• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Aeana

N2vSs.png

6ym6m8.jpg
Title: Dragon Quest 9: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
Developers: Armor Project / Level-5 / Square Enix
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo DS
Genre: "Social Adventure" (it's an RPG, folks)
Release: July 11, 2010 (US), July 23, 2010 (EU)
Save slots: 1

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df931fZZrGc&fmt=18
TVCM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjU4WZeaSk&fmt=18

Official site (UK)
Official site (US)

Reviews
Nintendo Power: 9/10
EDGE: 9/10
Eurogamer: 9/10
1Up: A
Gamesradar: 8/10
G4: 5/5
GameTrailers: 8.5/10

Dragon Quest 9 was originally announced in December, 2006 to the surprise of many. Not only was it going to be on the DS, and not only was also going to be a multiplayer game, it was going to be an action RPG. All of these things shocked series fans, as they marked huge departures for a traditionally conservative series.

Three and a half years, a complete battle system revamp, many delays, and a surprising publisher change later, the game is finally almost here, in a much different form than how it was originally envisaged. It represents the next step in the evolution of the Dragon Quest series, while also looking back to the player-made party system of Dragon Quest 3 -- the game that really put the series on the map.​

hwy3ag.jpg
  • Not an action RPG.
  • Full character customization, including facial designs and hairstyles. This is not only for your hero, but for your party members as well.
  • A robust class system based on Dragon Quest 3's, enhanced by the skill point system of Dragon Quest 8.
  • Over a hundred quests to complete, and many hidden treasure maps that lead to miniature, randomly generated dungeons full of treasure and dangerous enemies. More quests will be added to the game every week for a year after release.
  • 2-4 person local multiplayer. Players can do everything they can do solo in a group of up to four people.
  • The new "free position" battle system lets you see more of the action during battle, making them feel grander and more chaotic.
  • Visible equipment changes, and more equipment slots than ever before.
  • Visible enemies. That's right, no more random battles -- for better or for worse.
  • The alchemy pot returns, but much improved. Wait times are gone, and you can make multiples of an item at once, among other improvements. Rocket Slime players may find an old friend here.
  • Wi-Fi shopping network (DQVC) with an ever-changing inventory that gives you the opportunity to purchase rare items.
  • Loads of post-game content, including weekly quest DLC.

ZhrfZ.png
0mWq2.png

xftil3.jpg

24wy8tv.jpg
53733s.jpg
e05ra9.jpg

EH7NZ.jpg
lC5W8.jpg
5pOUo.jpg

UpH1y.png

These are the answers to some questions I've seen asked fairly often. I thought it would be a good idea to answer them here so people don't have to keep asking.​

How does multiplayer work?
By visiting Quester's Rest inn in the city of Stornway, you can either choose to host a multiplayer session, or join one. There must always be a host, and the host is the person whose world the other players join. From here, the other players can run free in the host's world, able to fight and explore alone if they should choose to do so, or join in battles with other players. If a player is near the host when a battle starts, they will join it automatically, but it's also possible to join a battle that is in progress. The host also has a command called "call to arms" that allows them to warp the other players to their location. During battle, each player is only responsible for inputting their own commands.

Also, although the other players are free to run around the host's world, they can't mess it up. Only the host can progress the story, and important (red) chests are only openable by the host, though there are also blue chests that can be opened by anyone. Monsters also give much more experience in multiplayer.

Why is Nintendo publishing this game? Did Square Enix give up on the series?
A while after DQ9's Japanese release, Iwata pledged to give the game the assistance he felt it needed in the west. The way he's doing that is by having Nintendo publish the game, which should give it access to Nintendo's marketing, distribution, etc. Square Enix is still involved, however, and the localization is being done through them. It's still unclear as to whether the localization itself is being done by Plus Alpha or someone else, though. Also, Dragon Quest 6 DS will still be published by Square Enix, as far as I know.

Isn't this post kind of skimpy?
The game has a really great official site with tons of info. Check it out!

Is this game worth it if I don't intend to use multiplayer or tag mode?
Of course. At the core of the game is still a substantial and complete story, just like every other game in the series before it.

What's the asterisk in the title for?
It's there because DQ6 is coming out after DQ9, but DQ9 is the one getting the big push. There. Now the magic's ruined.​

Thanks to Jeels for some ideas and support. :)

Hype hype hype! This is going to be my first DQ launch (got into the series last year with the DS remake of V). Can't wait! My girlfriend loves it too.

Also, nice thread! Concise, unpretentious and insightful.

StuBurns

Banned
I am looking forward to it, I thought DQ8 was good, not amazing, but pretty cool, and the best cause of wanderlust of any JRPG I played last generation. And I love the art in 9.

Noogy

July 11?! How did this sneak up on me like this! DQVIII is still in my top 3 games, so this is soooo bought. Maybe a couple copies to play with my wife.

I'm curious how multiplayer works. Does joining another player bring in your character, and what happens with mismatched character levels?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
never played DQ, only ever played FFVII, not a huge JRPG player (but like turn based SRPGs). Son is turning 9 and loves pokemon. Would this be an approachable game for him? Would I enjoy it?

Johnas

The release of a new DQ game is a special event in the world of gaming, I hope a lot of people who aren't currently interested in the franchise give this game a shot due to the marketing push.

