• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alien Isolation (PC)

nkarafo

Holy shit, this game.

I had this in my backlog waiting to finally buy a new graphics card and all i can say is that even if i only had this game to play it would worth the price alone. 25 years in gaming and i don't remember playing anything like this before. Well, maybe Penumbra comes close but this is like the best/scariest parts of Penumbra multiplied 100 times in a next-gen game that looks amazing also (playing on Ultra, at 1080p and constant 60fps).

Right now, i have no idea how far i am, i must have played at least 10 hours of it but i'm taking it slow. And i mean slooowww. Sometimes i find myself hiding in the same room for too long, just because that room feels safe and cozy. Just hiding under a desk in a safe looking corner while hearing the Alien searching for me from afar, doing all kinds of noises is enough for me. And i think this has to be the first game that managed to actually make me feel scared. And frankly, i never found any "horror" game scary ,ever. Except maybe Silent Hill 2 and 3.

I cannot believe how there are some very bad reviews about it. The game is not for everyone, that's for sure, but that's not a reason to give it bad reviews because for the rest it should be as good as it gets. I also think that its unfair to call it a "survival horror" and call it a day because its nothing like most survival horror games. Or maybe all these games weren't really survival horror to begin with, so there's that.

I'm not sure if this counts as an AAA game, it definitely looks like one (production values look expensive), but it doesn't feel like one. Meaning that most AAA games try to keep larger groups of gamers happy, aka, more mainstream. This game is like a complete opposite of that, almost like Dark Souls before it. And more. And that's exactly what i'm looking for.

Oh, and IMO, Creative Assembly takes the "nobody expected such a masterpiece from them" crown from Retro Studios and their original Metroid Prime. Kudos.

I am currently playing it on PC as well (120hz glory) and am really enjoying it. If they made a sequel or a game in the same universe, I would have it be more free form, less mission based, and maintain the hubworld but without loading.

It has a lot in it which I find rather compelling. It also makes me nervouse, like a souls game.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Now I just want the opportunity to say that I hope they are hard at work on the sequel.

nkarafo

I now wonder if there are other games out there, that i don't know of, that do this whole "cat and mouse" thing so successfully...

Salsa

yup

I played it through completion a week or 2 ago

it was fantastic. could have ended a lil bit sooner, but I never grew tired of it.

Also every sound in this game is near pitch perfect.

the station power core zinging sounds are fucking terrifying

The game isn't that old. People start making lttp threads the day after the OT does to community.

That said, game is great. You probably shouldn't be hiding that long. The Alien will catch onto your position eventually. What you wanna do is plan out an optimal path and take it. Outside of some slight variations the Alien will generally do the same thing between reloads. Enjoy breh, I think it was my number 2 last year behind Bayo

nkarafo

You probably shouldn't be hiding that long. The Alien will catch onto your position eventually.
I know, i know, i just like hiding from it. Love the feeling of something hostile searching for me while i'm hiding. Also, hide and seek was my favorite game when i was a kid, maybe this has something to do with it :p

sfried

I feel headphone support for this game is rather...off?

Dunno how to describe it other than "flat" atm. Even Elite: Dangerous and other games have excellent binural sound mixing, whereas with Alien Isolation, the sound simply grows weaker or stronger, with almost a very 2D approach with regards to direction (no way to tell sound coming from behind for instance).

SRTtoZ

One of the best games I've ever played in that genre. Hopefully I get to give it another go after Bloodborne.

Cartoons

Banned
Most of my game time was spent hiding under a table for about 10 minutes till I KNEW the Alien was gone...

Didn't expect it to be, but really was/is a brilliant game.

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Game is absolutely incredible. Played the campaign 3 times and even got all the achievements. And it's still terrifying, the
Reactor Core in Ch. 14
is the scariest section of any game I've ever played.

I easily rank it as the best game I've played this gen so far and hope we see more from Creative Assembly.

Try to use flares and noisemakers to distract the Alien.
And pay attention to the sound when the Alien goes to the vents. That gives you a few seconds to move freely.

