• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Alright, here's what I left for feedback.

Just want to leave feedback that the way you're doing things is going great. I like the mixture of comedy, newer shows, older shows, & darker stuff. It's more enjoyable to have variety than just one genre, even if I'm a fan of the genre. I look forward to see what future shows the block will have and will hope it has such animes like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure &/or Kill la Kill. & props for getting Gurren Lagann. It's fun watching it with both fans & those who haven't seen it before.

zlCfzSUq_QANUtuBG5

Ed is like "No weird shit while I'm gone. That includes you, Kamina!"

I think Omniverse is still around? Maybe?

Yeah omniverse is ongoing, apparently its a bit more comedic then previous ben 10 seasons but is still an action show according to wiki. I feel like people always ignore ben 10 when discussing action cartoons are dead.

Moaradin

Ben 10 was decent, right? I never got into it but I've seen a decent amount of episodes in the first few seasons and I didn't hate it. Kinda crazy it's been going on since 2005 and CN hasn't cancelled it yet.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, why don't we all ask for Cromartie High School

That's the bees knees, dub isn't horrible either
Oh man, that's such a great show. I remember discovering it on...Barbed Wire Biscuit, was it? I guess they could run two episodes at one since each one is about 12 minutes, then just cut the credits out of the first episode that'd air.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Oh man, that's such a great show. I remember discovering it on...Barbed Wire Biscuit, was it? I guess they could run two episodes at one since each one is about 12 minutes, then just cut the credits out of the first episode that'd air.

Shows like cromartie high and gungrave and duel appeared on techtv's anime unleashed, it was a good time in my life

Crocodile

Ben 10 (and all its series) have been living off its merchandise sales (which from my understanding are INSANE).

I thought the original Ben 10 was straight unwatchable. The protagonist had to be the worse kid protagonist I'd ever seen in a show (and I say this as the me from however many years ago when the show first premiered). I felt Alien Force was better but still overall not good. Omniverse is pretty much jank. My tolerance for nonsense decreased at a faster rate (or my standards for quality increased at a faster rate) than the franchise overall improved.

I remember catching a random episode of Omniverse where Ben has to avoid his Mom who made something shitty he didn't want to eat and he couldn't just say that whil.......BLAAAHHHHH I can't even finish the synopsis because its so fucking stupid. Also ALL the alien chicks want Ben's D not dissimilar to SAO or random harem anime X. It's pretty insipid.

Even the youngest amongst the ToonamiGaf crowd will see nothing of value from Ben 10 or any of its sequel series.

Wait, why don't we all ask for Cromartie High School

That's the bees knees, dub isn't horrible either

I've never seen it but I saw a clip of the Internet Troll sketch linked in the Smash OT and now I REALLY want to see that show

Takashi

Last night was pretty solid for Toonami.

-AoT (Hanji)
-Space Dandy
-Shippuden at least had some good animation for some reason?
-One Piece
-Gurren Lagann
-Black Lagoon
-FMAB
-Bebop

I feel kinda bad for thinking that much of the American animation on the block is strongly within my "nothing to see here, take a break!" mood of the night. I think that's less to do with them being American / Western, and more with the shows themselves.

That's how I feel too. I don't want to be one of those "Toonami should only be anime hurr durr" people, but there isn't much else out there to choose from. Rather have mostly anime than shows that drag down the feel of the block like BtB. I do believe Samurai Jack, for example, is a good fit though, just not good enough for me to stay up that long for.

Really awesome sketch dump btw, especially Ed.

Levyne

Banned
Last night was pretty solid for Toonami.

-AoT (Hanji)
-Space Dandy
-Shippuden at least had some good animation for some reason?
-One Piece
-Gurren Lagann
-Black Lagoon
-FMAB
-Bebop

Yeah, even though the reasons for fighting Sai were dumb and the conflict short, at least there wasn't any talk no jutsu attached to that little scrum.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I entirely forgot about Ben 10 because it never looked like anything worth watching.

Even counting that, what's else is left? A couple Marvel shows that are apparently of lower quality than the shows they replaced, Ninja Turtles I guess (though I have no idea where that sits on the comedy-action spectrum), and Korra which isn't even on TV anymore.

I entirely forgot about Ben 10 because it never looked like anything worth watching.

