• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: NX might be region free

Koozek

What if the NX is literally everything you want it to be? Like, a mind-controlled wish-fullfilling device. Don't know how it would work, but maybe there's some tech out there that we don't know. You never know with Nintendo.

Yazuka

I really hope for Nintendo's sake that it is regionfree. They really need to kill the regionlocking. With both Sony & Microsoft having killed it, Nintendo's the only one left to get rid of it. And yeah, I know Nintendo are doing their own thing, but I am really hoping that is one thing that they will copy from the others.

Shin-chan

Region locking was the worst thing about the 3DS (okay shit image quality was, so second worst). If it's not region free at launch I'll be waiting for a steep discount.

Hell I'll need to wait anyway, because none of the games I want to play will be released in a timely manner knowing fucking Nintendo. I still haven't bought Fire Emblem Fates.

DavidDesu

I'm not even someone who'd particularly benefit or care about this, but it makes the system all the more approachable knowing thee's absolutely no games you will be arbitrarily denied from playing. Good stuff hope this is true for everyone's sake.

I can absolutely see Nintendo keeping the region lock though, because they simply don't care about the part of the market that considers it important and would rather have full control.

If they can manage another Wii it doesn't matter to them either way

EVH

I'm going to look at the glass half empty if this ends up being true. This could be another way to avoid long time periods of time without games and of course, fixing the usual western support for the Nintendo platforms.

Probably this only comes because I'm not interested at all in Harem games, Mecha-robots and all that weaboo crap.

ggx2ac

I'm going to look at the glass half empty if this ends up being true. This could be another way to avoid long time periods of time without games and of course, fixing the usual western support for the Nintendo platforms.

Probably this only comes because I'm not interested at all in Harem games, Mecha-robots and all that weaboo crap.

Atlus and Sega suck when it comes to releasing games outside of Japan and US.

Retrobox

I can absolutely see Nintendo keeping the region lock though, because they simply don't care about the part of the market that considers it important and would rather have full control.

If they can manage another Wii it doesn't matter to them either way

Oh yeah, the Wii was region-locked and still sold 100 million. Lol.

Still, no lock would create some pleasant first-impressions and Iwata talked about the possibility anyway. I think we may be good to go.

marmoka

Banned
Everytime I read something now about NX lately, I get more hyped. I'm liking that console and we still know nothing about it.

It better have great games, if not, I won't be in.

wrowa

I wonder if LPVG and Emily Rogers are collaborating. They always seem to have similar ouputs and I'm not sure if that's strengthening the rumors or if it just means that they are using/sharing the same source(s).

EVH

I wonder if LPVG and Emily Rogers are collaborating. They always seem to have similar ouputs and I'm not sure if that's strengthening the rumors or if it just means that they are using/sharing the same source(s).

They are not, or at least thats what they said. Totally different sources.

They are probably collaborating on releasing rumors. Emily mentioned they have exchanged information with LPVG in the latest blog post.

wrowa

Everytime I read something now about NX lately, I get more hyped. I'm liking that console and we still know nothing about it.

It would be hilariously funny if after everyone has come to terms with the NX being a huge, Tegra powered handheld device with detachable controllers and a TV dock it turns out that the NX is, in truth, something completely different.

I'm 80% sure they are all trolling us at this point. I really believe that they don't have any insider facts and make up stories to get attention.

I'm on #teamfake - I don't believe any rumor.

I was usually excited for what games a hardware can provide instead of the hardware itself. But NX really does interest me if it is a hybrid console. Just think about the possibility. HD Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter etc are playable on TV. These imaginations make me so happy and hype.

Javier

I hope that, at the very least, I can create and manage an American, European, and Japanese NNID on a single NX so I can go digital on imports.

I also need my Japanese Virtual Console.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Info is similar on LPVG:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/08/report-nx-handheld-dimensions-layout-info-lack-of-region-lock/

We also have two separate sources claiming that the current NX development kits are region free, and that those developing software for it have not heard anything about region locking being added before launch.

https://arcadegirl64.wordpress.com/2016/08/31/recap-of-nx-hardware-details/

Over the weekend, I contacted the talented Laura Kate Dale (LetsPlayVideoGames) and asked her if we could compare our NX prototype information. We came to the realization that we had the same information bullet point by bullet point, but our sources were completely different.

Lutherian

I don't understand the rage against Emily Rogers. She got wrong about Mother 3 and Female Link in BotW (even if Nintendo stated that they thought about it) and now every one think that she's 100 % wrong ?

Wow. I'm wondering why you're not that harsh with the asshole who keep trolling people and stating that NX will use an AMD chip.

Nairume

Banned
I don't understand the rage against Emily Rogers. She got wrong about Mother 3 and Female Link in BotW (even if Nintendo stated that they thought about it) and now every one think that she's 100 % wrong ?

Wow. I'm wondering why you're not that harsh with the asshole who keep trolling people and stating that NX will use an AMD chip.
Well, we don't know if she was actually wrong about Mother 3 yet.

I always said that it will be. Nintendo is going to stick out like a sore thumb in this industry if they carry on region-locking their hardware, and the negative publicity they'd receive would be deafening. Even if it's kicking and screaming, they're going to opt for region free this time around.

ChryZ

MkYp7X0.gif

c2P8Ijt.gif

hemo memo

Gold Member
What if the NX is literally everything you want it to be? Like, a mind-controlled wish-fullfilling device. Don't know how it would work, but maybe there's some tech out there that we don't know. You never know with Nintendo.

It fits perfectly with the game I'm playing right now.

What if the Eurogamer rumor came from Emily Rogers too? And what if its also false?
Maybe NX will use AMD chips.

test_account

XP-39C²
Essentially it gives the platform holder more control over what can be sold, when it can be sold and where it can be sold. It means (for example) that a retailer in the UK would have to go through Nintendo's UK distributor in order to get stock, even though it may actually be cheaper to import the stock from America.

In other words: $$$
I think that there are rules and regulations like this regardless. I've never seen american PS4 games in stores where i live in Europe for example. Same thing with online. If you buy something from Amazon.co.uk, you will get the european version.

Oregano

I think that there are rules and regulations like this regardless. I've never seen american PS4 games in stores where i live in Europe for example. Same thing with online. If you buy something from Amazon.co.uk, you will get the european version.

I know for a fact Grainger Games sold US DS games because they had Devil Survivor. New copy even.

test_account

XP-39C²
I know for a fact Grainger Games sold US DS games because they had Devil Survivor. New copy even.
I'm not sure if its exactly forbidden, but it might be some expections. Ricedigital.co.uk also sells US games. Play-Asia also sells both games with region from Japan, Asia and US. Its definitelly not common though, and if it was much more profit to be had for the stores from importing games from other regions, i think we would have seen more of it.

I'd be psyched for that as well, but as Shiggy posited I expect it's entirely possible the NNIDs will be region-locked and that you'll be locked into one on your system, even if the system is region-free.

I guess it depends on how badly Nintendo wants to curate an NX experience for each region. If it's just for the eShop they might be more lenient. Interestingly, Nintendo Accounts are practically region free, but I've forgotten the details!

Oregano

I'm not sure if its exactly forbidden, but it might be some expections. Ricedigital.co.uk also sells US games. Play-Asia also sells both games with region from Japan, Asia and US. Its definitelly not common though, and if it was much more profit to be had for the stores from importing games from other regions, i think we would have seen more of it.

Yeah, I don't think it's actually that prevalent just remembered that I've definitely seen it in action(at a physical location too).

Top Bottom