• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 2 |OT| FOR THE EMPEROR!!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Darklord said:
• Reduced the damage of Stikkbombs from 175 to 58

FUUUUUUUUUU. That's a big drop! I love Stikkbommas. I hope the extra bombs and added unit balances them out.
They don't want power gens getting instagibbed anymore.
Edit:

• Changed the damage type of Rokkit Barrage from rocket to artillery

Whats the difference? Does Artillery do more to infantry and less or vehicles or something?
Might be an AOE thing? I dunno.

I love the changes to the Kommando. He's my main Commander.

Hmm, not too sure about Sniper Scouts losing their cloak ability. I understand why they removed it for the Shotgun squads as it would've been quite easy to abuse that skill combined with their new knockback perk, but since the Space Marine snipers don't have anything like that (unlike say the Eldar snipers)... Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Won

MicVlaD said:
Hmm, not too sure about Sniper Scouts losing their cloak ability. I understand why they removed it for the Shotgun squads as it would've been quite easy to abuse that skill combined with their new knockback perk, but since the Space Marine snipers don't have anything like that (unlike say the Eldar snipers)... Guess I'll have to wait and see.

• Added the Advanced Infiltration Training ability, an upgrade that unlocks the infiltration ability for a scout squad

Also do I see that right and are there really no mentions of the new Tier upgrade costs and the Tier 1 vehicle soft counters?

CTLance

New option lets observers see enemy movements beneath the Fog of War
Huh. Waaaaait. Isn't that just asking for people to cheat? All you need is a second client and you can see past the fog... or am I misunderstanding things here.

Won

CTLance said:
Huh. Waaaaait. Isn't that just asking for people to cheat? All you need is a second client and you can see past the fog... or am I misunderstanding things here.

If you are an observer you could just turn of the fog anyway. It is just small gimmick feature to see one players field of view, without missing out on the other players movement.

Darklord

Banned
CTLance said:

It wouldn't be in ranked games so it's not like it would really matter too much.

K.Jack

It comes with great regret that we need to delay the launch of the ‘There is Only War’ Beta to tomorrow, Thursday, July 2nd at 2:00 PM PST (22:00 GMT). We are experiencing an unforeseen technical problem and believe it will be resolved in the next 24 hours.

We know you’re all really excited to get your hands on the new maps, balance and features – so are we. Please bear with us.

-The DOWII Team
sad_face.gif

Won

It is up, but apparently matchmaking not working.

Super fast download. Have no idea where Steam finds the bandwith on my connection. :lol

New colors are craaaaaazy. Super reflection to blind your enemies! (was probably always there and I just never bothered with it^^)

Datawhore

on the 15th floor
markot said:
Whats your icon of my relic man >.>?

And nice stuff ^_^

A buddy of mine's face printed on paper, pasted to a blow up doll.

We had a cabin weekend with Da Boyz, and he failed to show up so we partied with this much cooler version of him.

The beta is up

'There is Only War,' The massive update for Dawn of War II will first be available as an open Beta to all owners of Dawn of War II. Players can now participate in the Beta through their Steam client. Details below.

* Launch Steam and go to File > Settings
* On the 'Account' tab of the Settings window, under the 'Beta participation' section, click the button that says "Change..."
* Select the Dawn of War 2 Beta from the drop down list on the pop-up window.
* Click OK and you'll be prompted to restart Steam.
* When Steam starts back up, your copy of Dawn of War II will automatically update to include the beta content.
* Launch the game to enter the beta.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/2633/

Won

Played two games with Eldar. One against the cpu (man I hate the AI in relic games) and one against a human opponent.
So far it is good too see more infantry on the field, but I'm not so sure about the pricing of the units. (at least with the Eldar)
Will see how everything plays out in the upcoming days.

Oh and SM players are crying now. That alone makes the patch worthwhile. :lol

Won

Ok, who the fuck is the crazy maniac at Relic that designed Angel Gate? :lol

I saw a red circle after only few seconds in the south and after that it never stopped down there with action and explosions. Took awhile till we all realized that we still need to capture VPs. :lol
Now watching the replay of that.

