• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

amardilo

Great show, loved listening to it and hearing the predictions.

It's amazing that is just seems like when John Davison is on a podcast the quality and level of the discussion goes up astronomically.

Also this makes me miss 1UP Yours!

Salaadin

It's the pre-E3 edition of Weekend Confirmed and hosts Garnett Lee and Jeff Cannata send you into your weekend in a special way by welcoming in Shacknews' Andrew Yoon, as well as Precursor's Paul Caporicci and Denis Dyack. They waste no time diving into the dystopic world of The Last of Us and what makes it one of the best games you'll play this year. Also, there's a brief history of Silicon Knights and Eternal Darkness before candidly discussing the upcoming Shadow of the Eternals, its goals, and its setbacks. The crew also addresses your listener feedback before speculating on the future of consoles and discussing the manifesto from Gunpoint's Tom Francis. Finally, the team sends you into your pre-E3 weekend with a new round of Finishing Moves.

Download

Paches

I wanted to hear them (and all podcasts) address this DRM shit because their earlier cop outs were "This isn't final, we don't know for sure".

It is time to address it now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, Garnett going straight to the throat with "why should anyone trust you?" type questions.

Hrm, he didn't really push him on the SK thing though. Dyack speaks as if SK is an existing entity that he has nothing to do with and is still in operation.

DaBuddaDa

Garnett pretty much confirmed something from Bethesda at E3, right?

Come on, Fallout 4!

The writing is on the wall, certainly. Skyrim was a year and a half ago now, believe it or not. I'm not convinced it's Fallout though. I think it may be another Elder Scrolls game, doubling down/riding the high off Skyrim's success.

good podcast

Dyack is a cool dude, he didnt need to spend so much time apologizing for past PR blunders
Listening now and I tend to agree. He was fired up and went about things in the wrong way. Sounds like he regrets how a lot of it went down. As someone who has written professionally, I certainly understand that feeling if looking back on something you wrote or said in the past and cringing a bit. You can disagree with Dyack on some things but the dude is passionate about games.

Also, not that I needed more hype for The Last of Us, but damn, the little bit they talked about it just sounds so damn good.

Grisby

Good podcast. Dyack went far down the rabbit hole but he was pretty good here. Feel like I could listen a while to him just talking games.

Nice praise for Remember Me. I'm glad Garnett brought up the impact of the remixing stuff. It generally made me feel creepy and bad in a way that no other game has presented. I agree with Andrew that the combat is rough but I also agree with Garnett about some of the strategy stuff. Problem though is you don't need to use a lot of the tools given to you and when you do try to use them they are not as easy as they should be (i.e targeting).

Shame a lot of reviews were so down on it. It's basically Enslaved but with a 100 percent more game. More interesting story and world IMO too.
I'm not listening to Dyack, someone post Garnett's impressions of Nier he talks about it please.
He mentions it briefly at the end Stu. It's on his list of summer games and he wants to talk about what he has played.

Good podcast, No reciprocity mentions... though ;) I feel a little bit more at peace with Dyack. I'll support his game if the first episode is good or gets made. ;)

John Davison will be back for the E3 week podcast btw and he has a few things to say about the DRM-Used games-Always on stuff :)

Slime

Banned
Damn it, I was so convinced Garnett was teasing some inside info on a Fallout 4 announcement in that last episode. Got all hyped after they showed Elder Scrolls Online and transitioned into a post-apocalyptic wasteland, only to quickly realize it was just Mad Max.

Nooo! First real disappointment of E3 for me so far.

R1CHO

Jeff has been uploading videos of his e3 impressions here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CannataJeff/videos

I guess is ok to put it in this thread.

ibtd1GC6un6syB.gif

BJK

Somewhat disappointed that the elephant in the room (the Kotaku article on SK and X-Men Destiny) was largely talked around. It's hard to get enthused about crowdsourcing when the person you'd be giving money to has a history of diverting funding to fuel pet projects.

(I assume this was a condition to getting the interview, lest Garnett go full Shadowrun on him.)

On the plus side: John Davison tweeted that he's recording the new Weekend Confirmed today, so more Johnny English!

LQX

I wonder if Jeff will get into the amazing things DRM can do for us today.

Cant wait for their impressions.

OzzMejia

Neo Member
Pardon our tardiness, but this week's podcast is up and ready to go!

It's a packed house for the post-E3 edition of Weekend Confirmed. Hosts Garnett Lee and Jeff Cannata welcome in an esteemed panel of guests, including Red Robot's John Davison, Polygon's Arthur Gies and Justin McElroy, Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z lead designer Cory Davis, and Nintendo World Report's Jonathan Metts. They cover anything and everything E3, breaking down the conferences (along with the Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U points of interest) and the many games, including Ryse: Son of Rome, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, TitanFall, Infamous: Second Son, Forza Motorsport 5, DriveClub, The Crew, Super Mario 3D World, The Elder Scrolls Online, Watch Dogs, Tom Clancy's The Division, the Oculus Rift, and so much more.

Download
iTunes
Stitcher

We also wanted to have Xav de Matos on, but he fell into the inescapable Vortex of Hellfire and Hades that is LAX and couldn't make it.

Enjoy the show!

Top Bottom