• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 "Review in Progress" by IGN: (Two New Videos)

Dat Mars footage.

snip

I wanted to reply to this post with a dancing Carlton gif, but then I stumbled across a gif that shows how Shepard moves in Mass Effect 3.

the-carlton-crawl.gif

Woo-Fu

Banned
If you like the idea of buggy, bland and empty worlds, then yes, they got that wrong. That feature is making it unbearable for me to complete ME1 fully (fuck you, save file for glitching when transferring to my new 360)

So your answer is to rip anything out of the game that isn't awesome in the next game instead of making that element of the game awesome too?

Guess you'll really be happy when they narrow it down to just pressing a 10,000 times from start to finish.

Exploration doesn't have to suck.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This. I kinda wish he’d shown off what does happen when you get caught by a reaper, though.

Gun-fight? Loss of Fuel? Insta-death?

Also, man was the guy playing a bore. He picked the class that can Zero Shift and decided to snipe from as far away as possible without moving?

It seems like they're trying to make scanning a 'game', which is good. It's generous to call scanning in ME2 a 'mini-game', as it was so far removed from anything resembling a 'game' it's not funny. It was definitively a chore, or work if you prefer; a repetitive, monotonous task devoid of challenge and lateral thinking, yet required to upgrade your ship and equipment. You don't do anything of value yet are required to do a lot to get anywhere.

Here it looks like they've significantly improved the scanning process and the way information is communicated to the player. Easy to ping planets of value, so no need to grind through them all. Immediately able to search a planet for the reward. System maps telling you how many rewards are left.

But still, when you boil it down it's still a fetch quest. It's still grinding through systems pinging your scanner looking for a blip, then scanning that blip for a little number value to pop up. The Reaper thing will be the deciding factor. If it's fun, engaging and avoid tedium it should be fine. If they fuck it up then we'll be back to ME2 level bullshit.

If you look at the basic premise, it's pretty similar in theory to ME1's uncharted worlds. Instead of driving around a world in a Mako you're driving around a system in the Normandy. Instead of searching for random piles of minerals and debree you're pinging planets and scanning them. You're not fighting Thresher Maws and Geth, you're avoiding Reapers. These are the game's 'dungeons' just like uncharted worlds were ME1's 'dungeons'.

Vire

I can't tell if this is a joke or not.

No review is one hundred percent objective, it's an opinion based piece.

Having a critic with no prior knowledge to the Mass Effect universe review the game would be a terrible idea because they wouldn't be able to comment on how it fits into the overarching story and if it lives up as a fitting conclusion based off the prior games.

No review is one hundred percent objective, it's an opinion based piece.

Having a critic with no prior knowledge to the Mass Effect universe review the game would be a terrible idea because they wouldn't be able to comment on how it fits into the overarching story and if it lives up as a fitting conclusion based off the prior games.

I'm not arguing that. I would just argue you shouldn't have #1 fanboy I LOVE MASS EFFECT dude be the one to review it. It's still just the one game. If it isn't a game by itself, and sucks unless you've played the first two, it has failed. Return of the King is still an awesome movie by itself even if you have no clue whats going on in the story. That is a shit analogy, but whatever.

Edit: Thoraxes says things better than me.

2nd edit: Reminds me of MGS4. Sure it's awesome if you know whats going on. But is it really that great of a game? I liked it, but can't say if I really would have minus the ten year build up to it through other games.

Vire

Have two reviewers then: One for lore and story, and one for everything not that.

Even then it's not very useful. Who is this review for? New comers joining in on the third game in a trilogy?

I want someone who can tell me - compared to previous Mass Effect games, how does it stack up? Which is better? Why?

Now if you want to argue about the manner of professionalism and not coming off as a slobbering fanboy. Then that's fine.

Even then it's not very useful. Who is this review for? New comers joining in on the third game in a trilogy?

I want someone who can tell me - compared to previous Mass Effect games, how does it stack up? Which is better? Why?

Now if you want to argue about the manner of professionalism and not coming off as a slobbering fanboy. Then that's fine.

I guess that is what I was more talking about in the beginning. I don't even know where I am now.

Only because they overused it ineffectively. After the 52nd copy-and-paste terrain, sure it might have become slightly tedious. But each time you landed on a planet and it was a new environment, whether it was a craggy climb, endless fields of green, or a night across the dunes, it always succeeded in showing to the player what it really meant to live in a sci-fi world and participate in a sense of exploration that they'd never be able to do in reality for their entire lifetimes.

Not vouching for them to bring back the ME1 system of exploration and resource gathering piece by piece, but imagine if Bioware had actually been ambitious and tried to improve upon the idea, instead of being lazy and relegating all duties to a basic map HUD and scanner as in both subsequent games.

I suppose I can agree. What drove me nuts is having these massive empty planets, having to drive around them in the goddamn Mako, and then, when you did find something, it was often just a room with a container or item in it.

Preferably, they could make planets with actual environments aside from "barren ____-colored mountains," and put some real, interesting side quests with quest NPCs and all that jazz.

I guess my real point, though, is that if they can't do it right, I'd rather have an easy, inconsequential scanning game with a few short missions dispersed throughout ala ME2.

Sober

It seems like they're trying to make scanning a 'game', which is good. It's generous to call scanning in ME2 a 'mini-game', as it was so far removed from anything resembling a 'game' it's not funny. It was definitively a chore, or work if you prefer; a repetitive, monotonous task devoid of challenge and lateral thinking, yet required to upgrade your ship and equipment. You don't do anything of value yet are required to do a lot to get anywhere.

Here it looks like they've significantly improved the scanning process and the way information is communicated to the player. Easy to ping planets of value, so no need to grind through them all. Immediately able to search a planet for the reward. System maps telling you how many rewards are left.

But still, when you boil it down it's still a fetch quest. It's still grinding through systems pinging your scanner looking for a blip, then scanning that blip for a little number value to pop up. The Reaper thing will be the deciding factor. If it's fun, engaging and avoid tedium it should be fine. If they fuck it up then we'll be back to ME2 level bullshit.

If you look at the basic premise, it's pretty similar in theory to ME1's uncharted worlds. Instead of driving around a world in a Mako you're driving around a system in the Normandy. Instead of searching for random piles of minerals and debree you're pinging planets and scanning them. You're not fighting Thresher Maws and Geth, you're avoiding Reapers. These are the game's 'dungeons' just like uncharted worlds were ME1's 'dungeons'.
Wasn't the other way to grind Galactic Readiness is MP? I suppose instead of grinding War assets by flying between clusters and systems you can just play MP.

RDreamer

I suppose I can agree. What drove me nuts is having these massive empty planets, having to drive around them in the goddamn Mako, and then, when you did find something, it was often just a room with a container or item in it.

Preferably, they could make planets with actual environments aside from "barren ____-colored mountains," and put some real, interesting side quests with quest NPCs and all that jazz.

I guess my real point, though, is that if they can't do it right, I'd rather have an easy, inconsequential scanning game with a few short missions dispersed throughout ala ME2.

I'm with you. Those planets in ME1 were absolutely awful. They were immersion breaking. Give me a scanning mini game thing and a few GOOD quests over a bunch of barren crap any day of the week.

Vire

For everyone who wanted to know more about the Reapers on the Galaxy map:

If there is no Reaper on the system you want to explore, you are safe to travel and scan it as you please. However, if you begin scanning in a Reaper-infested system, the Reapers will move in and attempt to capture the Normandy. If you are caught, you will be returned to your last save outside of the Galaxy Map.

The Reaper Alertness meter in the lower left region of the screen will reveal how many more scans you can perform before alerting the Reapers. To escape the Reapers, you must simply pilot the ship out of the current system. You can do this by using a Mass Relay or by just cruising out of the solar system -- at the expense of fuel.

Reapers will vacate an occupied system after you complete a Mission, but the Reaper Alertness meter might not totally dissipate right away.

McNum

Note to self: Save before using the Galaxy Map. Then again, I pretty much do this on reflex in ME2 already.

The_Monk

Thanks for the links OP but it sure didn't made the wait easier...!

After a lot of thinking I will end up getting the Collectors Edition from my lady as a birthday gift. But it's going to be for the PS3. Good to know that they kept the same music while exploring the galaxy, really nice.

Who's doing the OT by the way?

Wow, I knew the Collector Edition was sold out everywhere on all 3 platforms, but now even the standard edition is sold out. On Amazon of all places. you almost never see standard editions selling out pre-release.

Apparently this game is the next coming of (insert god(s) here), perhaps I should get off my ass and start the series. Still never played any Mass Effect game, maybe ime to start soon...

I'm going to feel a little bad opening up my CE. Just a little.

Mindlog

There are a lot of complaints around here. My turn. I know it needs to load quickly, but the galaxy map is a missed opportunity. There is no sense of scale to the various astronomical bodies. A gas giant and tiny moon look like the same thing with a different texture. Also that little chase mini-game. All I'm going to be hearing is Yakety Sax -_- I would rather have a mini-game focused on a properly charted course and gas giant discharging.

Not a deal breaker.

Mifune

Mehmber
Sounds like the Reapers are there on the map screen to force you to be more selective with your scans. Might not be a bad idea, since there was nothing fun about taking all day to scan a planet.

The_Monk

Wow, I knew the Collector Edition was sold out everywhere on all 3 platforms, but now even the standard edition is sold out. On Amazon of all places. you almost never see standard editions selling out pre-release.