Late edit: 1vs1 in this game is still ridiculous stupid.

Yeah, so trying to play this again in multi after some months probably wasn't a smart idea, especially trying it in the beta where everyone is good. Hey team of 1 (me), 8 and 12, would you like 3 22s to play against? No you stupid Trueskill we wouldn't.

I just can't micro fast enough, I like long sloooooooooooooooooooow games, which I know is not DOW2, but we'd never been beaten this fast before, it felt ridiculous. "Oh, is it 5 minutes already, you have no chance of getting those points anymore, sucks to be you." I don't get how making it so fast is fun, I tried watching some Starcraft vids and barring the godawful resolution (which is why I've never played it) I had no goddamned idea what was going on. I miss selecting 20 mammoth tanks in RA1 and clicking attack :lol

Did finally finish the last mission with the Beta patch though, bit anti-climatic I felt, the surprise in the last mission was a bit obvious.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Beta's finally over. What did everyone think?

I'm pretty terrible at the multiplayer, so I don't have much constructive stuff to say, but the slow Tier 2 and relatively easy Tier 3 just seems to have completely invalidated most T2 units. I've seen quite a few people just tier up to tanks if they have the power farms.

Won

Lyphen said:
Won said:
1vs1 in this game is still ridiculous stupid.

Well, I never liked 1vs1 in this game and I honestly think that this patch made it even worse. It just doesn't work.

I still enjoy 3vs3. Mindless fun. Too bad it didn't work properly in the beta, so nothing to comment here, but what I saw from the few games that started I have a bad feeling.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Lyphen said:

I'm pretty terrible at the multiplayer, so I don't have much constructive stuff to say, but the slow Tier 2 and relatively easy Tier 3 just seems to have completely invalidated most T2 units. I've seen quite a few people just tier up to tanks if they have the power farms.

it won me over by the end. 1.41 was a sorry fucking state of affairs that made 1.3 look like some kind of balance valhalla. 1.42 fixed much of that (and proved how much more competent iterative patching is than these ridiculous "overhauls"), and i started having fun again, even if i'm still not entirely convinced by the new direction.

Heroic Pidgeon

Neo Member
Lyphen said:

Some loose chinks here and there (especially space marines and blob wise) but overall a vast improvement over 1.3.2. Longer T1 was an excellent decision and they cut a lot of the Tyranid bullshit (though BS warriors are even more ridiculous than before).
The most messed up match-up that needs a good look at is Eldar-SM. I don't follow Relic's thought on placing markers on singularity and Group teleport and nerfing anti-blob weaponry while buffing tac heavy armor en damage through the roof. Tac blobs of competent players are unstoppable. Turrets also need to be extremely squishy during build-up.

That aside I did have fun with the beta.

Lyphen said:
but the slow Tier 2 and relatively easy Tier 3 just seems to have completely invalidated most T2 units. I've seen quite a few people just tier up to tanks if they have the power farms.
'if they have the power farms' being the keyword here. Well, the new tanks were made more brutal (with the exception of the fire prism which got its explosive damage halved) and mobile (tweaked speed/pathfinding making them more reliable on the battlefield) but T2 units aren't too bad off. T3 teching could take some added research time though, resource wise it seems fine.

Skipping T2 is still popular strat for Orks though. Can't blame 'em with such a cheap and effective Looted Tank - and by the time plasma devs and whatnot hit the field you're better off wielding nobz. Their T2 got more useful though.

@ghst - I assume you're a Space Marine player. 1.4.1 was pretty fine except for heavy armor (which was notably gimped because they shouldn't have given orks and nidz power weapons). Got buffed too much in 1.4.2 and the damage buff was completely unnecessary as well.

Heroic Pidgeon

Neo Member
Well, many Tyranid players were upset the otherwise perfectly viable "play while drunk and stoned and use attack-move to win and pretend you're a micro genius on the official forums" isn't as effective anymore and now resorted to tac blobbing.

Otherwise the stats are still very much the same from the original beta. http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=516

They don't really tell much. The terribly low average TS tells most commanders/races were picked based on looks rather than game balance.

mrgone

Dawn of War II requires Steam, doesn't it? Does this mean that we can purchase the Direct2Drive version, then link it to Steam as if it were the retail version and have the standard unlimited online downloads Steam games have?

