• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Tease: "Screenshots ... are gorgeous. My jaw is still on the ground..."

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I can't believe how many people are actually trying to guess which console game in 2012 is going to be jaw-dropping. The consoles are pretty much tapped dry. Shit has plateaued.

Halo 4? Yeah, theres only a dozen really awesome looking FPS game that they'll have to do have done a ton of work to even match, let alone exceed by any worthy degree.

God of War 4? Its going to look like God of War 3. Hardly a bad thing but... its been done.

It could be one of those titles, but its not going to wow anyone unless they really want to be wowed irrespective of what it actually looks like compared to whats already available. Of course there is a good amount of said people..

This is true, until next gen gets here, we have already seen as good as it is going to get, give or take a marginal ammount.

Kibbles

I dunno... Of what we've seen of Halo 4, I really can't imagine it looking "jaw-dropping" by any stretch.
Not by any stretch, nope.
h4t4x62.gif

ijscV1fOIvFP6.gif

v5hxp.jpg

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Don't you get tired of Game Informer doing their "You'll never believe the cover game we have next month" shtick?

Or him acting as though being sent impressive game-art/ screenshots to put in the magazine is a first or something.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What video are those Halo 4 .gifs from? It looks damn nice. Hopefully I'll have the cash to get a 360 before that comes out. I really enjoyed Reach and ODST, far more than the other games in the series. No longer having a roommate who has a 360 is disappointing just for the lack of Halo.

I dunno... Of what we've seen of Halo 4, I really can't imagine it looking "jaw-dropping" by any stretch. Sure, it can look polished and ultra-clean, but nothing unprecedented. I'm expecting something like God of War 3/Killzone 2 in their respective time periods.

While the MP stuff they showed so far (which is close to nothing tbh) may not have stood out too much, the SP looks fantastic. Plus, Jaw dropping is subjective, it could simple mean jaw dropping that it is a game that is on a console.. I don't expect Crysis PC fully modded out, simply an fantastic looking game, such as Uncharted.

Also, while I agree Killzone 2/3 do look really good, they honestly are different games than Halo... Now would I like Halo games to eventually get there? Sure, but you also have to consider the difference experiences the games provide, with Halo being a "sandbox shooter". That said, once again, I think what little we have seen from Halo 4's SP is Jaw Dropping caliber.

On another note, am I the only one who found God of War 3 good looking, but not amazing?

sp3000

Not by any stretch, nope.
typical gif bullshots

You guys ever get tired of spamming downsampled gifs? I see it in every single thread. If it's not Halo then it's some other fanboy crapping on the whole thread with Gran Turismo gifs.

If you want to work in PR for Microsoft so desperately, this is not the way to do it.

Demon Ice

Banned
What was the last title GI hyped up in this manner? Assassins Creed III?

And those Halo gifs look fantastic (obviously downsampled) but I've stopped expecting the final product to look anything like the "in engine" announcement trailers.

I'd love God of War 4 / Crysis 3.

You guys ever get tired of spamming downsampled gifs? I see it in every single thread. If it's not Halo then it's some other fanboy crapping on the whole thread with Gran Turismo gifs.

If you want to work in PR for Microsoft so desperately, this is not the way to do it.

To be fair, that looks just as impressive in full screen. Anyways, we have had multiple people who saw the game firsthand saying it looks amazing, and noticeably better than Halo Reach, so I honestly don't think those gifs are unfair.

Bullshots are bullshots.

Halo 4 is not going to look like that in real time, running on the Xbox 360.

The depth of field is the only thing that that is "in engine" rather than "in game". That is the game, running real time, with the "in engine" DOF added, which I imagine may be used for cinematics.

Proelite

The depth of field is the only thing that that is "in engine" rather than "in game". That is the game, running real time, with he in engine DOF added, which I imagine may be used for cinematics.

How many times are you going to fight this fight?

Just leave it, everything will be sorted out by the first gameplay footage from E3.

sp3000

The depth of field is the only thing that that is "in engine" rather than "in game". That is the game, running real time, with he in engine DOF added, which I imagine may be used for cinematics.

Halo 4 is not running at 320x240 with 2x2 supersampling applied, as those gifs would imply. Sorry, but now you just sound like an undercover microsoft marketer.

It's hilarious how desperately people want it to look like that though.

wwm0nkey

Halo 4 is not running at 320x240 with 2x2 supersampling applied, as those gifs would imply. Sorry, but now you just sound like an undercover microsoft marketer.

It looked just fine in the HD video too :/

Also calling someone a Microsoft Marketer? lol

How many times are you going to fight this fight?

Just leave it, everything will be sorted out by the first gameplay footage from E3.

Well truthfully, I never fought it before, although I did expect Halo 3 to look better than the final product did, so I was let down there. That said, that trailer did run "in engine", but was more of a target build, which ultimately wasn't matched in the final game. I trust the guys at 343, who have said numerous times on these boards that the footage is an accurate representation of the game. Also, this isn't super early footage as it is being shown closer to release than the usual first looks.

Now , like I said, I am sure the DOF is helping it look better, which of course wont be present during gameplay.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics

Link to job application? I want to apply!

BigTnaples

You do know that exact footage is available for everyone to see in HD on their monitor or TV right? It still looks the same. Gifs are just an easy way to show off impresive parts of the actual footage. No one here thinks that Halo 4 will have 16x AA and AF. Posters can use common sense just fine. (well most of them)

BigTnaples

Now , like I said, I am sure the DOF is helping it look better, which of course wont be present during gameplay.

I am kind of hoping for some in game DoF, but I guess it would not really work without iron sights. Maybe during reload animations?

I much prefer this as far as .gifs are concerned.

gif730lhw.gif

Good looking human faces - something the series has lacked (though they were much improved in Reach.

rdrr gnr

Looking "noticeably" better than Halo: Reach isn't saying much. But I'm guessing the Halo-apologists aren't the most impartial of posters.
"Halo apologists"?

There are definitely a few people here who are a little clouded by hype/fandom, but sheesh. Halo isn't an act of assault or a war crime.
Apologist is a formal, yet neutral term. It simply refers someone who defends an idea or action -- good or bad. "Apologist" is less laden with negativity than, say, other options like fanboy or "clouded by hype."

Looking "noticeably" better than Halo: Reach isn't saying much. But I'm guessing the Halo-apologists aren't the most impartial of posters.

"Halo apologists"?

There are definitely a few people here who are a little clouded by hype/fandom, but sheesh. Halo isn't an act of assault or a war crime.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Halo apologists"?

But little did BigJiantRobut know that Halo invented the FPS genre and should therefore be held accountable for such a far-reaching travesty.

Apath

Apologist is a formal, yet neutral term. It simply refers someone who defends an idea or action -- good or bad. "Apologist" is less laden with negativity than, say, other options like fanboy or "clouded by hype."

Halo Reach is a good looking game, especially when you consider what it's doing with the level of graphics it has.

Stop being logical, the game looks terrible.

Haha. Seriously, though. It's not like it can improve by leaps and bounds. It looks like Halo - like current-gen, what-we're-used-to Halo. And don't get me wrong; that's by no means bad, but that gif everyone keeps alluding to isn't even that impressive. I'm just expecting more and I think everyone else should, too, with such comments being thrown around here.

What video are those Halo 4 .gifs from? It looks damn nice.

They're from this video.

Halo 4 is not running at 320x240 with 2x2 supersampling applied, as those gifs would imply.

Download the well compressed 720p video, then (Gamersyde failed in this instance, for some reason, uploading a poorly recompressed version with some playback issues), it looks just as impressive there - worse AA, but a lot more detail that gets lost in small gifs.

4 will look amazing i suspect, reach was already upper tier, and the lighting in the few seconds of mp they showed was sublime.

so i'm expecting big things out of single player. hoping anyway...

sp3000

Halo Reach is a good looking game, especially when you consider what it's doing with the level of graphics it has.

In Single Player yes. In Multiplayer the graphics were much worse. In Forge World on the other hand everything looked like complete crap, since Bungie forgot to implement any sort of dynamic lighting solution for the entire map. And naturally, half the maps that showed up online were usually cheaply built forge world variations.

Anteater

The hell is going on in this thread, Halo 4 looks nice, the main game might not look exactly like the screenshots quite obviously, but I don't think it matters because this is Gameinformer hyping about screenshots, if they're equivalent to the ones we got from the videos and GIFs posted here in high resolution, they'd look nice.

derFeef

Aw man, this is going in circles again "Halo 4 lolz" - "But Halo 4 is gorgeous" "no look at this killzone gif"

argh :-/ Thursday can't come soon enough.

Would be nice if it was GoW4....without Kratos though. To be honest, if they are introducing a new protagonist, it might be a better plan to begin anew on PS4...

Halo 4 is a decent guess but I am not sure why pics would be a particularly big deal when we have actually seen it in motion. On the other hand, we obviously haven't seen any of the big set pieces yet.

I honestly can't think of much that could be done for this gen that could dazzle by just screens though....

watership

Would be nice if it was GoW4....without Kratos though. To be honest, if they are introducing a new protagonist, it might be a better plan to begin anew on PS4...

Halo 4 is a decent guess but I am not sure why pics would be a particularly big deal when we have actually seen it in motion. On the other hand, we obviously haven't seen any of the big set pieces yet.

I honestly can't think of much that could be done for this gen that could dazzle by just screens though....

What's God of War without and mondo angry Kratos? That's the whole game.

Seeing as this is the release year of the Wii U, and it being more powerful than 360/PS3, it is quite possible that they're talking of a Wii U game.

Top Bottom