• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

Druz said:
Don't be a baby. Even if the game is shit you can't dismiss an entire studio because of one team. Cough.... come on over to COH

Yeah, but didn't relic lose a few of their stars to blizzard?

DoW+WE are still awesome.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
bistromathics said:
finally ponied up for this. kinda surprised that it looks and runs significantly worse than CoH...is this normal?
my bad...reinstalled windows a couple days ago and forgot to upgrade my drivers. game looks awesome and runs well.

CTLance

Just played a bit again. I wish I had a rudimentary damage calculator.

Since I can't just beam my guys up and re-equip them once I've started a mission I might be stuck with a vastly inferior weapon choice.

I suspect my battle against the Ork chieftain in the tank would have been far easier if I'd equipped Avitus with his shoddy rocket launcher - but it does only a third of the base damage his rare heavy bolter does. I just don't know which would be better against an armored vehicle.

Vaporak

CTLance said:
Just played a bit again. I wish I had a rudimentary damage calculator.

Since I can't just beam my guys up and re-equip them once I've started a mission I might be stuck with a vastly inferior weapon choice.

I suspect my battle against the Ork chieftain in the tank would have been far easier if I'd equipped Avitus with his shoddy rocket launcher - but it does only a third of the base damage his rare heavy bolter does. I just don't know which would be better against an armored vehicle.

The missile launcher by FAR. Raw DPS doesn't mean that much, weapon effectiveness is more important I found.

1.2.1 Patch Notes

This patch is currently scheduled to go live on April 13 at 12 noon PST, 19:00 GMT.

===============================
Patch 1.2.1
===============================

PVP

• New Team Battle map added! "(6p) Tiber Outpost" is now available for play.

PvP Gameplay

• Implemented final fixes for the Population Cap issue as noted in Patch 1.1.3. This included reverting the temporary changes made in Patch 1.1.3.

• Tyranid Warrior Adrenal Gland upgrade damage reduced from 52 to 40

• Energy Shields no longer regenerate while active – This includes the Zoanthrope, Falcon, Hive Tyrant, Warlock, Force Commander, Mekboy and Techmarine

• Energy Shield conversion modifier reduced from .2 to .25

• Energy Shields now have an 8 second toggle on / toggle off time.

• Falcon Energy regeneration reduced from 3 to .5

• Melee damage reduction versus Rippers reduced from .25 to .3

• Zoanthrope Focus Blast now immobilizes vehicles for 12 seconds from 15

• Guardian Battle Equipment cost increased to 50/15 from 40/10

• Carnifex cost increased to 600/135 from 550/125

• Tactical Sergeant's melee special attack reduced to 28 from 50

• "And They Shall Know No Fear" now debuffs Tactical Marine melee damage by .6

• Spore Mines can no longer enter Ravener Tunnels and Webway Gates

• Warp Spider deathspinner damage increased from 20 to 30

• Warp Spider Exarch dual deathspinner damage increased from 30 to 35

Achievements

• Fixed an issue where campaign completion achievements were sometimes not awarded

Ranking and Online Stats

• Fixed an issue where players were awarded a win in Ranked multiplayer matches after modifying local files.

Matchmaking

• Fixed an issue with automatching code to help provide better quality matches based on TrueSkill™ Rankings.

• Fixed an issue allowing players with mismatched data to be grouped together.

Miscellaneous

• Updated BugSplat error reporting to new version.

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=561

• Tyranid Warrior Adrenal Gland upgrade damage reduced from 52 to 40
Does this mean that Warriors aren't that lethal anymore, as soon as they knock your unit off their feet? I honestly don't know, since I've never played Tyrannid before.

And cheers for (hopefully) not being paired with Force Commander dipshits as often anymore thanks to those Energy Shield modifications.

Mohonky

Some things about this game are really fucking irritating, and they become even more irritating when you try and play the game on Primarch difficulty.

- units take to long to begin moving when a grenade is thrown at them, even when they don't have to 'take down' their weaponry. By the time I've seen an attack coming from a grenade or a boss and have hit retreat the units continue standing there for so long I get fucked up anyway.

- why when selecting units if there is a downed unit, does it select them? Wtf am I going to do with a downed unit? I want the units around the downed unit.

- throwing a grenade or ordering an attack carries the attack out where I click, not the unit I clicked on. By the time your units bother to do anything the enemy is usually no where near where I've ordered them to jump assault or to throw a grenade. I clicked on the units to attack so attack them, no where they were standing 3 seconds ago.

Farkkkkk theres a tonne more stuff shitting me about this game, it's just a culmination of stupid little shit that adds up.

