• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

Impulsor

Nope, you need at minimum 2 storage devices to transfer a drive.

Hdd1 - drive you want to move
Hdd2- drive that holds backup of drive one(This is basically a re-encrypt of drive1 which a psn account or same ps4 can unlock)

Move drive 1 to new ps4 and its unreadable so gets formatted before you can use the system. You then sign in to psn and can read the contents of drive 2 and replace everything on drive 1 with that. It's convoluted due to security.

Bleh. Thanks for the explanation though. Is the new 1200 version confirmed to be hotter?

Haven't noticed it to be hotter. It's still cool to the touch after a couple of gaming hours, provided you don't put your fingers up to the fans.

I've not heard it make any noise save the spinning of the disc drive, having played both mgs5 and rocket league. Huge difference to the launch model.

big_z

okay so I tested rocket league. I used free play mode in the training section and just left the car sitting there.

11xx ps4: the fan would ramp up very high within a minute or two. lots of woosh and the high pitch "weeeeeeeee" is very noticeable even with the speaker volume at a moderate volume.

12xx ps4: let it sit for 15-20 minutes. the fan ramps up slightly and there is only a very faint hint of the "weeeeeee" sound and that's with speakers on mute. the difference is massive. with the rocket league test I would say the 12xx is as quiet under load than a freshly turned on 11xx. this new model easily brings the noise levels closer to an xbox one which is a very quiet console.

this video posted a while back from a fellow gaffer basically shows the same results I got with rocket league.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adHm00MS5_I

its possible with a long play session it could get noisier but it should still be a large reduction over the previous models. fuck sony for not releasing this design at launch. if the noise your ps4 gives off annoys you (I hated it with a passion) I highly recommend swapping to a 12xx.

Bleh. Thanks for the explanation though. Is the new 1200 version confirmed to be hotter?

a bunch of people have mentioned it on various forums. it is noticeably hotter but its likely due to changes to the internals.(less material between the plastic and heat sink) the heat coming out the back doesn't feel different so im not concerned.

a bunch of people have mentioned it on various forums. it is noticeably hotter but its likely due to changes to the internals. the heat coming out the back doesn't feel different.

Define noticeably? I haven't noticed a difference in temperature over prolonged sessions. Maybe it differs between consoles, like the noise level does?

big_z

Define noticeably? I haven't noticed a difference in temperature over prolonged sessions. Maybe it differs between consoles, like the noise level does?

old models feel warm to the touch. the new one has a slight heat sting if you hold your hand there for a bit. its not hot enough to be a concern but heat from the heatsink is making its way through the top of the case easier than the old model.

With the size of games that will be coming out in the future, 1 TB PS4 should be the standard. I can't imagine how many GB FFXV will be.

In terms of design it seems like it was really meant to be used vertically from an aesthetic point of view. It looks pretty terrible when placed horizontally.

I'm always nervous to put my consoles vertical because of disc scratching. Have there been any problems with the PS4 on this?

Caayn

I'm always nervous to put my consoles vertical because of disc scratching. Have there been any problems with the PS4 on this?
Have had mine vertical upside down for quite a while now. And all my discs are still alive. Can't remember reading anything about the PS4 scratching discs either.

As long as the surface it's standing on is stable and you don't move the console while it's on you should be fine.

Syntsui

The earliest that the slim can get announced is E3 right?

It will be hard with SFV and Uncharted hitting early next year but I'll think about it I guess -_-

I almost bought one when MK X released, but I stood strong and here I am. Focusing on studies or other hobbies help too.

The fact that this new version might have a heating problem and that the controls are still absolut shit makes my decision less painful.

BadWolf

I almost bought one when MK X released, but I stood strong and here I am. Focusing on studies or other hobbies help too.

The fact that this new version might have a heating problem and that the controls are still absolut shit makes my decision less painful.

Good point, I'll try to wait it out :)

Kudo

That MGS5 PS4.. I hope they release special edition for Persona 5 in all red and some art on the top, would be rad and I'd get my excuse to buy the new model.

