• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Lucas Making Changes to Star Wars Saga... Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Cgi yoda looks nice and is all well and good, but how about using all that sfx magic to redub that kids lines. I'm sure no one will complain then.
Give him a deep baritone voice

antonz

Wonder if they will ever fix ROTJ when the A-Wing crashes into the Bridge. You can see its a car they are driving through the set heh

It's going to be interesting to see how much he adds to the new movies considering how much he thought needed to be added to the originals and they were the ones people actually liked.

Hmm, I like CG and puppet Yoda.

However, if I think about it, Yoda doesn't do anything in 5 or 6 that requires CG Yoda.

The real test for me is: if they remade The Labyrinth. . .would I prefer the puppets or have them done in CG? I'd go for the puppets. There is a quality about them that makes me prefer them that I just can't pinpoint.

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, are '97 special editions available on DVD?
I don't want 2004 edition, i've seen those on TV and they're abominations.
And i prefer '97 edition to the originals, though those are better than 2004 version...
And i'm skeptical about these next versions. Very much so.
Also:
Puppet Yoda for the win.

Medalion

Banned
Woorloog said:
BTW, are '97 special editions available on DVD?
I don't want 2004 edition, i've seen those on TV and they're abominations.
And i prefer '97 edition to the originals, though those are better than 2004 version...
And i'm skeptical about these next versions. Very much so.
Also:
Puppet Yoda for the win.
In what way are the 97 versions of the Special Edition better just curious...

keeth

Neo Member
Solo said:
38099093983636470.gif

If it helps, here's a fixed version. Only took a few hours. Just watch this .gif when the scene comes up!

VfJv9.gif

:)

fake edit: actually, i could have moved him another few pixels into Luke's boot. Oh well.

Woorloog

Banned
Some additional fitting CGI, not 2004 crap... wait, i don't actually remember the changes anymore. Just that i've always found those better. I think i saw those first, then the originals.
BRB wookieepedia

MaddenNFL64

Why did he ever add in Greedo shooting at Han, damnit George... just had to annoy people with that.

Ah well. The technical side of the BD release sounds great.

edit: also im one of those people who can enjoy the prequels, though I do groan at the cheese & bad acting, and there is a ton of it lol. Still, I watch em & enjoy them, for the most part.

Woorloog

Banned
'97s are the best despite Han not shooting first.
A few scenes inserted, most notably that Han/Jabba confrontation in ANH, special effects are enhanced... it generally looks better than originals. Or 2004 version for that matter.

Monocle

Mama Robotnik said:
MEMO

To: Undisclosed recipients

Date: 22nd August 2011

Subject: Star Wars 2011/12 Star Wars Special Editions.

[snip]
Great stuff. And sadly plausible.

T-0800

GaimeGuy said:
oh joy. Now we get to see Hayden Christenson in makeup when luke unmasks vader!

I support this and I saw the original Star Wars when it first came out. That makes me more important than the rest of you......or something.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The TPM CGI Yoda still looks bad. The voice track and acting don't match well. I suppose it's better than the abomination that was the puppet.

Xun

Would love to see the original theatrical versions on Blu-Ray someday.

But anyway, hopefully Lucas can fix the godawful CGI in the previous versions. The animation was mostly awful.

Dead Man

Woorloog said:
'97s are the best despite Han not shooting first.
A few scenes inserted, most notably that Han/Jabba confrontation in ANH, special effects are enhanced... it generally looks better than originals. Or 2004 version for that matter.
I have the 97 verwsions on VHS, but no VCR :( They are the best compromise between upgraded sfx and Lucas shitting it up.

WillyFive

It doesn't look like they fit.

Anyway, I have been watching Returning to Jedi (the documentary), and I would have liked to see Han Solo die and Boba Fett to stick around longer in the movie.

Need to see footage of the new Ewoks before I pass judgement.

And I never knew there was even glass in the Cobra scene of Raiders. Shows how much I pay attention.

Zoramon089 said:
Because old movie Yoda looks like garbage. I liked the old movies as much as anyone but Yoda DID NOT AGE WELL. He looks terrible
Does Amazon sell Facepalms? Because I need to order a million of them to be shipped immediately.

S1kkZ

there is a rumor that vader now screams "noooooooo!!!" while turning against palpatine. i really hope this is not true.

Medalion

Banned
S1kkZ said:
there is a rumor that vader now screams "noooooooo!!!" while turning against palpatine. i really hope this is not true.
No... it's the Emperor who screams NOOOOOO when he falls down the shaft :D

S1kkZ

Medalion said:
No... it's the Emperor who screams NOOOOOO when he falls down the shaft :D
oh, ok. do you know if they changed anakin at the end of jedi? the test footage they used didnt fit at all.

Rapstah

If those eyes are actually well attached to the bodies of the Ewoks they'll look fine. Ugly-ass costumes in the first place.

LulaBrasi

Maybe some of you already mentioned this, but are the laserdisc versions not the theatrical releases in widescreen? Why not just get the laserdisc (or some rip of them or something, i know it's a copyright infringement, but if you already own the original dvd's i can't see the problem). The laserdisc versions should be the defenitive editions, no disgusting cgi addons, Han shoots first aaaaand it is widescreen opposed to the dvd theatrical release...

Nizz

keeth said:
If it helps, here's a fixed version. Only took a few hours. Just watch this .gif when the scene comes up!

VfJv9.gif

:)

fake edit: actually, i could have moved him another few pixels into Luke's boot. Oh well.
You know, I'll honestly be disappointed if this wasn't fixed for the Blu-ray release. :/

LulaBrasi said:
Maybe some of you already mentioned this, but are the laserdisc versions not the theatrical releases in widescreen? Why not just get the laserdisc (or some rip of them or something, i know it's a copyright infringement, but if you already own the original dvd's i can't see the problem). The laserdisc versions should be the defenitive editions, no disgusting cgi addons, Han shoots first aaaaand it is widescreen opposed to the dvd theatrical release...

That is essentially what Lucas did for the DVD versions of the untouched OT. But sadly it was non anamorphic, so it was in the proper aspect ratio, but really low resolution.

Medalion

Banned
PhoncipleBone said:
That is essentially what Lucas did for the DVD versions of the untouched OT. But sadly it was non anamorphic, so it was in the proper aspect ratio, but really low resolution.
But those were Full-screen, not widescreens

LulaBrasi

PhoncipleBone said:
So actually, that's not what he did at all :D he saw how perfect the laserdisc version was, then transfered it to dvd in the wrong aspect ratio just so he (lucas) could prove his point and show the world how ugly the old ones where...

So... Laserdisc edition > laserdisc rips > dvd theatrical..

BattleMonkey said:
They were widescreen, just not anamorphic. Not same as Full screen versions

Beat me to it. Fool screen, err...I mean full screen, is when they chop the picture to make it fit the 1.33 frame. The Laserdiscs and DVDs of the untouched OT were letterboxed. It preserved the original aspect ratio, but was not encoded for a widescreen display. There are many DVDs out there like this, and some of big movies. True Lies and The Abyss have never had proper anamorphic releases in the US.

BUT there were full screen versions of Star Wars on DVD. I just pretend they do not exist.

LulaBrasi said:
So actually, that's not what he did at all :D he saw how perfect the laserdisc version was, then transfered it to dvd in the wrong aspect ratio just so he (lucas) could prove his point and show the world how ugly the old ones where...

So... Laserdisc edition > laserdisc rips > dvd theatrical..

What aspect ratio was the LD in, and what was the DVD in? Both were 2.35.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom