• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX might be region free

Dystify

Oh man this is gonna get the hopes for a lot of people up. Let's hope they won't be disappointed.

Didn't Iwata mention at some point that region free was a goal for their next systems?

He said they're considering it but mentioned it's not possible anymore for the already released systems.

Madao

the difference between people trucking along and a massive clusterfuck is just a switch flip.

hopefully it stays in the position that lets people truck along without problem.

JimPanzer

ohhh please be true...I don't want to deal with the dilemma of buying a EU or JP region NX. Also please let us visit other regions online stores like it's handled on PS4.

Shiggy

I assume the eShop will remain region locked. Once you have an NNID, you probably cannot change your country.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It would be terrible not to be. Just have a look at the Nintendo Direct thread where a lot of the discussion is about games that have been released last century in Japan.

Oregano

It would be terrible not to be. Just have a look at the Nintendo Direct thread where a lot of the discussion is about games that have been released last century in Japan.

That would still be the case for people who cant speak Japanese though....

Didn't Iwata mention at some point that region free was a goal for their next systems?
Weird given the DS was already region free before the 3DS went back to being locked off. Quite a few games I missed out that got released in the US but not in Aus thanks to that nonsense.

Oregano

I think a region free console will push for a lot more worldwide releases. And even so, options are nice. Might push more people to learn Japanese.

Maybe but for a lot of the publishers worldwide releases just aren't feasible. Options are always nice though as you said.

PSOreo

Apologies if this person is already well established and has reliable credentials but why are we posting everything this person posts?

Think about it. If there are games in Japan or Europe that don't come to America now you can purchase them and play them on your American NX.

Top Bottom