• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX might be region free

ozfunghi

If they want to maximimize on their software output, they basically have no choice. Even better would be to just release every game in every region as well. The biggest issue i always had, is that certain games don't release in all regions, and if that's the case, especially then region-locking is a bitch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is the worst possible news.

With the launch NX it is clear that Japanese Vita games development (a.k.a. Vita games development) will shift to it, what with it being the latest in handheld console technology. As we all know, the Vita library simply consists of lewd and raunchy titles for deviant players.

At least with region locking this stuff would be stuck in Japan, keeping our Western shores pure. But now we risk these titles coming over here and contaminating the player base.

This is disastrous!

This wouldn't surprise me if it was true actually. I'm pretty sure I remember Iwata acknowledging there is less need for region locking nowadays and saying its removal was being considered for future hardware.

ozfunghi

Not holding my breath, might be just the devkits. Easier to ship them around the world without region lock.

In case devs would lock themselves out of their own game while developing?

Nintendo will, again, need to depend on 1st party games most likely. They should try to support their platform with as much software as possible and they should strive to release all games in all regions. Failing that, not region locking is the next best thing.

Top Bottom