Erudite

mrgone said:
Dawn of War II requires Steam, doesn't it? Does this mean that we can purchase the Direct2Drive version, then link it to Steam as if it were the retail version and have the standard unlimited online downloads Steam games have?
Yep

K.Jack

I'm done for now, because I just can't go back to 1.3.2. But when the official 1.4 patch hits, let's get some GAF games together.

In other news, I found this old Ork flowchart amusing:

Ork_flowchart.png

LowParry

Yeah, it's hard to go back to 1.3 after so much time with 1.4. Hopefully it comes out soon. I've been itching to play.

On Thursday, July 30th at 11:00 AM PST (19:00 GMT) all Dawn of War II owners will receive the massive ‘There is Only War’ update, complete with new features, new content, balance updates, and bug fixes.

========================
There is Only War Release Notes 1.5.0
========================

World Builder
• Added the World Builder how-to guide to the root directory
• Fixed a bug where adding a horizon-mesh would cause World Builder to crash

Observer Feature
• Pressing ESC now gets rid of the observer/replay attention arrow. If a unit is selected and an arrow is present, pressing ESC deselects the units. Pressing it again removes the arrow
• Selecting the HQ displays the player’s current tech tier
Balance Changes

Tyranid Balance Changes
• The Ravener Alpha’s Hardened Carapace grants 100 health
• Both Carnifexes cannot be repaired
• Sporemine durability vs. small arms increased from 60 to 150 hp
• Screamer Killer Venom Cannon damage increased to 75 from 55 and removes the Spore Cysts ability
• Tier 2 Carnifex damage increased from 200 to 250
• Zoanthrope damage increased from 70 to 80, energy cost reduction on Focus Blast from 80 to 65
• Termagant damage increase on Toxin Sacs upgrade from 1.2 to 1.35
• Tyranid Warriors’ hitpoints increased from 320 to 360, Barbed Strangler damage decreased to 45 from 60
• Hive Tyrant’s Venom Cannon damage decreased from 75 to 55

Ork Balance Changes
• Slugga Nob damage reduced to 85, Nob Squad Choppa damage increased to 100
• The Kommando knife no longer refunds energy and resets cooldown after killing a target
• Warboss’ big stomp radius UI was changed to 10 m
• Warboss’ Kustom Shoota can now fire on the move
• Warboss’ Angry Bits health regeneration lowered from 1.5 to 1, cooldown from 15 seconds to 30
• Tankbusta population cost lowered 4 to 3
• Slugga Nob Leader damage lowered (due to accidental buff)
• Warboss Stomp damage lowered 40 to 30
• Kommando Nob Leader’s hammer damage increased 100 to 175
• Slugga damage increased to 25

Space Marine Balance Changes
• Scouts can now repair while using a sniper rifle
• Set the Apothecary’s Rapid Fire ability to no longer knockback retreating units
• Force Commander with Terminator Armor now has a Cleansing Flame ability on his heavy flamer (costs 50 energy)
• Purification Rights damage decreased from 30 to 15
• Relay Beacon health regeneration rate decreased .4 to .15
• Force Commander’s hitpoints increased from 720 to 820
• Tactical Marine bolter damage decreased to 25
• Tactical marine melee damage reduced from 22 to 19
• Purification rites no longer affects retreating units

Eldar Balance Changes
• Spiritual rites radius UI was changed to 15m
• The Fire Prism’s explosive shot no longer affects retreating units
• Warpspider squad member hitpoints slightly reduced from 200 to 160, Exarchs from 240 to 200
• Fire Prism’s Focus Beam cooldown reduced from 4.5 to 3 seconds
• Debuff removed from Immolator
• Warp Spider Exarch’s Improved Targets are moved to tier 1
• Banshee’s damage increased to 35 from 33