Even counting that, what's else is left? A couple Marvel shows that are apparently of lower quality than the shows they replaced, Ninja Turtles I guess (though I have no idea where that sits on the comedy-action spectrum), and Korra which isn't even on TV anymore.

Isn't disney xd airing a digimon season right now? They'll probably air the new digimon series starring the og cast in 2015

LOLDSFAN

How do you guys feel about the less American animated shows part? I actually like them sometimes. They're good for variety I think.

I'm all for having less American animated shows. I don't watch them outside of Toonami, and don't want them during Toonami. I watch Toonami 100% for anime.

I find it interesting that people want nostalgia though. Just as most people would say they want new games instead of re-releases, I want new anime instead of old stuff. I feel like my time is precious and if I'm going to stay up on a Saturday to watch TV, it needs to be things I haven't seen before.

Just my selfish 2 cents. =‿=

Crocodile

A lot of anime in Japan is made with the purpose of selling the manga that it is adapted from. I'm sure there are lots of quality stories out there in American comicbook land (outside of just DC/Marvel superheros) that would make great 13-26-52 episode TV adaptations that in turn could be used to encourage comic sales. Why isn't that a thing we do on this side of the Pacific? We have those occasional straight to DVD DC/Marvel movies but its clear those aren't made to sell the comics and they are movies not TV shows.

The new TMNT series is actually legit good. It takes a few episodes, there are a few dude episodes and it suffers the same problems a lot of CGI cartoons do (a whole city populated by 20 people) but I think it a great show with a good mix of comedy and action.

I think a new Batman and Guardians of the Galaxy TV shows are in the works but who knows if they'll be any good and the later will never show up on Toonami. Korra has less than 1.5 seasons left and have been exiled off TV. Some few Marvel shows too as you said (which, again as you said, are all pretty much worse than their predecessors). Aside from those I'm kind of drawing a blank.

I'm all for having less American animated shows. I don't watch them outside of Toonami, and don't want them during Toonami. I watch Toonami 100% for anime.

Why? As long as they are Symbiotic Titan/Samurai Jack/Young Justice/etc. tier in quality and maturity, why wouldn't you want them?

Jarate

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars got another cartoon

But Western action shows have always kind of failed miserably recently. I think the incredible amount of censorship that would be necessary to make an action show nowadays is just too much.

Hopefully something can be Kickstart some day. Would love to one day see an adult action cartoon show with good animation.

Raxus

I wouldn't be surprised if Star Wars got another cartoon

But Western action shows have always kind of failed miserably recently. I think the incredible amount of censorship that would be necessary to make an action show nowadays is just too much.

You mean other than SW: Rebels?

Western action shows fail because they are mishandled by the parent networks who have no idea how to market them in this day and age (Young Justice, Symbiotic Titan, Korra, etc. etc. etc.)

LOLDSFAN

Why? As long as they are Symbiotic Titan/Samurai Jack/Young Justice/etc. tier in quality and maturity, why wouldn't you want them?

It's not really a mater of quality, but a matter of exclusivity.

Toonami is one of the few chances in America to watch anime (yes there's exceptions like Pokemon on CN or Doraemon on Disney XD). I don't want shows that can theoretically be shown at any time on Cartoon Network, Nick, etc... filling up those slots.

Then again people have mentioned that Western action shows are failing and becoming rarer and rarer and having them on Toonami would be their only hope of airing. I could see how people might want that but I still would personally like anime.

ckohler

Reviews for August 16, 2014:

Attack on Titan - I really enjoyed this episode for two reasons. First, they explained a lot about the titans; going into detail about how they weigh so little and apparently get their energy from the sun. Second, Hanji. She’s cray-cray and it’s fun to watch. She looses it when those two titans are killed but overall I find the most likable characters in this show are those who aren’t in a permanent state of PTSD.

OH NO, THERE WAS AN ATTACK ON TITANS.

Bleach - Thank god the training is probably over. Chad could lock himself in that game forever and I wouldn’t care. Best part of the episode was Orihime’s cute donut craving and Riruka being Riruka. All this Fullbringing stuff has really taken this show off the rails and not really in a good way. An okay episode but probably one of the weakest of the night.

WHY DOES CHAD HAVE SO MANY SPEAKING LINES?

