• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder - WWII Air Combat

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
As much as I want to love WWII aerial combat games, doesn't the gameplay always devolve into everybody just circling each other nonstop?
That happens if 2 people that don't know how to play are dogfighting 1v1. That situation requires no backup, no terrain, and equal statistics for the planes. As soon as someone gets the balls to break out the circle and pull off a fancy move to get behind one, all it takes after that is one burst.

Llyranor

How often do you earn golden lions or do you basically have to pay for them outside of the economy ? I got the starter ones they gave you and dumped them into my crew for the british but it looks like it's going to be veeeeeeeeery slow to level up after that (to be expected I guess).

Enjoying the game on the gameplay front though on PS4. Not sure how to unlock custom games and the sim modes, some things blocked off on the menu.
Unfortunately, though you'll get a pretty generous amount of lions at the beginning, that well will dry up pretty fast.
As much as I want to love WWII aerial combat games, doesn't the gameplay always devolve into everybody just circling each other nonstop?
Not at all. First of all, you don't really want to try to turn-fight an opponent (if all else is equal) unless you're a spitfire or a zero (if you're a zero fighting a spitfire), in which case you'll overtake the enemy, otherwise you might get stuck in an infinite loop. Sometimes you want to force the loop if you know friendlies are close by, but in general it can be futile (or very risky). If you want to engage a turn-fighter, you don't want to play their game. Just climb above them and dive.

BigDug13

Not really. It's not like the objectives of each mission are "blow everyone out of the sky". I didn't have the gun and plane upgrades to hang with the dogfighters when I started, so my first missions were just trying to take out the ground targets which were the objective. You get lots of points doing that and sometimes you can avoid detection by not being in the mix.

StaSeb

Unfortunately, though you'll get a pretty generous amount of lions at the beginning, that well will dry up pretty fast.

I did not touch my share of gold-currency because I do not know what investment is worthwhile? Any recommendations?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Can EU PS4 users confirm that they ruined the balance of the game by adding mouse and flight stick support to the console version?

Or did they at least do the right thing and make mouse/keyboard and flightstick-only servers?

BigDug13

Can EU PS4 users confirm that they ruined the balance of the game by adding mouse and flight stick support to the console version?

Or did they at least do the right thing and make mouse/keyboard and flightstick-only servers?

What difference does that make when the game is completely cross platform? You're playing against PC people already.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
What difference does that make when the game is completely cross platform? You're playing against PC people already.

Oh, are you? Well I won't be playing this then. No way am I going to try to compete with someone sitting at a desk using the super accurate mouse control.

coolasj19

Oh, are you? Well I won't be playing this then. No way am I going to try to compete with someone sitting at a desk using the super accurate mouse control.

Have you played the game? Mouse control hardly helps in this kind of game. It's not CounterStrike. It's more like Resistance 2 multiplayer. Or Halo.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Have you played the game? Mouse control hardly helps in this kind of game. It's not CounterStrike. It's more like Resistance 2 multiplayer. Or Halo.

Have you played it? I played several hours on the PC, and the mouse controls are by far the most accurate and competitive. Far moreso than a flight stick or controller. You wouldn't think that was the case seeing how this is a flight sim, but that's how they made the controls.

The difference is seriously like playing with a controller in counterstrike versus a guy using M/KB.

Really bummed because I wanted to play this on the comfy couch using a controller. But if someone I'm playing against is using a mouse, I'll just be destroyed.

coolasj19

Have you played it? I played several hours on the PC, and the mouse controls are by far the most accurate and competitive. Far moreso than a flight stick or controller. You wouldn't think that was the case seeing how this is a flight sim, but that's how they made the controls.

The difference is seriously like playing with a controller in counterstrike versus a guy using M/KB.

Yes, I have played the game. I'm playing it right now. I played on PC with a M/KB (movement was clunky as hell) and I'm playing on PS4. It may be easier, but it's not inherently better. I don't want to get into this but if you really want to be the judge for yourself play the game on PS4 and ask the people at the top of the leaderboards if they are using mice.

Hari Seldon

Really bummed because I wanted to play this on the comfy couch using a controller. But if someone I'm playing against is using a mouse, I'll just be destroyed.

I'd say the mouse is the best for precise aiming, but really stink for flying in general. A flight sim HOTAS setup will fly circles around a mouse user, but the mouse user will be able to snipe way better. I'm eager to try this with a PS4 controller, it might actually provide a nice middle ground.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yes, I have played the game. I'm playing it right now. I played on PC with a M/KB (movement was clunky as hell) and I'm playing on PS4. It may be easier, but it's not inherently better. I don't want to get into this but if you really want to be the judge for yourself play the game on PS4 and ask the people at the top of the leaderboards if they are using mice.

That's exactly what I plan to do.

The PC leaderboards are dominated by mice users currently, I don't see that changing if this game is cross-platform.

coolasj19

That's exactly what I plan to do.

The PC leaderboards are dominated by mice users currently, I don't see that changing if this game is cross-platform.

I look forward to the results. Please post them here when you have enough.

Yo guys... War Thunder doesn't have an OT. It needs an OT. It's too unfocused as is even without multiple forum threads.

Herne

Gave this a go just now, my Speedlink Black Widow was on the list luckily so I jumped straight in. Controls are wonky as others have said, but I'll give it a proper go tomorrow and adjust the sensitivity. Was quite fun, I took down three enemy craft in the last game which made me feel accomplished as a complete noob to the game :)

Will try and get friends interested in joining up.

coolasj19

I'm going to punch an infant animal if my pilot gets knocked out again. I... I can't take it. I dump points into Vitality and it still happens. Do I need to max it?

Doombear

Can anyone out there tell me were exactly I need to click to have the game show me my XP until next rank?? I cannot find it anywhere...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd say the mouse is the best for precise aiming, but really stink for flying in general. A flight sim HOTAS setup will fly circles around a mouse user, but the mouse user will be able to snipe way better. I'm eager to try this with a PS4 controller, it might actually provide a nice middle ground.

PS4 supports use of the touchpad to simulate mouse. Works ok but isn't perfect. I'd have liked a gyro option too - I think that woudl have been useful to maintain a track on a target.

for playing the game, mouse is best. But for the feeling of flying I greatly prefer a controller.

GodofWine

There are no ranks.

On PC there are ranks you progress through in each of the various countries air forces?? not on ps4?

These ranks unlock planes that are available.

Maybe theyre not called ranks, but there is certainly something tied to xp...or am I on crazy pills.

#NAReleaseNOWplease

perk1n

On PC there are ranks you progress through in each of the various countries air forces?? not on ps4?

These ranks unlock planes that are available.

Maybe theyre not called ranks, but there is certainly something tied to xp...or am I on crazy pills.

#NAReleaseNOWplease

I know. But they will change that. It will be like the ps4 system. Remember, ps4 is actually the "newer" version of the game.

http://warthunder.com/en/news/350/current/

Doombear

I think I understand now. I should have stated that my concept of Ranks/Tiers came from watching a Jiggles video where he was going through some quick ways to get out of the reserves. On PC of course.

My main confusion came from jumping on PS4 last night, finding a Mission that I had unlocked and seeing that instead of XP and Lions for rewards (as it showed on Jingles' PC video) I was going to get Research Points and Lions.

It seems like it may strictly be just unlocks now? So to get that Tier II P-40E-1 Kittyhawk, I don't need to rank up and buy it with Lions. I need to unlock it (buy unlocking the planes and gear from the planes before it) and buy it with Research Points.

EDIT: Aha, thank you for that perk1n! I was on the right track indeed.

coolasj19

.facebook_-969929066.jpg

The-Office-gifs-the-office-14948948-240-196.gif

Please... I am enjoying this to much... what's even the point? Hey guys, lets go pubstomp some people while the servers are separated.
My loathing is misplaced. The people have prior history on PSN. IE : Not special accounts made for pubstomping. I am now self-loathing. Because I suck.

coolasj19

Played this for all of 10 minutes on the PS4. Did not enjoy myself. Felt very much like the shell of a game.
Don't think 10 minutes is enough to judge a game. Do the tutorials, get a few kills, come back in 2-3 hours. Hell, 1 hour. You may or may not have pre-conceived notions about the game since you used language like "shell of a game". Compared to what?

Don't think 10 minutes is enough to judge a game. Do the tutorials, get a few kills, come back in 2-3 hours. Hell, 1 hour. You may or may not have pre-conceived notions about the game since you used language like "shell of a game". Compared to what?

As in it felt like it should be a mission in a different game instead of a full fledged game. Wasn't very exciting for me, graphics didn't do much for me, presentation didn't do much for me and the tutorial was pretty awful. I just know it wasn't something I'd like to subject myself to for more than 10 minutes or so.

I find it funny how games that have short tutorials need far more, especially when they have so much in their interface that goes unexplained. And then games that don't need extensive drawn out tutorials (The new Adventure Time for example) do.

Blacklight: Retribution is another game that desperately needs a better tutorial. I feel bad for wiping the floor with people because I understand how to play the game.

pestul

I'm going to give this another go soon.. I really love the feel of playing with my Logitech joystick, but knowing the M/K crowd has a distinct advantage is a little annoying.

I guess I really need to calibrate that mode because I found it to be awful the few times I tried.

Wow this game is a LOT of fun, more fun than world of tanks even (which I played for years)
Wot is very methodical but this also has the controls itself being a blast

Only just started so I might change my mind but right now I enjoy it so much

I do like the idea of vehicles repairing over time, doesn't punish you for not playing every single day like WoT did

TheMan

my computer is too shitty to play anything modern, but I do miss the simplicity of fighter ace, which sounds pretty similar to what some are describing here. in fact, i'm gonna find out if there is still a community out there somewhere...

Quasar

These kinds of complaints make me wonder what happens to PC gaming when you have a flood of people using Steam machines and steam controllers on various PC games. Are people expecting companies to segregate different kinds of PC users too?

Also...someone mentioned flight stick support on the PS4. Just what flight sticks?

Anton668

highly doubt that as...

Over the past three weeks the Ground Forces HQ issued 26 special tasks. Completing each of them increased player’s chances of accessing the Ground Forces CBT. And today the lucky few are receiving the letters

which doesnt add up with this...

Played this for all of 10 minutes on the PS4. Did not enjoy myself. Felt very much like the shell of a game.

demolitio

PC Tank beta I assume?

Still really loving it on PS4. Nearly have my Kittyhawk... sooooo close.

Tank beta is only for a very few people right now that are dedicated players and most of them are Russian as of right now. Phase 2 is coming soon where more people will get in but who knows...Tanks aren't on PS4 yet and won't be until the beta tests are over unless he's an actual alpha tester which like has been mentioned, doesn't add up with the 10 minutes comment. Tanks right now are just AI targets for bombers afterall.

Enjoy the Kittyhawk. It's amazing. The F6F is good again in 1.37 as well so you have a good tier 6 aircraft waiting for you too.

Edit: And the game isn't even cross-platform right now. Save those complaints for when they're actually possible. Anyone on PC will tell you that joysticks are at a disadvantage compared to mouse players in aiming but we can maneuver better than them. The same thing will happen with controllers.

demolitio

And it's going to look even better on PC once the 1.37 patch hits and DX11 support is added.

Yea, I tried it on the dev server a few days ago (supposedly the last test before it goes live) and the differences were astounding. The ground of course looks a lot better thanks to tanks coming soon, the effects were a lot better, and it all ran a hell of a lot better too which says a lot considering how well it ran before.

I just made sure to fill all my tree gaps while I could before 1.37 hit so I don't have to grind as much. As someone who plays all nations around tier 14 or 15, the new system means a lot more work but actually makes it so I can to a jet next instead of having to rank up 5 more times in the U.S. I don't really care for the jets anyway but I'm trying to be optimistic with the new system.

I just wish they didn't mess with Historical Battles so much for 1.37 and Full Real as well.

Kaper

I just made sure to fill all my tree gaps while I could before 1.37 hit so I don't have to grind as much. As someone who plays all nations around tier 14 or 15, the new system means a lot more work but actually makes it so I can to a jet next instead of having to rank up 5 more times in the U.S. I don't really care for the jets anyway but I'm trying to be optimistic with the new system.

I just wish they didn't mess with Historical Battles so much for 1.37 and Full Real as well.

While they sure look nice, jets aren't really the be-all and end-all plane. No one really plays them often, MiG 15s usually outnumber the Sabres, and when you do get a game it usually involves a squad of players on one side which imbalances the teams before adding the different jets into the equation. The game really shines in the lower tiers of planes (1-13 on PC and era's 1-3 and the early part of 4 for PS4). This is talking about HB and FRB; I don't play arcade anymore.

I'm optimistic about the changes to HB. Over the last year there have been times where one or two nations always had a huge queue time, and according to Gaijin, the Allied nations are having that issue at the moment. The changes are to reduce the queue times for all nations, which is nice. It also allows for some neat scenarios: US vs UK, GER vs JAP, and UK vs JAP. I'll reserve judgement on the FRB changes as I currently don't play them that often due to the lack of players and the current meta.

demolitio

While they sure look nice, jets aren't really the be-all and end-all plane. No one really plays them often, MiG 15s usually outnumber the Sabres, and when you do get a game it usually involves a squad of players on one side which imbalances the teams before adding the different jets into the equation. The game really shines in the lower tiers of planes (1-13 on PC and era's 1-3 and the early part of 4 for PS4). This is talking about HB and FRB; I don't play arcade anymore.

I'm optimistic about the changes to HB. Over the last year there have been times where one or two nations always had a huge queue time, and according to Gaijin, the Allied nations are having that issue at the moment. The changes are to reduce the queue times for all nations, which is nice. It also allows for some neat scenarios: US vs UK, GER vs JAP, and UK vs JAP. I'll reserve judgement on the FRB changes as I currently don't play them that often due to the lack of players and the current meta.

Well for FRB, it completely ruins the gameplay. You have NO indicators of who is friend or foe and only see a blue dot if a friendly plane is flying within a couple hundred meters of you meaning the only way to identify an aircraft is by their shape and markings. With a mixed team, you can't do that anymore and you'll sometimes have to lose your advantage just to do a fly-by and see if it's a friend or not unless you just risk a teamkill.