My favourite game of this gen so far :)

Helznicht

Been playing for a few days, great so far. Graphically the aliasing was getting to me, and after some research found out the in game AA doesnt really work too well and overriding with nvidia driver settings doesnt work either. But, if you guys have a 970 or 980, do yourself a favor and set up super sampling in the drivers (Dynamic Super Resolution). I did that (x3 res) with the in game AA, turned on Vsync and the game is so smooth and cinematic its like playing a movie. even the choppy cut-scenes are now smooth as butter.

conman

Just picked this up on that crazy Humble sale last week. Been playing over the past few days. About ten hours in, and I'm also taking it very slow. Can't believe it took me this long to play it. Amazing stuff. And right in my wheelhouse (stealth, sci-fi, high concept).

It's like a perfect blend of Bioshock, The Last of Us, and Splinter Cell.

nkarafo

Just picked this up on that crazy Humble sale last week. Been playing over the past few days. About ten hours in, and I'm also taking it very slow. Can't believe it took me this long to play it. Amazing stuff. And right in my wheelhouse (stealth, sci-fi, high concept).

It's like a perfect blend of Bioshock, The Last of Us, and Splinter Cell.
For me is more like Bioshock, Penumbra and Dead Space.

I played The Evil Within and then Alien Isolation. Amazing combination.

That is an amazing combination....and a lot of dying.

I actually did the same thing (although there was a month and a half gap between them) and then played Hotline Miami 2 after that...and my next game is going to be Bloodborne. I'm a glutton for punishment.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i was LTTP in feb, should've made a thread!
best thing to happen to the alien franchise in decades.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Love this game. I'm glad you picked it up, OP. It truly is a gem and I don't see how this game can be considered bad even if someone should not like it. The game screams quality.

This was the second game I played following my purchase of a PS4 (the first was The Last of Us). Following my completion of this game I picked up The Evil Within and beat that as well. These three games together have validated my PS4 purchase more than I ever expected them to, with most of the credit going to Alien Isolation.

I hope this game sold enough or is selling enough to warrant a sequel. It would be a fucking tragedy to see this IP go down the drain only for some other developer to pick it up, start from scratch, and possibly put out another Aliens: Colonial Marines. *shivers*

Edit: That IGN review is embarrassing. If people are refusing to play this game because Alien Isolation got a fucking 59/100 from IGN, then I truly feel sorry for them. I read that review, and it can blow me. Its concluding paragraph:
Alien: Isolation seemed like the perfect Alien game on paper, and for the first handful of hours it even seems to deliver on its promise on the strength of its outstanding art and sound that faithfully recreates the ambiance of the classic horror film. Instead, what was the Great Xenomorphic Hope ends in another disappointment for a license loaded with interactive-entertainment potential. It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.

It may seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.

Seems to me that the reviewer couldn't adapt to the game and learn how to not suck.

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm going through it slow on the PS4. I'm a wuss and playing it on easy and still find it tense. The art direction/design is amazing.

I think I'm somewhere around chapter 14/15. Once I get back from my work travels I want to finish it off.

FLD

I've been pretty busy with school lately but I'm also currently playing this, playing an hour or two every night if I can. I am loving the game so goddamn much!

Especially after recently playing REmake HD and The Evil Within, I was a little bummed out that maybe horror games just weren't as effective on my anymore. But I get so nervous playing Isolation, it's amazing.

I hear it's pretty long, so even though I've been working on it for over a week (a little under 10 hours in), I don't think I'm quite halfway through yet. Admittedly, it probably doesn't help that I refuse to play it during the day. But yeah, I really wish I had more time to dedicate to it. :(

Mifec

Great game with amazing optimization, bought at full price to support the devs. Sadly they didn't sell that many copies right?

I hear it's pretty long,

That's probably the only fault of the game if you can believe it. It drags on way too long.

Watevaman

Got this in the winter sale and have put a little time into it since then. I have a very hard time getting over my fears when it comes to games like this and Amnesia, where you're essentially defenseless, so I only have about 5 hours in the game right now. With that said, I love almost every aspect of this game, from the setting to the tiny details in the sound. The only problem I had so far was (early game, Chap 3 or 4 spoilers)
I had to go through the first real human encounter, where they're in the elevator room, at least 6 times because no matter how I observed their patterns, they could somehow see me going up a pitch black staircase
. I have a feeling that I'll be playing even slower now that the Xenomorph is a factor, but maybe once I get going I'll enjoy myself enough to overcome the fear.

Oh, and this is actually one of the only first person games I enjoy more with the 360 controller. The incremental leaning alone makes it worth it, and the lack of hectic combat (so far in my limited playtime) means I don't have to worry about inaccuracy.

nkarafo

Wow that IGN review is ridiculous. It's like the reviewer totally missed the whole point of the game. I guess a more mainstream, COD like game with soldiers killing Aliens would probably get a much better score in that site.

I'm so happy that i stopped caring about reviews a long time ago. So many gems i would have missed.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I love all these LTTP threads for Alien, shows how people are gradually finding this amazing game.

That IGN review did some serious damage to this game's rep, and it really didn't deserve it.

I can't get past the first part of this game. The stealth sections are awful against the humans and the map design seems poor and unintuitive. Hopefully things change. I've yet to have the alien stalk me yet.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can't get past the first part of this game. The stealth sections are awful against the humans and the map design seems poor and unintuitive. Hopefully things change. I've yet to have the alien stalk me yet.

This is a VERY common problem, and a lot of people have difficulty with this part. I can tell you it is not representative of the rest of the game in any way. The best advice I can give, for this section and the rest of the game, is to make use of your items.

After you pick up the hacking tool, immediately turn around and head up the right hand stairs. When upstairs walk towards the control room at the end of the room, about halfway there throw a flair somewhere downstairs and wait till they all get attracted to it. Proceed through the control room and through the door

nkarafo

So, how well did this game sell anyway? I mean for Creative Assembly standards. I'm sure they won't mind if it sells less than CoD or GTA. In the same way From was happy with Dark Souls sales even though it sold much less than Tomb Raider (which was considered a terrible sale for Square standards).

All i want to know is that Creative Assembly are happy with the sales, not just the number.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im not gonna lie, I get the warm and fuzzies inside every time I see someone discovering this game. I hope people keep making LTTP threads for this.

Elandyll

Banned
Got the game last week thanks to the GMG promo, and it is imo indeed a great game.

Only pet peeve so far is that the Alien is used far too much to visit you, even on easy setting (which I felt I had to downgrade to, spending far too much playtime in lockers and under tables).
Transformed the dread and stress I felt at first to sheer annoyance.

With more parsimonious AI (and less bloat on backtracking and constant setbacks with weird objectives), the game could have been imo a masterpiece (and it already is to me both a great game and the best Alien game ever made).

Mifec

So, how well did this game sell anyway? I mean for Creative Assembly standards. I'm sure they won't mind if it sells less than CoD or GTA. In the same way From was happy with Dark Souls sales even though it sold much less than Tomb Raider (which was considered a terrible sale for Square standards).

All i want to know is that Creative Assembly are happy with the sales, not just the number.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=976523
Last info we had, way too low for such a great game.

This is a VERY common problem, and a lot of people have difficulty with this part. I can tell you it is not representative of the rest of the game in any way. The best advice I can give, for this section and the rest of the game, is to make use of your items.

After you pick up the hacking tool, immediately turn around and head up the right hand stairs. When upstairs walk towards the control room at the end of the room, about halfway there throw a flair somewhere downstairs and wait till they all get attracted to it. Proceed through the control room and through the door

I got stuck in that lobby for a long time. Died so many times. I actually stopped playing the game for a while partly because of it.

Then just last night, I went back in and managed to clear that area at the first attempt. After picking up the tool, I turned around, ran up the stairs on the right, and hid in the vent for what felt like forever (not such a good idea since you can't see much from inside there).

I eventually jumped out and went over to the left side where a guy came and spotted me but I managed to club him several times before he could attack....and then I just ran for the door in the far end to the left. I got shot but I made it.

I then encountered Mr. Xenomorph for the first time and promptly saved my game and exited.

Oh, I also found this, which I hear is a pretty common thing to see?

49634CB5B91496436498230123D8760311AAEF4A

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Top Bottom