Erudite

For those who didn't get the achievement for completing the game, just access the "Complete" option during the Campaign Selection screen. It'll give you all the achievements for completing the campaign up to the highest difficulty you chose.

i hate bees said:
The warrior's are still pretty lethal but vehicles are quite a bit more durable against them, which is nice!

Energy shield's are still good (when used problem) but you can't end up with a situation where the shield regens faster than it can be damaged, it reduces the effectiveness of the Eldar Falcon quite a bit at T3 however.

Warp Spiders are much more threatening, I should think they'll get a longer timer on their jump ability as at the moment a well micro'd squad are practically invincible, the best counter is snipers.

Great patch so far, new map's nice.
Maybe I can actually get my Wraithlord away from Warriors now.
Looks like I can give Warp Spiders another chance now.

MicVlaD said:
Does this mean that Warriors aren't that lethal anymore, as soon as they knock your unit off their feet? I honestly don't know, since I've never played Tyrannid before.

And cheers for (hopefully) not being paired with Force Commander dipshits as often anymore thanks to those Energy Shield modifications.

The warrior's are still pretty lethal but vehicles are quite a bit more durable against them, which is nice!

Energy shield's are still good (when used problem) but you can't end up with a situation where the shield regens faster than it can be damaged, it reduces the effectiveness of the Eldar Falcon quite a bit at T3 however.

Warp Spiders are much more threatening, I should think they'll get a longer timer on their jump ability as at the moment a well micro'd squad are practically invincible, the best counter is snipers.

Great patch so far, new map's nice.

Mohonky said:
- throwing a grenade or ordering an attack carries the attack out where I click, not the unit I clicked on. By the time your units bother to do anything the enemy is usually no where near where I've ordered them to jump assault or to throw a grenade. I clicked on the units to attack so attack them, no where they were standing 3 seconds ago.

Part of the challenge of successfully using a grenade is timing it so it does maximum damage to as many units. Frags also damage cover and environmental obstacles. Makes more sense to me that you would be marking the ground, not the unit.

Same with jump units, jumping out of battle is just as crucial as jumping in... makes more sense to mark the ground in every case.

I agree with your first two points though. Try watching a replay on 2x time and imagine if the game played like THAT (would be awesome).

ghst

thanks for the laugh
all good changes. relic are insistent that this is just a minor prelude to the big patch on it's way, but given their record for over-compensation and bug introduction (coh is a fucking mess right now) i wonder if a series of minor patches would serve the community better.

i guess not having to certify through microsoft would've helped with that plan (code certification introduces a two week delay, even if the changes have nothing to do with gfwl).

I picked this game up 2 days before it went on sale on Steam. The game is ridiculously gorgeous at the highest settings and even on the lowest settings, it looks good (my friend showed this game off to me with his low end rig P4, 6600GT) Anyways I have a few questions.

1) Is there a vsync option in this game? I can't seem to find it in the options menu.

2) What are some good places for multiplayer resources? I'm getting hammered right now as the last RTS I played was AOE2 and I wasn't even that great at it. Mainly picked up this game to be the 2nd/3rd wheel and play with my friends.

adg1034

I've got a question- PC games, as a rule, are never region-specific, but I've heard rumblings about that changing with this title, due to its Steamworks integration. Is this true?

Gully State said:
I picked this game up 2 days before it went on sale on Steam. The game is ridiculously gorgeous at the highest settings and even on the lowest settings, it looks good (my friend showed this game off to me with his low end rig P4, 6600GT) Anyways I have a few questions.

1) Is there a vsync option in this game? I can't seem to find it in the options menu.

2) What are some good places for multiplayer resources? I'm getting hammered right now as the last RTS I played was AOE2 and I wasn't even that great at it. Mainly picked up this game to be the 2nd/3rd wheel and play with my friends.

1) Force it in your Nvidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center (for nvidia and ati cards respectively)

2) Try gamereplays http://www.gamereplays.org/portals.php

ghst

thanks for the laugh
adg1034 said:
I've got a question- PC games, as a rule, are never region-specific, but I've heard rumblings about that changing with this title, due to its Steamworks integration. Is this true?

no.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Gully State said:
Thanks for the answers, also is there a faction that's more beginner friendly than the rest?

previous to this last patch i would've said tyranids, but now i'd say that all the factions (except eldar) are pretty beginner friendly. space marines are the best for anyone new to rts since you'll field relatively few units. tyranids/orks if you're more accustomed to traditional rts.

adg1034

One last question- I'm this close to buying a used copy off eBay, but I'm not sure how Steamworks handles someone entering a CD key for the second time. Would the key be permanently tied to the original Steam account?