Will HB's, it won't bother me as long as they keep their word about multiple HB events to go along with it but then they need to ADVERTISE events more. Most people don't even notice them considering it's just a small button way out of place. Boost the rewards even more for events more than the normal HB and FRB boosts and encourage people to play them.

Hell, originally, the game's World War mode was going to be based on Historical Battles until they realized most people weren't switching from Arcade mode meaning they had to scrap that idea.

And it's hard to tell whether the queue times would be a problem considering the massive matchmaking rework in 1.37 which might make it less of a problem. Instead of waiting to see, they implement it when most HB players don't want mixed teams. I say make the modes strictly Axis vs. Allies or East vs. West post-war before making them completely mixed. Now imagine the plane of the month (aka broken flight model of the month) being the majority of planes in each game on both sides instead of those people having to at least wait longer to deter them. With the La-9 being absolutely ridiculous in 1.37, I guess we'll find out how it handles the POTM.

I'm still excited for 1.37 but it does kind of suck that they did that and it's ironic given the name-change. Still love the game but it's quite the change for people that only played those modes and the current events aren't enough to appease them. The fact that the old HB maps are out and the arcade maps are in for the new HB's is also quite weird.

Kaper

Well for FRB, it completely ruins the gameplay. You have NO indicators of who is friend or foe and only see a blue dot if a friendly plane is flying within a couple hundred meters of you meaning the only way to identify an aircraft is by their shape and markings. With a mixed team, you can't do that anymore and you'll sometimes have to lose your advantage just to do a fly-by and see if it's a friend or not unless you just risk a teamkill.

Will HB's, it won't bother me as long as they keep their word about multiple HB events to go along with it but then they need to ADVERTISE events more. Most people don't even notice them considering it's just a small button way out of place. Boost the rewards even more for events more than the normal HB and FRB boosts and encourage people to play them.

Hell, originally, the game's World War mode was going to be based on Historical Battles until they realized most people weren't switching from Arcade mode meaning they had to scrap that idea.

And it's hard to tell whether the queue times would be a problem considering the massive matchmaking rework in 1.37 which might make it less of a problem. Instead of waiting to see, they implement it when most HB players don't want mixed teams. I say make the modes strictly Axis vs. Allies or East vs. West post-war before making them completely mixed. Now imagine the plane of the month (aka broken flight model of the month) being the majority of planes in each game on both sides instead of those people having to at least wait longer to deter them. With the La-9 being absolutely ridiculous in 1.37, I guess we'll find out how it handles the POTM.

I'm still excited for 1.37 but it does kind of suck that they did that and it's ironic given the name-change. Still love the game but it's quite the change for people that only played those modes and the current events aren't enough to appease them. The fact that the old HB maps are out and the arcade maps are in for the new HB's is also quite weird.

The Russian players have gone so far as to make a petition on change.org and I've read that Gaijin is currently re-evaluating the proposed changes for fully mixed battles, instead doing nation vs nation. FRB is not receiving fully mixed battles yet, for exactly the reason you stated.

The name change for the game modes was also needed since it's not very historical to have planes of all nations fighting together. Realistic refers to the plane behavior.

demolitio

You played one full game you say? shower us with more of your keen insight you expert.

OT: will the steam packs be on the steam sale?

I'm pretty sure they will be at some point. They've been on sale a few times with the most expensive one reaching quite an insane price which I would have bought if I didn't already have 3 of the premium planes in the pack. If it comes up again, I just might since the rest is still worth it alone.

I think I've seen them on sale 3 or 4 times with a major sale once so I expect them to eventually be a part of the Steam sale again anyway. I just wish we could get the tank packs from Steam too...

Quite a few of those premium planes are absolutely amazing even though I own the normal variants of a few of them now.

I'm pretty sure they will be at some point. They've been on sale a few times with the most expensive one reaching quite an insane price which I would have bought if I didn't already have 3 of the premium planes in the pack. If it comes up again, I just might since the rest is still worth it alone.

I think I've seen them on sale 3 or 4 times with a major sale once so I expect them to eventually be a part of the Steam sale again anyway. I just wish we could get the tank packs from Steam too...

Quite a few of those premium planes are absolutely amazing even though I own the normal variants of a few of them now.

Which pack would you suggest buying? (i guess the one with 10k lions so you never have to buy lions again?) So far this game seems cheaper than WoT in that the premium planes are much cheaper than premium tanks and that you don't need to buy a million garage slots to be able to actually own many planes (I spent too much on garage slots over the years in WoT)
The crew training aspect seems more pay2win though :\ especially at early levels

Are there sales for stuff like premium membership/crew slots/crew training (especially the latter) ingame?

I've got a bunch of other questions too after playing for a few days if any experienced player could answer them:p My ign is Finicky

Top Bottom