• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 model (CUH-1200) announced

So like the rest, if you've had a chance to test it out how is the noise level on the console?

I haven't launched anything yet, I'm reinstalling games and downloading updates right now.

But I can tell it's going to be a lot quieter than my previous unit which was already noisy in idle. It's just got that soft "whoosh" sound if you put your ear very close to the unit.

So far so good.

Chronos24

I haven't launched anything yet, I'm reinstalling games and downloading updates right now.

But I can tell it's going to be a lot quieter than my previous unit which was already noisy in idle. It's just got that soft "whoosh" sound if you put your ear very close to the unit.

So far so good.

That's exactly what I want to hear! I've put a lot of messages in this thread probably annoyingly to others but I'm invested in finally having a quiet ps4. I only experienced one model have that soft whoosh sound instead of the higher pitched whir that most make. Would still have that model if the power supply inside didn't go crazy. Can't express my anger/disappointment after exchanging it to only be back with yet another loud console (which by the way didn't start that way it had the whir but was tolerable until recently). The loudness really ruined my TLOU and Bloodborne experience. Oddly enough ESO has been very consistently silent... So that's a positive

Theonik

The US would never see that happening. Why do you guys have such a price disparity?
It's a one-off deal don't read much into it, but with this model, production costs should allow Sony to sell it for 299 by the end of the year. As for price disparity, it's actually even greater since that includes tax. With the old exchange rate the PS4 was much more expensive over there since the Euro was much stronger.

Really annoying that the 1200 is only being sold in NA with bundles. I have no desire for those. Just give me the damn base model Sony. They're cutting it way too close with the launch of MGSV approaching fast. I'd just buy an old model but it sounds like the noise levels are improved enough to wait.

Really annoying that the 1200 is only being sold in NA with bundles. I have no desire for those. Just give me the damn base model Sony. They're cutting it way too close with the launch of MGSV approaching fast. I'd just buy an old model but it sounds like the noise levels are improved enough to wait.

It's not really a bundle, just has TLOU:R code inside.
Other than that it is the base model.

DCS

Banned
I'm in the UK, what is the cheapest place to get one of these models at the moment? Don't find using a foreign Amazon if it saves some money.

So I've been playing around with my 1216A over the weekend, and I'm glad to report that my unit is very quiet. It's my first PS4, but I've got an Xbone and a Wii U for comparison. My PS4 is quieter than both of them. Late at night, when it's dead silent around me, I can hear the thing from 2m away, but not like it's annoying or anything. During the day, no matter if I'm ingame or idling on the OS menu, I simply cannot hear it. Too quiet.

The casing seems a bit cheap (wobbly plastic) and it certainly gets hotter than my Xbone, but those a non issues to me right now. I encountered a wierd "beep" sound while playing Bloodborne today though. Just happened once, wasn't very loud and only like 1-2 seconds long. I hope I don't have to deal with a possessed unit since I'm totally happy with everything else so far.

Chronos24

Since the new model has been out a bit now and even showing up in the U.S. I'm surprised there haven't been any vids on actual noise of the console outside of OCD guy. You'll find countless ones of loud ps4's all over the place. If anyone else here feels generous and would like to get a vid of the new model running it would probably help me and I'm sure others on this thread.

Also on a totally unrelated note how in the hell do you become a member on neogaf?? Been a junior since 2012 and nothing

TNH853

i got my cuh 1216a model. it´s quieter than my day 1 ps4. but after 20min of gameplay the new console gets very hot. has anyone the same problem?

TNH853

Post a pic of how it's set up?

img.php

Wil348

You might want to raise the console up slightly using, say, a few small blocks (or the rubber feet that someone linked earlier on in the thread), to allow the heat on the bottom of the console to circulate. Also, it might be worth moving your console forward a bit. I had a similar problem with the original model and these fixed it.

TNH853

The wall is probably blowing the hot air back at the console tbh.

ok thanks. my old ps4 has never been this hot. when i put my hand on the top of the new one it feels like 60+ celsius (not exactly sure how mutch it actually is).

You might want to raise the console up slightly using, say, a few small blocks (or the rubber feet that someone linked earlier on in the thread), to allow the heat on the bottom of the console to circulate. Also, it might be worth moving your console forward a bit. I had a similar problem with the original model and these fixed it.

i will find a better place for the new model. thanks guys.

Chronos24

ok thanks. my old ps4 has never been this hot. when i put my hand on the top of the new one it feels like 60+ celsius (not exactly sure how mutch it actually is).

i will find a better place for the new model. thanks guys.

Even though it felt hot like it did, hows the noise level on the console? Any way to get a video of it? If not that's fine.

That`s what I call irony:
I already had two PS4 consoles (old revisions) which were pretty loud in some games so I exchanged them and got new ones which were also loud so I gave them back
and decided to wait until a quieter one is released.

Today I got the 1200-version and guess what: it`s quieter than the older version but it makes a contant BEEEEEEEEEEP noise which is even worse than some of those cheap Xbox 360 power bricks.
Now I can`t exchange the console at Media Markt because they already sold all their 1200-PS4`s during their Playstation Anniversary sale. Just great.

TNH853

Even though it felt hot like it did, hows the noise level on the console? Any way to get a video of it? If not that's fine.

the noise level is better. i played rocket league for about 20min and the cuh 1200 model was about 15-20 db quieter. tomorrow i will try to make a video.

rrrnzr

Neo Member
the noise level for me is godlike. had two playstations before and they were all loud as hell.
i made a little (and very trashy) video to compare the two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adHm00MS5_I

i did forget to normalize the audio, so dont forget to turn back the volume after you've watched the video :)

edit: i used defense grid 2 as test game because it was a game that went nuts instantly after playing it on my old (and my friends) ps4 cuh-1004a.

knerl

the noise level for me is godlike. had two playstations before and they were all loud as hell.

i did forget to normalize the audio, so dont forget to turn back the volume after you've watched the video :)

edit: i used defense grid 2 as test game because it was a game that went nuts instantly after playing it on my old (and my friends) ps4 cuh-1004a.

AAAAWWW YEAH! The difference is like night and day judging by your video.
Can't get one soon enough.

TNH853

how is the temperature of the cuh-1216a?
my cuh-1216a is a lot hotter than the old cuh-1004a.

Chronos24

So what was that sort of buzzing noise in the 1216 part was that the machine because I actually couldn't really hear the fan at all?

rrrnzr

Neo Member
So what was that sort of buzzing noise in the 1216 part was that the machine because I actually couldn't really hear the fan at all?

i'm not exactly sure what it is, but it definitely from the ps4. it sounds a bit misleading in the video because it appears quite loud, but its only audibe in a very close range (at least to my 30+ year old ears ;)). i guess thats due to the condenser microphone i used, which is quite sensitive. also, the ps4 and it's fans are still audible, so its not completely silent.

about the temperature: its hotter than my old revision, but its not on a burn level. my gs60 gaming laptop can top the heat easily (and easily burn if you dont take care), which is also considered a safe temperature. so i'm still very happy with the new machine and can finally complete defense grid 2 ;)

ron_bato

Apparently someone asked Sony if the MGSV LE was the OG series or the new one, and they confirmed that it's going to be the OG.

http://twitter.com/PlayStationFR/status/624146027071832064

I wonder if the 1200's are only going to be used in the japanese units.

It could be different for each region (like the god of War 3 bundle released in the Philippines still has the 1100 series, whereas someone in the thread posted that their GOW3 bundle is the new 1200 model). In southeast Asia they have not released the CUH 1200 ps4s yet (at least in the Philippines).

But PlayStation Asia has confirmed that both the mgs v and the destiny ttk ps4s will be CUH 1200.

Intel_89

Maaaaaaaaan, I really wanted to get a 1200 one right now but I'm trying to hold myself from doing so because of the MGS5 edition, which apparently is the old model in France (probably the same will apply to the rest of Europe). Dunno what to do. :(

Zemm

That video above makes me glad I got the 1200 one, I literally can't hear my PS4 (about 10ft away) apart from the initial spin of the disk drive when booting a game, which only lasts 10 secs. The MGS5 limited edition isn't worth that sound difference.

Intel_89

That video above makes me glad I got the 1200 one, I literally can't hear my PS4 (about 10ft away) apart from the initial spin of the disk drive when booting a game, which only lasts 10 secs. The MGS5 limited edition isn't worth that sound difference.

The thing that'll kill me is if I end up picking up a regular 1200 now and the MGS one ends up being 1200 as well. I'm set on getting the 1200 regardless, it'd just be ideal to have both things.

TNH853

i just changed the place and put some rubber feet under it, did not help very mutch. after 10-20 min of rocket league gameplay, the cuh 1216a gets very hot again. i just wonder if this is normal for the new model? rrrnzr seems to have the same heat issue. cuh-1004a was loud but not nearly this hot.

knerl

i just changed the place and put some rubber feet under it, did not help very mutch. after 10-20 min of rocket league gameplay, the cuh 1216a gets very hot again. i just wonder if this is normal for the new model? rrrnzr seems to have the same heat issue. cuh-1004a was loud but not nearly this hot.

So the new one is quiet, but instead very hot? Another user here wrote that it wasn't nearly as hot as his/her gaming laptop so it can't be that bad can it?

TNH853

So the new one is quiet, but instead very hot? Another user here wrote that it wasn't nearly as hot as his/her gaming laptop so it can't be that bad can it?

yes, at least for me (dont know how to measure it). when i download something on the cuh-1216a it gets as hot as the cuh-1004a while gaming.

pallepaf

Neo Member
Has anyone benchmarked HDD and SSD speeds yet to see if there's any difference to old models?

OCD Guy said he was going to do that over a week ago (see below) but still no word from him...

I received the SSD the next day, but unfortunately I ordered from Amazon using a third party fulfilled by Amazon seller, the Ssd arrived and was clearly a used item, so I didn't use it. The replacement should arrive on Monday.

DCS

Banned
I've had a PS4 with a 1tb SSD in since launch, never found it to be unbearably loud (nothing compared to the 360 and about equal to a PS3 slim) but it does ramp up in certain games. On Friday I'll be getting a 1216 so will let you all know if there are any percievable differences in SSD speeds as well as noise changes.

Chronos24

I've had a PS4 with a 1tb SSD in since launch, never found it to be unbearably loud (nothing compared to the 360 and about equal to a PS3 slim) but it does ramp up in certain games. On Friday I'll be getting a 1216 so will let you all know if there are any percievable differences in SSD speeds as well as noise changes.

Nice! If it's not too much to ask would you mind doing a video of how the new unit sounds? Also since we're all here I'm going to get a bigger HDD when I exchange for the Destiny bundle when it comes out. Whats the general consensus on best drive for the system?

OCD Guy

Is your current ps4 getting loud?

Are you desperate to buy the new quieter revision?

Is all the talk of people buying theirs getting you down?

Well if you're in the UK and don't want to buy from Game then Amazon are now fulfilling orders on the new revision.

CLICK ME

Top Bottom