• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's Wii programmable shader "Recirculating Shader"

Akia

No one every checks the date on these Nintendo patents. It's like mining for gold and not checking if its real before you announce it to the world.

gofreak said:
..? Sounds like it's GC-related.

Isn't that what Wii is. There isn't a Recirculating Shader comment by anyone from Factor5 or anyother developer who has developed for the GC. Its not even mentioned in Gamasutra's article on the uses of GC TEV.

Akia said:
No one every checks the date on these Nintendo patents. It's like mining for gold and not checking if its real before you announce it to the world.

I checked and saw that it said Nov 28 2000, the patent date is April 25, 2006. Its been updated obviously. Its easy to dismiss it when you just go off that date. In a recent interview Iwata mentioned you could find clues in patents, you just have to know how to look. Now it seems the patent has been granted.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Avutta1978 said:
if its on the cube then its on thew Wii, which means it is valid and the Wii has goodamn Shaders take that Matt.

Do all Nintendo fans have some desire to stick it to Matt? :lol

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Do all Nintendo fans have some desire to stick it to Matt? :lol
No, but the guy calls himself a graphics whore, yet does not know the capabilites of the hardware he reports on and i am referring to the cube.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Planet GameCube: In a recent IGNinsider article, Greg Buchner revealed that Flipper can do some unique things because of the ways that the different texture layers can interact. Can you elaborate on this feature? Have you used it? Do you know if the effects it allows are reproducible on other architectures (at decent framerates)?

Julian Eggebrecht: He was probably referring to the TEV pipeline. Imagine it like an elaborate switchboard that makes the wildest combinations of textures and materials possible. The TEV pipeline combines up to 8 textures in up to 16 stages in one go. Each stage can apply a multitude of functions to the texture - obvious examples of what you do with the TEV stages would be bump-mapping or cel-shading. The TEV pipeline is completely under programmer control, so the more time you spend on writing elaborate shaders for it, the more effects you can achieve. We just used the obvious effects in Rogue Leader with the targeting computer and the volumetric fog variations being the most unusual usage of TEV. In a second generation game we’ll obviously focus on more complicated applications.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=1906

A hardware-accelerated recirculating programmable texture blender/shader arrangement circulates computed color and alpha data over multiple texture blending/shading cycles (stages) to provide multi-texturing and other effects. Up to sixteen independently programmable consecutive stages, forming a chain of blending operations, are supported for applying multiple textures to a single object in a single rendering pass.

Now tell me this is not the TEV !

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OG_Original Gamer said:
I stand corrected. The thing for me, is, the images from patent previously didn't mention the Recirculating Shader. It was always just shown as the TEV, in patent images. I guess this way Nintendo helps developers acknowledge its exsistance.

So is it just the GC TEV (and I guess by extension the wii TEV) or is it something new? I'm confused.

Gigglepoo

Avutta1978 said:
No, but the guy calls himself a graphics whore, yet does not know the capabilites of the hardware he reports on and i am referring to the cube.

If he were only a better dancer he'd be perfect.

Yes, he should know just about everything there is to about the Wii since he runs the IGN Channel, but he does know most of it. There has never been an interview where they specifically mention these Shaders and going off of unconfirmed patents is a risky business. I honestly don't understand the hatred towards Matt. He's a real Nintendo fanboy but I can still respect because he doesn't fawn over ever game out there. He still loves the other sytems. Who cares if he didn't know about an unannounced feature of a system that isn't coming out for 6 months?

Gigglepoo said:
If he were only a better dancer he'd be perfect.

Yes, he should know just about everything there is to about the Wii since he runs the IGN Channel, but he does know most of it. There has never been an interview where they specifically mention these Shaders and going off of unconfirmed patents is a risky business. I honestly don't understand the hatred towards Matt. He's a real Nintendo fanboy but I can still respect because he doesn't fawn over ever game out there. He still loves the other sytems. Who cares if he didn't know about an unannounced feature of a system that isn't coming out for 6 months?
i hate is admit nature espically on the shader aspect that wii has no shaders when cube does and also if wii is extension of cube then it automaticlaly has shaders, its down rigth self contradictry

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Avutta1978 said:
i hate is admit nature espically on the shader aspect that wii has no shaders when cube does and also if wii is extension of cube then it automaticlaly has shaders, its down rigth self contradictry

And in English?

Top Bottom