• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

c4U4n.png

nHKui.png

From the GAF Gaming Podcast of the Year Thread:

5. Weekend Confirmed - 102 pts

2012 Thread: Weekend Confirmed Episode Whimsy| Let’s All Love Loving Things

One of the podcasts on GAF that inspires some of the more heated debates and discussion (going by the official thread). Garnett , Jeff 2Ns1T and crew continue to keep the talk going, building on the legacy started back in the days of 1up Yours with weekly commentary on the newest video game releases and news, football tail-gating discsussion, as well as commentary on the industry at large. Regular guest members such as Jeff Mattas, Andrea Rene, Andrew Yoon, and Christian Spicer round out the (normal) 4-person crew, with occasional visits from members of such studios as Gearbox, Naughty Dog, and Insomniac.

Important Links
Podcast Archive
iTunes
Zune
RSS
Shacknews

l7Blz.png

Garnett Lee
Formerly the host of 1up Yours. Garnett is now the editorial director of GameFly Media, a publisher of iOS games and is never playing Crysis 2.
Garnett on Twitter

Jeff "2N1T" Cannata
Formerly the co-host of the Totally Rad Show. When not podcasting, or skipping podcasts to be an actor, Jeff spends his time loving things.
2N1T on Twitter

Recurring Guests:
James Stevenson (Community Lead at Insomniac)
"Indie" Jeff Mattas (Writer for Shacknews and Editor of Indie Games Channel)
Christian Spicer (Claims to be a comedian but we all heard Stanky Dick)
Andrew Yoon (Senior Editor at Shacknews)
Ariel Angelotti (Assistant Producer at PlayStation)
Andrea Rene (Machinima personality)
Nikole Zivalich (Spyro and Pokemon fan)

SKJcR.png

jrKzd.gif

Special thanks to keyser soze for the banner!

Weekend Confirmed 144 - Holiday Special Part 1 - 2012 retrospective
This week kicks off a special two-part episode of Weekend Confirmed to celebrate the best in gaming for 2012. A cavalcade of special guests joins Garnett, Jeff Cannata, and "Indie" Jeff Mattas, including Shacknews' Andrew Yoon, James Stevenson from Insomniac, Jason Paul from Naughty Dog, Andrea Rene from Machinima, and comedian Christian Spicer. Personal favorites of the year are revealed, and much fun and merriment is had by all. Be sure to tune in next week for Part 2 of the special Weekend Confirmed holiday/end-of-2012 celebration, too!

Show Breakdown:

Round 1 - 00:00:50 - 00:32:19
Whatcha' Been Playin Part 1 - 00:33:04 - 01:04:24
Whatcha Been Playin Part 2 01:05:08 - 01:42:40
Listener Feedback/Front Page News - 01:43:23 - 02:19:06
Tailgate - 02:19:46 - 02:26:03

Download Episode 144

Weekend Confirmed 145 - Holiday Special Part 2 - 2013 predictions
Thankfully, the Mayans were wrong, so Weekend Confirmed is back for Part 2 of the special holiday/year-end celebration, with some predictions about hardware and software for 2013. Garnett Lee is joined by Jeff Cannata, Jeff Mattas, Andrew Yoon, Andrea Rene, Jason Paul, Christian Spicer, Mike Schramm, and James Stevenson. Some more talk about 2012 favorites occurs, as the crew bids the year a fond farewell. One behalf of the entire cast, we thank you for listening and hope you all have a safe and happy New Year!

Show Breakdown:

Round 1 - 00:00:31 - 00:34:12
Whatcha' Been Playin Part 1 - 00:34:58 - 01:05:10
Whatcha Been Playin Part 2 01:05:58 - 01:35:24
Listener Feedback/Front Page News - 01:36:11 - 02:17:34

Download Episode 145

The show never recovered from losing Leahy. It's still entertaining but I find myself skipping weeks every so often due to lack of interest. At least Mattas is rad.

krae_man

Talking about set top boxes, Say Microsoft and Sony go separate routes for that.

For example, Microsoft goes cable box, you get it for a discount if you sign up for a cable contract and you have to buy the $150+ /month cable package with Live or whatever.

Sony on the other hand, says "cable's dying, buy the individual channels/services you want" and goes a la carte. Assume with this you can't get everything you want a la carte in the beginning(eg no HBO Go on it's own).

