• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eve Valkyrie will be launch title on Rift and Morpheus. Rift exclusive on PC (timed?)

update2: http://www.pcgamer.com/eve-valkyrie-is-exclusive-on-the-oculus-on-pc-at-the-moment/

update:

Past Broadcast Bookmark:

4:29:57 - 4:31:20

http://www.twitch.tv/m/821009

Audience Member said:
I think I should congratulate you guys for being late somehow on hardware that's not shipping yet, that's gotta take some skill (in reference to an earlier question/comment). On that note we know that the PC version an exclusive with the Oculus Rift and the console version, I don't know if it's been exclusive, but it's gonna be on Morpheus. One of those has a date and one doesn't, are you guys gonna ship the game as soon as the first one hits or are you going to try to wait to do a simultaneous release?"

CCP said:
"We will be a launch title on both platforms, that's the best way I can answer that question."

Audience Member said:
"And just to follow up on that, does the exclusivity agreement, however that works, is that going to potentially restrict the game from ever being seen on other headsets on either console or PC?"

CCP said:
"Right now the exclusivities are as you describe them, but we're not ruling out other platforms in the future."

The actual Oculus exclusivity may have been mentioned in the opening keynote (or just been discussed on the show floor somewhere), I'm not sure. But that's the money quote.

From the Eve Fanfest thead

Panel now confirms Valkyrie as a launch title on Rift and Morpheus. Exclusive on PC to Rift, but other VR platforms not ruled out, so maybe just a limited exclusivity.

it was already announced last year that Oculus would be publishing it on PC, making it an exclusive,

http://www.pcgamer.com/oculus-rifts-first-exclusive-launch-title-is-eve-valkyrie/
http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/19/ocu...valkyrie-extends-only-to-pc-version-says-ccp/

however back then something like the Vive wasn't announced. We'll see.

edit:

Let me find the actual quote from the stream (it was in reply to a question IIRC) before we all jump on a bandwagon. I may have misheard exactly what was said. I don't know how sure the developers were themselves. Will report back in a bit with something that's more concrete. The Valve VR stuff wasn't even announced when this started development, so it may just be a question on what they've been working with.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Def limited exclusivity if this is the case cause this shit makes no sense on PC. Vive support will definitely be coming.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Good to hear that some actual content will be coming to these things instead of just a tech demo sampler disc. More more more please

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Def limited exclusivity if this is the case cause this shit makes no sense on PC. Vive support will definitely be coming.

One would hope. Fragmentation for different headsets on PC is one of the things that doesn't help people go out and buy one.

Kinthalis

Banned
Oh god, I hope this exclusivity shit doesn't take over now on VR. Instead of competing on the best VR vehicle these companies are going to start buying up games and making them exclusive, like consoles do, fucking over gamers, who now have to buy more than one device to experience all the games they want to experience.

Crap. Leave this type of thinking at the console's doorstep, please!

Rosur

Probably gonna be getting this on Morpheus rather than PC (as will need a full new build for VR if I go PC route).

Hmm interesting. I wasn't very interested in VR at all. But maybe will get this for the game since it looks awesome! Will probably wait for reviews and stuff to pay for Morpheus and stuff though.

Compsiox

Banned
It is such a mindfuck to realize that buzzwords like "VR Exclusive" are going to be common verbiage in less than three years lol

Yea I wish there were a way to stop this. If people were to not buy Oculus CV1 because of it they would probably just snatch more games until we're forced to buy in.

Durante

Everyone relax. Durante has spoken.
Well, thinking about it some more I wouldn't relax too much yet. With current VR implementations, it wouldn't be too challenging IMHO to e.g. intercept Oculus API calls and map them to SteamVR, but the more deeply this stuff gets integrated at the (signed) driver level -- for good reasons like minimizing latency or providing asynchronous timewarp - the harder it could be. Still, I don't really see a way of preventing a compatibility layer being introduced by interception at the application level.

It would be much better if we didn't have to worry about this kind of crap though.

I had no idea we would see software exclusive to certain types of VR hardware on PC.

I really don't like the sound of that.

USC-fan

Banned
Probably gonna be getting this on Morpheus rather than PC (as will need a full new build for VR if I go PC route).

me too. but i still plan a new pc build but i rather get a gen2 vr kit for my PC. Im sure these kits will be updated and doubt the morpheus wont be updated until ps5.

Well, thinking about it some more I wouldn't relax too much yet. With current VR implementations, it wouldn't be too challenging IMHO to e.g. intercept Oculus API calls and map them to SteamVR, but the more deeply this stuff gets integrated at the (signed) driver level -- for good reasons like minimizing latency or providing asynchronous timewarp - the harder it could be. Still, I don't really see a way of preventing a compatibility layer being introduced by interception at the application level.

It would be much better if we didn't have to worry about this kind of crap though.
could be very hard. Seeing both Oculus and morpheus use about the same kind of tracking.. Valve kit uses something total different, it almost completely backwards to what the other kits are doing.

Nzyme32

I'd imagine Valve will stick by their mentality of not having forced exclusivity for titles (unless it's due to the game's design). Oculus on the other hand seems to be willing to stoop to that.

Yeah, I think I'm going to let PC VR shake itself out for a bit before jumping in.

Yeah I've come to the decision of waiting it out a while to see what happens in terms of games / capabilities. However I get the impression those things will be rapidly changing

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Fragmentation right out the gate on PC is a terrible look especially when trying to push a medium like VR. Shame on them if they are actively trying to secure PC VR hardware exclusivity and thinking short term gain right off the bat.

Let me find the actual quote from the stream (it was in reply to a question IIRC) before we all jump on a bandwagon. I may have misheard exactly what was said. I don't know how sure the developers were themselves. Will report back in a bit with something that's more concrete. The Valve VR stuff wasn't even announced when this started development, so it may just be a question on what they've been working with.

Let me find the actual quote from the stream (it was in reply to a question IIRC) before we all jump on a bandwagon. I may have misheard exactly what was said. I don't know how sure the developers were themselves. Will report back in a bit with something that's more concrete.

Is there an archive somewhere? Was looking for it, but couldn't find it.

Durante

could be very hard. Seeing both Oculus and morpheus use about the same kind of tracking.. Valve kit uses something total different, it almost completely backwards to what the other kits are doing.
How it is done in hardware is basically irrelevant for this purpose though. What's relevant is what data the software gets, which is pretty much just an orientation and a position in space.

elyetis

I also guess it will mean the game only being sold on the oculus market, and not on steam. :/

I really hoped Oculus wouldn't bring this kind of move into the pc and VR world. I have more and more doubt about Oculus ( as a company not a product.. if they ever decide to speak about cv1 ) as time go.

Past Broadcast Bookmark:

4:29:57 - 4:31:20

http://www.twitch.tv/m/821009

Audience Member said:
I think I should congratulate you guys for being late somehow on hardware that's not shipping yet, that's gotta take some skill (in reference to an earlier question/comment). On that note we know that the PC version an exclusive with the Oculus Rift and the console version, I don't know if it's been exclusive, but it's gonna be on Morpheus. One of those has a date and one doesn't, are you guys gonna ship the game as soon as the first one hits or are you going to try to wait to do a simultaneous release?"

CCP said:
"We will be a launch title on both platforms, that's the best way I can answer that question."

Audience Member said:
"And just to follow up on that, does the exclusivity agreement, however that works, is that going to potentially restrict the game from ever being seen on other headsets on either console or PC?"

CCP said:
"Right now the exclusivities are as you describe them, but we're not ruling out other platforms in the future."

The actual Oculus exclusivity may have been mentioned in the opening keynote (or just been discussed on the show floor somewhere), I'm not sure. But that's the money quote.

PC exclusive on Rift?

Isnt PC VR pretty much "Rift exclusive" anyway?

What other major competitors are out there?

The only one is that Valve deal and that is a long ways off.

Way to kill VR on PC. Exclusives (even timed) make no fucking sense. If the game comes ou on PC let me choose the VR hardware that I want.

Nafai1123

Banned
I'm sure someone will hack in Vive support within a week of release if it does turn out to be "exclusive."

Still a dumb idea though. The PC VR market needs to be open to all contenders.

PC exclusive on Rift?

Vive (Valves VR) is coming out this year. Oculus is probably next year at this point.

Crap like this is why I wont buy a VR headset.

Got to wait and hope they sort out this fragmentation and lack of standards. Its about as dumb as xbox and playstation needed different special TV's.

Durante

Got to wait and hope they sort out this fragmentation and lack of standards. Its about as dumb as buying your xbox and playstation needed different TV's.
Actually, it's about as dumb as the concept of xbox and playstation running different games. So pretty dumb :p

Qassim

PC exclusive on Rift?

Valve are showing they're more ready than Oculus at the moment (from a public perspective), with Valve announcing that their HMD will be available this year - the same can't be said for Oculus.

Man

Actually, it's about as dumb as the concept of xbox and playstation running different games. So pretty dumb :p
Actually, console-exclusives-wars is a pretty safe path for the hardware makers as it's a well defined market.
VR-PC exclusives-wars in contrast might actually slow down the growth & birth of a new market, harming everyone.

Momentary

Banned
Man this sounds about as dumb as having a piece of hardware that is a closed platform that has exclusives released on it.

Not really. You already have the PC to run the game you just need the display, which in this case would be the VR headset, so what he says makes sense. You need the console to play whatever games are available on it and then you need the display... which can be any TV as long as it has the needed connections. Exclusivity to the displays makes no sense.

EDIT: Btw, I too think that hardware bound software should eventually go away, but this here is a whole new level of stupid.

Durante

Not really. You already have the PC to run the game you just need the display, which in this case would be the VR headset, so what he says makes sense. You need the console to play whatever games are available on it and then you need the display... which can be any TV as long as it has the needed connections. Exclusivity to the displays makes no sense.
The reason different console platforms -- despite being functionally more or less interchangeable -- have exclusives is because the companies controlling them want to push them so as to profit more from licensing fees when stuff is sold within their ecosystem.

The reason different VR platforms -- despite being functionally more or less interchangeable -- will probably have exclusives is because the companies controlling them want to push them so as to profit more from licensing fees when stuff is sold within their ecosystem.

I don't like either of these much, but what can you do.
(Well, actually, it might not be impossible to do something about it with PC VR)

SerTapTap

Well this sounds terrible, hopefully it's timed but a very bad precedent. If I need a spreadsheet to know which games I can play with my headset I think I'll be holding off for a bit.

Despera

Banned
The first full budget VR-dedicated game, and we're already talking about platform exclusivity...

this saddens me

The reason different console platforms -- despite being functionally more or less interchangeable -- have exclusives is because the companies controlling them want to push them so as to profit more from licensing fees when stuff is sold within their ecosystem.

The reason different VR platforms -- despite being functionally more or less interchangeable -- will probably have exclusives is because the companies controlling them want to push them so as to profit more from licensing fees when stuff is sold within their ecosystem.

I don't like either of these much, but what can you do.
(Well, actually, it might not be impossible to do something about it with PC VR)

Sure, it all ends up there unfortunately, even worse when it's a 3rd party exclusive, but like you said, what can a guy do. Still, consoles have been around forever, VR is just getting started and I'd very much like for it to have a decent start, I don't see how starting with these exclusive deals will help VR too much, tbh. People will be reluctant to jump in.

Tagyhag

If this is how Oculus is going to play, then I won't be buying their headset.

They would be deliberately hurting the medium from expanding, and restricting access on the most open platform. It's not a good look.

Brofist

I think the inevitable backlash will make sure this doesn't become a trend. It may fly in the console world, but I don't think PC gamers will back this.

I figured this would happen with Oculus.

I'm not sure they really have a choice, tbh. They're going to need to cling to their differentiators. Hopefully they don't compound the problem for us by going on a spending spree to buy themselves exclusive support. That's what I'd do if I were them.

The battle against Steam, specifically, is going to be rough sledding.

Top Bottom