CTLance

I doubt you can use a second-hand copy, adg1034. Welcome to the awesome new age of digital distribution. :-/

Anyone else having problems with the recent update?
I just spent five minutes watching a Left4dead advertisement and loading bar, and then this:
mtlenm.png

Oh fuck you, steam, I just wanted to watch a replay. :-/

adg1034 said:
One last question- I'm this close to buying a used copy off eBay, but I'm not sure how Steamworks handles someone entering a CD key for the second time. Would the key be permanently tied to the original Steam account?

The CD Key or Product Key is tied to a Steam account. If the original owner used it on Steam, you would need to use their Steam account to play the game.

adg1034

shrapnelmagnet said:
The CD Key or Product Key is tied to a Steam account. If the original owner used it on Steam, you would need to use their Steam account to play the game.

That's what I figured, and that's why I held off on buying it. Too bad for whoever won.

DOW2 Official Soundtrack has been released for free :)

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=577

We are really excited to bring to our fans the Dawn of War II Official Soundtrack. This is the product of a lot of work from some very talented people including our Composer, Doyle W. Donehoo and our Audio Lead, Jason Ross with contributions by Artist, Noah Stacey and Noobie Noobinson. We would really like to thank Games Workshop and THQ for giving us the go ahead to release this to the fans free of charge — most people make you pay extra for this kind of thing — and to Steam for hosting it.

Below you will find 20 great tracks, streamable from youtube and downloadable in high 320kbps quality. We’ve also turned the incredible Soundtrack Album art into wallpaper for you to slap all over your desktop. After that there is commentary about the Soundtrack and the people contributing to it. It’s certainly worth a read.

ost_wallpaper_1024x768.jpg

Jason Ross on how the soundtrack came together “We have had a lot of positive feedback regarding the music in Dawn Of War II, from people sending fan email to our composer, to others asking if there will be release of the soundtrack. Hopefully fans want a soundtrack so it can be played at excessive volumes during tabletop games; frightening the neighbors and scaring pets. All the positive comments brought on talk of getting the music out to the fans, but before we could get our ducks lined up, a clever community member made the in-game songs available to the forum community.

However, as sound lead for DOW II, I had issues with this. First up, the tracks in-game are meant for the adaptive music engine, so they’re split into multichannel files which music playing software doesn’t always know how to handle. Therefore people were likely only hearing half of the music. Secondly the tracks in-game are edited and mixed for longer gameplay matches, so they’re not actually what Doyle W. Donehoo intended to be the final stand alone track. Lastly, there were some mixing issues when all channels were collapsed to Stereo which are not a problem in game, but can sound odd when played as a regular music track.

At Relic we like to deliver the best possible quality on whatever we touch, so the versions floating around the net didn’t make me happy. I knew how good this music could sound, and people weren’t hearing that. Therefore, I spent a couple of weeks going back to the original uncompressed “stem mixes” delivered by Doyle, restored the original edits, balanced the mixes, then mastered & sequenced the whole thing together into a proper album. Someone even snuck in a little something extra for the fans before we encoded it all at 320kbps, a higher bitrate than the in-game content, and attached some killer cover art.

While we let “the suits” figure out how/when/where to get this out to the fans, I sent the development team a link to the soundtrack. These were folks who had been hearing much of this music for the last couple of years while playing the game, and yet they STILL got juiced hearing the themes, playing the album at their desks and outside of work. I heard reports of people listening to the DOW II music while playing _other_ games (instead of that games’ soundtrack), loving how huge and epic Doyle’s music made everything feel. As for me, I like hearing the music while careening through downtown traffic on my bicycle at high speeds, the huge horns of the Emperor putting to shame any kind of car horn taking issue with my relaxed interpretation of traffic laws. (note: Relic accepts no liability for damage caused by individual stupidity at the hands of Musically Huge Pure Epicness)

So I hope you enjoy the official Dawn Of War II soundtrack, I think Doyle did a great job crafting the musical sound to our game, and now you can enjoy it as it was meant to be heard, and that makes this audio lead happy.

Thanks for listening.”

Noobie Noobinson on the Remixed Track
“Noobie Noobinson is a mysterious orb-headed being that hails from the far reaches of deep space, where his great musical accomplishments have garnered a fanatical following amongst many different races of advanced beings.

He is most famous in this part of the galaxy for his work with The Double Boomskees; two musicians from Vancouver, Canada, whom he periodically stays with to write music, party, and play video games.

It was during one such gaming session that Noobinson developed a love for Dawn of War II, and went straight to THQ executive headquarters with a proposition to remix a song, to which they agreed after only seconds of closed-door deliberation.