Have had mine vertical upside down for quite a while now. And all my discs are still alive. Can't remember reading anything about the PS4 scratching discs either.

As long as the surface it's standing on is stable and you don't move the console while it's on you should be fine.

Thanks for the info. The PS2 definitely had scratching issues when vertical, but I guess they've figured that out by now.

big_z

Man you guys really aren't painting a pretty picture of the new model, I have no idea which to get.

They're all built cheaply, there have been build quality complaints since launch and it will only get cheaper as revisions come out as the goal is cost cutting.

For anyone buying a ps4 today it would be foolish to buy anything other than a 1200 model. It's like going from a launch 360 to a slim360 in terms of noise.

The controllers won't change. The stick rubber issue seems to be resolved or reduced compared to launch units.

The 12xx shouldn't have a heat issue. The apu is the same as is the heat coming out the back. It only feels Warner directly above the heatsink and with less material between it and the plastic shell its expected. Console revisions are stress tested before being manufactured and in the off chance a long term issue arises Sony will have to replace all units much like Microsoft has to with the red ring.

I'm getting closer and closer to selling my PS4 and rebuying a new one. I've got it coming back from Sony for the third time, but I suspect no change. Their customer service is a goddamn joke.

I may try and hold out for a Slim now, or at least I'll finish up my remaining games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Just something I've noticed with my 1202 is that the OS goes funny a lot and crashes on boot up.

I've only had this console about a month and its already required more hard resets than my launch unit did in a year and a half.

leng jai

I've been using my PS4 vertical since launch with the official stand and it seems okay. Considering Sony themselves advertise it vertically on the box themselves then it shouldn't be a big issue.

Chronos24

I'm getting closer and closer to selling my PS4 and rebuying a new one. I've got it coming back from Sony for the third time, but I suspect no change. Their customer service is a goddamn joke.

I may try and hold out for a Slim now, or at least I'll finish up my remaining games.

I only allowed 1 system to go to the service center and it was the first and last one I'll ever do. Their customer service and their repair center really is a total and complete joke and an insult to consumers. Long story short, went through hell sending one out, then when I got my system back it smelled like someone dumped an ashtray and tiny pieces of cardboard into the system. It was also very loud right out of the terribly packed box.

Since then I ate the cost and traded that system off at Gamestop where I got their warranty and if I ever have an issue they'll replace the console with a new one right there in store.

I got the limted MGS 5 Edition some days ago. It was the quietest console of the last and the current gen I`ve ever heard...BUT: it made a constant, annoying "weeee" sound.
So I exchanged it. The second console was as loud as my old 10xx and11xx models.
Thank you Sony for releasing such trash.

Moreche

As much as I like my PS4 for gaming, it appears that Sony's current financial state shows in their PS4 hardware materials.

Sakujou

Banned
my mgs5(le-console) system is quite hot.

hotter than a ps3 or xbox 360.

i read that the new system(1200-series) has problems...?

could this mean that my system will eventually die?

M.D

What problems does the 1200 unit have? I'm buying the MGS bundle in the coming days, should I hold off?

cchum

All systems die....but not all systems really live.
eh mine is too, but it's cool. Probably be fine. You should have a one year limited warranty from Sony on it

big_z

theres a crazy guy leaving comments all over the place regarding the heat. I cant remember his username(I think its jedisomething) but hes gone through 30 ps4s for various reasons. he posts on sonys official message boards.

the system feels hot because of changes to the internal layout. the chip itself produces the same amount of heat but this is why it feels hotter.

if you took the plastic top off the old ps4 this is what you see.
FPuF6Sl.jpg

if you took the plastic top off the new 1200 ps4 this is what you see.
bW4yWVU.jpg

Chronos24

theres a crazy guy leaving comments all over the place regarding the heat. I cant remember his username(I think its jedisomething) but hes gone through 30 ps4s for various reasons. he posts on sonys official message boards.

the system feels hot because of changes to the internal layout. the chip itself produces the same amount of heat but this is why it feels hotter.

