• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 | Review Thread

6QjPPYi.png
This guy seems to hate videogames lol... Can't wait for this game.

Ooccoo

Why isn't the first page updated ? There are so many other reviews out already

GamerGen 19/20
http://www.gamergen.com/tests/the-w...ndai-namco-test-review-verdict-notes-262324-1

I'll do a quick translation (hey, it's my job!) for people who might be interested to know:

+
Grand, immense and generous
Looking good for a number of reasons
Geralt and other characters have some crazy charisma
The bestiary is huge enough
The combat system is very smooth
So much to do
The game's universe is wonderfully cohesive
Really impactful choices
Sets the bar for open world games

-
Perfectible lock (not too sure what he means by that since I have not read the review yet, but probably the combat system requires some time to learn?)
Some bugs
A bit chatty (W1 and 2 were too though)
Bosses are a bit too simple (in complexity)
Boat rides are long

As someone who was fine with the combat, the main problem I saw other people mention is that Geralt had a lot of additional animations in his sword swinging, so that when you pressed a button, you were locked to something you couldn't get out of. I'm sure there's other issues people had with it, though.

Thanks! I thought the animations were a little overdone, but for the most part I learned how to time my hits properly and use some of the animations to my advantage. Maybe people were thinking it'd be all hack-n-slash? I thought the combat was almost 'Souls'-like, which I really love.

Sanctuary

Holy shit. I fully expected to see a 9.0 from Gamespot and most mainstream sites, but not a 10.
It's too bad about the fetch quests though. But I guess no one could realistically expect there to be none.

iNvid02

eurogamer's preview sounds like its going to be labelled essential, i like their policy of only reviewing retail copies.

NP57gsP.gif

Any word on whether the game is any less chauvinistic or sexist than 1 & 2?

Gamespot briefly touches on it in their review:

The connection between Ciri and Geralt proves to be the story's strongest driving force, but Ciri is not a damsel to be rescued, though it may seem so at first, especially in this particular world. This is a place where women struggle to find respect as political candidates, as armorsmithing masters, and even as proper members of a functioning culture...Women, as it happens, are also this story's strongest force. If you have played a Witcher game before, you know many of them already. The most powerful of them are former members of the Lodge of Sorceresses, few of them outright likable, and each of them defiant in the face of death.

There's a bit more in the actual review, but it could be considered a bit spoilery, so I didn't include it.

Man I know the hype is real for this game, but are there actually people in this thread happy about a day one patch? Is that where we've gone now?

squidyj

For a very simple reason: giving a low score to a HUGELY hyped game means directly upsetting a very large fanbase and make their pitchforks rise against you.

This means actively destroying your business, since that business is built on that same fanbase you are going to upset.

Going forward we'll see less and less critical reviews of AAA titles, especially when the dev company isn't coming from Ubisoft, EA or Konami (that are already seen as "evil" and so criticism is allowed).

it's not a good game, people praising the combat are completely fucking lying, IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY, WAKE UP SHEEPLE.

I'm not trying to be that guy, but I always take a wait and see approach with this type of stuff. It's not inspiring that these issues weren't already addressed before review copies were sent out.

Yeah you're right to say that.

I'm sorry GAF but the hype in me is real right now.

That said they haven't failed me yet so I'm optimistic.

SwordofDestinytrailer.gif

Hey I was a little bummed about the "downgrade" myself. Even said it in the thread for that. But what I mean by always delivers is quality. Witcher 3 is still gorgeous and according to people I trust like Bloodworth its an amazing RPG.

Corpekata

Banned
They did announced 2 weeks ago about this patch day 1.

Haven't we heard this a lot though? Day 1 patch will fix a bunch of vague stuff, people take it to mean it'll be perfect when it probably means they fixed it so Geralt's hair doesn't blow in the wind indoors anymore.

TMC

Looks very promising indeed. I loved The Witcher 2. I'm still kinda concerned about the massive open world aspect of this game instead of the tighter world of The Witcher 2. And I'm also a bit concerned about how it'll run on my 280X. :|

280X is much more powerful than what the PS4 has. At the very least, I would bet you could run it at PS4 settings at a higher framerate. I have asked the same question with a 290 and most say it will be far superior on PC than PS4 for my card.

Vire

I would never expect 30fps locked in an open-world game. ;)

Heh, I mean you can lock Infamous Second Son at 30 FPS and AC4 is a locked 30, but I understand the sentiment. Different scope and whatnot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHjM-TnLlPc&spfreload=10

I think VideoGamer put up a nice video review, and he made it sound like the performance impact really really significant (towards the end of the video). He said that dips happen in all phases of the game, walking in town, combat, riding a horse. Give it a watch if you have time.

So I remain weary, even after that tweet.

Ushay

Man I know the hype is real for this game, but are there actually people in this thread happy about a day one patch? Is that where we've gone now?

It's better than leaving a game broken no? Take what you can get imo.

These games are so much more bigger than they used to be 5 years ago. There are always going to be issues abound.

shandy706

So I was hoping I didnt have to buy this (feeling poor lately)

Where is the cheapest place to get this? Nuuvem?

Go to the Buy/Trade/Sell thread.

HERE

Look through the last 4 to 5 pages and keep an eye on it. One person recently had it for $25.

I got it for $20 a few weeks ago. I've not seen it lower lately:)

Top Bottom