The finished track is a twisted concoction of the original orchestral tracks, mixed with various sound effects from the game itself, as well as a light spicing of dark beats, space bass, and grim guitar riffs.

He hopes you enjoy it, and maybe you’ll see him online...”

Noah Stacey on the Cover Art
“Personally, I feel that the Tyranids are the star of DOW II; the fans have wanted them for a long time, and Space Marines always get all the glory, so this time I wanted to give them the spotlight.

This Carnifex howls at the sky in satisfaction as spores rain from the clouds and high-level Tyranids run amok devouring anything and everything.”

Ridic.

If you like the Bonus Remix track, check out more Noobie Noobinson here: http://noobienoobinsonandthedoubleboomskees.bandcamp.com/

Download the whole Soundtrack here http://store.steampowered.com/app/15620/ (bottom of the page after the age-gate)

played a few co-op missions in Primarch (hardest) difficulty last night. Might have been the best co-op experience I've ever had. I highly recommend co-op in this game, especially on the primarch difficulty. Get ready for a challenge that absolutely requires strategic planning, teamwork, and skill.

MrCompletely said:
played a few co-op missions in Primarch (hardest) difficulty last night. Might have been the best co-op experience I've ever had. I highly recommend co-op in this game, especially on the primarch difficulty. Get ready for a challenge that absolutely requires strategic planning, teamwork, and skill.
I actually need partners for co-op. If anyone wants to play, my GT is Kestastrophe

Odrion said:
what the hell was I looking at then o_o

I dunno but the date of the post you quoted was 4/15/09

-Anyways I'm trying to get into multiplayer and not suck but my last few forrays into it have been embarassingly unsuccessful. I don't have high goals either, just want to be the 3rd wheel of a 3 v 3 team. I think one of my main problems is build order. I have no idea how to upgrade/advance the tech tree/build units fast enough. I've watched a lot of matches but it seems like the matches don't show build orders.

Gully State said:
-Anyways I'm trying to get into multiplayer and not suck but my last few forrays into it have been embarassingly unsuccessful. I don't have high goals either, just want to be the 3rd wheel of a 3 v 3 team. I think one of my main problems is build order. I have no idea how to upgrade/advance the tech tree/build units fast enough. I've watched a lot of matches but it seems like the matches don't show build orders.

Check out Gamereplays.org, there's a lot of info and talk on the forums about build orders. there's also a lot of talk about it on the official DoW2 forums. I think the best bet is just feeling out what works best for you, and what works best against whichever faction your opponent is using.

Also, play a 1v1 comp stomp on a hard difficulty to get a feel for which units counter which. There's a lot of response in certain strategies, ie build tacmarines w/rockets when you see enemy vehicles, be prepped for a flank if you build devastors early, etc.

I'm no expert in multiplayer, I haven't played ranked matches since the beta, but I've played plenty of comp stomps and custom games, and plan on delving into ranked once I finish the campaign (which Im in love with).

MrCompletely said:
Check out Gamereplays.org, there's a lot of info and talk on the forums about build orders. there's also a lot of talk about it on the official DoW2 forums. I think the best bet is just feeling out what works best for you, and what works best against whichever faction your opponent is using.

Also, play a 1v1 comp stomp on a hard difficulty to get a feel for which units counter which. There's a lot of response in certain strategies, ie build tacmarines w/rockets when you see enemy vehicles, be prepped for a flank if you build devastors early, etc.

I'm no expert in multiplayer, I haven't played ranked matches since the beta, but I've played plenty of comp stomps and custom games, and plan on delving into ranked once I finish the campaign (which Im in love with).

Yeah, I know about gamereplays.org. That's where I frequent for replays and have read some of their articles. Since you brought it up, I realize I don't fully know what counters what in this game. That would probably be helpful to know. Anyways, I'm having a blast with the singleplayer. I'm surprised that game reviewers largely don't like it (edit: the singleplayer mode I mean). I think it's quite refreshing that they made singleplayer this "diablo with squads" affair.

Post on the Official Dow2 Page:

We’ve been busy! Dawn of War II is going to get a big patch in early May. This is the first of a series of posts where we will talk some details about what to expect in the update. As a bit of a preview, here are just a few things you can look forward to in the patch.

• We are adding a Two-on-Two game mode, with two new four player maps.
Two-on-Two is a ranked game mode with leaderboard support.
• An improved, more challenging Skirmish AI.
• Push to talk voice chat and Company of Heroes style sub-selection options.
• New squad decorators and significant UI improvements.
• A performance test to help measure Dawn of War II performance.

Over the next week we’ll be talking into detail about some of these additions right here. Keep an eye on this space as we post new information.

Top Bottom