FPuF6Sl.jpg

bW4yWVU.jpg

Yeah perfectly explains why the top is hotter but obviously it's not a bad thing. As long as heat is escaping the machine in any way its a good thing

dealer-

What problems does the 1200 unit have? I'm buying the MGS bundle in the coming days, should I hold off?

None really. Maybe a bit hotter to touch but quieter during operation. Cheaper parts too but that's standard procedure for Sony for revised models. Oh, and it might have a small dent on the front too.

I went through five of them (three jetblack, two MGSV Editions). Four of them made that annoying "weeee" sound, one was as loud as the loudest of old revisions, so none of them was acceptable for me.

Danny-Boy

I've purchased the MGSV console and it is dead quiet. I actually pause MGSV every now and again and am amazed that that I can't hear it. Although I've never had an issue with PS4 fan noise as my launch PS4 was almost as silent as this. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to fan noise too. My Wii U drives me crazy because the disc doesn't stop spinning the entire time the system is on.

M.D

None really. Maybe a bit hotter to touch but quieter during operation. Cheaper parts too but that's standard procedure for Sony for revised models. Oh, and it might have a small dent on the front too.

I went through five of them (three jetblack, two MGSV Editions). Four of them made that annoying "weeee" sound, one was as loud as the loudest of old revisions, so none of them was acceptable for me.

Weird.

For CryTharsis, are you talking about the Japanese model or EU one? I'm probably getting the MGS version tomorrow or the next few days, hopefully I won't face any of those issues

Jeez and here I was hoping I might have more luck waiting for a 1200 sale. Yesterday I got my 1TB replaced by another by Sony (which is still the old model) - at least allegedly, but it also literally came with the exact same problems I sent it in for. Disc boot up sounds like a saw going through my floor, 5 minutes into a disc based game vertically it gives me the awful jet-engine ,,weee''. Horizontally is minimally better, but still shit in my setup, in which I'm pretty close to the TV/console.

I can only hope a real revision comes next year or so and fixes this. Bloodborne already was an annoyance, I don't even want to think about playing other silent ,,atmosphere'' games like Last Guardian with such trash hardware. As if my tinnitus wasn't bad enough, fuck this.

For CryTharsis, are you talking about the Japanese model or EU one?

Those were all EU models. If the first MGS V console hadn`t made that annoying constant "weee" sound it would have been perfect because the fan was nearly inaudible.

Today I bought another 1200-model (Until Dawn steelbook bundle) Gonna check that later...I hope this one`s at least somehow quiet.

Caayn

I would also attribute the increased heat to the heatsink in the CUH-12xx models.

Aluminum base in the 10xx and 11xx models vs steel base in the 12xx models. and the 12xx models doesn't seem to have a heatpipe running through the fins of the heatsink which the 10xx and 11xx models do have.

Chronos24

Those were all EU models. If the first MGS V console hadn`t made that annoying constant "weee" sound it would have been perfect because the fan was nearly inaudible.

Today I bought another 1200-model (Until Dawn steelbook bundle) Gonna check that later...I hope this one`s at least somehow quiet.

I hope so for your sake as well. The "wheeee" sound you hear is it similar to the sound you hear form the 1000/1100 models people show on youtube or different? One person here said it was somehwat similar but a different "tone". If this one does anything like that could you maybe post a video of it?

DCS

Banned
I hope so for your sake as well. The "wheeee" sound you hear is it similar to the sound you hear form the 1000/1100 models people show on youtube or different? One person here said it was somehwat similar but a different "tone". If this one does anything like that could you maybe post a video of it?
My 1200 makes a high pitched noise, it's irritating and in a quiet movie scene actually more annoying than fan noise.

big_z

I would also attribute the increased heat to the heatsink in the CUH-12xx models.

