• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Announced [PS3 / XBOX 360 / PC / 3DS] - No Wii Version Official

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
ShadiWulf said:
someone has translated the latest video interview by iizuka-san
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/05/02/another-sonic-generations-interview-video/
I foresee a massive hero/villain team up to defeat this "mysterious new nemesis" threat. Isn't that how these crossover stories work?

As long as it's not some random "ancient evil" upstaging Robotnik/Eggman in the final act, it could be interesting.

Astrosanity said:
Wish combining Sonic 3 with Sonic & Knuckles didn't get rid of one of my favorite boss themes of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBTAGVnfXAw

No idea how Michael Jackson's involvement with Sonic 3's soundtrack eluded people for so long with music like this.
This MJ + mini-boss theme mash-up is pretty badass.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ShadiWulf said:
it it going up or down? lmao
It's getting up there. :p

My brain wants to say that it's someone like Ixis Naugus, but I doubt SEGA's going to do something like that.

m7ecQ.jpg

That said, I would much rather Robotnik and Eggman being the final villains than this "new nemesis".

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Dark Schala said:
It's getting up there. :p

My brain wants to say that it's someone like Ixis Naugus, but I doubt SEGA's going to do that. Comic Canon is not equal to Game Canon.

http://i.imgur.com/m7ecQ.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
haha, I remember that dude! Damn, it's been almost a decade since I've read a Sonic comic.

TheOGB

Banned
PRE-CATCHING UP
I would laugh like a fat, glorious bastard (so, like
Eggbotnik
) if the final boss did turn out to be the new villain.

And after about 4 hits, Eggman and Robotnik come out of nowhere and disable them, and the fight goes on against the Eggmen.

CATCH-UP
Lijik said:
DINO JUNGLE >(
ITS A JUNGLE WITH DINOSAURS
WHAT MORE COULD YOU POSSIBLY WANT.

DO THE FUNKY.
I can't help but agree. It's a jungle.
Wickity wow?

Sciz said:
Sonic 1 and 2, specifically. Masato Nakamura and DCT were the up and comers at the time and he didn't come cheap, even with a favorable licensing agreement.
And it's just a damn shame. A damn shame.
Mad props if you realized that was a reference before highliting this

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Blueblur1 said:
He's back now... again... for like the 5th time.
I thought Hyper Tails, Sonic, the researcher dude and the Yeti got rid of him.

I can't believe I remember all of that...

Showmeyamoves said:
To Hell with Shadow. Knuckles will always be the better rival to Sonic.
This. That's the kind of relationship I always thought they were supposed to have. Those two issues were the best.

The game adaptation issues weren't too bad. I especially enjoyed the Knuckles comics, but that's because he was my favourite character when I was a kid.

AogR9.jpg
ViuMW.jpg
NYgHo.jpg
fw4iB.jpg

Nintendo Power used this picture for next month's teaser:

CjyMb.jpgp

Nintendo Power said:
Has it really been 20 years since Sonic the Hedgehog first raced onto the scene? That makes us feel old. Nevertheless, we'll set down the prune juice and climb off our Rascal scooters for a big celebration of the Blue Blur's landmark anniversary. Fans young and old won't want to miss it!

Sonic Generations for Wii 2? Thanks RawmeatCowboy for the confirmation!

Kujo

If they do have a Wii 2 version, it should be the best looking version I'd hope. Though we'd have to wait 6+ months for it over the other versions I assume.

[Nintex]

It could be the Wii 2 version, Game Informer had a scoop on the first 'Revolution' game(Red Steel) back in the day well before E3.

Oh and there was EA My Garden/Gardens that was the first unveiled 3DS game.

Suzuki Yu

now it's confirmed by Lizuka himself , all sonic team members are working together now.
"Three years ago we started thinking on what could we do in 2011 to celebrate sonic's anniversary.Back then, we still hadn't organized a team to work on the creation of Sonic Generations, but that were we started to gather ideas to of what to do to celebrate the anniversary.Until the creation of Sonic Unleashed, we had the teams divided by projects, even inside Sonic Team.Now, the structure of the company is much more dynamic and we all work together on our sonic games.We have a much bigger fusion of ideas and people, instead of a separation inside of the team himself."

so people should stop talking about Unleashed/Colors teams, since "Unleashed team" done with unleashed they've become one big team.