Space Dandy - Fantastic episode. Silly and entertaining. Music wasn’t bad either. Johnny is clearly the perfect equal/foil to Dandy. They think so much alike. Honey was really bringing the fan service. :) I bet the Gogol Empire hates Dandy even more now for siding with the Jaicro Empire. Oh, who am I kidding? There’s no continuity in this show. Lol. Rock on, Dropkix!

Truly industry changing performance.

Naruto: Shippuden - Okay, I’ll admit it, I enjoyed this episode. It’s neat to see all these side characters now older and more skilled. Shino’s jealousy was pretty funny and even Choji appears to no longer be just a joke character. Hinata’s thirst for Naruto continues to ridiculous levels. That poor, cute girl deserves better. But where was Ino? The new character’s “ninja art” (geez) at least looks interesting.

Why not send in more than one team?

One Piece - Another great, action packed episode. Everybody is getting work done even Franky with that bite to Spandam! Having Rocket Man take down that giant was pretty a pretty epic moment and it’s good that all of the Straw Hats have finally arrived. Now we just need Robin to get out of her stupid funk! That three-headed judge was serious WTF One Piece material.

Gravity can figure out how they land, not Zoro's problem.

Gurren Lagann - What can I say? An epic start to a truly epic series. I hope this episode has been burned into everyone’s memory because there will be so many great callbacks to come. Just like a spiral, this show starts from this small point and then spins larger and larger all the way to the very end. That’s just how Team Gurren rolls.

Uhhhhhh.
That was amazing.
Absolutely amazing.
Kamina is awesome. I'm loving Simon too.

Beware the Batman - This show is bad and it should feel bad. Batman did almost nothing this episode except be a punching bag and then reverse engineer black magic? Ultimately, it was a pre-teen hacker girl who actually saved the city. Its shouldn’t be a surprise as this series is so clearly written for 6-8 year olds. When souls started to float around like a tornado I couldn’t stop laughing. To top it off, the ghost of Katana’s dad shows up, says goodbye, then flys up into the sky only to explode! WTF?!

Damn. Even the computer knows Batman is going to job against Ra's

Black Lagoon - Great episode that delivered what I was hoping for: Ginji and Revy putting these fools down with gusto. That one leader punk’s death in the pool was especially delicious. Also, that moment when Revy started to get creepy turned on by Ginji’s ability was slice bullets was amazing. The only thing I didn’t like about the episode was when Yukio was so ungrateful for Rock’s help. She apparently hates him because he won’t commit to being a killer? I don’t really understand her reasoning.

Well that's the best death I've seen

Naruto - Good episode. Not great but mostly good. It starts out dumb with the three-stooges trying to be badasses and just getting jobbed. Then Sasuke goes full Super Saiyan and it gets pretty awesome. If Sakura was an actual ninja she wouldn’t have stopped him. Those sound ninja are clearly evil. Let ninjas ninja, Sakura!

Oh LOL I remember this part, Sakura and co. is all like "WE ARE GIVING IT OUR ALL" and then Sasuke wakes up and kicks all the bad guy asses anyway

I fell asleep after that. All in all, a great week from what I saw! Now I need to send feedback to the Toonami Tumblr and ask them to air those Gurren Lagann eye catches. They only add 9 seconds to each episode, geez! Regardless, I plan on posting them for download each week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Toonami is one of the few chances in America to watch anime (yes there's exceptions like Pokemon on CN or Doraemon on Disney XD). I don't want shows that can theoretically be shown at any time on Cartoon Network, Nick, etc... filling up those slots.

Then again people have mentioned that Western action shows are failing and becoming rarer and rarer and having them on Toonami would be their only hope of airing. I could see how people might want that but I still would personally like anime.

Anime is having the same problem, we get maybe one or two good action shows a year if we're lucky.

see, the thing is they're filling up the slots that would be taken by Ghost in the Shell or Big O season 2 or FLCL. i don't really think that's any great loss, especially when they've got so much space to fill on the back end that they'd probably end up having hour long blocks of one of these ASA holdovers.

and CN pretty much refuses to play any of these shows nowadays; if they were willing to, it'd be a different story, but Toonami's really all they've got, same as anime. theoretically shows like Naruto and One Piece and DBZ Kai can be played with minimal edits on CN, too.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*reads SAO Hollow Fragment trophies*

"Don't Cheat, Daddy: Raise your bond with all heroines to the max level"

This...is humorous to me for some reason.