I'm fairly excited for the game. Aeana, I read your comments the other day about the music and that was a little off-putting, but I'll live. Lots of other franchises do that and manage to make it work, it's just something I'm not used to with DQ.

StuBurns

Banned
mrklaw said:
never played DQ, only ever played FFVII, not a huge JRPG player (but like turn based SRPGs). Son is turning 9 and loves pokemon. Would this be an approachable game for him? Would I enjoy it?
I would think he could certainly play it, Pokemon is very much the Japanese gateway drug to DQ. As for if you'd enjoy it, no idea.

Really, really can't wait for this! :D Going with the UK version though so I'll have to endure most people here playing the US version for a couple of weeks before me :p

mello

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Really, really can't wait for this! Going with the UK version though so I'll have to endure most people here playing the US version for a couple of weeks before me :p

Was going to do the same, but I caved in and pre-ordered the US version. :p

Pyrokai

Awesome OP! Nice job!

Going to get this after starting my first Dragon Quest game ever with the DQIV DS game. Really enjoying it so far! I plan to get this and hopefully convince a couple other people to get it too so we can play multiplayer. I am excite :)

BAW

Banned
Are the graphics really that good or are we talking about bullshots here? That looks amazing for the DS.

thefil

Notorious_Roy said:
If I play this now, wouldn't VI be like a step back once that one comes out?

Probably not. Dragon Quest is not big on what you'd call "evolution".

Very excited for this, can't believe it's only ten days away.

BitchTits

Cannot. Wait. Hype, hype, hype! :D

Pre-ordered US copy already, it probably won't arrive much earlier than the PAL release, but I prefer the slimmer US DS cases.

thefil

Urban Scholar said:
I haven't been following too much but what's the plot for this one?

You go to a town, and someone presents you with a problem they are facing. You then assist said person, and go on your way. Rinse and repeat. After a while of doing this, a purple demon appears and you kill it.

...at least, that's my guess.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Notorious_Roy said:
If I play this now, wouldn't VI be like a step back once that one comes out?
VI is a step back no matter what DQ you play so, whatever.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How much reliance does this game have on MP? I'll probably never bother using it and I fear for the post-game content, which excites me, will be super reliant on having multiple players.

Just want to know if everything can be soloed.

Aeana

Brandon F said:
How much reliance does this game have on MP? I'll probably never bother using it and I fear for the post-game content, which excites me, will be super reliant on having multiple players.

Just want to know if everything can be soloed.
Nothing in the game requires multiplayer.

MadmanUK

What pre-order goodies are retailers doing?

I know Play.com are giving a slime cap and Game are dishing out a slime keychain, anything else that looks better?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Brandon F said:
Multiplayer Metal Slime hunting, although, is one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences ever.

RevenantKioku

InfiniteNine said:
Can't get this day one, but I'm getting it thanks to Seth Green. First DQ game, so I hope it's a good one. o:
It's got a good deal in common with the best DQ (3) so, yes, it's a pretty damn solid DQ.

Red Scarlet

What's the title about? And I wonder if I should get this or Strange Journey for bday..I'd think
hope
they'd both be buyable till Christmas?

Aeana

The asterisk is there because DQ6 comes out after this, even though DQ9 is the one getting the big push.

Mudo

Super excited for this!! Does anyone know if anything was done about that "mode" in the Japanese release where you could put the system in sleep mode and if another DS came in range you could get rare dungeon maps and things like that? I also remember something about building up an Inn or something being linked to that?? The reason I ask is I don't know anyone who will have this game and I was hoping they may find a way to make this content accessible to people like me? Or am I just screwed (or wrong about how it works?)

Aeana

Mudo said:
Super excited for this!! Does anyone know if anything was done about that "mode" in the Japanese release where you could put the system in sleep mode and if another DS came in range you could get rare dungeon maps and things like that? I also remember something about building up an Inn or something being linked to that?? The reason I ask is I don't know anyone who will have this game and I was hoping they may find a way to make this content accessible to people like me? Or am I just screwed (or wrong about how it works?)
Nope, they aren't changing anything related to that. Cammie said they would be organizing events for people to get together for it, but that's about it.

Carlisle

Aeana said:
The asterisk is there because DQ6 comes out after this, even though DQ9 is the one getting the big push.
I'm really glad you're so confident that DQ6 is still coming. I've been worried about it for some time and if not for you I'd have given up on it by now.

I still have IX preordered even though I probably won't get to it for a long time (not till I finish the rest of the series). After the crap I went through to get a hold of a reasonably-priced copy of DQ5 a few months ago, I'll never take the chance that a DQ game will be around for a long time again. I'm sure IX will do great, but I'm still not risking it :lol

Oxx

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Really, really can't wait for this! :D Going with the UK version though so I'll have to endure most people here playing the US version for a couple of weeks before me :p

I'm still flip-flopping on that issue.

There's only a 12-day difference, but I don't want to lose out on those extra NOE Nintendo stars.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Carlisle said:
10 days to finish DQ3, 4, 5, 7, and 8. I can do it!!!

just need a time machine

You might be able to pull it off with a bunch of RedBull... :p

Can't believe it's only a bit more than a week away... seems like I've been waiting forever for the US release. Apart from the post game stuff, how long does the regular quest take?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Not so sure if I dig the customizable characters. I would prefer if they had a look of their own. Can you just leave them on the default?

I know I'm probably in the minority here.

Top Bottom