SykoTech

^That's good to know. Maybe now we can avoid random disasters like Black Knight.

Showmeyamoves said:

I wish Sega would realize this. It's much more interesting to see Sonic rivaled by someone with different skills rather than a dark, beefed up version of himself. But they've pretty much turned Knuckles into Sonic's doormat.

Blueblur1

Shadowlink said:

http://i.imgur.com/CjyMb.jpgp[IMG]

Sonic Generations for Wii 2? Thanks RawmeatCowboy for the confirmation![/QUOTE]
I [URL="https://twitter.com/#!/Blueblur1/status/65181696261238784"]tweeted about it the other day[/URL] when I got my issue. I suspect the same thing.

Don't forget that Mario & Sonic at the London Olympics qualifies as a 20th Anniversary game too. Even if there is a Cafe Generations, we're not going to see it in a magazine until solidly after the console's proper announcement.

KevinCow said:
Wait, what? Sega doesn't own the rights to classic Sonic music? That's fucking stupid.
They didn't used to. Some time a few years ago they struck a deal to where they could use exact Genesis recordings when they wanted, but they still had to pay DCT if they wanted to make remixes.

I'm hoping that with the 20th Anniversary, they've finally got that sorted out. They seem to be taking their history a little more seriously, and they're obviously remixing GHZ music in the Generations gameplay videos. It would be nice if they actually owned the soundtracks to some of their most iconic titles of all time in full.

OMG Aero

Shadowlink said:
If they are going to have a Wii 2 game in their next issue, wouldn't they tease the Wii 2 instead of a Sonic game for it instead?
Not to mention that the Wii 2 will be out next year, and it's Sonic's 20th anniversary this year. It's probably Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, or a different game that's just for the Wii.

FoneBone

Shadowlink said:

CjyMb.jpgp

They are not showing a Cafe game before E3 (when subscribers get the next issue), and they're not going to make their very first Cafe feature on a game that couldn't appear on Cafe until about 6 months after the other versions.

Suzuki Yu said:
now it's confirmed by Lizuka himself , all sonic team members are working together now.

so people should stop talking about Unleashed/Colors teams, since "Unleashed team" done with unleashed they've become one big team.

So what you're saying is that Colors has only been in development since early October at the earliest? A year of turnaround time is not good for a game this important.

Suzuki Yu

AbsoluteZero said:
So what you're saying is that Colors has only been in development since early October at the earliest? A year of turnaround time is not good for a game this important.

colors most likely was under-development for two years more or less (Nov 2008 - Nov 2010)
and at the same time the team was working on Generations which is considered as their biggest project at the time , and this is the 3rd year since they started working on the project.

i said this before many times but people still think of sonic team like they are still working in different groups.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Showmeyamoves said:
I fucking loved that issue along with this one.

ea0fb50d-33ef-49ec-b643-29b948826dba.jpg

Oh, man. That was one of my favorite issues when I was younger.

Some years back, when SEGA moved offices from Townsend to Rhode Island, there were mass giveaways of stuff that we either didn't have room for or people just didn't want to carry over. Each day you could find all sorts of new goodies in the old break room - to most people they were junk, but to me, and anyone else who calls themselves a SEGA fan, it was pure gold.

One evening, I went by after finishing up for the day and found boxes scattered across the room. Each one contained anywhere from 30-40 copies of a single issue of the Sonic Comic, and they probably had 50+ boxes there, all filled with different issues. I loaded my backpack up as full as I could to save them from getting thrown out. (The backpack was very, very heavy that night.) On their own legs, I really enjoyed the story and characters of the Comic series in those first few years, though I haven't been as up to speed on them lately.

Sciz

RubyEclipse said:
On their own legs, I really enjoyed the story and characters of the Comic series in those first few years, though I haven't been as up to speed on them lately.
I will happily take this opportunity to tell a Sega rep to check out a modern Sonic product.

The comic's much better on average these days than it ever was pre-Flynn.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Sciz said:
I will happily take this opportunity to tell a Sega rep to check out a modern Sonic product.

The comic's much better on average these days than it ever was pre-Flynn.

Cool. I stopped reading somewhere around the Mina Mongoose love triangle thing, post issue 100+. (The art style changed drastically, and I wasn't as big a fan of that either, personally.) Where do you recommend jumping back in, issue wise?

Shadowlink said:

I'm guessing Mario & Sonic 2012. I recall Sonic 1 GBA and Sonic Rivals being hailed as 15th anniversary games despite Sonic '06 being the "big" game. I assume they'll do the same for any Sonic titles released this year.

How are the comics these days, anyway? Aside from the one I already posted, I never really owned any, although a friend of mine did collect the regular ongoing series and the Knuckles comics (Which were pretty awesome, as far as I remember)

RobbieNick

RubyEclipse said:
Cool. I stopped reading somewhere around the Mina Mongoose love triangle thing, post issue 100+. (The art style changed drastically, and I wasn't as big a fan of that either, personally.) Where do you recommend jumping back in, issue wise?

Possibly #200 where Eggman finally snaps and goes insane after billionth time trying to kill Sonic. Or, you can check out Sonic Universe. A series of constant 4-issue story arcs which focuses less on Sonic and more on the other characters. My favorite being "The Tails Adventure" from Sonic Universe #17-#20. It's a full-on adaption of the original Game Gear story where Tails, along with Freedom Fighters Bunnie and Antione (and T-Pup a robot sidekick Tails invented for himself whom I guess was in the game) fight against the Battle Bird Armada. It's an action-packed and comical story. For more of a silly story, check out "Treasure Team Tango" (SU #21-#24) it's kinda like "It's a mad-mad world" only with a huge fight over a Sol Emerald.

To be up to date on recent events on the main Sonic book, I think #219 on has been the current story of Geoffrey St. John (that skunk with the wrist crossbow that always hated Sonic) being a possible traitor to the kingdom of Acorn as he side with the evil wizard Ixus Naugus who has a claim to the throne from some thing that happened in the past. IMO, it's not a great story so far, but the latest issue (#224) does end with Eggman and the return of the Death Egg!

#225 Is supposedly where a character dies, dimension warping stuff happens and we end up with #226 "Sonic: Genesis" a reboot of sorts that brings Sonic back to his roots or freeing Flickies and fighting Dr. Robotnik. This 4-part story has each cover redoing an original Sega Genesis boxart.

Say Ruby, I'll be seeing you at E3. Do you want some of my issues?

RubyEclipse said:

I want to say somewhere not far before 175, which is the big "shake things up" issue where Flynn took things into his direction a little more solidly.

You'll also want to pick up the Sonic Universe series, which works as a compliment/Elseworlds series of stories to the main Sonic comic, also written by Flynn.

I also think the new penciller they have as of late, Ben Bates, does a great job. Here's his art blog, and he even drew this picture of every major incarnation of Sonic and Eggman dueling it out:

Articalys

I think I dropped the Archie Sonic comic a little before the arc with the aliens and Sonic getting thrown halfway across the universe or something. Is there anywhere to just read up on the main plot points that occurred in the meantime, just in case Genesis does somehow do a full reboot of the series? Because I'd at least like to know what I missed but can't afford to backorder that many issues.

RobbieNick

It should also be noted that famous Sonic artist Spaz (Patrick Spazniate) return to Sonic with Sonic: Genesis. Also, he is currently doing Mega Man which #1 comes out next week!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
RobbieNick said:
http://www.tssznews.com/2011/05/04/report-separate-nintendo-specific-sonic-in-the-works/

Looks like we may see another Sonic Wii game before the year's over.
Sounds good. I get the feeling that if it's a game built for Wii (ie: not the Wii's "port" of Generations), then it could be a really nice experience.

Man, I stopped reading the Sonic comics around... 2004, I want to say. Last issue I read had to do with Sonic, Knuckles and the Chaotix teaming up against the Dark Legion on Angel Island. So it's been a while. I remember starting to dislike the art style shift as well.

So... 175/200 might be a good place to start?

The more Knuckles, the better. I kind of liked his portrayal in those comics, and in his own series (before it ended, at least). I remember Sally Moon, the Sailor Moon parody--when Sonic was warping to different dimensions. And both issues of Sonic Kids. They were okay. Sonic Firsts wowed me because it was like a trade paperback rather than a regular old comic.

VduUu.jpg
dduGZ.jpg

There's a Mega Man comic now?

RobbieNick

Willy105 said:
I only have these ones:

STH155.jpg
Sth164.jpg

The first one was pretty weird, but the second one made no sense at all.

Sanford is the worst cover artist they've ever had. Always making Sonic's quills all droopy for some godforsaken reason.

Sciz

RubyEclipse said:
Hmm. Rough question.

Ian Flynn comes in as the writer at #160 and spends the next year primarily cleaning up the general stupidity of the fifty preceding issues (aside from 166 and 167, which are shameless pandering to a painfully popular fanfic-grade what if arc from the 130s). But he also introduces a bunch of plot threads that constitute a lot of the basis for the rest of his run on the book so far, so it's hard to pick a precise jump-in point. The 2007 and 2010 Free Comic Book Day issues are solid one-offs, if you can find them. #171 is more or less standalone as well, aside from leading into something that doesn't come back up until the 180s. The cleanest break after that is probably #200, which kicks off a somewhat unnecessarily long but distinct plotline from everything before it. More recently there's three two-parters between #213-218 that don't really have anything to do with anything (and are consequently a lot of fun coming off the interminable arc before them).

Alternatively, Robbie's suggestion to pick up one of Sonic Universe's arcs isn't bad (except #5-8, which is more of the aforementioned pandering), as they're all essentially self-contained.

The art is on the whole much better than it used to be, thanks to the ongoing efforts of Tracy Yardley and some more recent fresh talent. Steven Butler's still around too, but he's finally figured out how to more or less stay on model.

No surprise if another Wii game is underway.

If it's a Wii version of Gens, cool.

If not, cool, then hopefully Gens will get a later Cafe release.

And as TSSZ noted, M&S3 is covered in the current NP issue so it's not that.

Now it could be the 3DS game that was sorta announced at E3 in the game list and mentioned later by Iizuka.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Green Scar said:
lololololololololol sonic alone
That one made me laugh pretty hard, myself. Why does it look like he has LONG FLOWING SILKY SMOOTH HAIR on that cover?

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Yeah.
http://www.nintendojo.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Mega-man001.jpg[IMG]
IIRC, the first four issues are supposed to be an adaptation of the first game.[/QUOTE]
Nice! I might check that one out if it's received well.

Articalys

From what I vaguely remember reading summaries over the last several years, after #100 and they all get kicked out of the city or something, there's all the love triangle stuff, then aliens attack, then political intrigue or something, then alternate universe shenanigans with that evil Sonic character, then I completely lost track of what the hell was going on.

In contrast Universe seems to have a scene in the newest preview where the line "Did you just hit me with the island?" makes sense in context. That sounds like fun.

^There's a bit with Shadow and Marine in one of the first issues of Sonic Universe that's golden. It's taken out of context a lot, but in the comic it works hilariously.

Hero of Legend said:
I thought they only showed promo art in the current NP?

But the more I think about it, it probably is some unknown 3DS project.

US comic looks so soulless compared to the UK comic :'(

Though, I've never seen some of those 90s covers before. They look a lot cooler, a lot closer to the game art.

Catalix

Oh man, nostalgia overload! Spaz was the shit. It was a real treat whenever he got a chance to illustrate any of the actual stories in an issue, like Mecha Madness.

RubyEclipse said:
Yup that's about the time I jumped ship as well. I'm almost tempted to check in on things again.

I can genuinely say I absolutely LOVED the Knuckles the Echidna comic during its run. Consistently better art and writing than the main Sonic comic at the time. Only 32 issues :(

And how about those Knuckles covers that connected together every 3 issues? Brilliant stuff.

Zen

Banned
Hero of Legend said:
No surprise if another Wii game is underway.

If it's a Wii version of Gens, cool.

If not, cool, then hopefully Gens will get a later Cafe release.

Now it could be the 3DS game that was sorta announced at E3 in the game list and mentioned later by Iizuka.

I personally hope that we're getting Sonic Colors 2 for the Wii (if it sold well enough). I'm more than a little apathetic towards the constant sideways branding of all the new Sonic games that come out and would love to see a direct iteration upon Sonic Colors.

Top Bottom