Also have fun playing for ONE HUNDRED HOURS to earn a bronze trophy entitled "Thank you for playing"

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Ed is like "No weird shit while I'm gone. That includes you, Kamina!"

Parenting Edward is great, I bet her stills does this to his kids far in the future.

*I'm totally glad no one cares I drew the powerpoint twice, btw, lol.*

Retrospective to May12th and 19th of last year:

zlCfzQ-3Iz4c7-PlC3
zlCfzQ_QzGQLcsxyKy

^cool sketch!

Thanks Soul!

That's how I feel too. I don't want to be one of those "Toonami should only be anime hurr durr" people, but there isn't much else out there to choose from. Rather have mostly anime than shows that drag down the feel of the block like BtB. I do believe Samurai Jack, for example, is a good fit though, just not good enough for me to stay up that long for.

Really awesome sketch dump btw, especially Ed.

Thanks much! And yeah... it's just a bit annoying when you can feel your excitement for what you're watching DRAIN when a certain show comes on. And I have a pretty big resistance to that for many types of shows, but Bats *and sometimes Clone Wars* are so "eh" for me at times...

Please keep Ben 10 as faaaaaaaar away from Toonami as possible.

Have to agree here. It's everything kiddy about BTB, but instead of having a few moments like that, while the rest of the show MIGHT work... it's just ALL like that.

I like B10 sometimes, but not at all for Toonami Material.

Black Lagoon - Great episode that delivered what I was hoping for: Ginji and Revy putting these fools down with gusto. That one leader punk’s death in the pool was especially delicious. Also, that moment when Revy started to get creepy turned on by Ginji’s ability was slice bullets was amazing. The only thing I didn’t like about the episode was when Yukio was so ungrateful for Rock’s help. She apparently hates him because he won’t commit to being a killer? I don’t really understand her reasoning.

I thought her whole "Twilight" explanation summed it up well. Rock has the luxuary of playing between the worlds she wishes she could be in, and the world she is more or less destined to be in. Even him saving her isn't because he's a nice kind guy, but even more of him playing with which side of the world he wants to be on.

He's treating something that's scarred her entire existence for a lifetime as if it's a vacation away from a life he COULD possibly return to, while she has no way out in sight. For her, this isn't only a curse for herself, but also for her entire bloodline. I think I'd be pretty mad at him, too, in her position.

I enjoyed her version of this well-worn "despise my position in life" Japanese character outlook. So many character in her position would cry, curse their fate for being born a woman, talk about their weakness in cute tones, and basically embrace weakness and frailty. She basically kept a leader's composure throughout the whole things, and that's pretty rare to see from a character in her position.

When evil aliens attack, Ben Ten fights back!

Did we ever get a reason why these commercials would always be the first to air during Eureka Seven?

Bandai owns E7, and also produces the B10 toy line. So I figure it was just part of the deal for getting the show onto the air.

Gorillaz

I like the sketch, alot actually nice change up should do it like that every once and awhile
The only thing I didn’t like about the episode was when Yukio was so ungrateful for Rock’s help. She apparently hates him because he won’t commit to being a killer? I don’t really understand her reasoning.

She didn't like the fact that he wants his cake and eat it too. Dude wants to save her, yet work on the side of the force that's killing off her family. He's basically one of those dudes that wants to experience the world of having no strings attached, living on the edge, but not commit to it. I mean he lives in the murder capital of the world, having the luxury of working alongside a wall of protection from Dutch/Revy, but wants to tell people that they deserve better then that life? He's a hypocrite, either commit to it go or not.

ckohler

Now remember.
FOURTEEN YEARS OLD.
...........or maybe she's 16-ish, I don't know, can't find anything official.

AH yes, now seems like a good time to note that Yoko is like 14 years old.

I'll argue later, but there is no way. She treats Simon like a kid and he's 14.

Fun fact: Yoko and Simone are the same age

Yes, all 3 of these characters are 14 years old.

The only "official" line is that she's 18, per the official anime guide. Though that's pretty meaningless.

I don't see how Simon and Kamina are the same age. Even Yoko is a HUGE stretch.

