• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX might be region free

See above your post.

yeah I saw it. and tbh too lazy to edit considering our posts are just 1 minutes apart, and even if I edit it, you'll miss it anyway :p

at least we don't have to resort to hacking to play games a year earlier if they make it region free.

i'm not denying it, but the original quote is about talking non-localized games in Nintendo Direct thread, not about how to play it :D

Dystify

Isn't that all Nintendo Dev unit is region free?

Yeah I thought so, too. At least some were. Main difference now is that Emily states retail units may also be region free, and that Nintendo stated they are looking into region free for NX.

TannerDemoz

1580792921_f8abfbc901.jpg

rockyt

Yeah I do seem to remember the late Iwata mention the next console has a high possibility and consideration of being global ie region free.

So Nintendo is still using the 3DS as a fallback? I mean it's not much of a fallback because its sales will continue to decline.

There just has to be multiple NX systems in case the first NX fails.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Apologies if this person is already well established and has reliable credentials but why are we posting everything this person posts?

At this point I think we need a separate thread "Why do I think Emily is (not) to be trusted".

I don't think it is necessary to have this discussion again and again in every thread. Mods will lock the threads that they consider not worthy/reliable, so we don't really need this *edited* detective work *edited* all the time.

SuperSah

Banned
This girl's 'rumours' are literally state the obvious affairs. 'NX may or may not be region free!'

Congrats, today may or may not be sunny.

At this point I think we need a separate thread "Why do I think Emily is (not) to be trusted".

I don't think it is necessary to have this discussion again and again in every thread. Mods will lock the threads that they consider not worthy/reliable, so we don't really need this backseat modding all the time.

what?

They just asked a question

Nice news if it does indeed extend to the retail hardware. I posted this in the other thread on the subject:

I'm more interested in finding out whether it's region free for digital content. Currently the best model seems to be iOS, which doesn't tie your Apple ID to every service on the device.

Instead you can sign out of the App Store, retain your primary Apple ID for iMessage, iCloud, Game Center etc., but sign into the App Store using a different Apple ID from a different region, purchase and download content from iBooks, Music, App Store, then sign back into your primary account and have no restrictions on how you use that content. You can also change the country your primary account is associated with, if you can prove it with a billing address.

Given the way games are distributed nowadays you're going to miss out much more on Japan-only digital titles than physical games. But on the other hand, Nintendo is the most forward thinking out of the big three in terms of making it as easy as possible to publish games worldwide: the eShop supports the IARC ratings system, which lets developers generate a bunch of worldwide ratings for a digital game free of charge. But currently it doesn't support Japan's CERO. But NCL is gradually lowering barriers to entry for Japanese developers too - something which happened just in time for Bitsummit this year.

That would be nice.

Xbox One also does a great job in terms of making sure there's only one SKU for games across all regions, from what I gather.

-shadow-

It better be. I'm not buying this thing if they'll lock the whole thing down again until atleast wel into its lifetime when it gets cheaper.

Storm360

I've never seen (or even heard of) a region locked devkit

That being said I'd be surprised if NX is region locked.

What's the benefits of the region lock? (I mean why the 3ds was region locked when the ds wasn't)

In the case of Nintendo, it means NoE gets the sales for all European software. NoA for North America and NCL for Japan.

Whether it's true or not, I'm posting in this thread to show my support of the idea. Region free software is always welcome, especially on handhelds. When you travel, you want to be able to buy games.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Hopefully. The 3DS was a pretty painful experience for us Euroscum. I recall waiting years for SMT IV.

I think that NoE has improved a lot and we got better treatment than NoA did for both 3DS and Wii U, honestly.
And in any case, the most important thing people don't realize is that localization should be our main concern, not region free.
What is the advantage of gtting DQ Monster Joker 3 if it is in Japanese?

btw, I'm not THAT sure that the dev kits being region free means something meaningfull in terms of final product. She should have worded it better, imho, because I'm pretty sure that the "final product" part is just her wishful thinking, not actual insider rumor

AzaK

Wow! Groundbreaking! Seriously though, this is obviously a good thing. It's not bad for me as I buy all my games from Europe (Even though I'm in NZ) so I save about 25% on the price of a game, but for you US folks this could be awesome.

PsionBolt

At least title the thread "Emily Rogers: NX dev kits are region free", OP. At least that's something that not every single person in the world would be capable of saying with confidence. That gives it a (n extremely minuscule) bit more discussion weight than a baseless assertion about what might be true.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I want to believe but I'd love comments from someone who has experience with dev kits regarding them being region free or not usually and the correlation with commercial units being region free or not.

Part of the awesomeness of the DS was it being region free. Bring that back Nintendo.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Having region locked retail consoles means different firmware and probably different build for the games, so the devkits should at least have slightly different SDK for every region? I don't know if this works like this, but maybe the implication is that now you don't have that?

BY2K

Membero Americo
IIRC devkits are always region free for development and testing purposes. I'm... not sure it means anything.

Edit: Although if she also heard the retail kits might also be...

Hermii

At least title the thread "Emily Rogers: NX dev kits are region free", OP. At least that's something that not every single person in the world would be capable of saying with confidence. That gives it a (n extremely minuscule) bit more discussion weight than a baseless assertion about what might be true.
Can't change it now. I put the full quote in the OT anyway.

Oregano

Having region locked retail consoles means different firmware and probably different build for the games, so the devkits should at least have slightly different SDK for every region? I don't know if this works like this, but maybe the implication is that now you don't have that?

Yeah. Whilst Dev kits wouldn't be region locked they would need to be able to compile different regions or whatever unless I massively misunderstand how development works.

Top Bottom