Who wins in the end?

Also for reference:
ween-garbage-can-punckpjht.gif

BJK

I still love you guys, bring Nikole back for stories!

Nikole justifying football picks in the tailgate
by completely recycling analyst cliches with no apparent NFL knowledge
may even be better than hearing her talk Pokemon.

Chuckman

Subscribed as well.

I've listened to every episode and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. I get a kick out of Nikole too. I hope to see her back a lot this year! I'm liking these end of 2012 shows too. It gets a bit ridiculous at times (such as Andrew's GOTY the year picks, Andrea's slurred speech and everybody talking over each other) but I find it entertaining.

Ricker

You forgot the girl who was on G4 with the high pitched voice I think...I like her although she doesn't appear often she is a semi regular no? anyway,hoping for another good year of game discussion...

EDIT: nm been mentionned hehe...

Can anyone help me figure out why I cant download this from my phone? Ive tried direct links and the gamefly app and it just gives me a download unsuccessful.

Aesthet1c

I'm listening to the last episode of 2012 now, and I know GAF loves to hate on Andrea, but I just have to say I really can't stand her.

Maybe it's because of the bad rap she got a few months ago, but everything out of her mouth sounds like PR. The way she completely discredited Jeff's opinion of Dead Space 3 and then tried to convince him it's still Dead Space by bringing up multiple points of how it's not Dead Space. Then she continues by interrupting Garnett, telling him Aliens: CM is guaranteed to be amazing because she sat in on a panel one time.

She just really brings down the show. I know she is a friend of theirs and all, but its really hard to tolerate the episodes she is on. I'd much rather they have Nikole or Ariel on, both of them are great and just seem really down to earth.

LiK

I'm listening to the last episode of 2012 now, and I know GAF loves to hate on Andrea, but I just have to say I really can't stand her.

Maybe it's because of the bad rap she got a few months ago, but everything out of her mouth sounds like PR. The way she completely discredited Jeff's opinion of Dead Space 3 and then tried to convince him it's still Dead Space by bringing up multiple points of how it's not Dead Space. Then she continues by interrupting Garnett, telling him Aliens: CM is guaranteed to be amazing because she sat in on a panel one time.

She just really brings down the show. I know she is a friend of theirs and all, but its really hard to tolerate the episodes she is on. I'd much rather they have Nikole or Ariel on, both of them are great and just seem really down to earth.

Funny thing is i don't think she knows or remembers Jeff is a Dead Space hater in general. He only played a small portion of each game in the series and has completely dismissed the franchise in general. Trying to persuade him to check out Dead Space 3 is a waste of time.

Can't believe Yoon didn't like Dead Space 2 either. He didn't point out why he didn't like it which bugged me. He just made some bleh noises.

Did Mattas and Garnett hate on Spec Ops the Line? I don't get it.
Here's the whole conversation courtesy of Antitrop:

(on Far Cry 3)
Jeff Mattis: "Now I don't think they were nearly as sucessful as they wanted to be in creating that second layer. I think it's there if you want to look for it, but its really not as well developed as.... You can play the whole thing on a surface level and not ever try to look for deeper meaning because you're so into the Rambo archetype."

Garnett Lee: "Better or less... More or less developed than Spec Ops?"

Jeff: "Having not played Spec Ops. Oh wait, no, no, no, no, no, I'm sorry. The Line, not the mode from Black Ops II."

Third wheel: "Another reason why your game was named horribly."

Jeff: "Way better, I think."

Garnett: "I would not disagree. I think we all know that my opinion on Spec Ops: The Line was fairly sour."

Jeff: "Dude, and I'll tell you I mean Spec Ops is one of those games where I still see people tweeting about it and I'm like "What fucking game did you play?" Like that's my, Ohhhhh my god."

Garnett: "It's not what game did you play, it's "Did you really want to read into your game?"

Third wheel: "People wanted to be impressed by it."

Garnett: "We want to feel good about ourselves. We wanna feel like "Ya, our hobby, we love our hobby and our hobby needs something excellent for us to put out there..."

Third wheel: "Just go play Journey and Walking Dead."

Garnett: "Exactly."
Yes the only possible reason someone might like Spec Ops The Line is because they wanted to be impressed by it, and to feel good about themselves and their hobby.