Aluminum base in the 10xx and 11xx models vs steel base in the 12xx models. and the 12xx models doesn't seem to have a heatpipe running through the fins of the heatsink which the 10xx and 11xx models do have.

There's still a heat pipe, you can see a bit of it poking out in the pictures. While it doesn't loop into the upper portion like the old design its attached to the steel base which should provide a lot more surface area to spread the heat across.

So what's the sound difference between the new model and an old model that's had its thermal paste redone?

Look a few pages back for the noise test video another gaffer made. Even with the thermal paste redone there is a large difference.

My 1200 makes a high pitched noise, it's irritating and in a quiet movie scene actually more annoying than fan noise.

When you first start the Ps4 and idle on the dashboard can you still hear it? If you can it might be coil whine. You can also try lifting the system off the shelf a bit to see if it stops as someone mentioned earlier their stand was amplifying system noise.

ps3ud0

Is there a teardown ofr the CUH-1200 yet? Be interested to see the internal changes

EDIT: Never mind, found it on one of the sites that can't be linked here but translates pocket news' findings. Forgot its been out in Japan for ages...

ps3ud0 8)

Look a few pages back for the noise test video another gaffer made. Even with the thermal paste redone there is a large difference.

Doesn't really mean much. There are people with the old model who say there's was already quiet and people with the new model that say there's is louder than their old one. I think if you already have an old model the only solution is to play the same games on the new one that make the old system sound loud, and if the noise is the same then keep exchanging until you get a quiet one.

t_wilson01

i just came back from GameStop and took advantage of the PS3/360 $100 trade-in offer towards a PS4 currently going on (expires on 9-20). Of the many GS stores in NYC, I'm lucky to have two relatively close willing to not only accept the fat model PS3, but to also allow two different PS3 models to be traded towards one PS4. As long as it's 120GB or more, "you should be good" it's what they say. I got a TLoU bundle (would have preferred the Batman bundle, but it's not available anywhere near) with a download voucher and to my surprise it's a CUH-1215A model. I'm out of the loop so I thought that only limited editions where 1200 series for the time being.

I received an email on 9-02 about this promotion so was very surprised that two GameStop stores I called yesterday morning did not know about it, including the one I went to today.The employee I had spoken with over the phone was not there so I had to tell them of the promo and even show them the email. Weird. Also they had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if they had 1200 series PS4s. I had to also tell them about the differences.

I hope so for your sake as well. The "wheeee" sound you hear is it similar to the sound you hear form the 1000/1100 models people show on youtube or different? One person here said it was somehwat similar but a different "tone".

That`s a good description. But even those "weeping" noises don`t sound exactly the same on every 1200 Revision, e.g. the model I bought yesterday makes another high pitched sound which I haven`t heard before and which is also annoying as hell.

It`s ridiculous: I bought the new revision because the older models` fan was too loud. Now I tested six of them and the sounds they were making, were even more annoying.
I`m going to exchange this PS4 one last time and if the new one is also making that kind of high pitched sounds I`m not going to buy another 1200 revision. It`s cheap bullshit comparable to those Xbox 360 S power bricks.

DonMigs85

There is no point since OS is most likely actively throttling the speeds [to ensure that every HDD provides the similar experience, and devs can count that their devkit HDD speeds are representative of all consoles].

It does improve loading times a bit in some games, and texture streaming in some games like Trials Fusion. But yeah, not worth the price premium.

Vashetti

Banned
There is no point since OS is most likely actively throttling the speeds [to ensure that every HDD provides the similar experience, and devs can count that their devkit HDD speeds are representative of all consoles].

There was a component change in the 1200 model which many theorised could provide better SSD speeds, that's why many are interested to see if there are any actual differences.

DCS

Banned
There was a component change in the 1200 model which many theorised could provide better SSD speeds, that's why many are interested to see if there are any actual differences.
I had an SSD in my launch model which I have moved into my 1200 and haven't noticed any performance or speed differences.

Top Bottom