General Balance Changes
• Zeal/Biomass/Psychic Might/Waaagh! amount from killing/losing units increased by 20%
• Piercing damage modifier vs. Heavy armor decreased to 67%
• Turret damage at long range increased from .15 to .3
• Turrets inflict increased supression, have a minimum range of 2 m, armor type changed to be more vulnerable from small arms fire .01 to .2
• Suppression weapons received the following changes:
• Setup and teardown times reduced by 1 second respectively
• 0.2 to 0.3 at long range
• 1 to 1.25 at medium range
• 2 to 2.75 at short range
• Suppression damage increased from 300 to 400
Bug Fixes

Tyranid Bug Fixes
• Fixed a bug where Bioplasma would not fire if targeted units ran out of the line of sight
• Fixed the broken image on the Ravener Alpha’s ‘exit tunnel’ ‘cancel construction’ ability

Ork Bug Fixes
• Shoota Boyz Aiming? Wotz Dat? tool tip no longer mentions immobility
• Nob squad tool tip mentions Meaner an’ Greener instead of Nob Kit
• Kommando squad tool tip no longer mentions Kommando Kit

Space Marine Bug Fixes
• The Dreadnought’s auto cannon ability previews its energy cost properly

Eldar Bug Fixes
• The Farseer’s Ghosthelm tool tip no longer mentions damage to self, mentions suppression
• The Farseer’s Mindwar tool tip mentions suppression
• Warpspider Exarch powerblades tool tip mentions they are effective against infantry

UI Bugs
• Added a missing tooltip for observers in the multiplayer games list
• Fixed a bug causing player loading bars to be cut off in 1280×1024 resolutions

Performance Bugs
• Fixed a bug that disallowed users with high-end machines to set their graphics settings to “Ultra”
• Fixed a fatal scar error involving Anti Armor in the campaign

Gameplay Bugs
• Fixed an exploit where repeatedly setting up and tearing down the Ranger’s sniper rifle would increase the unit’s firing rate
• Fixed a bug involving melee units targeting retreating units
• Stabilized randomness of units using special attacks
• Fixed an exploit where players could make units at the HQ retreat “towards” a relay beacon in the field
• Fixed a bug where clicking on a hero’s portrait would render targetable abilities unusable

Map Fixes
• Fixed an exploit in (6p) Ruins of Argus where players could build structures and move units in an impassible area

Post-game bugs
• Fixed a bug where incorrect trueskill values were shown after viewing a player’s statistics screen in the post-game
• Fixed a crash that occurred when viewing another player’s statistics during a game-starting countdown

Networking Improvements
• Fixed a networking bug that caused users to lag and disconnect due to a proxy communication problem

http://community.dawnofwar2.com/blogs/?p=761

ghst

thanks for the laugh
given the complete overhaul of the multiplayer game, it would've been an extremely smart move of relic/thq to couple the update/price cut with a free multi weekend. akin to that of the original beta.

LowParry

Lyphen said:
Damned servers are getting raped - can't even get the patch download started!

Yeah, I'm running around 100 KB/s when I normally around over 900 KB/s. So glad it's up today. Playing 1.3 was so wacked that I couldn't play it.

Won

Looks like the sale was a success. Always have at least one person in my team, who doesn't cap points. But at least they know how to lose their commanders after only one minute. :lol

:(

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Oh shit! New co-op defense gametype! I'm super excited for this, since I mostly suck a nut at multiplayer. Speaking of, I wish they'd add some kind of tutorial for the multiplayer, or better yet, make the skirmish AI worth playing against. I can kick an Expert AI easily, but that's mostly because it's horrible and does nothing but run around and capture points, without making any kind of aggressive pushes.

Anyway:

http://www.paxsite.com/schedule.php

Sunday, 11:30am - 12:30pm, Raven Theatre
Dawn of War II: Last Stand – Discover a game mode where it’s fun to lose.
To date, Dawn of War II’s core offerings have been its epic progression-based Campaign and fast-paced multiplayer that let you get straight to the action. In this panel, Relic developers will unveil a brand new game mode called The Last Stand that will expand the game to include co-operative based arcade gameplay. We will discuss the design intent and some of the obstacles we overcame while developing The Last Stand as well as the gameplay mechanics we used to ensure no one ever feels like a loser.

Top Bottom