Fjordson

Still love this show (even Andrea). Here's to another year of episodes. Though I still need to listen to the 2012 wrap up episode.

LiK

Yes the only possible reason someone might like Spec Ops The Line is because they wanted to be impressed by it, and to feel good about themselves and their hobby.

Wut. I might need to relisten to an older ep for a clarification of their dislike for it. Spec Ops was great. One of my top ten games of the year. I strongly disagree with them about it.

Riposte

I wonder what prevents someone saying the same thing about TWD and Journey.

Thanks for reminding me, she made me exceptionally angry during the latest podcast as well. I'm only half way through so I can't comment on the 2nd half, but here it is:

When Andrew said that one of his top games of the year is You Don't Know Jack: Facebook edition, Andrea completely went into playground bully mode on him. I've never played YDKJ on Facebook but was interested in why he thought this; like what makes this one better? She went into, "OMG, YDKJ? WTF man, that's like not even a serious game. It does nothing that hasn't done before." She scoffs at it, completely dismisses his opinion, and gets loud.

This really angers me.

The fact that she dismisses anyone's honest opinion, as if his doesn't mean as much as hers anymore, is what angers me. It's like she can't comprehend that different people like different things. I've been here before, when I was a teenager and my favorite game was Chrono Trigger and not something mainstream popular like Mortal Kombat. People were like, "What the hell is Chrono Trigger? That sounds dumb, you're an idiot."

And to counter her "It does nothing that hasn't been done before" argument, that doesn't mean that it can't be good. She frequently brings up Kingdoms of Amalur as one of her favorite games of 2012 and wow, THAT is a game that does nothing new but is still excellent, so wtf?

I try to tolerate Andrea on the show but she makes it so damn hard. Weekend Confirmed is my favorite podcast but if it makes my angry while I listen to it irl, I don't think that's a good thing. I know they were drinking on this episode so perhaps if she backed off the alcohol she'd be more tolerable. The other time she made me super angry was a drunk episode, so perhaps that is the key factor.

This is one of the greatest and least self-aware things I've ever seen, Weekend Confirmed does it again.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
New to the world of gaming podcasts and this is one I've enjoyed recently. Definitely makes my D3 runs more bearable.

In Andreas defense, Garnett didn't even know who Lance Henriksen was. This completely eliminates any credibility he has in the discussion. He's the most ignorant host ever simply because he only plays something for two hours let alone finishes it.

frequency

Garnett's "sleep with or marry" thing was super uncomfortable to listen to. Especially because he kept going back to it.

So was the ending where I guess Andrea and someone else were teasing the people talking with nudity? I know it wasn't meant to but it really felt gender demeaning. Here is one of the few women we have regularly on games podcasts... that ends the year with teases of breasts.

And again I am reminded that maybe video games is just a boys club.

DaBuddaDa

In Andreas defense, Garnett didn't even know who Lance Henriksen was. This completely eliminates any credibility he has in the discussion.

Garnett can't speak to Aliens: CM because he didn't remember who one of the voice actors was? What does that have anything to do with how good the game is? This is a video game, not a movie starring Lance Henriksen.

Ironically, Lance's inclusion in Aliens: CM falls right into what Jeff Cannata was saying about how space marines have been co-opted by video games already so there's nothing special about the Aliens franchise: he's already the voice of Admiral Hackett in all of the Mass Effect games. I will never be able to un-hear that.

Garnett can't speak to Aliens: CM because he didn't remember who one of the voice actors was? What does that have anything to do with how good the game is? This is a video game, not a movie starring Lance Henriksen.

Ironically, Lance's inclusion in Aliens: CM falls right into what Jeff Cannata was saying about how space marines have been co-opted by video games already so there's nothing special about the Aliens franchise: he's already the voice of Admiral Hackett in all of the Mass Effect games. I will never be able to un-hear that.

Andrea was speaking to how the theme of Aliens contributes well to the video game itself. How can you understand what she's talking about if you don't even know about the movie and it's main stars? Nobody knows how good the single player is or the gameplay in it yet.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Personally, I just love how often Garnett mentions that he's on the development side now because Gamefly is working on iOS games.

He's a writer for Indie Games Channel as well as Shacknews, so he does have some cred. He professionally covers independent video game releases.

I know he's actually into indie games.

He just didn't offer up any specifics as to why TWD and Journey aren't as great as everyone is saying.

It's annoying to make a comment like that and not back it up. Was it problems with those games? Are there games he'd recommend that gave him those same feelings or experiences before TWD and Journey? Be helpful, don't just call something overrated for no reason. (I'll admit that accusations of "overratedness" are a pet peeve of mine and that is motivating the amount of attention I'm giving to what were probably throwaway statements.)

Aesthet1c

In Andreas defense, Garnett didn't even know who Lance Henriksen was. This completely eliminates any credibility he has in the discussion. He's the most ignorant host ever simply because he only plays something for two hours let alone finishes it.

Andrea was speaking to how the theme of Aliens contributes well to the video game itself. How can you understand what she's talking about if you don't even know about the movie and it's main stars? Nobody knows how good the single player is or the gameplay in it yet.

I don't get your point. Garnett didn't know off the top of his head who Lance Henriksen was, so he had no credibility in the conversation? Give me a break. Besides, as soon as she said Bishop, he knew who she was talking about.

I don't get your point. Garnett didn't know off the top of his head who Lance Henriksen was, so he had no credibility in the conversation? Give me a break. Besides, as soon as she said Bishop, he knew who she was talking about.

Lance Henriksen was in a couple other Alien movies as well, not as Bishop either.

Any Sci-Fi/video game fan of Garnett's age will know who this is. Seriously, how can you not know who Lance is off the top of your head and be able to talk about the Alien franchise. You can't. And this is just one of the many reasons why Garnett has barely any credibility at all. Every guest he has out shines him.

Aesthet1c

Lance Henriksen was in a couple other Alien movies as well, not as Bishop either.

Any Sci-Fi/video game fan of Garnett's age will know who this is. Seriously, how can you not know who Lance is off the top of your head and be able to talk about the Alien franchise. You can't. And this is just one of the many reasons why Garnett has barely any credibility at all. Every guest he has out shines him.

I honestly can't think of a dumber thing to get hung up about when talking about a video game, but ok.

Massa

Garnett knew who he was, he asked her to explain for the benefit of the audience.

Ariel and Nicole are awesome guests. I love the shows when they are on. Also love love Jeff, especially now that Weekend Confirmed is the only Jeff I get since they took Totally Rad Show away from me. Weekend Confirmed should get Dan and Alex on sometimes as guests. That would be awesome. Jeff Mattais is also great and turns me on to cool smaller games I'd often miss. Love Christian Spicer, just not his comedy (sorry Christian!). FYI Christian has a new podcast with everyone should check out called "Uninformed Opinions" with Wombat from Cheap Ass Gamer. Andrew Yoon is also great. I have to admit, it took me a while to get over his voice because (as I'm sure he knows) it just isn't a "radio voice" but he's a great guest--often funny and insightful. I'm glad he's on the show.

But honestly, and when I say this I truly am not trying to be mean spirited, I simply can't listen to the shows with Andrea any more. It is nothing personal. She may be a very cool person. And it is not even because of the whole shady Machinima thing (which was indeed shady) or that she often sounds like empty PR or (and she really does, even if it is a coincidence). It is because she simply isn't a good conversatonalist on this podcast. She often gets hammered, slurs her words and talks loud (as she did in this episode) and even when she doesn't she almost never has actual conversations with anyone anyway. She talks at people rather than to them and issues opinions like she is throwing darts at a dart board rather than setting something on the table for conversation. I honestly can't think of a time where she appeared to be reflective or exploring an idea. And that is what makes good conversation for me. I literally turned this episode off half way through because it was so grating. I tried again later and ended up turning it off a second time.

Ariel and Nicole are awesome guests. I love the shows when they are on. Also love love Jeff, especially now that Weekend Confirmed is the only Jeff I get since they took Totally Rad Show away from me. Weekend Confirmed should get Dan and Alex on sometimes as guests. That would be awesome.

I don't mean to be negative, but I simply can't listen to the shows with Andrea any more. It is nothing personal. She may be a very cool person. And it is not even because she often sounds like empty PR (and she really does, even if it is a coincidence). It is because she fucking hammered, slurs her words and talks loud (as she did in this episode) and even when she doesn't she almost never has actual conversations with anyone anyway. She talks at people rather than to them. I literally turned this episode off half way through because it was so grating. I tried again later and ended up turning it off a second time.

nailed it

Top Bottom