• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Tri Official Site Updated

Tenbatsu

yurinka said:
Even the real screenshots (not the HD bullshots) reminds me the PSP/versions with better lighting, the game looks really great.
Its not just the lighting, if you watch the trailer carefully, you can tell that everything in the game had leveled up. The poly count, the textures (except the meat, god knows why), animations, water etc etc. Those screens really don't do justice to the game.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Tenbatsu said:
Its not just the lighting, if you watch the trailer carefully, you can tell that everything in the game had leveled up. The poly count, the textures (except the meat, god knows why), animations, water etc etc. Those screens really don't do justice to the game.

True Story, animations, destructable enviroment - everything looks way better in motion than the screen woul imply... the scene in the dark cave just looks awesome :eek:

btw. yes, kinda funny everything with those good textures - than the meat :lol
but the game has stil many months in development - i`d assume that also the meat will be polished up a bit....

Poly counts look to have been upped across the board. Textures seem basically the same, so far, though. More video would be good. The HD bullshots are obviously useless.

It's going to look great, no matter what, of course.

Defuser

slidewinder said:
Poly counts look to have been upped across the board. Textures seem basically the same, so far, though. More video would be good. The HD bullshots are obviously useless.

It's going to look great, no matter what, of course.
I would say they retextured and remodel some stuff. Rathian wings and tail looks different.

Any other old players think MH3 looks more and more like a prehistoric environment with dinosaurs, familiar-looking ancient creatures and stuff...? Right now I can't tell if it's a good change or not.

Tenbatsu

AnimeTheme said:
Any other old players think MH3 looks more and more like a prehistoric environment with dinosaurs, familiar-looking ancient creatures and stuff...? Right now I can't tell if it's a good change or not.
Its like that all along so am not sure what you're referring to.

Tenbatsu said:
Its like that all along so am not sure what you're referring to.

Many of the new monsters revealed so far look very much like dinosaurs. Most old monsters have a more fantasy-oriented style (various forms of dragons and legendary creatures that don't exist in real life).

Tenbatsu

AnimeTheme said:
Many of the new monsters revealed so far look very much like dinosaurs. Most old monsters have a more fantasy-oriented style (various forms of dragons and legendary creatures that don't exist in real life).
Erm...I dont think so. If you ever play Monster Hunter 1 for the PS2, there are already lots of monsters that are reference from dinosaurs or existing creatures. If you ever have the chance to get any Monster Hunter illustrations, you will know which monsters they took reference from. Monsters in MH usually took cue from real dinosaurs/animals and tweaking the design to give them a fresh new look.

Some examples:
Velociprey/Genprey/Ioprey - Velociraptor
Diablos/Monoblos - Triceraptor
Lunastra/Teostra - Lion
Tigrex - T-Rex
Narugakaruga - Bat + Panther
New Sea Dragon - Crocodile

Do observe carefully the monster's behaviour in game and their outlook, its pretty interesting and you will realize that the amount of research Capcom did for this game is amazing.

Info for you guys
The characters/armors/weapons main designer is Edayan.

spindoc said:
Wow at all the new shots. Any direct feed footage yet?
Yes.
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=B-QciE_IwCw
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=pEQEuhGcbWA

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Guess there aren't any. Asking about direct dude!

I don't think the new shots look alien to the MH franchise, maybe it's been so long since we've gotten something truly refreshing in terms of design that it can be off putting at first.

Tenbatsu

spindoc said:
Guess there aren't any. Asking about direct dude!

I don't think the new shots look alien to the MH franchise, maybe it's been so long since we've gotten something truly refreshing in terms of design that it can be off putting at first.
Sorry:( Direct feed footage will be shown next week at TGS.

Tenbatsu said:
Erm...I dont think so. If you ever play Monster Hunter 1 for the PS2, there are already lots of monsters that are reference from dinosaurs or existing creatures. If you ever have the chance to get any Monster Hunter illustrations, you will know which monsters they took reference from. Monsters in MH usually took cue from real dinosaurs/animals and tweaking the design to give them a fresh new look.

