• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

Renpatsu

Do you mean that you just want to buy only the (original) boxes for games, or that you want to buy reproduction boxes? Both are available on ebay, but it can be hard to find original Box Only auctions/listings for the games you want. I see reproduction NES and SNES boxes all the time on ebay though, so I assume there are some GB repros as well.

Anyway, I think "box only" is the term you want. Unless I'm misunderstanding your post.
I originally tried looking for box only listings, but since this is more or less for storage and less for collecting purposes I thought that was a bit much. So instead what I'm looking for are something like this, but less DIY. I saw some cases some time ago that could fit GB/GBC/GBA and were all the size of a standard DS case so I was hoping for something like that and then printing out my own artwork like lostinblue has done previously in the thread.
Hit this link.
Here's a pseudo impression thread on the cases over at thecoverproject.
What I had in mind, much obliged.

I originally tried looking for box only listings, but since this is more or less for storage and less for collecting purposes I thought that was a bit much. So instead what I'm looking for are something like this, but less DIY. I saw some cases some time ago that could fit GB/GBC/GBA and were all the size of a standard DS case so I was hoping for something like that and then printing out my own artwork like lostinblue has done previously in the thread.

Hit this link.
Here's a pseudo impression thread on the cases over at thecoverproject.

Het_Nkik

Got these in the mail today:

fl0vm4z.jpg

Normally I'm of the "safer is better than sorry" mindset when it comes to packaging, but this is what I had to go through to get to G&WG2:

See the giant wad of tape? That was about a third of what was on the box. I gave up trying to get it off and just ripped through the side. Then there was more cardboard inside. Then bubble wrap. Then that black plastic which was held together by more tape.

EDIT: Also, I ran out of box protectors so I could only put G&WG1 in one.

ryuen

Someone suggested that I post this in this thread. Accepting PayPal payments. Will ship USPS priority.

BMeDMQx.jpg

CwVbOwP.jpg

$30 shipped each, $55 shipped for both.

putermcgee

I've been lazily looking to pick up a GBA, and I saw this in the display case today at my local used game shop. I don't know why it's a GBA and 50 non-GBA games, but I figured I'd take the chance on the random grab bag.

I didn't have high hopes for it, expecting mostly really bad games and a lot of duplicates. I thought it would be cool if Kirby's Tilt 'n Tumble and Mario's Picross were in there. The most surprising for me was that both Oracle Zelda titles were in there along with the two I hoped for, Kirby's Pinball, Pokemon Green, all of the Super Mario Land series, and no duplicates. The only game I wish was in there but wasn't is Super Robot Pinball.

Anyway, here's what I got:
The bag:
Dn4ifRX.jpg

Game Boy titles:
cPqjiup.jpg

Enhanced on Game Boy Color titles:
IZBtT27.jpg

Game Boy Color-only titles:
WAeU351.jpg

Everything:
QrVb9hi.jpg

The GBA. There's a gross scratch on the screen, but it plays perfectly:
2xXCX9J.jpg
And there are more pictures in the album here:
http://imgur.com/a/AY70Y

What do you think? Did I waste my money, or get lucky? I'm always kicking myself when I see something cool at a shop but don't buy it. Every time, when I go back, it's gone.

PsionBolt

What do you think? Did I waste my money, or get lucky? I'm always kicking myself when I see something cool at a shop but don't buy it. Every time, when I go back, it's gone.

That's a fantastic bunch of games! You got an excellent deal. Even just the Dragon Quest titles would be worth your money. Similarly so for just the Pokemon titles. All together, that's some amazing value and some very high-quality games.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
True, but Chrono Trigger DS allows to turn those off.

Sadly the intro is not the SNES one, but that's a minor nitpick against the fact that the game was ported with lots of taste.

Even the palette is properly compensated, I think it's the first time I actually liked the fact that they did it:

chrono05.jpg

Because I felt the game in recent years, being played on TV's sans-scanlines was definitely too bright and colorful against what I remembered it being.

As for FF6...

Source: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/765/

There are no color restoration patches for FF1&2, FFIV or FFV and they sorely deserved them.Well, you definitely should notice.

And the color restoration patch should be very mandatory still so it's a kind of a kill two rabbits with one stone kind of deal for FFVI.

There's actually a patch for FFVI that fixes the music as well. (While keeping the way better Opera section)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cZZZqGQsEg

Edit: Totally missed the previous posts, I am blind!

Do you guys know a good place to get face plates for the GBA micro? It looks like Rose Colored Gaming is going to do a new batch of proper face plates. The ones on eBay are either colors I'm not interested in or the look like they were badly spray painted. Any other places that I missed?

Grizzo

so I bought this game the other day

The game in itself is great. Graphics are nice, mini-games are really pleasant and varied, and the controls are super responsive.

But to my surprise, there are only 6 playable Nintendo characters : Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Waluigi and Bowser. No unlockable characters either (except for the unknown and generic ones you battle in RPG mode), and most of all, no Yoshi or Wario (not to mention Toad, Daisy or Diddy).

I think that's the first game I meet where Waluigi is playable but not Wario.

Camelot really messed up big time, what a disgrace

Het_Nkik

The game in itself is great. Graphics are nice, mini-games are really pleasant and varied, and the controls are super responsive.

But to my surprise, there are only 6 playable Nintendo characters : Mario, Luigi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Waluigi and Bowser. No unlockable characters either (except for the unknown and generic ones you battle in RPG mode), and most of all, no Yoshi or Wario (not to mention Toad, Daisy or Diddy).

I haven't played the the GBA versions of these games, but if they're anything like the GBC versions, they're not really... Mario games. They're more like... Golf (featuring Mario). The point of the games is to play as an unknown, build up your character skills, and then take on the representatives of the Mushroom Kingdom.

I think they were really nice complimentary games to their console counterparts that offered you a completely different experience rather than a watered-down handheld version.

Once again, though, I'm talking about the GBC versions. If the GBA versions don't work in that same way, someone feel free to correct me.

Mzo

The GBC Mario Tennis and Golf were fantastic little Camelot sports RPGs. I think I would've heard if the GBA games were anywhere near as good, but maybe?

Grizzo

Yes, I agree with you guys, truth is I owned both Mario Golf and Tennis on GBC when I was a kid and loved them to death. The GBA games are the same, mostly RPG games (sometimes it even feels like I'm playing Golden Sun because they use the same sound effects and icons), I was just complaining about the lack of content and unlockables.

In the GBC game you had special Nintendo courts, dedicated mini-games (only playable with some characters like Baby Mario or DK) and Yoshi and Wario were both there. I just don't know why the hell they got left off the GBA game :(

putermcgee

I think Mario Tennis on the GBA is easily my favorite tennis game. Sure, it would be cool to level up your own Luigi, but it's otherwise really fun. I never played the console versions, but I always assumed they were completely different.

Grizzo

I think Mario Tennis on the GBA is easily my favorite tennis game. Sure, it would be cool to level up your own Luigi, but it's otherwise really fun. I never played the console versions, but I always assumed they were completely different.

Make no mistake, I think the game is still really good! I'm just disappointed that I can't play Wario in an exhibition match and find it rather strange that they included Waluigi over him or Yoshi.

putermcgee

Make no mistake, I think the game is still really good! I'm just disappointed that I can't play Wario in an exhibition match and find it rather strange that they included Waluigi over him or Yoshi.
Weird, I was just watching something on Youtube where they were talking about the first appearances of Waluigi. It was either with the GCN or GBA Mario Tennis titles, so I'm guessing they really wanted to push his presence.

And come on, Wario is not cut out for tennis!

Het_Nkik

Weird, I was just watching something on Youtube where they were talking about the first appearances of Waluigi. It was either with the GCN or GBA Mario Tennis titles, so I'm guessing they really wanted to push his presence.

N64 Mario Tennis.

closer013

Anyone have any advice for getting Gameboy Advance covers from thecoverproject.net to print the proper size? When I print them they are a few cm away from the edge of the front and back sides. This greatly aggravates my OCD.

putermcgee

Strangely Kirby's Tilt and Tumble has the DMG compatible notch, but it's a Game Boy Color-only game. Was the shell mold also used for another game before it?
Perfect Dark is the same, but it's also GBC-only, I'm assuming it's also the same shell, maybe there's another game before that which was cross-compatible.
PD is like that because the rumble-cart shell is the same for dual-mode and GBC-only games. GB/GBC (black cart) dualmode rumble games like Pokemon Pinball use the same shell form as PD, just with different plastic. So it has a notch.

For Kirby Tilt n Tumble, though, yeah, that is a very odd one. As far as I know, Tilt n Tumble is the only game which uses that cart form, with the special shape for its motion sensor. It's also the only GB or GBC game I know of which uses an EEPROM chip for saving, instead of the usual battery-backed memory. So, why the notch? Who knows... maybe at some point they were thinking of a tilt game with GB compatibility, but it didn't happen and they already had the form down by then?
I was just looking over the stacks of GB/GBC games I got yesterday, and started wondering why Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble had the notch if it was GBC-only. Lo and behold, a quick Google search led me right to this thread on page 72.

The only explanations I can think of are that it was originally going to be GB compatible, or that there was another game, early on in the GBC-only launch window, that used at least the same back half of the casing.

However, they had already been gearing up for GBC-only titles by releasing the GB/GBC black carts that were the same shape as original GB titles. Why would they have even made a casing with that notch?

yGray

Banned
I am extremely interested in picking up the Boktai and Mega Man Zero games to own and play. The only other game I'd be mildly interested in would be Aria of Sorrow but that game isn't as great IMO.

I am extremely interested in picking up the Boktai and Mega Man Zero games to own and play. The only other game I'd be mildly interested in would be Aria of Sorrow but that game isn't as great IMO.

If you're budget conscious and own a DS or 3DS, all 4 Mega Man Zero games were compiled on a single DS cart called Mega Man Zero Collection. It is cheaper and easier to get that than to track down all four GBA releases separately.

TnK

Aria of Sorrw -> isn't great. Wut??

Also like 16 bit said, getting the Zero collection is a better option than buying all the games separately.

Grizzo

What? But his special shots are always so powerful!

And to be honest, I think Wario should be in everything, haha

leroidys

Pretty damn pleased with my book off pickups today.

(Sorry, don't see an option to rotate pics on imgur mobile)

The box isn't in the best shape, but it beats the hell out of paying through the nose for an ebay copy that has an 80% chance of being a knockoff.

Still can't find kurukurukururin anywhere though.

Renpatsu

Anyone have any advice for getting Gameboy Advance covers from thecoverproject.net to print the proper size? When I print them they are a few cm away from the edge of the front and back sides. This greatly aggravates my OCD.
Should be about 27.7cm give or take ~2mm from either side.
Open them up in a image editing program and make sure the printed dimensions are within that range. You might have to manually adjust some covers. When it comes to printing them make sure you don't resize to page. They will fit on a single A4 sheet.

Edit:
Pokemon Crystal is placeholder art from thecoverproject.com, Street Fighter Alpha 3 is remade using Shenske's Universal Nintendo handheld template.

lupinko

I'm kinda tempted to buy a good condition probably better still in box Rockman Battle Network 4 GBASP. It's a shade of blue iirc, it's selling for 7000y. Dunno if it's backlit and the DSLite is superior imo. But this gba so looks cool so w/e.

The box isn't in the best shape, but it beats the hell out of paying through the nose for an ebay copy that has an 80% chance of being a knockoff.

Mother 3, Nice!

Zalman

Find the case dimensions here.

Also, if you want to print out a ton of covers at the same time like I did, I highly recommend using Powerpoint. It allows you to set all the slides to the right dimensions and then simply copy/paste all the covers. That way you can print out everything at once. Remember to untick the "scale to fit paper" box if it isn't already as it will make the covers slightly bigger than they should be.

Peagles

There's knock off Mother 3s?

maxcriden

You get an okay price? If I remember correctly the Book Offs I've been to have always been totally overpriced, but maybe I'm thinking of a different store.

Top Bottom