• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=697

Here’s an exclusive Battle Report narrated by Jonny Ebbert, the lead designer on Dawn of War II, and Clint Tasker, a DOW II balance designer. The 24 minute video uses the new observer feature to showcase a battle between Colin “Hamu” Hamilton, a Tyranid player, and Braden “bC” Chan who plays as Eldar. The battle takes place on Outer Reaches, a two-player map designed to be an homage to a map from the original Dawn of War game.

Jonny and Clint reveal balance changes, unit updates, and new strategies introduced in the ‘There is Only War’ update. They also explain how tier-1 pacing has been adjusted to make the early game more interesting to play.

The video is also available on Steam to download, if you want to view a 720p, 745 MB high-resolution version of the action.

The video shows how ‘There is Only War’ brings diversity to unit roles between armies, and introduces strategies that players can use to directly counter an opposing force. We’re excited to roll out ‘There is Only War’ and know you’ll love the update once you get your hands on the Beta.

This is the first of two Developer Battles we’ll be posting this week. The next video will showcase Space Marines against Orks. Keep checking the site to find out how you can participate in the ‘There is Only War’ Beta launching later this summer.

markot

Banned
>_<

I want to get the game, but im cheap... that g2play thingy is tempting... but kinda too fishy.

And the fact that it uses Games for Windows live is reallllly off putting...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Well from what I understand the keys were from the EU, or they used to be, so I'm doing nothing wrong.

CTLance

Guys. The game is selling for a tenner at play.com. Since it's a steam game you can just enter your code and add it to your steam library.

There's just no excuse.

Man, that video looked interesting. I kind of wish I wasn't such rubbish at multiplayer and strategy-related games, this looks like a lot of fun.

markot said:
Didnt they ban or do some such to some people that bought HL2 or Orange Box from Thailand >.<?

No, the games just wouldn't register, the rest of your account was fine. These are Polish codes, so if you live within the EU, you should have no hold up about using them. Play.com sell the whole retail package for £10, so a site selling purely an activation code for 15 Euros hardly seems impossible considering that.

Won

Thanks to the game being cheap everywhere in Europe at the moment I finally got myself a copy yesterday.

So far I'm glad I didn't full price. The campaign so far is the same thing over and over and over. I hope it gets better or more complex at some point. :(

Also still not a fan of the multiplayer. Also wtf @ Force Commander? Saw some teammates running with him alone into the enemy tearing them up. o_O

No clear understanding of just how major the Tyrannid and Eldar changes are (the ones Relic wanted us to see in the first Battle Report that is) as I've never selected them before, but the tweaks they brought up during the second Battle Report most definitely sound like welcome balance modifications. Hopefully the update will also encourage the average Space Marine player (the kind with extremely boring spam + Force Commander tactics) to actually use some variety with their so-called "strategic" approach.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Just got done watching the first Battle Report #1. Holy shit they've brought Outer Reaches back. So good.This patch is looking like a whole new game.

I still have no love for Stefan Haines though.

MicVlaD said:
No clear understanding of just how major the Tyrannid and Eldar changes are (the ones Relic wanted us to see in the first Battle Report that is) as I've never selected them before, but the tweaks they brought up during the second Battle Report most definitely sound like welcome balance modifications. Hopefully the update will also encourage the average Space Marine player (the kind with extremely boring spam + Force Commander tactics) to actually use some variety with their so-called "strategic" approach.
No more Rippers in T1. This is huge. T1 Raveners instead.

Rebalanced Banshees and Guardians to do more damage.

New T2 Carnifex.

Gaunts have new abilities and upgrades.

K.Jack

Nocebo said:
Do they do more or less damage than before they were patched to do less damage?:lol
Just judging from the video, it looks like Shees are back to being melee nightmares, but not to the point where they'll slaughter everything.

The Guardians look like they can stand up to Shootas now.

so i picked this up today from play.

first impressions being that this is a good game underneath what i feel to be a clumsy UI. the camera controls with having to hold alt to alter camera angle as opposed to just holding right click down really feels jerky and awkward. the need to use the arrow keys to move the screen would be ok if it wasnt so necessary to use the numbers to select a squad. speaking of which why does it keep going up the numbers when a squad is created and not replace one where one has died?

for example 1-3 squads are out squad two dies and squad 4 is created instead of giving it number 2? why is this? is there a way to give them different numbers?

of course most of this could be alleviated if relic treated me like an adult and let me map my own goddamn keys! please tell me they are patching that in.

other then that like i said it feels like there is a good game here waiting to be played.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Blue Geezer said:
so i picked this up today from play.

first impressions being that this is a good game underneath what i feel to be a clumsy UI. the camera controls with having to hold alt to alter camera angle as opposed to just holding right click down really feels jerky and awkward. the need to use the arrow keys to move the screen would be ok if it wasnt so necessary to use the numbers to select a squad. speaking of which why does it keep going up the numbers when a squad is created and not replace one where one has died?

for example 1-3 squads are out squad two dies and squad 4 is created instead of giving it number 2? why is this? is there a way to give them different numbers?

of course most of this could be alleviated if relic treated me like an adult and let me map my own goddamn keys! please tell me they are patching that in.

other then that like i said it feels like there is a good game here waiting to be played.

Use WSDA to move the camera.
CTRL+"Number from 1 to 10" = Assign new number to a Squad (or multiple selected Squads)

Des0lar said:
Use WSDA to move the camera.
errrrrr?

what? how? this would help naturally but it doesnt work for me? am i missing something really basic?

Des0lar said:
CTRL+"Number from 1 to 10" = Assign new number to a Squad (or multiple selected Squads)

ah! hmm thought i tried that just checked and it works thanks i coulda sworn i had tried it oh well.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Blue Geezer said:
errrrrr?

what? how? this would help naturally but it doesnt work for me? am i missing something really basic?

Ok I'm sorry, my memory failed me :lol I'm simply using mouse scroll.

LowParry

Blue Geezer said:

Having the option to move your camera instead of using your mouse to off screen move actually helps keep units in check and what not. It helps me with crowd control so I'm doing less mouse work. If that option was there ;)

Des0lar said:
Ok I'm sorry, my memory failed me :lol I'm simply using mouse scroll.

curse you! you got my hopes up :(

CcrooK said:
Having the option to move your camera instead of using your mouse to off screen move actually helps keep units in check and what not. It helps me with crowd control so I'm doing less mouse work. If that option was there ;)

yes exactly. i feel due to how i am i like to view the battlefield select the unit via hotkey and then right click the action to be done. using a combination of both hands this is faster when the left hand scrolls the camera. it feels much slower scrolling with the mouse then performing an action. ESDF would be the best solution (ESDF > WASD :p) for the entire situation and would really help!

Won

I know I'm late to the party, but wow at the amount of Space Marine players out there. 9 out of 12 players were SM in my last 2 games. :lol

Darklord

Banned
As much as I like the new maps and changes coming I hope to hear about an expansion or new single player campaign.

I'm worried Scout rushing will be insanely over powered in early game in this new patch. It just sounds like they buffed them too much. Faster, much much stronger and more damage? Geez, a scout with shotguns was already decent again T1 units.

K.Jack

• (2p) Calderis Refinery
• (2p) Outer Reaches
• (2p) Leviathan Hive
• (2p) Legis High Stratum
New 1v1 maps..... Praise the Emperor! :lol

Please tell be they're all being added to ranked.
_tetsuo_ said:
Epic notes
I just started, and will be up all night reading these.

Darklord said:
Jesus Christ! I won't even recognize the game.:lol
1.4 is the first expansion!

Darklord

Banned
• Reduced the damage of Stikkbombs from 175 to 58

FUUUUUUUUUU. That's a big drop! I love Stikkbommas. I hope the extra bombs and added unit balances them out.

Edit:

• Changed the damage type of Rokkit Barrage from rocket to artillery

Whats the difference? Does Artillery do more to infantry and less or vehicles or something?

Top Bottom