Final Fantasy fans. Most of them like every game, just some more than others.
When Dragon Quest starts having cars, guns, jets, shitty characters and an overall sci-fi theme, I'm sure there will be a lot of unhappy DQ fans out there as well, but so far the series has been pretty true to itself and it's fans.

So glad to see people still playing and talking about this great game! I go back and do another treasure map every few months. I have to be careful though because it is very addictive!

I might even start another playthrough... I bought a second copy of the game a month ago for just that reason.

Is there a way to create a copy of your save file? I would like to replay it one day, but there's no way I'm going to delete my save file.

ghibli99

Is there a way to create a copy of your save file? I would like to replay it one day, but there's no way I'm going to delete my save file.
You can do it via homebrew with tools like SavSender/Receiver. It's not exactly automated, but might be worth it if you already have a flashcart and don't want to buy multiple DQ9 cartridges just to start a new game.

Cheerilee

You can do it via homebrew with tools like SavSender/Receiver. It's not exactly automated, but might be worth it if you already have a flashcart and don't want to buy multiple DQ9 cartridges just to start a new game.

If course, if you have a flashcart to run homebrew and dump your save, you might as well just play your replay playthrough using the flashcart, and leave your original DQIX cart untouched.

If course, if you have a flashcart to run homebrew and dump your save, you might as well just play your replay playthrough using the flashcart, and leave your original DQIX cart untouched.

Yeah I think I'll just buy a flashcart and do it that way. I definitely want to preserve my original. Thanks!

I'm happy to participate. It is a great game.

My advice is to focus on those weapon skills while they still limit the direction of your class changes. After that, just try to keep your party somewhat balanced while you give everyone a turn in some assorted jobs, and spend points to power up places where you'd like to create strengths/negate weaknesses.

I'm really seeing the advantage to class switching--my Gladiator Hero (former Minstrel) is doing more damage than a Warrior at a much higher level, and the skill points are coming fast. I'll be switching around my other characters soon.

Gladiator with Uber Falcon Blade is the most OP class in the game. When I'm in an impatient mood I'll use 2 Gladiators with UFBs and 2 Sages to just blow through everything in my way. Only do that if you want to cheese the game, though.

Isaccard

I picked this up today, but for some reason I can't activate the wifi connection through via my router. I type in the WEP-Key and it always says error.

I want to say it's my 3DS or something? Eh.

Celegus

I remember having some weird problem like that as well with my DS. I think I switched my router to WPA instead of WEP and then it worked fine, if you want to give that a shot. In any case, you're definitely going to want to get online somehow to get all those extra quests.

zigg

I remember having some weird problem like that as well with my DS. I think I switched my router to WPA instead of WEP and then it worked fine, if you want to give that a shot. In any case, you're definitely going to want to get online somehow to get all those extra quests.
Classic DS games never supported WPA, though.

Tenrius

I picked this up today, but for some reason I can't activate the wifi connection through via my router. I type in the WEP-Key and it always says error.

I want to say it's my 3DS or something? Eh.

This might be a little late, but I too can relate to this. I have two different Internet connections in the house, using separate routers, and of them never works with the DS (I use a hidden SSID without encryption on that router, but WEP doesn't work either). It's not only Dragon Quest IX, though, any game on the DS just won't connect to the WFC, while I'm still able to use the browser. Perhaps, one of the ISPs is blocking something?

In the mean time, I'm on the last boss. It's actually the first boss battle I'm having trouble with.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ha, I actually just was replaying this in the lead up to pokemon, this game is fantastic and beautiful. It's funny, it actually doesn't look any worse than pokemon x.

Einhander

I beat the game today. I put in over 80 hours of game time.
I got back the Starflight Express.
I still have tons of quests that haven't been done, and I've only completed one grotto. I also haven't done the Tower of Nod. As someone who is motivated by story, is there any incentive in going further other than attaining more loot?

Top Bottom