Okay, I've done some research and I think this is about as official an answer regarding their ages as we will get. Below are scans from the official "The Nascent Era" Gainax production art book included in the Complete Gurren Lagann Limited Edition Bluray Set. Thanks to Thoraxes in AnimeGAF for taking these photos from his copy of the book:

I9GfeVr.jpg

TSHiNlk.jpg

OTNfUtK.jpg

These appear to be character bios from before production began on the show. I say this because there are some minor design differences (Kamina's cape symbol, Yoko's hair, etc.) Now, if you look closely you'll see their suggested ages. That's not to say they didn't alter their ages after production but I think it's safe to assume these were the intended ages. If you go by this, I would say that Simon is probably 14, Kamina is probably 17, and Yoko is probably 15.

Something else I want to point out about Yoko's age that makes her very unlikely to be the same age as Simon is that not only is she taller and physically more mature than Simon, she always treats him like a kid throughout the series. I think this means she's older, if maybe only by a year or two. I think in an interview once a fan asked the creators of TTGL how old she was and their answer was simply "old enough". So, take it at that. :p

He's treating something that's scarred her entire existence for a lifetime as if it's a vacation away from a life he COULD possibly return to, while she has no way out in sight. For her, this isn't only a curse for herself, but also for her entire bloodline. I think I'd be pretty mad at him, too, in her position.

She didn't like the fact that he wants his cake and eat it too. Dude wants to save her, yet work on the side of the force that's killing off her family. He's basically one of those dudes that wants to experience the world of having no strings attached, living on the edge, but not commit to it. I mean he lives in the murder capital of the world, having the luxury of working alongside a wall of protection from Dutch/Revy, but wants to tell people that they deserve better then that life? He's a hypocrite, either commit to it go or not.

Thanks. That makes more sense. I don't know why people like this don't try and escape this lifestyle if they hate it so much but maybe it's a Japanese honor thing.

Soulflarz

Banned
So uhm, I asked this during the actual show but the thread was moving too fast- any reason Yoko's bikini has the same design as the team gurren signature cape?

ckohler

So uhm, I asked this during the actual show but the thread was moving too fast- any reason Yoko's bikini has the same design as the team gurren signature cape?

While it's probably just a coincidence... (very minor spoiler)
her bikini top might have inspired the design as it's Kamina who creates the logo in episode 3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I like the sketch, alot actually nice change up should do it like that every once and awhile.

Here's a Larger Res Version of the Pic, if anyone wants it.

I remember how the "Crayon-looking" Pics from sketchdumps past didn't fly well, so I've tried to avoid big color pics (other than titlecards) for a while, but I'm quite glad this one is well received :) The style will become a part of the abnormal rotation from now on, I'd say.

Okay, I've done some research and I think this is about as official an answer regarding their ages as we will get.

I totally give up on trying to age Yoko, even with sources. If Availability = Yes, then MINE MINE, or something like that. No living male would arrest you. Even the zombies might hesitate.

Also, I don't think the way she treats Simon has much to do with their ages, really. He ACTS and LOOKS the part, he could just be diminutive for his age. And she instantly acts like his big sis / curiously hot mamma figure, as much as Kamina acts like his big bro. He's nii-chan'd from the first few seconds they meet, and he gets too fall all over her with more of a "aw, that's cute!" reaction, rather than a "Pervert, get off of me!" explosion. I'm not sure if that's a clear or annoying victory.

As far as the JP Honor thing and Yukio... I really think she tried to escape. Her whole family has been trying to keep her OUT of that life, but situations say "Fool, trying to run from destiny just lead to more death later on." As much as one might or might not believe in destiny, I always get the feeling that the caste system also hints towards this. You have your role, and you're suppose to play it.

Crocodile

None of these characters act/look like first year high schoolers. IT DOESN'T MATTER, this line of conversation continues to be pointless.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
None of these characters act/look like first year high schoolers. IT DOESN'T MATTER, this line of conversation continues to be pointless.

tumblr_m7ha1o5Y831r27lhv.gif

I always find it kinda funny that I actually don't find Yoko as attractive
when she is shown more "grown up". It's kinda like the artist figured our they already drew a much more mature and well formed character than they intended to, and they weren't so hot at drawing older than that. Well, I don't like her as much in her battle outfit, I guess I should say. "Yomako" For Life! (and Yomiko Readman-ishness. And Hometown.)

ckohler

I completely agree. That's why I brought it up, actually. My hope is that we can collectively get this issue out of everyone's system and move on before the next broadcast. The same goes for the pronouncing of Simon as see-mone. No reason to sully up the actual broadcast comments with these trivial issues. I hope we can put them to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom