• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

MQX

Is the Taken King system a 1200 model in Europe as well? That's a really strange dent also.

Sony hasn't confirmed it(at least, that's what I know :/). But there is a chance that the Destiny PS4 model will be the 1200 model like the MGSV LE PS4 model :/.

Wow where can I get those rubber feet in black? Elevating the PS4 for some more airflow makes a lot of sense.

Those feets are called "Sencys Stootbuffertjes 20 x 20 mm/Patins antichocs et amortisseurs 20 x 20 mm" :p.

But I have a feeling that those feets aren't available online :/(I tried to find them on Amazon, even for an alternative brand. But I couldn't find anything :/).

I don't know if gaffers with the 1200 model are also affected, but I've read on another forum that some white 1200 models have a little dent on the front :/.

A few examples what I'm trying to say:

Most of the conversation(on the other forum) are about the white 1200 models. So I don't know if the other models are also affected by this issue :/.

What I've also read, is that one member didn't saw the little dent. But when he felt on the front of his ps4, he felt a little dent. His PS4 was also a white 1200 model.

I want to ask the gaffers who bought a (white) 1200 model if they are also affected by this issue :/. Because on that other forum, they think this is some kind of manufacturing defect that has affected some(or most) of the (white) 1200 models.

I...can't see the dent. Must be this monitor I'm using right now.

Chronos24

I don't know if gaffers with the 1200 model are also affected, but I've read on another forum that some white 1200 models have a little dent on the front :/.

A few examples what I'm trying to say:

Most of the conversation(on the other forum) are about the white 1200 models. So I don't know if the other models are also affected by this issue :/.

What I've also read, is that one member didn't saw the little dent. But when he felt on the front of his ps4, he felt a little dent. His PS4 was also a white 1200 model.

I want to ask the gaffers who bought a (white) 1200 model if they are also affected by this issue :/. Because on that other forum, they think this is some kind of manufacturing defect that has affected some(or most) of the (white) 1200 models.

Are you freaking kidding me?! I've got the Destiny bundle preordered and it releases in NA 9/15. It will be the 1200 model yes, but seriously wtf how does a dent like that get past Quality Control?!!

DonMigs85

Looks like a minor moulding issue. My guess is the iron cast might have some contamination or something stuck in that spot and the factory people didn't bother checking.

I received my PS4 model CUH-1216a today this is my first PS4 so I don't know how loud original PS4 is however I'm happy with this unit its quieter then my PS3, plus I really like the size it's smaller then my PS3 slim.

I want a new model, because my launch PS4 is getting kind of loud and runs decently hot, at least when the disc drive is in use. But I can't justify the purchase, and plan to wait until there's a revision.

I have the black 1216a and mine has such a dent as well. Thought it was just mine, lol.

De_Marco

I am about to sell my release PS4 and have already ordered the Star Wars bundle. Hopefully the 1TB model in Europe will upgrade to CUH-1200 aswell.
Don´t understand that move from Sony. :/

DonMigs85

I want a new model, because my launch PS4 is getting kind of loud and runs decently hot, at least when the disc drive is in use. But I can't justify the purchase, and plan to wait until there's a revision.

Yeah, wait until they actually graduate to a smaller node like 16nm or something.

DonMigs85

Do the new models run cooler? Mine does make a noise in certain games and gets hot.

Not really, in fact a number of units actually run hotter or louder than the previous model. Best to wait for a real revision or new process node, this is more of a cost-cutting move.

Wow where can I get those rubber feet in black? Elevating the PS4 for some more airflow makes a lot of sense.

Those feets are called "Sencys Stootbuffertjes 20 x 20 mm/Patins antichocs et amortisseurs 20 x 20 mm" :p.

But I have a feeling that those feets aren't available online :/(I tried to find them on Amazon, even for an alternative brand. But I couldn't find anything :/).
These are roughly the same size. I've never used them, but 3M make pretty decent adhesives. /shrug

De_Marco

amazon.de

It seems to be available, because they are still taking pre orders, maybe because of the rather steep price of 499€ for the "old" model.

That white model looks SO good. I don't understand why the 1200 is still not available in the U.S. though; surely SCEA knows that MGSV is going to push a lot of people to buy the PS4? Are they hoping to just clear out most existing stock before releasing here? This is really really frustrating.

Archon473

That white model looks SO good. I don't understand why the 1200 is still not available in the U.S. though; surely SCEA knows that MGSV is going to push a lot of people to buy the PS4? Are they hoping to just clear out most existing stock before releasing here? This is really really frustrating.

The 1200 series is available in the US. From the Overview console description:
Includes a PlayStation 4 CUH-1215A console, DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller, The Last of Us Remastered digital game voucher, a mono headset and HDMI, USB and power cables.

Chronos24

Not without paying for a bundle, as I've mentioned before. The standalone 1200 is still not available here. I would just order the white Japanese model if Blu-Ray and DVD weren't region-locked.

It's the same price as a standalone why not get a bundle? You're saying no to a free game

Was hoping for more.. aggressive changes. No problems with what I see above though.

ps4 launched with a 28nm soc
14-16nm chips aren't out till early next year.

Kind of makes me wonder why they bothered, I guess they're going to use even cheaper materials or something to save costs.

leng jai

The MGS console looks pretty good, especially the shade of red they chose. Can't see if it has the dent issue the whites ones do though.

Elios83

ps4 launched with a 28nm soc
14-16nm chips aren't out till early next year.

Kind of makes me wonder why they bothered, I guess they're going to use even cheaper materials or something to save costs.

1200 system costs much less to make than the launch model.
Half the GDDR5 chips (from 16 to 8 with double the capacity), smaller heatsink, cheaper power supply, smaller motherboard, cheaper materials (no glossy refined plastic, no touch buttons,etc).
It has definetly improved their margins with the possibility to pass the savings to consumers when needed which is a good thing.
Of course when they are in the position to mass manufacture the main soc at a sub 20nm process they will be able to fully redesign the system and that's when we'll see a PS4 Slim (probably late next year).

It's the same price as a standalone why not get a bundle? You're saying no to a free game

My bad, I wasn't aware they were subsidizing the cost of the game on those bundles.

Do the decals on PS4 limited editions like the forthcoming Destiny: Taken King bundle peel off easily? Was thinking I could grab the Destiny bundle, peel off the decal, and have myself a NA Glacier White system.

ced

Picked up a new one last week to replace my dead original.

The thing is even more unstable in horizontal mode, ridiculous they didn't fix that.

It's incredibly quiet compared to my other so far.

mabec

Picked up a new one last week to replace my dead original.

The thing is even more unstable in horizontal mode, ridiculous they didn't fix that.

It's incredibly quiet compared to my other so far.

You talking about VSYNC? (not a previous Ps4 owner so i have no idea)

jbueno

At this point I just want a regular PS4 unit with MGSV included to be available in NA, kind of like that 80 GB PS3 back when MGS4 Launched.

Maybe cheaper to manufacture since it's the same material as the rest of the console?

I honestly want to swap my glossy HDD cover with a matte one. Can you buy the matte ones anywhere?
You can get matte clear unofficial ones. Maybe Japan will start selling special edition ones like they did with the glossy kind.

I'm kind of on the fence on the 1200 now. A bit worried that the higher heat levels people are reporting might result in a shorter lifespan. I'd rather have a noisier fan than that. Are people with high heat putting their PS4s in enclosed spaces?

Roronoa

Banned
so what is the consensus on the newer model?

I am asking because I can buy a cheaper PS4 (400$ CAD) now but an older model, or wait for the Darth Vader PS4 (newer model) for possibly 450-500$ CAD.

Top Bottom