Well, Im in Europe (Portugal) and I only found ONE store in here selling it. No major stores have it, GAME doesn't know if they are getting any, amazon.uk does not have it, and so on... It's sold out for the 360 and the other platforms are close to sold out too.

I mean, how rare is this getting? It's ridiculous.

Vire

Info on Fuel:

"Fuel is expended in Mass Effect 3 every time you pilot the Normandy into the void between star systems. Mass Effect jumps do not expend fuel, nor does travel within a system.

As you move from one star system to a next, you can cruise to conserve fuel. There are several ways to attain fuel:

Scanning - You can scan for anomalies that may or may not contain fuel.
Fuel Depot - Fuel Depots exist in developed star systems. Fuel costs Credits.
Dock at the Citadel - You can get a free refill just by docking at the Citadel."

Sounds like it's less of a nuisance now.

What happens when the Normandy comes into contact with one of those Reapers? Is it like Jaws on the NES?

I added info in the OP.

Mifune

Mehmber
Info on Fuel:

"Fuel is expended in Mass Effect 3 every time you pilot the Normandy into the void between star systems. Mass Effect jumps do not expend fuel, nor does travel within a system.

As you move from one star system to a next, you can cruise to conserve fuel. There are several ways to attain fuel:

Dock at the Citadel - You can get a free refill just by docking at the Citadel.

Sounds like it's less of a nuisance now."

Isn't that pretty much how fuel was handled in ME2? I never found that system to be a nuisance.

Well, Im in Europe (Portugal) and I only found ONE store in here selling it. No major stores have it, GAME doesn't know if they are getting any, amazon.uk does not have it, and so on... It's sold out for the 360 and the other platforms are close to sold out too.

I mean, how rare is this getting? It's ridiculous.

Sounds like it's the same deal in both US and EU.
I'm just happy I preordered my copy in time on Amazon.

Can't wait to see the prices on Ebay...I remember day 1 of Mass Effect 2 the CE was going for $200 USD+ average.
This seems to be a lot more limited and/or in-demand.

What's with all the positive buzz from these videos? I thought were supposed to hate Mass Effect 3.

I couldn't resist. I listened to the first video and watched the second. Hype meter increasing exponentially.

I thought they would of reviewed either the 360 or PC versions.

The reviewer is one of their PS3 leads. They don't play anything but PS3 games. So yeah, you'd think 360 would be lead platform (which will likely sell the most copies), but for that reason they'll do the PS3 version. And trophies. They are trophy whores.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I thought they would of reviewed either the 360 or PC versions.

Well from memory of playing the PS3 version of ME2 it ran perfectly fine, just as good as the 360 version from memory.
So as long as they can continue that and the demo on the PS3 just hadn't been sorted out yet then I would expect a pretty similar experience from ME3 on both consoles.

Info on Fuel:

Dock at the Citadel - You can get a free refill just by docking at the Citadel.

Sounds like it's less of a nuisance now."

So it is essentially exactly the same as ME2, just with more ways to get fuel than just buying it at a fuel depot.
And unless I read it wrong we can "cruise" to conserve fuel between star systems now too to save on using fuel, I imagine there is some downside to it, unless it is just literally moving much slower and thus for a user more annoying unless you want to save on credits.

DTKT

Well, Bioware did allow them to publish an early "review". They got copies in advance since Bioware is pretty confident about getting a good score.

I got the PS3 version of ME2 so I am not familiar with the importing your character thing. In ME3 the preview says you start your character with all your upgrades and you can go to level 60 or something, so if I import my story I am forced to be the same class and in a way cheat by having my character super powered from the start? I dont want that. I want my choices to continue but I want to start a fresh character.

kswiston

Well, Bioware did allow them to publish an early "review". They got copies in advance since Bioware is pretty confident about getting a good score.

IGN likes WRPGs. Those games are generally reviewed well on the site.

But I doubt this gets a 10. Despite the jokes, IGN doesn't hand out a ton of 10s. Only 5 retail games have received a 10 this generation (GTA4, Uncharted 3, Skyward Sword, MGS4, and Mario Galaxy 2). I think Edge has handed out more 10s this generation than IGN.

Mass Effect 3 will get a 9.0 or a 9.5.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I got the PS3 version of ME2 so I am not familiar with the importing your character thing. In ME3 the preview says you start your character with all your upgrades and you can go to level 60 or something, so if I import my story I am forced to be the same class and in a way cheat by having my character super powered from the start? I dont want that. I want my choices to continue but I want to start a fresh character.

I think you can still change your class/appearance/name at the start of the new game with an import but there is a level/reputation bonus for importing a character that you can't get around. If they do a comic again you can probably use most of your choices in that and just not import.

So do we know yet how the Reapers got to the Milky Way or are we expected not to give a shit about that at this point.

I think this was answered in Arrival. They reached the outer edge of the galaxy by that time, and the events in Arrival slowed their progress down.

Top Bottom