Some examples:
Velociprey/Genprey/Ioprey - Velociraptor
Diablos/Monoblos - Triceraptor
Lunastra/Teostra - Lion
Tigrex - T-Rex
Narugakaruga - Bat + Panther
New Sea Dragon - Crocodile

Do observe carefully the monster's behaviour in game and their outlook, its pretty interesting and you will realize that the amount of research Capcom did for this game is amazing.

I said "more fantasy-oriented style". I didn't say they were completely fantasy-oriented. Yeah I know dinosaurs (and existing animals) have always been a common source of reference for the designs of MH monsters, but the final designs don't really look that much like real dinosaurs.

- ian and los look like dragons more than dinosaurs, not to mention fatas.
- Kusha looks even more like a fantasy dragon without any trace of dinosaurs.
- Teo and Luna look like some kind of Sphinx.
- Kirin is self-explanatory enough.
- Tiga has a T-Rex-like head yes, but its lizard-like body and movement makes it nowhere near a dinosaur as a whole. Similar things apply to mono/diablos and some other monsters as well. They look like some kind of "fantasy-style" hybrids.

If you take a deeper look into the new screens of MH3, you can see that they are trying to re-shape the environment and everything with a more prehistoric style. Those new prey-like monsters look even more like dinosaurs than ever. Even the new sea monster and that new weird bird give you some kind of "prehistoric" feeling more than fantasy.

At least these are the feelings from someone who have been playing MHP from 1 to 2 to 2G for more than 2000 hours. Yeah I am probably one of the most hardcore MH(P) player in GAF (I think at least some of my previous XLINK GAF teammates should agree :lol ).

How many monsters are there in pas MH games anyway?

It could just be Capcom simply tying the select few environments tying all the different creatures together.

Kuran

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
r2vm93.jpg

32 Playable booth for MH3 Tri at TGS.

Looks like a map of my brain right now.

I'm actually excited about Mii integration in this game, wouldn't it be funny to suddenly see your ex girlfriend's face (who you keep forgetting to delete from your account) on a giant Kushala? The old windbag.

Defuser

titiklabingapat said:
How many monsters are there in pas MH games anyway?

It could just be Capcom simply tying the select few environments tying all the different creatures together.
If you count in various color types then it's around 76 monsters excluding monsters from frontier.

Tenbatsu

AnimeTheme said:
I said "more fantasy-oriented style". I didn't say they were completely fantasy-oriented. Yeah I know dinosaurs (and existing animals) have always been a common source of reference for the designs of MH monsters, but the final designs don't really look that much like real dinosaurs.

- Tiga has a T-Rex-like head yes, but its lizard-like body and movement makes it nowhere near a dinosaur as a whole. Similar things apply to mono/diablos and some other monsters as well. They look like some kind of "fantasy-style" hybrids.

If you take a deeper look into the new screens of MH3, you can see that they are trying to re-shape the environment and everything with a more prehistoric style. Those new prey-like monsters look even more like dinosaurs than ever. Even the new sea monster and that new weird bird give you some kind of "prehistoric" feeling more than fantasy.

At least these are the feelings from someone who have been playing MHP from 1 to 2 to 2G for more than 2000 hours. Yeah I am probably one of the most hardcore MH(P) player in GAF (I think at least some of my previous XLINK GAF teammates should agree :lol ).
Ok I get what you are referring to. I think it varies from individuals. To me(or my MH buddies), Monster Hunter all along gave me that dinosaurs + prehistoric feel thats why. Sure there are fantasy based creatures but overall it still gave me a prehistoric feel more than a fantasy one. That's why even the new environment and creatures fits in and don't give me the 'too prehistoric' look. Or maybe its the fact that I only played the console versions? Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter 2?:lol Anw interesting views you have there.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Tenbatsu said:
Ok I get what you are referring to. I think it varies from individuals. To me(or my MH buddies), Monster Hunter all along gave me that dinosaurs + prehistoric feel thats why. Sure there are fantasy based creatures but overall it still gave me a prehistoric feel more than a fantasy one. That's why even the new environment and creatures fits in and don't give me the 'too prehistoric' look. Or maybe its the fact that I only played the console versions? Monster Hunter, Monster Hunter G, Monster Hunter 2?:lol Anw interesting views you have there.

Have you seen the Akura in MHFrontier? Very cool addition.

Tenbatsu

spindoc said:
Have you seen the Akura in MHFrontier? Very cool addition.
SlvrAkala1.jpg

Yap I saw it, the scorpion like creature. I hope it makes it way into MH3 Tri as well. Or rather retain all the old ones together with the new ones. It will make the ecosystem much more alive.

sammy

AnimeTheme said:

to me MH has always had a style that I could only refer to as some kind of paleo-punk. the dinosaur/prehistoric influence really pushes the experience from the start for new players, and the seasoned veterans are rewarded with beasts from all kinds of fantasy genres that still fit into that zoologically educated art style MH has. a lot of this is influenced by the outstanding environments that have a lot of photographs as texture and feel as much like "virtual vacation" locations as possible. couple that with mo-cap characters that are very expressive, and you have to make the beasts as natural looking as possible for their characteristics to come through.
I love MH for the opposite reasons i love SotC ---- the beasts are fucking difficult, they earn your frustration and they feel rewarding to take down.

I can't help but feel that much of the MH success over seas could have a lot to do with the popularity/opportunity paleontologists have had in China with so much discovered over the last two decades. i would assume Japanese culture has been exposed a lot more to interesting prehistoric discoveries, especially when compared to the states here where paleontology is often something educators have to defend, even if it's taught at all.

I love MH, not only for the paleontological stylings. but because of the wyverns. my pet-peeve as a child was dragons with 6 appendages ... to me all land vertebrates are tetrapods, they have 4 appendages so that's how i would doodle 'em. HM does it pretty elegantly, when they have a 6 appendage western-fantasy dragon they usually put effort into making the wings look like they formed on their own evolutionary path (not another set of arms where fingers became webbed)
I love how the Daora's wings seem formed from its shoulder scales and no skeletal structure ........... /dragon nerd

damn, i hope the Akura makes it over. it looks like a fun one ... i hate missing out on any new MH creatures :[

EDarkness

kassatsu said:
Hopefully that guy just sucked, because the camera was really bad.

I've just come to grips with the fact that action games in 3D have bad cameras. Why they can't lock it behind the player, I have no idea.

kassatsu

Banned
EDarkness said:
I've just come to grips with the fact that action games in 3D have bad cameras. Why they can't lock it behind the player, I have no idea.
I can control the camera fine in the PSP version. The guy playing wasnt even looking at the monster half the time.

That guy just sucks. There's no way they'd have dropped the center-camera button, and he wasn't even using that.

Cool transition near the end, where they go from fighting on land, to following into the water, and then back up into an above-water cave.

You don't need to if you keep the camera pointing in the right direction to begin with, but he'd be running right at the wyvern, with the camera pointing the wrong way, and slowly and clumsily trying to to manually adjust it.

Tenbatsu

Tenbatsu

TGS Booth
im81e0.jpg

4hrs wait to play the game.

Game's Weapons in the game available at the booth
- Big Sword
- Small Sword
- Hammer
- Light Bow gun
- Heavy Bowgun

New stuff from the gameplay video:
- Seems that sometimes when the player gonna knock flying, you can do a recovery.
- To use items, hold C button and press A to use. Scroll left or right should be using the directional pad on the wiiremote or analog on nunchuk.
- Rotate camera using Wiiremote directional pad
- B button to roll
- + button draw/keep weapons
- Dash Nunchuk Z button
- Reset camera C button on Nunchuk

Olaeh

Remember how everyone was saying this would only sell about 4-500k LTD? I'm beginning to think its a million seller lock.

Top Bottom